PDA

View Full Version : Chasing

dirty moose
02-03-2014, 12:09 AM
I went thru a bad day today, wasn't even down that much and it was early in the day. Instead of just sticking to the game plan I started chasing and making ridiculous bets till I blew thru a bunch of cash....

What do you guys do to control this? How do you stop it before it starts?
Thanks.
Moose

Racey
02-03-2014, 12:17 AM
common....best to never chase I missed a few bets today did it myself... just not your day sometimes

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2014, 12:24 AM
... How do you stop it before it starts?
Thanks.
Moose

Print this post out and tape it to your wallet/computer monitor before your next day of play.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 12:49 AM
I went thru a bad day today, wasn't even down that much and it was early in the day. Instead of just sticking to the game plan I started chasing and making ridiculous bets till I blew thru a bunch of cash....

Thanks.
Moose

It is highly unlikely that anyone else could teach you to stop chasing your losses. When you've lost enough money doing it...then you'll learn to stop doing it all by yourself.

And if not...then you'll eventually stop out of necessity.

proximity
02-03-2014, 01:10 AM
I think that every time you're about to get in this situation you need to focus yourself with a question: what is more important to me.... having a winning day (not always possible) or sticking to my game plan (always possible)?

RacingFan1992
02-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Are there people here who do not gamble or am I the only one? Whenever people ask me if I bet on the horses I tell them I pick a horse to see if it can win: "If the horse wins then I get mad but if I loose I feel better about myself" I don't gamble never have and never will. My dad once told me that he doesn't care who won the 1989 Woodward but rather who is going to win the 2014 Woodward.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Are there people here who do not gamble or am I the only one? Whenever people ask me if I bet on the horses I tell them I pick a horse to see if it can win: "If the horse wins then I get mad but if I loose I feel better about myself" I don't gamble never have and never will. My dad once told me that he doesn't care who won the 1989 Woodward but rather who is going to win the 2014 Woodward.

Does your DAD bet?

Pensacola Pete
02-03-2014, 02:24 AM
My "day" runs from January 1st to December 31st. It's a lot easier to walk away from a bad day if you view it as part of a bigger "session."

letswastemoney
02-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Make a habit of taking a walk after you lose. Give yourself a 20 minute time out, while assuring yourself that you'll go back to betting afterwards. The bigger pause you give yourself, the more time you can talk some logic into yourself.

dirty moose
02-03-2014, 06:07 AM
common....best to never chase I missed a few bets today did it myself... just not your day sometimes

I know this in my head, easier said than done I guess.

Print this post out and tape it to your wallet/computer monitor before your next day of play.

Good Idea.

Make a habit of taking a walk after you lose. Give yourself a 20 minute time out, while assuring yourself that you'll go back to betting afterwards. The bigger pause you give yourself, the more time you can talk some logic into yourself.

This is a great idea, I was thinking about doing something like this, just getting up from the computer and walking away.

I've also noticed when I'm playing the races with someone else; I don't make any unnecessary bets. Same if I'm betting at the track. I guess that's pretty obvious as to why. Need to keep the mind busy.

Thanks for the help fellas.:ThmbUp: It's appreciated.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 06:24 AM

Thanks.
Moose

I think the key is to find a way to not feel pain or not be "hurting" after a loss. If you make a wager you love and you lose, if you "love your bet" you might be less likely to chase a good bet with just "any bet".

I know that i try my hardest to make "good bets" and if i pull the trigger on what i'm convinced is a great wager and a great pick, i'm ok if i lose because i know i made the right play. If i lose a bet i make that i know was a fantastic play, i'll say a few times to myself "i love my bet, i love my bet".

When you love a play and you feel good about the bets you've made, you are less likely to turn right around a few minutes later and make a "rushed" wager on something you really dont like.

