PDA

View Full Version : Verrazano to campaign in Europe

cj
02-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, interesting. You would think maybe a grass try here first would have been wise.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/g1-winner-verrazano-moves-to-obrien-stable-set-for-european-campaign/

nijinski
02-02-2014, 02:24 PM
It certainly is interesting and something to look forward to .
Broodmare sire was a grass champion too so there is some
more sense to the decision . Hope it works out well for Verrazano
and connections!

Saratoga_Mike
02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't understand Pletcher's quote - did he really accomplish that much in the US? He won a couple of Grade I races.

burnsy
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I don't understand Pletcher's quote - did he really accomplish that much in the US? He won a couple of Grade I races.

I agree, he was a proverbial money burner in reality.....but 1 mile on the grass could be what's in order and maybe he belonged there all along. The horse is fast but was he racing where he belonged? "Reality" didn't set in until Breeders Cup time. After the Wood I never thought he was a classic distance horse.....that was just a slow race...and he won that but any further is a stretch. Plus, the article brings up the "record breaking 9 3/4 length" win in the Haskell. Yeah, the other good horse pulled up?

Robert Fischer
02-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I either overestimated his ability initially, or he failed to maintain his ability for whatever reasons.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to breed to him.

Grits
02-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Pletcher trains for Tabor, Magnier, Smith, dba, Coolmore-Ashford Stud, what else can he say?

At the beginning of November, Verrazano was to be retired after the BC Mile with plans announced then to stand in 2014. Must have changed their minds as he came back in the Cigar Mile the end of November. Were they in search of more black type?

Two months have passed. It doesn't take too many weeks on the farm to let down a colt following his racing career, and to determine his fertility.

They've changed their minds again. Trying grass, in search of more black type?

maclr11
02-02-2014, 04:10 PM
He's a dual grade 1 winner that's for sure success.
Now he's going to go across the pond and try there.
I think this is super exciting, a top class American horse staying in training as a 4yo (something we all want to see more of).
He's going to try against top notch horses in the UK for O'Brien. He can try some of the top horses in England and who knows maybe in November he will be at Santa Anita for the Breeders Cup Mile.
He's got the turf breeding, he's a gorgeous physical specimen, he helps More than Ready as a shuttle stallion if he has success and if he wins a Group 1, who wouldn't want to breed to a grade/group 1 winner on dirt in NA and turf in Europe. There's only a few horses that can say that.

I think this is awesome and I'm going to make sure I tune in to watch him.

FantasticDan
02-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I don't understand Pletcher's quote - did he really accomplish that much in the US? He won a couple of Grade I races.He won two Grade 1s and a Grade 2 and 3 in 2013, banking over $1.5M.

That's an exceptional accomplishment.

Some_One
02-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Is the US breeding industry in that much trouble that Europe and Australia is more profitable for owners now?

5k-claim
02-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Is the US breeding industry in that much trouble that Europe and Australia is more profitable for owners now? Hey Some_One, did you attend any sales in 2013? Did you buy anything? How much did you pay?

Did you RTFA?

classhandicapper
02-02-2014, 05:57 PM
First he was going to be retired. Then they gave him another shot because they thought SA was biased for the BC Mile and it compromised his chances. Then they retired him. And now his back for the turf. Hmmmn. I don't think it's a bad idea if they think they can increase his value significantly, but I think I might have wanted to try turf first. If he's not competitive over there he may lose value on top of the time at stud.

It feels like they were never quite satisfied he had achieved his potential.

I hope he does well though. I'd like to see any US based horses do well on turf overseas. I'm getting an inferiority complex.

tucker6
02-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Any chance he's infertile? Seems a plausible reason for the change of heart.

OTM Al
02-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Any chance he's infertile? Seems a plausible reason for the change of heart.

A more plausible explanation is that they will stand him in Australia...

Robert Goren
02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Any chance he's infertile? Seems a plausible reason for the change of heart.That was my first thought.

Grits
02-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Al, at what point has breeding in Australia become more profitable than breeding to our mares, here, or to those in Europe?

When the same owners, Ballydoyle/Coolmore/Ashford's champion turfer, George Washington was retired and found not be be fertile, he was brought back to racing to run in the BC Classic. On dirt, a second time, after having run poorly to finish 6th on it, a year prior. Sadly, George Washington went down, shattering his front cannon bone and his sesamoids while the world watched. An ugly day for racing, and even uglier one for his owners.

