PDA

View Full Version : IRS Phone Scam

upthecreek
02-06-2014, 09:26 AM
February 6, 2014
IRS Phone Scam
Beware of a new scam in which a phony phone call seems very realistic.

This phone scam demands immediate payment of a bogus tax bill—and uses the last four digits of victims’ Social Security numbers.

The caller ID is “spoofed” to seem as though the call comes from the IRS.

Thieves sometimes send victims a false e-mail as well—using the IRS logo and format.

The scammers say that if victims do not pay immediately, they can be arrested or deported or lose their business or driver’s license. But the IRS initiates taxpayer contact only by US mail, never by phone or e-mail…and the agency does not work *directly with police or immigration officials.

Self-defense: If you get any initial call claiming to be from the IRS, hang up and report the scam to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, 800-366-4484. If you get an e-mail, forward it to phishing@irs.gov without opening any attachments—it may contain malware.

Dave Schwartz
02-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
:ThmbUp:

davew
02-06-2014, 06:09 PM
I wonder how they get the last 4 digits of the SS# ? Is this a ACA software leak being exploited?

tucker6
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I wonder how they get the last 4 digits of the SS# ? Is this a ACA software leak being exploited?
South Carolina had millions of SS numbers stolen from their tax database. The list of stolen identity stories is longer than my arm. When thieves steal, there are apparently many uses for the stolen info.

Tom
02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Sounds like something the real IRS would do.

redshift1
02-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Sounds like something the real IRS would do.

Only conservatives need worry.