RacingFan1992
02-03-2014, 09:28 AM
My dad would bet if I knew who was going to win and then I could retire. :lol:

burnsy
02-03-2014, 10:37 AM
First off, it happens to every one. Bad days are part of the "game". The important thing is to accept it, shake it off and "live" to fight another day. I am a control freak. I usually "map out" which races I will play... BEFORE I START. I also set aside a number on how much I'm willing to risk or "lose" that day. I never "double up" or increase wagers to "get it back". Sticking to a "plan" of which races you will play is tough when you are losing (I mess it up sometimes too) but its important. Sometimes walking away is the best thing you can do for yourself...its hard to do, but you don't feel like you wasted money the next day. Then it becomes a cycle and you get yourself a nice fat losing streak. I firmly believe that your "confidence level" or "psyche" can perpetuate losing. When you are losing...tomorrow is more important than today.

Robert Fischer
02-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Thanks.
Moose

This isn't a game where you can get away from your money management game plan.
Too exciting of a game.

That's one of prerequisites and conditions of betting on the horses - you have to know your money management game plan and you have to treat it as an unbreakable law.

Robert Goren
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
The key is to know when your methods are not working. After each race you should ask yourself "What went wrong?" When the answer is "I haven't clue!" for 2 or 3 races in a row, it is time to call it a day. Nobody has all the answer to this game and there are days when there are forces deciding races that you figure out on the fly.

DeltaLover
02-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I do not think that there exist a single gambler who have not been guilty of
steaming several times during his life. Of course as you mature you can
minimize it, although the physiological battle against your self destructing
instinct will remain with you for ever. Reading modern psychology will
certainly help to understand how these type of sentiments are originated and how
to mitigate them.

A couple of books I can suggest in regards to this topic are the following:

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1389673115l/25489.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AQ6QEP22L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

raybo
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks.
Moose

Patience, discipline, and consistency, in one's handicapping method and wagering method. That's how I prevent doing stupid things in racing.

Dance with the one that brung you!

cutchemist42
02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Not sure if it would help, but I handicap the races the day before so I know exactly which races and which horses I'm betting and never anything more.

Do you mean that your chasing races you had not handicapped before? Are you betting races you would not have had you won the prior bet?

dirty moose
02-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm at work right now but I read over everything quickly. You guys have a lot of good ideas. I'm going to re-read all of them after work. (UPS driver in New York)
Thanks for all the help. Keep it coming.

dirty moose
02-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Not sure if it would help, but I handicap the races the day before so I know exactly which races and which horses I'm betting and never anything more.

Do you mean that your chasing races you had not handicapped before? Are you betting races you would not have had you won the prior bet?

Yes exactly. Betting races I did not cap. I had no business making any of those bets

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 01:49 PM
I battled chasing for over 20 years...and it wasn't because I didn't know that chasing was a destructive habit...or that I didn't know how to put a stop to it. Every day I would promise myself that I wouldn't chase...and every day I would come home angry with myself for breaking my earlier promises. This is an addictive game...and it's hard to play it properly when turmoil arises.

More "information" from others isn't likely to help you; you probably know EXACTLY what to do...but are incapable of actually doing it. Some players are NEVER able to do it.

Just look at yourself in the mirror...and ask yourself if you are a mature player or not...

dilanesp
02-03-2014, 02:01 PM
In general terms, here's some advice (some of which I've sort of converted from my poker play, where the same issues come up):

1. Prepare. Obviously you can't take the position that you won't take any information into account and change a plan at the track-- there are late scratches, a horse could look awful or great in the post parade, a rainstorm could break out, a track bias could materialize, the odds could not be what you expected, etc. But in general, you should be making very few changes to your game plan. You should know exactly what you are going to bet on every race before you start betting the card. And ideally, on most days, you shouldn't deviate from your plan at all.

That keeps you honest. The gambler's mentality causes people to confuse the desire to get even late on the card with specific, good reasons to alter a betting plan.