Verrazano's a beautiful colt, and one can wish nothing but the best for him.

If Plan A doesn't work, there's always Plan B.

Time will tell.

turninforhome10
02-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Just my personal opinion.
1) Both he and his brother were smart sales by the breeder. The fact that she did not keep to race told me she was more interested in the money before they raced. This is her best female line going back for 3 gens. Strike One for me.
With Pletcher in their corner they both ranked a shot for racing and stallion rights. El Padrino (half brother) went bad after Florida and will stand at North View in PA. The female family has not put out a top stallion in 8 generations of production.
2) The More than Ready top side will increase his marketability in Europe and Australasia.
3) A question? Is the class of European Milers in question that he might fill a niche left behind?
Hear is to him staying sound and maybe finding a different training regimen and surface that might allow him to be a player.

raybo
02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Does anyone here think that V will not be able to run on the turf? Really?

The reasoning for the move seemed quite clear to me, increase his stud value, anywhere other than the USA, which has turned against this horse resoundingly. There are some real V haters here in the States, if I owned him I'd move him too.

And, the question of future value in the USA? The industry here is foundering and if things aren't, somehow, turned around soon, has nothing to look forward to down the road.

I think it's a great bet, win or lose!

classhandicapper
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Does anyone here think that V will not be able to run on the turf? Really?

I thought he was overrated going into the Triple Crown and Travers, but I think he ended his career underrated because of various disappointing efforts that had more to do with the conditions than his talents.

All that said, IMO, based on his dirt form to date, I'd say he's going to have to improve a lot to be at all competitive in Grade 1s in Europe on turf. I'm not sure I'd want to make that bet.

How bad was the support in the US?

burnsy
02-03-2014, 12:23 PM
He won two Grade 1s and a Grade 2 and 3 in 2013, banking over $1.5M.

That's an exceptional accomplishment.

True, if you own him.....as a bettor, the people that backed this horse took the worse of it. Hence, the term "money burner". He was a short price in EVERY race...and some had the nerve to throw the "best in his generation" claim around. Of course, it was completely unfounded. His "exceptional accomplishments" are way lower than the bar that was set. He's good, they think he can do more...who knows....at least we get the chance to see. He has not met expectations (at all) IMO.

raybo
02-03-2014, 02:41 PM
I thought he was overrated going into the Triple Crown and Travers, but I think he ended his career underrated because of various disappointing efforts that had more to do with the conditions than his talents.

All that said, IMO, based on his dirt form to date, I'd say he's going to have to improve a lot to be at all competitive in Grade 1s in Europe on turf. I'm not sure I'd want to make that bet.

How bad was the support in the US?

This website is my barometer, versus the "powers that be" in the industry, and the general public as a whole. That said, if you read some posts here you will clearly see the bias against V. IMO, that equates to lower value in the future for this horse.

In that regard, the move overseas, and the switch to turf (which I believe the horse will handle well, regarding his ability to run on it, not how successful he might be on it) appears to me to be a wise decision, win or lose. Nobody knows what will happen in the future, one can only make intelligent thoughtful decisions, which carry no guarantees, of course.

Time will tell if his future value, at stud, will increase or not, that is beyond anyone's control.

An interesting proposition at the very least.

Valuist
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, interesting. You would think maybe a grass try here first would have been wise.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/g1-winner-verrazano-moves-to-obrien-stable-set-for-european-campaign/

Absolutely. He may appear to be bred for turf, but until he races on it, who knows? Cigar appeared to be much better suited to grass racing based on his pedigree and things didn't turn out that way.

taxicab
02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I agree with the majority here.
Grass racing due to Verrazano's bloodlines seems logical.
A couple thoughts on Verrazano.
He should benefit immensely getting away from the tighter turns of American racing.
Remember, Verrazano is a very bad turn horse.
Europe will be much easier for this guy with their straight ( no turns ) miles, and turns that are not nearly as sharp as in the states.

The sire {MTR} is a fabulous "hard" grass guy (firm turf if you will), sort of like the iconic stallion Danehill was.
This kind of explains MTR popularity and success in Australia, with all of the harder grass courses down under.
Only guessing here,but perhaps the Coolmore breeding guru's are thinking a couple of nice Group victories in Europe ( Royal Ascot ? ) will make Verrazano a little more popular in Australia due to his sire.

