PDA

View Full Version : Award-winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in Manhattan Apartment

cj
02-02-2014, 01:39 PM
RIP, very sad.

davew
02-02-2014, 01:42 PM
at 46 in apartment in NY

I liked some of his movies

ArlJim78
02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
stunned and saddened, he was one of the best. Everything he was in I felt compelled to watch just to see what unique take he would bring to the role.

098poi
02-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Wow, I am a bit shocked. He was a great actor! Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Owning Mahowny both great among others. Too bad. My condolences to family.

horses4courses
02-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Such a talented actor.
Huge loss.

FantasticDan
02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
A real shame, liked him in everything he was in. He could do it all.

-VcWRJHBUDM

His silly turn in Ben Stiller's Along Came Polly was the best part of the movie:

uU_h8ksmXUg

fast4522
02-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Why do we glorify such.

MutuelClerk
02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Wow, I am a bit shocked. He was a great actor! Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Owning Mahowny both great among others. Too bad. My condolences to family.

Seconded. LOVE those two movies. Great talent.

ManU918
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
He was absolutely brilliant in so many films but Owning Mahowny is without a doubt my favorite.

LyO1JBGfIU4

jballscalls
02-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Why do we glorify such.

I found your first post in this thread disgusting....so I'm happy to see you deleted it and reformed into a question that's actually worth pondering.

We celebrate people we have/had a connection to. Art and love are the two greatest conduits to make connections to people and have affinity for others. That's why we celebrate certain people.

Everyone has problems and issues and you can never know what causes someone to do something. He has a family and i'm sure they're very sad and also angry that his life ended the way he did.

But the reason people are celebrating this person is because they connected with him through his art.

I don't know much of the man's work so I don't have a strong connection to him, however clearly millions do.

Hopefully if any good comes out of his death it's that maybe someone will seek help or not start doing drugs. However you posting earlier "Another junkie bites the dust" does nothing to improve our world. It only puts hate and negativity out there which does nobody any good.

Shelby
02-02-2014, 03:04 PM
OMG I can't believe this. He's one of my very favorite actors. He has an amazing ability to play all sorts of different roles. So very very sad. He has little kids, too. RIP Philip. I will miss you.

fast4522
02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Jason, to improve our world we have to be less accepting of this behavior.
I thought the same when Whitney Houston had a similar posting here.

ArlJim78
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
He was absolutely brilliant in so many films but Owning Mahowny is without a doubt my favorite.

It's also my favorite. One of his lesser known roles but for me the movie was riveting mainly due to his performance.

jballscalls
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM

I don't think people are accepting his behavior. Actually I think most people are pretty angry about the behavior. But they're celebrating the art and the person. The addiction and the death are one little part of a life.

ArlJim78
02-02-2014, 03:19 PM
NOBODY is even talking about his personal behavior or condoning it. He was an incredible actor. We can't talk about that because of his personal shortcomings?

BTW your comments on this thread, do you think they are helping to improve the world?

cj
02-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I found your first post in this thread disgusting....so I'm happy to see you deleted it and reformed into a question that's actually worth pondering.

We celebrate people we have/had a connection to. Art and love are the two greatest conduits to make connections to people and have affinity for others. That's why we celebrate certain people.

Everyone has problems and issues and you can never know what causes someone to do something. He has a family and i'm sure they're very sad and also angry that his life ended the way he did.

But the reason people are celebrating this person is because they connected with him through his art.

I don't know much of the man's work so I don't have a strong connection to him, however clearly millions do.

Hopefully if any good comes out of his death it's that maybe someone will seek help or not start doing drugs. However you posting earlier "Another junkie bites the dust" does nothing to improve our world. It only puts hate and negativity out there which does nobody any good.

For the record, I deleted it. While I think it is only fair to point out how he died, it should not be done without class.

I don't think anybody is glorifying that he was a drug addict, but that he was very talented, and that is what people are talking about. Good post Jason...

thaskalos
02-02-2014, 03:34 PM
He was one of those rare actors who would literally TRANSFORM themselves in their roles.

In Owning Mahowny...shivers went up and down my spine when he was asking his friend to return to him the $40k that he had originally entrusted to him for "safe keeping".

A sad ending to an immense talent...

lansdale
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
RIP, very sad.

When I first saw the news, I thought of the possibility of foul play, and shot an e-mail to my brother, who shares many contacts in Hoffman's professional and social circles, and he quickly dispelled the idea. He said it's well known in these circles that the actor's had an on and off problem with drugs for years, and more significantly, was a deeply tormented human being, despite his success, fame, and devoted wife and three children. As anyone who has been close to the worlds of art or the entertainment business knows, this is far from unusual.