2. If you have decided to pass a race late in the card, or to bet a token bet on it, never change this plan. I know this means you will theoretically give up some value in situations where, for instance, a track bias could allow you to make a profitable play. But giving up value is OK sometimes-- we are human beings and it is more important that you not do something that could cause psychological temptation. The losses induced by tilt are much higher than the gains associated with a late-card audible.

3. If you are having a losing day, instead of taking a second look at races late on the card, start handicapping for tomorrow or the next day. That will both get your mind off of chasing and give you an opportunity to remember that tomorrow is, in fact, another day and there may be a race on tomorrow's card that helps you recover some of your losses.

4. If losing bothers you, take breaks. We don't use our best judgment when we are feeling terrible. There's nothing about horse racing that requires that you bet the races every day. Taking a day off is a great idea. Freshens your mind up. Maybe allows you to spend more time handicapping the following day's card.

5. Impose rules that force discipline, even if they might give up a bit of value. For instance, you can set a stop loss and just say that if you hit that point you aren't going to bet any more the rest of the day. That sucks, of course, if you have some big winner late on the card. But it also keeps you out of situations where you aren't using good judgment and could make negative expected value plays. Good poker players will often leave a game they are theoretically a big winner in, because they have lost so much they can't make good decisions anymore. It's OK to do this.

6. If you are tempted to increase the stakes and press your luck, instead decrease the stakes. Yes, you won't make your money back if you go from betting $1000 on every race you play to betting $200. But at the same time, this can rebuild your confidence and protect your bankroll.

raybo
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I battled chasing for over 20 years...and it wasn't because I didn't know that chasing was a destructive habit...or that I didn't know how to put a stop to it. Every day I would promise myself that I wouldn't chase...and every day I would come home angry with myself for breaking my earlier promises. This is an addictive game...and it's hard to play it properly when turmoil arises.

More "information" from others isn't likely to help you; you probably know EXACTLY what to do...but are incapable of actually doing it. Some players are NEVER able to do it.

Just look at yourself in the mirror...and ask yourself if you are a mature player or not...

I agree, my post lists what I do, not what others are capable of doing. As Thas said, some will never be able to do what is required. Control of one's emotions, in the heat of battle, is rare. So, if you don't have that ability at present, then start working on it, as it can be developed if one really wants it bad enough.

Overlay
02-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I would have difficulty formulating a carved-in-stone wagering plan for a given race or race card anytime prior to the races themselves, since I wouldn't know what the actual odds of the horses were going to be. (I know that odds can change late -- even after the race has started -- but to me it's still preferable to have some idea -- or at least a better idea than the morning line can provide -- of how my assessment compares to the public's, both in making my selections and in sizing my wagers.)

Value is my primary means of imposing and maintaining discipline. My methodology also has "red flags" built into it that keep me from blindly or randomly chasing longshots in the hope of recovering prior losses. (On the other hand, though, since my approach is designed to put me in the position of consistently betting with the percentages of the game rather than against them, playing more races gives that edge a greater opportunity to assert itself.)

raybo
02-03-2014, 03:35 PM
I would have difficulty formulating a carved-in-stone wagering plan for a given race or race card anytime prior to the races themselves, since I wouldn't know what the actual odds of the horses were going to be. (I know that odds can change late -- even after the race has started -- but to me it's still preferable to have some idea -- or at least a better idea than the morning line can provide -- of how my assessment compares to the public's, both in making my selections and in sizing my wagers.)

Value is my primary means of imposing and maintaining discipline. My methodology also has "red flags" built into it that keep me from blindly or randomly chasing longshots in the hope of recovering prior losses. (On the other hand, though, since my approach is designed to put me in the position of consistently betting with the percentages of the game rather than against them, playing more races gives that edge a greater opportunity to assert itself.)

Agree! My program also produces pass/play notifications that prevent me from moving away from the core of the method, viable contenders and value. We also have several rankings methods we can test/use to enable more plays, and the resulting improved consistency that larger number of plays produces.