CincyHorseplayer
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I think Verrazano could take off on the turf.Pedigree is no secret and he may prefer it.The way his pacelines were I thought he might be better suited to it ie I think he wanted to run 80-100 more than 100-100(just for example).I'll be eager to see him run.I hope they give it a legitimate shot too,like more than 3 races.I don't see why they didn't try here either but hey,who cares?

Some_One
02-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Sure V might be able to run just as good figs on turf in America as he does dirt, can he do it in Europe without the meds?

raybo
02-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Sure V might be able to run just as good figs on turf in America as he does dirt, can he do it in Europe without the meds?

So, the question is not whether or not he can run on turf, but whether or not he can run without drugs? They were going to retire him over here and you're concerned about drugs? :confused:

Valuist
02-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I agree with the majority here.
Grass racing due to Verrazano's bloodlines seems logical.
A couple thoughts on Verrazano.
He should benefit immensely getting away from the tighter turns of American racing.
Remember, Verrazano is a very bad turn horse.
Europe will be much easier for this guy with their straight ( no turns ) miles, and turns that are not nearly as sharp as in the states.

The sire {MTR} is a fabulous "hard" grass guy (firm turf if you will), sort of like the iconic stallion Danehill was.
This kind of explains MTR popularity and success in Australia, with all of the harder grass courses down under.
Only guessing here,but perhaps the Coolmore breeding guru's are thinking a couple of nice Group victories in Europe ( Royal Ascot ? ) will make Verrazano a little more popular in Australia due to his sire.

If its not broke, why fix it? Sure I thought Verrazano was a bit overrated, but he's still a Grade 1 winner on dirt. They should've at least tried him on turf to see if he could handle it. Not a workout but an actual stakes race. Bloodlines aren't everything. And like somebody else said, who knows how he'll handle racing without Lasix? Maybe he takes to turf but there clearly IS a downside here.

taxicab
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
If its not broke, why fix it? Sure I thought Verrazano was a bit overrated, but he's still a Grade 1 winner on dirt. They should've at least tried him on turf to see if he could handle it. Not a workout but an actual stakes race. Bloodlines aren't everything. And like somebody else said, who knows how he'll handle racing without Lasix? Maybe he takes to turf but there clearly IS a downside here.

In a word, his Sire.
More Than Ready.
Coolmore owns Verrazano.
There is no way in the world that program wasn't going to try a multiple Gr. 1 winner out of MTR on the grass.
More on MTR breeding prowess.
Note the number of countries he has sired grass winners/GR. 1 winners in.
Also note how well MTR crosses up with broodmares sired by Danehill/Giant Causeway.

129 stakes winners - 2nd best among all active North American sires
243 stakes horses from 161 different broodmare sires
58 Group/Graded SWs, 16 Group/Grade 1 winners
Three Breeders' Cup winners of the past four years
The Best Beyer Speed Figure by far of any 3-year-old in 2013 - 116 by VERRAZANO
31 stakes victories Feb. 23, 2013 to February 1st, 2014, incl. G1 SWs:
VERRAZANO, MORE THAN SACRED, SAMAREADY, AN SERAFINI
20 SWs, 12 GSWs in 2013, Northern & Southern Hemispheres
Worldwide progeny earnings of $107 million

stently ranked in the Top Ten Australian Sires, More Than Ready has been at stud long enough for patterns of particular compatibility to become apparent.

A Halo line stallion, it is no surprise that he has worked exceptionally well with fellow ALMAHMOUD family members, DANEHILL and his grandsire NORTHERN DANCER. No fewer than six of his 13 Group One winners to-date are out of mares by Danehill or his sons. A further four from mares carrying other representatives of the Northern Dancer line, STORM CAT and NIJINSKY II.

Danehill is additionally beneficial in matings with More Than Ready as he contributes a daughter of BUCKPASSER to sex balance the son in More Than Ready. This is also the family of More Than Ready’s tail female line, creating strong line breeding to LA TROIENNE.

As another example, the dam of dual Group One winner SAMAREADY carries Buckpasser through her sire SECRET SAVINGS. Other sources of Buckpasser in mares include A.P. INDY (sire of BERNARDINI and CONGRATS), DUBAWI, GALILEO, LAST TYCOON and WAVERING MONARCH.

Apart from Danehill and sons, More Than Ready has worked well with other DANZIG line broodmare sires, producing Group winners out of mares by LANGFUHR and PINE BLUFF. Mares by AD VALOREM, ANABAA, BELONG TO ME, CHIEF’S CROWN, DESERT SUN, HARD SPUN and PERUGINO (and son TESTA ROSSA) are examples.

