PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby Accommodations

Segwin
02-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello All:

The wife and I are hoping to go to the derby this year. Any recommendations on lodgings nearby?

Thanks!

iceknight
02-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Hello All:

The wife and I are hoping to go to the derby this year. Any recommendations on lodgings nearby?

Thanks! Sounds fabulous! A new trend in the lodging market is called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com/c/nsoundarrajan) . It is a peer-to-peer rental, but works through a trusted company acting as a booking agency in the middle.

More of a homey feeling, worth checking out and you can actually talk to people after booking it and usually cancel (if well ahead) for no charge.
I have not stayed at Louisville (but I see one or two cool ranch style options available there, worth checking out) but I have stayed in New Mexico, Miami and Monterey CA and had great experiences in all those places. I have also rented out extra room in my place in Central PA during football games and all my visitors have had a great time.

Segwin
02-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks much IK for the info - much obliged.

Grits
02-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Like Ice Knight, though a different one, I have used this rental group in the past.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/kentucky/louisville

As you'll see there are homes throughout large cities, as well as the mountains, beaches, etc. You're communicating directly with the homeowner and this is always a plus.

Whether you choose this route, or a hotel, you have a limited amount of time, at this point, in finding availability. If this happens, your next best city is Lexington, about an 1hr. 15 minutes east of Churchill.

lamboguy
02-05-2014, 11:12 AM
there are nice hotels in Louisville that charge big money for the event. there are hotels 20 minutes away that charge about $100 a night tops in towns like Bardstown. i usually stay at a friends house when i go.

TheGarMan
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM
The family and I were lucky enough to land tickets to the 2014 Derby in the November presale. I immediately got online and started researching area hotels (two months ago). What I found was the obvious tripling and even quadrupling of nightly rates because of the Derby. Many places quoted $400 - $500 for Friday and Saturday night. Apparently, the big travel companies suck up all the rooms, in an effort to sell "Derby Experience Packages" bundling "overpriced rooms" along with "overpriced tickets" to the uninformed. :D We ended up booking our stay at a nicely reviewed and highly recommended Red Roof Inn, about 4 miles from the track. Tuesday and Wednesday were $80.00 a night.. Thursday was $200ish, Friday and Saturday were $300.00ish. It was expensive, but to be honest, it was the most reasonable "deal" I could find. (Two months ago). I have been to hundreds of "events" and between the tickets, the hotels, this is probably the most blatant "cash grab" I have ever witnessed :) :) -- However, I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. We will pay it, and we will make the most of it and we will have a BLAST. . After all , ITS THE DERBY! :ThmbUp:

Kybred
02-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I live about 50 miles south of Louisville in Elizabethtown and there are plenty of hotels here on the north side of town with direct access to I65. I do not know what the rates are for that weekend but I'm sure they are above normal. Plenty of good places to eat although not 5 star quality...i.e...Texas Roadhouse, O'Charlie's...etc...The Oaks and Derby venues are gonna gouge you no matter what, as is the case with any big sporting event. I don't attend these as a fan but I have worked both events as fundraisers for my kids and you will enjoy either or both (I would personally do both). Parking and so forth are a nightmare for the events but I think you can take a TARC bus from Kentucky Fair and Expo Center which is close to the track. Keep in mind that in order to sit down on anything but the ground in the infield, you have to have a ticket for the event. If you just show up, then you pay a general admission (cash only) price to enter the grounds. Sorry for the lengthy post.

iceknight
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Like Ice Knight, though a different one, I have used this rental group in the past.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/kentucky/louisville

As you'll see there are homes throughout large cities, as well as the mountains, beaches, etc. You're communicating directly with the homeowner and this is always a plus. Nice, I am always on the look out for offbeat stay options, thanks Grits.

I live about 50 miles south of Louisville in Elizabethtown if you have extra guest rooms and no friends visiting, then you could be getting on airbnb or something, hosting people and make some extra wagering money :) for your derby picks ! :ThmbUp:

Segwin
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks All.

Planning on Friday and Saturday.

Anyone else going?

TheGarMan
02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks All.

Planning on Friday and Saturday.

Anyone else going?

I'll be there with the family. God Willing we are doing the entire "Triple Crown" this year.

Gar