Valuist
02-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes exactly. Betting races I did not cap. I had no business making any of those bets

Are you betting at the track? An OTB? Or online?

If you are at a track or OTB, limit yourself to no more than two bets. You go to the track, or OTB, bet them and leave. Can always watch the races on TV at home, or online. This way, you are only betting your strongest opinions and aren't vulnerable to chasing.

dilanesp
02-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Here's the thing. If you can truly, honestly, adhere to an objective criterion for wagering, more power to you.

On the other hand, I play against poker players, every time I play poker, who believe they are doing this but in fact tilt their butt off. And I exploit their weaknesses.

The gambling world runs on delusion and arrogance (see http://jessetakesashot.blogspot.com/2013/04/delusion-and-arrogance.html ). Most people who think they don't tilt actually do. And most people who think they are capable of making independent judgments based on objective criteria without reference to their short term gains and losses actually can't do so.

If you are one of the exceptions, that's fine. I have no reason to doubt you, and there definitely ARE exceptions.

But in my opinion, based on all the strategically-sound poker players I see who make tilt-induced mistakes, the vast majority of advantage gamblers would significantly benefit from artificially-imposed limitations on their play which might involve passing up profitable situations because they are unable to be completely honest with themselves when they are running "cold" or "hot". In other words, even if what you do works for you, I don't think it's good advice for most players.

JohnGalt1
02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I usually place all bets before the first race I would play at a certain track.

Say I want to bet race 2, 5, 6, and 9.

After race 7 I don't "suddenly" discover a bet in the 8th race, regardless of my results in the 2,5 or 6th race.

I don't get shut out.

If my horse's odds are too low, or have another reason to not like the bet I will go to the window, SAM or on my computer and cancel my bet(s) 2 minutes to post. Set you own minimum odds reasons to cancel a bet.

Getting my money back is almost like a win since I'm putting cash back into my pocket or account for a better opportunity.

I have losing days, but I never steam or lose control doing this.

I have done this betting horses and playing blackjack, so I know the feeling.

Good luck is reigning this in.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Here's the thing. If you can truly, honestly, adhere to an objective criterion for wagering, more power to you.

On the other hand, I play against poker players, every time I play poker, who believe they are doing this but in fact tilt their butt off. And I exploit their weaknesses.

The gambling world runs on delusion and arrogance (see http://jessetakesashot.blogspot.com/2013/04/delusion-and-arrogance.html ). Most people who think they don't tilt actually do. And most people who think they are capable of making independent judgments based on objective criteria without reference to their short term gains and losses actually can't do so.

If you are one of the exceptions, that's fine. I have no reason to doubt you, and there definitely ARE exceptions.

But in my opinion, based on all the strategically-sound poker players I see who make tilt-induced mistakes, the vast majority of advantage gamblers would significantly benefit from artificially-imposed limitations on their play which might involve passing up profitable situations because they are unable to be completely honest with themselves when they are running "cold" or "hot". In other words, even if what you do works for you, I don't think it's good advice for most players.

What you have posted in this thread is great advice...and all "tilting" players would profit greatly by putting it to use. But they WON'T put it to use...so they won't profit by it.

We cannot solve our problems or cure our afflictions simply by acquiring new "information". Before we go out looking for new information...we better put to proper use the information that we already have.

The fat man knows why he is obese, and he also knows what he has to do to lose weight. And yet...the bookstore shelves are full with diet books...and more diet books are continuously published all the time. Information is not the answer...and it never was.

Like you, I too have a poker background, and I have had my own battles against tilting at the tables. I have analyzed my own situation and crafted my own guidelines and game-plan...and I have also consulted poker players whom I respect. When I sit at the table, all sorts of well-meaning advice is swirling in my head...and I have every intention of following it throughout the duration of the game. But I know that I won't be able to...because situations will arise which will throw my thinking out of kilter. It's as if an angel who wants my happiness is sitting on my right shoulder...while a devil who is out to destroy me is sitting on my left. And in the middle is poor Thaskalos...trying to play his "A" game all the time -- and usually failing.