Hoffman was a very widely admired as well as a deeply beloved figure in the business, and I believe the outpouring of grief and shock over this by the entertainment/celebrity world will be huge. Like my brother, many among them believed that he was the best actor in the country.

thaskalos
02-02-2014, 03:49 PM
At least you are consistent... :rolleyes:

thaskalos
02-02-2014, 04:02 PM
NOBODY is even talking about his personal behavior or condoning it. He was an incredible actor. We can't talk about that because of his personal shortcomings?

BTW your comments on this thread, do you think they are helping to improve the world?
Spot on. :ThmbUp:

It's their talent that we are "celebrating"...not their life choices.

As a great man once said..."Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

fast4522
02-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Obviously I am all wet on this subject, but if we are not a good example for our kids then celebrating is misplaced.

johnhannibalsmith
02-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Chances are, the guy did more to dissuade people from heroin abuse by croaking with a needle in his arm than he would if he had "set a good example" by telling them not to do it or whatever example a guy like that can possibly set that will affect people.

riskman
02-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Philip Seymour Hoffman was a incredible talented actor.Hoffman was a natural and played some great roles in films that were less than blockbusters.I always enjoyed his performances and will miss him. It is unfortunate that drugs controlled part of his life. In the end, it appears it destroyed him.

OTM Al
02-02-2014, 05:52 PM
He was a nice guy too. He lived not far from where I work and we'd see him walking about from time to time. If someone noticed him he would always stop and say hi and sign an autograph. A shame the way he passed.

Shelby
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM
He was a nice guy too. He lived not far from where I work and we'd see him walking about from time to time. If someone noticed him he would always stop and say hi and sign an autograph. A shame the way he passed.

Thanks for sharing this. :ThmbUp:

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Man I am so sad to hear about this.Phillip was intelligent and believable in the roles he played.He was great as Capote and an absolute laugher in Boogie Nights!Plus many more.It's not always the big stars that reach us.From this thread alone on a horse racing board he meant a lot to us from what he got across the screen.RIP my man.

JustRalph
02-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Damn shame.

Our real loss is missing out on what could have been. One of the few actors who made you forget the actor, and totally sell a character no matter the role.

There's an art to that. Very few have it.

cj's dad
02-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Is the basketball scene supposed to be funny ??

nijinski
02-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Such a tragedy , he was so talented . My condolences to his loved
ones . RIP !

Marshall Bennett
02-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Damned drugs. Rip.

horses4courses
02-03-2014, 12:24 PM
That's the real tragedy here.
This terrific talent still had so many more great roles ahead of him.

Reports surfacing today about a witness seeing PSH withdrawing a large sum from a local ATM near his apartment and conducting a transaction with two unknown males carrying messenger bags.

Also, a deadly form of tainted heroin has reportedly hit the east coast in recent weeks.
It's possible this may be linked to the actor's death, although we all know such an addiction is likely to end badly.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/02/lethal-batches-of-bad-heroin-hit-east-coast-the-same-week-philip-seymour-hoffman-died/

I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun. (Neil Young)

JustRalph
02-03-2014, 02:09 PM
That's the real tragedy here.
This terrific talent still had so many more great roles ahead of him.

Reports surfacing today about a witness seeing PSH withdrawing a large sum from a local ATM near his apartment and conducting a transaction with two unknown males carrying messenger bags.

Also, a deadly form of tainted heroin has reportedly hit the east coast in recent weeks.
It's possible this may be linked to the actor's death, although we all know such an addiction is likely to end badly.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/02/lethal-batches-of-bad-heroin-hit-east-coast-the-same-week-philip-seymour-hoffman-died/

This is where you cross over into forgiving criminality because of the art. Should we? This guy is supporting the local drug trade. Heroin trafficking is linked to very very serious criminal activity everywhere it exists. Including human trafficking and serious organized crime. Philip Seymour Hoffman participated in a criminal enterprise to support his habit. No doubt.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 02:23 PM
This is where you cross over into forgiving criminality because of the art. Should we? This guy is supporting the local drug trade. Heroin trafficking is linked to very very serious criminal activity everywhere it exists. Including human trafficking and serious organized crime. Philip Seymour Hoffman participated in a criminal enterprise to support his habit. No doubt.

I, for one, forgive him.

I don't condone heroin use, nor do I encourage "participating in criminal enterprises to support our habits". But habits sometimes become pesky things...and they force us into the dark area of "illegality".

And don't forget...forgiving is not condoning.

TJDave
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I, for one, forgive him.

For what, exactly?

It is he who owes his family, co-workers and fans a big fat apology.

A bit late for that, though.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
For what, exactly?

For what Ralph said. "Participating in a criminal enterprise in order to support his habit".

I reviewed the charge made against the late Mr. Hoffman...and I forgive him.

TJDave
02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
I reviewed the charge made against the late Mr. Hoffman...and I forgive him.

Would you hear my confession? ;)

horses4courses
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
For what, exactly?

