PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston and Turf Paradise Feb 3.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Only 2 tracks (for the most part) running in entire country and yep, you guessed, races going off at exactly the same time.

To the second.

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Don't forget LaD is running quarter horses and their post time is also in line with Hou and TuP :bang:

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Don't forget LaD is running quarter horses and their post time is also in line with Hou and TuP :bang:

True. I was just thinking the only 2 signals worth betting are SH and TuP who are running actual T Breds, and they're running at exactly the same time. For LaD to run on top of the only 2 real signals is just embarrassing for them, especially since TVG is showing all 3 tracks.

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2014, 04:09 PM
The horsemen did it.

:D

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
The horsemen did it.

:D
I knew they were behind this...I KNEW it!

NTamm1215
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Sam Houston had a 20 minute delay in the 2nd race and has been stuck in a tough spot post time-wise the rest of the day. They should just go long for one of these races to get away from TuP.

Zydeco
02-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Seems like there is a little seperation now.

cj
02-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Sam Houston had a 20 minute delay in the 2nd race and has been stuck in a tough spot post time-wise the rest of the day. They should just go long for one of these races to get away from TuP.

Surprised SRU missed that. They took a jockey to the hospital. Obviously sometimes things happen you can't predict.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Surprised SRU missed that. They took a jockey to the hospital. Obviously sometimes things happen you can't predict.

So you're suggesting its impossible to NOT run on top of each other when essentially 2 tracks are racing in the entire country? If they had a 20 minute delay, what's 5 more minutes to not overlap? You're acting as if their hands were tied and there is nothing they could have done.

cj
02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
So you're suggesting its impossible to NOT run on top of each other when essentially 2 tracks are racing in the entire country? If they had a 20 minute delay, what's 5 more minutes to not overlap? You're acting as if their hands were tied and there is nothing they could have done.

I'm suggesting that it wasn't a priority. Sure, they could have done a better job, but stuff happens sometimes, don't think this was that big of a deal. When they schedule on top of each other, that is much worse.

Also, there were three tracks running, and five were scheduled. If I were the GM at one of the tracks today, I would have called the other one and made sure we spread out. But most tracks operate in its own little world.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm suggesting that it wasn't a priority. Sure, they could have done a better job, but stuff happens sometimes, don't think this was that big of a deal. When they schedule on top of each other, that is much worse.

I agree, unfortunately, the racing industry doesnt seem to make conflicting post times a priority....where their priorities lie is anyone's guess at this time.

TravisVOX
02-03-2014, 06:05 PM

True. I was just thinking the only 2 signals worth betting are SH and TuP who are running actual T Breds, and they're running at exactly the same time. For LaD to run on top of the only 2 real signals is just embarrassing for them, especially since TVG is showing all 3 tracks.

To be honest, when it comes to the Q's, we actually do better just pushing the races through than adding extra time to the work day because of how little they handle. I could sit up stairs and move races around like I do during the t-breds, but with 99% of our handle coming from off-track, it's a wash when you factor in operating expenses of the race card. That said, we were up year-over-year with awful field sizes and one less race. Still, one full day of QH handle is like 1.15 decent thoroughbred races.

Not to trivialize the Q's and in a pitch of self-defense, if you follow our times during the t-bred meet, you'll see we are rarely going up against big signals.

fmolf
02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
both tracks had largely unbettable races in my estimation.Lots of prohibitive favorites that got the job done.

Just a Fan
02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
To be honest, when it comes to the Q's, we actually do better just pushing the races through than adding extra time to the work day because of how little they handle. I could sit up stairs and move races around like I do during the t-breds, but with 99% of our handle coming from off-track, it's a wash when you factor in operating expenses of the race card. That said, we were up year-over-year with awful field sizes and one less race. Still, one full day of QH handle is like 1.15 decent thoroughbred races.

Travis, LaD ran only 8 races. Maybe 3 or 4 of the races would have to be pushed back a few minutes to fit into a window... the races would only take 15-20 more minutes at most to complete. Its hard to swallow that adding just 20 more minutes to the workday/operational expenses couldn't be offset by the additional handle, particularly on a day that there are only 2 other tracks running. And even if it came out to be just a wash, its disappointing that a track would go with the option that does not try to maximize their handle, their national exposure, and the television coverage they get on TVG. It seems like a defeatist attitude.

TravisVOX
02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Travis, LaD ran only 8 races. Maybe 3 or 4 of the races would have to be pushed back a few minutes to fit into a window... the races would only take 15-20 more minutes at most to complete. Its hard to swallow that adding just 20 more minutes to the workday/operational expenses couldn't be offset by the additional handle, particularly on a day that there are only 2 other tracks running. And even if it came out to be just a wash, its disappointing that a track would go with the option that does not try to maximize their handle, their national exposure, and the television coverage they get on TVG. It seems like a defeatist attitude.

To truly enjoy the benefits of moving post times around you have to move more than a handful of minutes, especially with tracks like Turf Paradise on the docket, who routinely take an extra minute on the warm-up. With the marketplace so small, it's pretty critical to allow other pools to price-out.

The ideal time to follow a track is ten minutes. That allows for the race to run, the race results to go official (with a buffer for a photo finish) and for people to have a chance to look at your race and subsequently bet. Anything shorter than ten minutes becomes less likely to work with each less minute.

And like I said, with 8 races (one less than last year) and miserable field sizes, we were still up year over year. Even if we grew handle by 10% yesterday additional with aggressive post time movement, because handle for the Q's is literally 97.2% off-track, the bottom-line impact is exceptionally small. As in, you might make more selling lemonade from your front yard small.

I did not mean to sound like a defeatist, but take yesterday for example...

The delay at SHRP put us in a pinch. We have tight posts to jump ahead of them, but their delay put them right on top of us. If I push us back 8 minutes to avoid them, we're right on top of Turf Paradise.

speed
02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
And like I said, with 8 races (one less than last year) and miserable field sizes, we were still up year over year. Even if we grew handle by 10% yesterday additional with aggressive post time movement, because handle for the Q's is literally 97.2% off-track, the bottom-line impact is exceptionally small. As in, you might make more selling lemonade from your front yard small.

This speaks volumes about the industry. Moving post times because it helps you're players is not enough reason. So exceptionally small increase in handle and doing a good thing for ur customers is not enough reason to move post times around. Says a bunch perhaps.

TravisVOX
02-04-2014, 01:32 PM
This speaks volumes about the industry. Moving post times because it helps you're players is not enough reason. So exceptionally small increase in handle and doing a good thing for ur customers is not enough reason to move post times around. Says a bunch perhaps.

As a result of their delay, we were two minutes behind them for two races, then two minutes ahead of them for one race and ultimately four minutes ahead of them for the last. Throughout the course of the day you eventually have to crossover another track, it's about picking your pots vs. going at the same time all day long. If I had posted an additional 8 minutes on the one race to get in a better spot vs. them, then we're on top of Turf Paradise. It's all a balancing act.

speed
02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Travis i was more speaking to you're statement that the increase in handle was not enough to warrant doing it. Think i took you're words a bit too harsh. From ur reply it is obvious that you do attempt to time you're races around other tracks.
Cheers