Grade One (USA) winner REGALLY READY carries SPECIAL family members SADLER’S WELLS and his three quarter brother NUREYEV. The dams of Group One winner PHELAN READY and Grade Two winner PLUCK are also from the Sadler’s Wells line. Nureyev, Sadler’s Wells and his brother FAIRY KING are accessible via mares by BARATHEA, BLEVIC, CARNEGIE, ENCOSTA DE LAGO, FALBRAV, GALILEO, HELISSIO, HIGH CHAPARRAL, KING OF KINGS, PEINTRE CELEBRE, SCENIC, SPINNING WORLD and STRAVINSKY, amongst others.

More Than Ready is also working well with mares creating a duplication of Halo. Group and Grade One winners MORE JOYOUS and VERRAZANO (USA), are examples. The Average Earnings Index (AEI) of More Than Ready progeny inbred to Halo is a very high 4.60. Broodmare sires carrying Halo in Australia include DON’T SAY HALO, FUJI KISEKI, MACHIAVELLIAN (sire of STREET CRY and VETTORI), RAHY and SUNDAY SILENCE.

More Than Ready is enjoying great success with the MR. PROSPECTOR line. Three of his Group One winners carry this influence through their dams, with a further nine Group winners also boasting his presence. In addition, US Grade Two winner HUNGRY ISLAND carries Mr. Prospector’s full brother, Search for Gold.

Mares carrying Mr. Prospector line sires such as BELLOTTO, DISTORTED HUMOR, EL MOXIE, FAPPIANO, FUSAICHI PEGASUS, GEIGER COUNTER, HUSSONET, KINGMAMBO, JADE HUNTER, MISWAKI (and son UMATILLA), RHYTHM, SECRET SAVINGS (and son DASH FOR CASH), STRAIGHT STRIKE, THUNDER GULCH and UNBRIDLED’S SONG will suit.

Colonial lines have also been prominent in several top class racehorses by More Than Ready. For example, SEBRING’s second damsire is LUSKIN STAR, while fellow Group One winners GIMMETHEGREENLIGHT (SAF) and BENICIO have CANNY LAD and MARSCAY respectively, up close in their pedigrees. Other sources of Star Kingdom today include BISCAY, BLETCHINGLY, BUREAUCRACY, COVETOUS, HURRICANE SKY, KENNY’S BEST PAL, MAIZCAY, TODMAN, SHIFNAL and WEASEL CLAUSE.

New Zealand stalwart SIR TRISTRAM also bobs up in stakes winning More Than Ready progeny. Group winners DREAMAWAY, GIMMETHEGREENLIGHT, ELITE FALLS, ASHOKAN, PATRONYME and WAR are examples. Sources of Sir Tristram in mares include KAAPSTAD, LONHRO, MARAUDING, MILITARY PLUME, OCTAGONAL and ZABEEL.

Filed Under: STALLION ANALYSIS
Speak Your Mind
Name *
Email *
Website

FIND AN ARTICLE

RSS PEDIGREE DYNAMICS BLOG

Another "Brindle' Yearling Shows Up at the NZ Yearling Sales January 25, 2014 PedigreeDynamics
A Stallion Roster Story November 8,

Valuist
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
In a word, his Sire.
More Than Ready.
Coolmore owns Verrazano.
There is no way in the world that program wasn't going to try a multiple Gr. 1 winner out of MTR on the grass.
More on MTR breeding prowess.
Note the number of countries he has sired grass winners/GR. 1 winners in.
Also note how well MTR crosses up with broodmares sired by Danehill/Giant Causeway.

129 stakes winners - 2nd best among all active North American sires
243 stakes horses from 161 different broodmare sires
58 Group/Graded SWs, 16 Group/Grade 1 winners
Three Breeders' Cup winners of the past four years
The Best Beyer Speed Figure by far of any 3-year-old in 2013 - 116 by VERRAZANO
31 stakes victories Feb. 23, 2013 to February 1st, 2014, incl. G1 SWs:
VERRAZANO, MORE THAN SACRED, SAMAREADY, AN SERAFINI
20 SWs, 12 GSWs in 2013, Northern & Southern Hemispheres
Worldwide progeny earnings of $107 million

stently ranked in the Top Ten Australian Sires, More Than Ready has been at stud long enough for patterns of particular compatibility to become apparent.

