PDA

View Full Version : "To the moon, Alan, to the moon!"

DJofSD
02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
43 years ago, today, six iron swung on the moon by Alan Shepard.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/grill-room/space-balls-43-year-anniversary-shepards-moon-shot/?cid=twitter_gca_A_LUNARGOLFBLOG

I wonder if the second swing was a mulligan.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-06-2014, 11:46 AM
No need to yell "Fore!"

tucker6
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I wonder how much fuel it took to carry a golf club and ball to the moon. More than we think I bet. Every pound counts when trying to break away from mother earth.

Stillriledup
02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
I wonder how much fuel it took to carry a golf club and ball to the moon. More than we think I bet. Every pound counts when trying to break away from mother earth.

I'm sure they researched that, after all, the US Govt wouldnt ever recklessly spend the publics tax dollar in such a frivolous way.

Right? :rolleyes:

tucker6
02-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I'm sure they researched that, after all, the US Govt wouldnt ever recklessly spend the publics tax dollar in such a frivolous way.

Right? :rolleyes:
The best estimate I could fine with a google search was several thousand dollars in fuel to get the club and 3 balls to the moon, and about $100k in mission control costs for the two minutes of golfing. That's a lot of dough for something that stupid.

Jay Trotter
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
The best estimate I could fine with a google search was several thousand dollars in fuel to get the club and 3 balls to the moon, and about $100k in mission control costs for the two minutes of golfing. That's a lot of dough for something that stupid.Are you really that petty? Sheesh!

Stillriledup
02-06-2014, 06:25 PM
The best estimate I could fine with a google search was several thousand dollars in fuel to get the club and 3 balls to the moon, and about $100k in mission control costs for the two minutes of golfing. That's a lot of dough for something that stupid.

Just raise the taxes to pay for it, after all, we're all made of money, what's another few percent in tax to pay for some moon-golf. :eek:

tucker6
02-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Are you really that petty? Sheesh!
I actually didn't really care except that the question made me curious to search the answer. But now that you mention it, spending over a 100 G's for a gag is a little ridiculous. I guess you folks on the far left are all about frivolous spending.

Tape Reader
02-06-2014, 06:43 PM

That was the PR necessary (well planned) to get the tax payers behind this. Another was a sneak aboard salami sandwich on another mission.

Jay Trotter
02-06-2014, 07:12 PM
I actually didn't really care except that the question made me curious to search the answer. But now that you mention it, spending over a 100 G's for a gag is a little ridiculous. I guess you folks on the far left are all about frivolous spending.First, I'm not on the "far left". Second, the images of the golf shot on the moon are one of the most iconic of all time and well worth whatever it cost. You don't think if they didn't choose that they wouldn't have done something else. You really need to take the stick out of your ass.

tucker6
02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
First, I'm not on the "far left". Second, the images of the golf shot on the moon are one of the most iconic of all time and well worth whatever it cost. You don't think if they didn't choose that they wouldn't have done something else. You really need to take the stick out of your ass.
Trust me, I've seen enough of your posts to know how you lean. You don't need to hide from what you are. You statement about iconic and well worth whatever the cost is just, well, it speaks volumes about you. Thank God you live in Canada. We have enough of you down here.

Jay Trotter
02-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Trust me, I've seen enough of your posts to know how you lean. You don't need to hide from what you are. You statement about iconic and well worth whatever the cost is just, well, it speaks volumes about you. Thank God you live in Canada. We have enough of you down here.What an asshole!

tucker6
02-06-2014, 07:34 PM
What an asshole!
I agree, that's why I said thank goodness you're in Canada. We don't need anymore of you down here. I just didn't think you agreed that you were one. Kudos for accepting yourself as-is. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
02-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Not everyone in the world wants to live "down there"! Especially with people like you around.

Typical that you bring politics into a sport thread. :bang:

tucker6
02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Not everyone in the world wants to live "down there"! Especially with people like you around.

Have a lovely evening in Manitoba.