We think that we compete against the other players when we gamble...but we are wrong. The REAL competition is internal.

The Zen master says..."He who defeats his enemies is powerful...but he who subdues himself is mightier still".

raybo
02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
That's why someone who has a good analysis method, and a good wagering method, would benefit from automation, which produces the betting interests and also signals pass/play notifications. This takes the emotion out of the process, leaving one the opportunity to just follow one's own method rules. True, some people just won't follow rules, but that's a character flaw that can be developed, if one wants to bad enough.

There are people out there that will lose. They shouldn't be gambling, if they want profit. That's the bottom line. If one can't control oneself, gambling can lead to ruin. It all boils down to how much one wants to be profitable, and how much they are willing to work and sacrifice to attain that. Some have it, and some don't.

Predator35
02-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I always like to have my capping done well in advance of race day. Have a plan and stick to it.

lamboguy
02-03-2014, 07:09 PM
the biggest problem with chasing is that the pool sizes will get you every time in this country.

there was supposed to be a deal for the Hong Kong signal to come here, but they are still in negotiations. that's a place that you can do some good chasing. they can have $3 million or more in a win pool. you can bet $10,000 to win and not budge the board. the only thing you have to do is find the winner's.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 07:18 PM
the biggest problem with chasing is that the pool sizes will get you every time in this country.

there was supposed to be a deal for the Hong Kong signal to come here, but they are still in negotiations. that's a place that you can do some good chasing. they can have $3 million or more in a win pool. you can bet $10,000 to win and not budge the board. the only thing you have to do is find the winner's.

That would be amazing to be able to bet co-mingled into those pools.

dirty moose
02-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Really great stuff guys. Very refreshing to see I'm not the only one who tilt's every now and again. I also used to play a lot of poker. I can recall all the times I titled money away on one hand. It's strange how disciplined I was and still am with regards to poker. I'm a pretty tight player when it comes to poker too.

I think it because I don't see poker as gambling. I've always felt different about poker...Maybe it the success I've had with it, I can't put my finger on it. I do know that I should view horse racing the same way I do poker.

I've got some good ideas for the weekend coming up. (The only time I play), which is also part of the problem. I gonna try them out and try and remain declined.

Thanks again guys. Anymore ideas, I'm all ears.

Moose

Exotic1
02-03-2014, 10:14 PM

And the 10 g's

raybo
02-03-2014, 11:31 PM

That's great, the man wants help to prevent chasing and you're advocating chasing, with even more money. So, do you chase often? How's that going for you?

LottaKash
02-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Dirty Moose, so far you have received some good advice that is based on a wealth of experience, imo....

Still, everyone must find his own way in regards to chasing when on tilt, so, you have work to do in that way of course...

But finding the discipline is often easier said and done....I know this because more than a time or two, I had chased and then had the good (or bad) fourtune of recouping my losses too many times at that, and this only compounded and deferred my learning the discipline that is needed to win for the long haul...

Here is what cured me of chasing: Many years ago, I had doped out the card at the Meadowlands Harness well in advance, and the plan was to "only" wager on the five picks that I had decided to have a "solid" chance to win at good odds....

The outcome on the nite set me in a tailspin unlike any I had experienced before that nite...4 or the 5 picks won, and 2 of them at double digits, and the 5th was a place finish yielding a double digit place price....The outcome, I lost almost $2K on the nite.....My Meadowlands "Pegasus Cronies" laughed me out of the house, and from that day on, I was dubbed "Johnny Chaser"....And I was "chasing winners"....How convoluted was that ?... Well, that was my "almost last" time of chasing....