A Halo line stallion, it is no surprise that he has worked exceptionally well with fellow ALMAHMOUD family members, DANEHILL and his grandsire NORTHERN DANCER. No fewer than six of his 13 Group One winners to-date are out of mares by Danehill or his sons. A further four from mares carrying other representatives of the Northern Dancer line, STORM CAT and NIJINSKY II.

Danehill is additionally beneficial in matings with More Than Ready as he contributes a daughter of BUCKPASSER to sex balance the son in More Than Ready. This is also the family of More Than Ready’s tail female line, creating strong line breeding to LA TROIENNE.

As another example, the dam of dual Group One winner SAMAREADY carries Buckpasser through her sire SECRET SAVINGS. Other sources of Buckpasser in mares include A.P. INDY (sire of BERNARDINI and CONGRATS), DUBAWI, GALILEO, LAST TYCOON and WAVERING MONARCH.

Apart from Danehill and sons, More Than Ready has worked well with other DANZIG line broodmare sires, producing Group winners out of mares by LANGFUHR and PINE BLUFF. Mares by AD VALOREM, ANABAA, BELONG TO ME, CHIEF’S CROWN, DESERT SUN, HARD SPUN and PERUGINO (and son TESTA ROSSA) are examples.

Grade One (USA) winner REGALLY READY carries SPECIAL family members SADLER’S WELLS and his three quarter brother NUREYEV. The dams of Group One winner PHELAN READY and Grade Two winner PLUCK are also from the Sadler’s Wells line. Nureyev, Sadler’s Wells and his brother FAIRY KING are accessible via mares by BARATHEA, BLEVIC, CARNEGIE, ENCOSTA DE LAGO, FALBRAV, GALILEO, HELISSIO, HIGH CHAPARRAL, KING OF KINGS, PEINTRE CELEBRE, SCENIC, SPINNING WORLD and STRAVINSKY, amongst others.

More Than Ready is also working well with mares creating a duplication of Halo. Group and Grade One winners MORE JOYOUS and VERRAZANO (USA), are examples. The Average Earnings Index (AEI) of More Than Ready progeny inbred to Halo is a very high 4.60. Broodmare sires carrying Halo in Australia include DON’T SAY HALO, FUJI KISEKI, MACHIAVELLIAN (sire of STREET CRY and VETTORI), RAHY and SUNDAY SILENCE.

More Than Ready is enjoying great success with the MR. PROSPECTOR line. Three of his Group One winners carry this influence through their dams, with a further nine Group winners also boasting his presence. In addition, US Grade Two winner HUNGRY ISLAND carries Mr. Prospector’s full brother, Search for Gold.

Mares carrying Mr. Prospector line sires such as BELLOTTO, DISTORTED HUMOR, EL MOXIE, FAPPIANO, FUSAICHI PEGASUS, GEIGER COUNTER, HUSSONET, KINGMAMBO, JADE HUNTER, MISWAKI (and son UMATILLA), RHYTHM, SECRET SAVINGS (and son DASH FOR CASH), STRAIGHT STRIKE, THUNDER GULCH and UNBRIDLED’S SONG will suit.

Colonial lines have also been prominent in several top class racehorses by More Than Ready. For example, SEBRING’s second damsire is LUSKIN STAR, while fellow Group One winners GIMMETHEGREENLIGHT (SAF) and BENICIO have CANNY LAD and MARSCAY respectively, up close in their pedigrees. Other sources of Star Kingdom today include BISCAY, BLETCHINGLY, BUREAUCRACY, COVETOUS, HURRICANE SKY, KENNY’S BEST PAL, MAIZCAY, TODMAN, SHIFNAL and WEASEL CLAUSE.

New Zealand stalwart SIR TRISTRAM also bobs up in stakes winning More Than Ready progeny. Group winners DREAMAWAY, GIMMETHEGREENLIGHT, ELITE FALLS, ASHOKAN, PATRONYME and WAR are examples. Sources of Sir Tristram in mares include KAAPSTAD, LONHRO, MARAUDING, MILITARY PLUME, OCTAGONAL and ZABEEL.

