PDA

View Full Version : state bred?

Harvhorse
02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
is a horse sired by Indian Charlie really a N.Y. Bred?

johnhannibalsmith
02-02-2014, 09:43 PM
What are the requirements for obtaining New York-bred status?
The rules are simple, and effectively create two categories of mares – resident and non-resident. To qualify for registration as a New York-bred, the mare must FOAL in New York State and meet the following domicile requirements.

Resident Mares: Must be continuously in residence in New York State from within 90 days after last cover in the year of conception, and thereafter remain in residence until FOALING the following year, with no breed-back required.
Non-Resident Mares: Must FOAL in New York State, remain in the state for a continuous period of 90 days after foaling, and during that time be BRED BACK to a registered New York stallion. For further information, contact the Fund offices at (518) 395-5492.

https://www.nybreds.com/aboutus/faq/

Robert Goren
02-03-2014, 12:05 AM
I have always thought that there were times when a farm has state breds and KY breds weanlings in the same pin that their identities can become confused, accidently of course.

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, must be tempting to pull some wool and take your best shot at a couple of state-bred pots with a colt by Bernardini out of a Grade I mare by claiming he's by Brooklyn Nick out of a Mr. Sinatra mare and scrap the dream of a trillion dollar syndication deal.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 05:31 AM
That's the first thing i look at when looking at "State bred" sires. I ask myself "is it a REAL sire, or a nickel sire"

NY isnt the only state that lets "Real" sires enter their "State bred" races.

Its something you really need to notice when handicapping.

Just a Fan
02-03-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't have a great knowledge of the breeding side of the business, or the incentives and bonuses that might be involved, but it seems like this should happen even more often. Is there any particular advantage to being a Kentucky-bred? Its not like they have state bred races.

A son of Fusaichi Pegasus won a race on Louisiana Premier night (for La-breds) this past Saturday at Delta. Looked like a monster, actually.

Thebigguy
02-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah, must be tempting to pull some wool and take your best shot at a couple of state-bred pots with a colt by Bernardini out of a Grade I mare by claiming he's by Brooklyn Nick out of a Mr. Sinatra mare and scrap the dream of a trillion dollar syndication deal.

Bernardini has been a total bust/disappointment as a sire.

Thebigguy
02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't have a great knowledge of the breeding side of the business, or the incentives and bonuses that might be involved, but it seems like this should happen even more often. Is there any particular advantage to being a Kentucky-bred? Its not like they have state bred races.

A son of Fusaichi Pegasus won a race on Louisiana Premier night (for La-breds) this past Saturday at Delta. Looked like a monster, actually.

Another total bust as a sire.

Just a Fan
02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Agree about Fu Peg as a bust. I think you are being a bit tough on Bernardini - he stands for 100,000 and his 2013 yearlings averaged 256,000, so he is still held in high regard. (stats are from Bloodhorse).

If you want to argue that he should have produced more given the mares that have been bred to him, I would probably agree. But he's far from a total bust.

Stillriledup
02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Agree about Fu Peg as a bust. I think you are being a bit tough on Bernardini - he stands for 100,000 and his 2013 yearlings averaged 256,000, so he is still held in high regard. (stats are from Bloodhorse).

If you want to argue that he should have produced more given the mares that have been bred to him, I would probably agree. But he's far from a total bust.

Seems to me that a lot of the Bernardini's and FuPegs are "Fancy" looking horses, but they don't really act "Game" you dont see too many of these things "Fighting" to win races, they will win if they are much the best, not loving either sire to produce a horse who will "come again" to win a race.

letswastemoney
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Alpha was Bernardini's best horse last year. That should be the ultimate disappointment.

Bernardini is a bust, except when his horses run on sloppy tracks.