It's all about personal perception.
To some on here, PSH is a low-life junkie.
Others see him as an exceptional talent with a regrettable affliction.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Would you hear my confession? ;)

I doubt that I have that much time... :)

Grits
02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
This may be offensive. PA, Cj, Bill, remove it, if you deem it so.

Everyone knew the actor, however, not too many knew the junkie. I'm sorry, gentlemen, both are one and the same. Whether its name calling, casting stones or what, in this case, they're the same person.

We give actors, musicians, etc, a pass because they all have a gift, a talent that is wasted and gone from us too soon. We celebrate their gifts while we ignore and make excuses for their torment, and their poor, indulgent choices.

Those who die in obscurity, shooting up, having dealed or not, they don't deserve our concern. Hell, they claim mental illness, they don't even deserve a room in a homeless shelter out of the freezing cold because they're sorry and choose to be where they are. (We covered this one last week.)

Mr.Hoffman, though, paid more taxes and entertained us. Yet, he too, shot up 8 hours ago and was later on the street looking for his next fix. As a friend told me earlier today--he gave me pause because I think there's honesty in his statement.

"I don't think his life warrants more sorrow than any other junkie. Everyone is someone's father/brother/mother/sister/lover."

I don't do well when people hurt children. Maybe this man felt he was hurting his children more by living than by dying. Either way, I wish he'd thought about his drug and alcohol problems before fathering, and leaving, the three of them. I'm saddened for his children.

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Anyone offended by the sentiment in that post needs their head caved in.

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

I look at it this way:

The only real injustice that he committed was the one against his family...and THEY are the ones who should judge him, accordingly.

To me he provided great entertainment and joy.

I never knew PSH, the man; I knew PSH, the actor.

And I liked and respected him very much. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
02-03-2014, 03:38 PM

I was going to say that you can apparently be both, but considering the outcome, maybe not.

Reports say 50 bags of heroin in his room. That's big bucks

thaskalos
02-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Everyone knew the actor, however, not too many knew the junkie. I'm sorry, gentlemen, both are one and the same. Whether its name calling, casting stones or what, in this case, they're the same person.

We give actors, musicians, etc, a pass because they all have a gift, a talent that is wasted and gone from us too soon. We celebrate their gifts while we ignore and make excuses for their torment, and their poor, indulgent choices.

Those who die in obscurity, shooting up, having dealed or not, they don't deserve our concern. Hell, they claim mental illness, they don't even deserve a room in a homeless shelter out of the freezing cold because they're sorry and choose to be where they are. (We covered this one last week.)

Mr.Hoffman, though, paid more taxes and entertained us. Yet, he too, shot up 8 hours ago and was later on the street looking for his next fix. As a friend told me earlier today--he gave me pause because I think there's honesty in his statement.

"I don't think his life warrants more sorrow than any other junkie. Everyone is someone's father/brother/mother/sister/lover."

I don't do well when people hurt children. Maybe this man felt he was hurting his children more by living than by dying. Either way, I wish he'd thought about his drug and alcohol problems before fathering, and leaving, the three of them. I'm saddened for his children.

Whether someone's death warrants more sorrow than someone else's is an individual matter...and does not adhere to generalities and broad strokes. Our feelings towards the recently departed are involuntary...and there is little we can do about them.

I've read life-changing books...seen unforgettable movies...and heard breath-taking music that has brought tears to my eyes. These were brought to me by very talented people...to whom I feel that I owe a debt of gratitude.

When they die, I think of what their work has meant to me...and of the debt that I owe them. And I try to repay them in the only way that I could.

I send my best thoughts and prayers out to them...

Grits
02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I've read life-changing books...seen unforgettable movies...and heard breath-taking music that has brought tears to my eyes. These were brought to me by very talented people...to whom I feel that I owe a debt of gratitude.

We've all had such experiences. But for whatever reason, I've had them, more of them actually, from ordinary people as opposed to very talented people. Its pretty much the company I keep and the area I fall into, not being that bright, gifted or over achieving.

If the heroin in his apartment is tested and found to be laced with Fentanyl--100 times stronger than morphine--I'll just say straight up, this man didn't want to live to take care of his children. He was so strung out, it was only a matter of time before he died injecting. There's no more deadly drug combo on the street today. My son went into cardiac arrest when given Fentanyl in the ICU. .... No sorrow, I'm sorry.

fast4522
02-03-2014, 06:47 PM
For starters I apologize for being the rabble rouser of the thread, I am guilty of having Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin in my music collection and going sideways in my post. I have issues with where moneys go, street dealer/distribution/border/foreign entities etc. as well as the carnage that is part of it all.

TJDave
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM
I am guilty of having Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin in my music collection

This could be a problem... :lol:

http://www.outofservice.com/music-personality-test/

JustRalph
02-04-2014, 11:42 PM
http://nyp.st/1ftdNoH

Busted!