Filed Under: STALLION ANALYSIS
Speak Your Mind
Name *
Email *
Website

FIND AN ARTICLE

RSS PEDIGREE DYNAMICS BLOG

Another "Brindle' Yearling Shows Up at the NZ Yearling Sales January 25, 2014 PedigreeDynamics
A Stallion Roster Story November 8,

I don't think anyone is questioning the horse being BRED for turf. But sometimes in reality it doesn't work out that way. Cigar was by Palace Music. It took awhile for them to try the dirt because he seemed to have a pure grass pedigree. Turns out he was 1000 times better on dirt.

taxicab
02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Coolmore bought Verrazano after his second race (I think it was his second ) because their breeding experts told them to.
They have to try him on the Turf.
If he fires big, his value shoots through the roof because of his breeding.
If he flops on the grass, he loses no value due to his sire (MTR) and his female side (grass heavy also).

taxicab
02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I'll try it this way.
Here's what the people involved with the horse say.
From Europe.

Verrazano Ballydoyle bound

Leading American colt Verrazano will next season be trained in Ireland by Aidan O'Brien, Coolmore have confirmed.

The former Todd Pletcher-trained four-year-old is a two-times Grade One winner and is now due to remain in competitive action, rather than be retired to stud at Ashford Stud in Kentucky.

Ashford Stud manager Dermot Ryan said: "Being the best son of More Than Ready who is doing so well as a sire in Australia, we feel that a European campaign would raise his profile when the time comes for him to shuttle there."

Verrazano was one of the best American three-year-olds in training and was last seen finishing third in the Cigar Mile at Aqueduct in November.

Pletcher told www.coolmore.com: "It makes sense for Verrazano to move to Europe as he has achieved so much already here.

"The owners (John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith) love to have their best horses run at Royal Ascot and a win there would be of great benefit to his stallion career."

Cholly
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Could Ashford's lack of enthusiasm for V be related to his being unraced as a 2yo? Their recent stallion additions--Uncle Mo, Shanghai Bobby--tend to precocity rather than accomplishment in mature racing.

OTM Al
05-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Solid 3rd in the G1 Lockridge at Newbury today. Not bad for a first time on turf and first race of the year.

cj
05-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Where'd his speed go?

4WyAa8cFUU4

horses4courses
05-17-2014, 01:07 PM
He must be getting used to that slower pace of life in Ireland :lol:

Notice the speed in the race finished last.
Newbury is a pretty stiff uphill finish - you have to lie in behind the pace.

Verrazano didn't have his "A" game today, but it was a good prep for Ascot.
They will baby this guy, anyway. The breeding shed beckons.

raybo
05-17-2014, 01:55 PM
First time on the grass, they probably wanted to see how he handled it and what he had at the end, as that is pretty important on grass over there. Also, I don't know what the distance of that race was but looked pretty long, they probably wanted to see how far he could go without busting his form up too bad.

Some_One
05-17-2014, 02:11 PM
race was a mile, not a bad run, probably was unlucky to be on the nearer side of that group leading to Obrien missing Dettori's move and getting out late.

raybo
05-17-2014, 02:17 PM
race was a mile, not a bad run, probably was unlucky to be on the nearer side of that group leading to Obrien missing Dettori's move and getting out late.

Only a mile? Dang, that doesn't look like the V I know.

Some_One
05-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Only a mile? Dang, that doesn't look like the V I know.

Yea, OBrien taught the horse to relax early.

tucker6
05-17-2014, 02:27 PM
with 2F to go, it looked like V was going to go on the outside of the horse in front, but the jockey then took him inside. I think it cost him some momentum, and honestly I thought he had a path on either side. The jock could have done a better job.

nearco
05-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Doesn't appear to have the turn off foot to be a top class miler on the grass. He had no quicken at all when Olympic Glory flew. One paced.
Maybe they could try going back to running fast early, but that's dicey on the grass.

Robert Fischer
05-17-2014, 03:03 PM
That Olympic Glory looked like a beast compared to Verrazano. He cruised up to the front before having to be hard urged.

Verrazano was a bit slow to change leads. This is the opposite direction of US racing. Once he changed leads he was able to at least secure 3rd.

classhandicapper
05-18-2014, 09:44 AM
That's not a bad performance. It's not like he was an elite dirt horse, but he still gave a good account of himself in a Group 1 on turf at Ascot first try on it.

OTM Al
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
That's not a bad performance. It's not like he was an elite dirt horse, but he still gave a good account of himself in a Group 1 on turf at Ascot first try on it.

Newbury. Ascot for the Royal meet next on the dance card. Doubt he'll win that either as the waters will get deeper, but believe he will give a good account of himself regardless.

classhandicapper
05-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Newbury. Ascot for the Royal meet next on the dance card. Doubt he'll win that either as the waters will get deeper, but believe he will give a good account of himself regardless.

Thanks.