Sure, since, I have been on a tilt, on many an occasion, and have been severely tempted on many occasions to chase, but the sheer rememberance of that ridiculous nite, has kept me in compliance with the laws of gambling ever since...Nowadays, I just get up, and take a break, and come back later in the card, or not at all....And sometimes, when the hurt is big enough, not for a few days at that...I hate to lose, even whether it is my faulty handicapping or not...

Chasing, imo, is a gamblers "rite of passage", and all successful (or not so) time- tested handicappers and gamblers have for the most part, experienced that same scenario on many a day, but after some "awakening" and rethinking, have somehow come to grips with the reality of losing and not chasing, and that is why they are winning players now, or at the least, prudent gamblers that minimize their losses even tho they are not where they would like to be playing-wise, and we then live to play another day, with renewed confidence, or at least in good spirits...:jump:

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2014, 01:08 AM

Thanks.
Moose

You have to ask yourself a question=do you hate losing more than you love betting?If the answer is yes you'll stop.We all go on tilt at some point in time.I spent 50 cents a few years ago on a tiny notebook and I write in it during the day.If it sounds like erratic gibberish I know I was KO'd by the game.Curing the losing bad habits is easy.I get kaleidoscopes for eyeballs when I'm winning and undo a good run!

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2014, 01:15 AM
I think the key is to find a way to not feel pain or not be "hurting" after a loss. If you make a wager you love and you lose, if you "love your bet" you might be less likely to chase a good bet with just "any bet".

I know that i try my hardest to make "good bets" and if i pull the trigger on what i'm convinced is a great wager and a great pick, i'm ok if i lose because i know i made the right play. If i lose a bet i make that i know was a fantastic play, i'll say a few times to myself "i love my bet, i love my bet".

When you love a play and you feel good about the bets you've made, you are less likely to turn right around a few minutes later and make a "rushed" wager on something you really dont like.

Great point SRU.I honestly can't help but laugh when I make a good bet and something ridiculous happens.GP race 8 Sunday a dirt to turf mediocre entrant wins with a marathon router completing the exacta in a mile turf race.I would never have picked that outcome in a prehistoric era period.Sometimes you have to have a sense of humor about it.I was laughing my arse off!

lamboguy
02-04-2014, 01:54 AM
That's great, the man wants help to prevent chasing and you're advocating chasing, with even more money. So, do you chase often? How's that going for you?you can't chase in this environment these days. when you are betting into small parimutuel pools you have no protection against the law of diminishing returns. if you have a low percentage hit rate in this game today and can't overcome it with the right priced horses you are sunk.

at least in Hong Kong, if you can out sharp the computer outfits there you stand a fighting chance with the bet sizes that you can make into those pools without effecting them to much.

i could tell you about old war stories, but like all good things, those opportunities no longer show up these days

Stillriledup
02-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Great point SRU.I honestly can't help but laugh when I make a good bet and something ridiculous happens.GP race 8 Sunday a dirt to turf mediocre entrant wins with a marathon router completing the exacta in a mile turf race.I would never have picked that outcome in a prehistoric era period.Sometimes you have to have a sense of humor about it.I was laughing my arse off!

Thanks Cincy,

I also say "i love my bet" as the race is running...of course, that's only if i love my bet! If i make a "rushed" wager, i say to myself "you idiot, stupid bet, what are you thinking". :D

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Thanks Cincy,

I also say "i love my bet" as the race is running...of course, that's only if i love my bet! If i make a "rushed" wager, i say to myself "you idiot, stupid bet, what are you thinking". :D

Those type of wagers you're almost without fail break slow and trail the field!Get caught in the gate.Lose the rider.Something to put in bold letters your stupidity.I just started my winter session 2 weeks ago.I had a good day Sunday but have been a real master,a perfectionist of the 3rd place finish.I've got it down to an art!Not talking cheapies either,22-1,35-1,70-1.My eyeballs looked like hard boiled eggs the other morning from being roasted by the steam coming out of my ears!I maintain poise and self control but it still pisses me off afterwards.I woke up today feeling as cool as a cucumber and can't wait to get into action Wednesday.1 good day.All it takes.