Stillriledup
02-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Correct, not everyone wants to live HERE in the winter. :D

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Miami+Beach+FL+USFL0543:1:US

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Trust me, I've seen enough of your posts to know how you lean. You don't need to hide from what you are. You statement about iconic and well worth whatever the cost is just, well, it speaks volumes about you. Thank God you live in Canada. We have enough of you down here.Show a little respect...you're talking to the master of scorekeepers on this site. I should ban your obnoxious ass post-haste, however, with over 2,000 posts and one who has never gotten on my radar before, I'll cut you one break.

You're being ridiculous going on and on about wasted money with the moon golf shot. What's next on your hit list?

And Jay's right. No reason to bring politics (personal attack style) into this thread.

You're WAY out of line here.

horses4courses
02-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Just imagine it........

In Rear Admiral Shepard's memoirs of the historic lunar landing, he stated his one and only regret. It was that he had intended to bring a golf ball and club along on the mission, but was refused his request due to fiscal restrictions on Capitol Hill.

Nice, huh?

tucker6
02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Show a little respect...you're talking to the master of scorekeepers on this site. I should ban your obnoxious ass post-haste, however, with over 2,000 posts and one who has never gotten on my radar before, I'll cut you one break.

You're being ridiculous going on and on about wasted money with the moon golf shot. What's next on your hit list?

And Jay's right. No reason to bring politics (personal attack style) into this thread.

You're WAY out of line here.
That's why I stopped with the posting. I was over the line. My apologies to JT.

However, my comment on the cost to golf on the moon still stands.

cj's dad
02-06-2014, 11:34 PM
That's why I stopped with the posting. I was over the line. My apologies to JT.

However, my comment on the cost to golf on the moon still stands.

Weak. This is foremost in your thoughts? A great moment in Americas history and you are worrying about the cost ? Take a deep breath and count backwards from 10- you"ll feel better. Ahhhh!

Marshall Bennett
02-07-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm still waiting for a liberal to post that the entire space program in as far as going to the moon was a government sham and never happened. :lol:

tucker6
02-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Weak. This is foremost in your thoughts? A great moment in Americas history and you are worrying about the cost ? Take a deep breath and count backwards from 10- you"ll feel better. Ahhhh!
Okay, I took your advice and slept on it. I'm still having a difficult time understanding why golfing on the moon is such a great moment in American history. Really? Forget the cost. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. It was pointless.

JustRalph
02-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Okay, I took your advice and slept on it. I'm still having a difficult time understanding why golfing on the moon is such a great moment in American history. Really? Forget the cost. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. It was pointless.

It was also about shoving it in the Soviets face......don't forget.

It's all lead to this too..........and this is a scary thing for some other countries

http://www.news.com.au/world/a-us-air-force-secret-x37b-space-plane-has-been-in-space-for-more-than-400-days-why/story-fndir2ev-1226818463081

Watch the video..........interesting info

Robert Goren
02-07-2014, 07:43 AM

It's all lead to this too..........and this is a scary thing for some other countries

http://www.news.com.au/world/a-us-air-force-secret-x37b-space-plane-has-been-in-space-for-more-than-400-days-why/story-fndir2ev-1226818463081

Watch the video..........interesting infoI think you have hit on something there. You had to around back then to understand why showing up the USSR was so important. We were literally the Soviets fighting for hearts and minds back then. It was not clear to very many people back then the Soviet way of life would implode in 15 years. It also wasn't clear that the Soviets were miles behind us in everything but military hardware. They managed to keep that a secret.

tucker6
02-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Watch the video..........interesting info
I know. I'm just trying to be consistent in my beliefs. If I rail against govt waste in today's world, I need to rail against it in yesteryear too. I'm not talking about the space program here, which I support. I'm talking about waste along the edges, like golfing.

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

This applies to this thread. It's not all about frugality when you're putting on a show, and the moon thing was a show for the world as much as it was anything else. Thus the golf and why the money was well spent.