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2014, 02:15 AM
you can't chase in this environment these days. when you are betting into small parimutuel pools you have no protection against the law of diminishing returns. if you have a low percentage hit rate in this game today and can't overcome it with the right priced horses you are sunk.

at least in Hong Kong, if you can out sharp the computer outfits there you stand a fighting chance with the bet sizes that you can make into those pools without effecting them to much.

i could tell you about old war stories, but like all good things, those opportunities no longer show up these days

Not sure if it was a computer syndicate wagering the other day at Gulfstream but I saw an exacta with 2 horses over 4-1 pay $35.You can beat that genius simply by win betting.I see most odds depressions in the exotics.It's ridiculous.

lamboguy
02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
any good idea works for awhile until someone else catches up with it and then someone else copy's them and then there are to many on the same thing.

my 2 examples would be that i actually teamed up with a sheet player 25 years ago and killed the house quinela window's in Nevada for about 2 years. the casino's caught on and shut everyone off. the math didn't work in the pari mutuel window.

then maybe about 10 years ago i would bet horses all over the country for big money and get the odds down to 1/9 at the open. by the time the race went off, the horses sometimes went up to 5/2. that worked for awhile until other's caught on.

now i am doing other things because of the bet the break players. this is just ok because all the conditional wager guys wind up on the same horses as the ones that i play these days.

in short, what i have found through the years is that math is much more important that raw ability to be a great handicapper.

Track Collector
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Learning not to chase takes very strong character and determination, and to accept that losing streaks are a part of even successful handicapping. (I say this not as someone who never chases, but as one who has worked out a method to successfully deal with it and minimize its' overall impact.).

Eventually you "might" learn to overcome this, and there is hope that it can be done.

Some of the reasons for chasing may be psychological, in which case the following probably will not help. On the other hand, if the anger of losing money is to become the mechanism/motivation for you to stop or significantly reducing the amount of chasing, I would suggest the following.

When ever you are temped to chase (i.e. wager races you would not normally have played, or wager more that you had originally planned to wager in a race you had planned to play), simply "pretend" you did so. Keep a log and write down your virtual bet and what the financial results would have been. After a significant amount of time, you are going to see and then perhaps recognize how much money you would have lost and are now saving. (You WILL save money, for chasing undoubtedly looses you money, otherwise chasing would not be a problem, would it? :))

Your homework assignment is to start this immediately, and to report back here the 15th and last day of each month. This will make you accountable to someone other than your self (always an excellent idea when trying to overcome something), and to see how serious you are at overcoming this problem.

Are you in?

Tara73
02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
As Conti will tell you. A good soldier a knows when to retreat.

Overlay
02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
When ever you are temped to chase (i.e. wager races you would not normally have played, or wager more that you had originally planned to wager in a race you had planned to play), simply "pretend" you did so. Keep a log and write down your virtual bet and what the financial results would have been. After a significant amount of time, you are going to see and then perhaps recognize how much money you would have lost and are now saving. (You WILL save money, for chasing undoubtedly looses you money, otherwise chasing would not be a problem, would it? :))

Your homework assignment is to start this immediately, and to report back here the 15th and last day of each month. This will make you accountable to someone other than your self (always an excellent idea when trying to overcome something), and to see how serious you are at overcoming this problem.
Reminds me of a quote from a handicapper in Bill Surface's excellent book The Track: A Day in the Life of Belmont Park: "Today I made six big mental bets. All I lost was my mind."

cnollfan
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
OK, I'll admit that I chase, but I'm a focused chaser. I buckle down and find the best potential races left that I haven't looked at yet, and do my best job handicapping and betting those races. I don't necessarily aim to get all of it back and don't wildly increase the size of my bets, but I will take one or two more good swings near the end of an otherwise bad day. If that's a flaw, so be it.

If I can't find anything I won't force it, but I'm going to make sure I can't find anything first.