PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth owner/trainer incentives

Clocker
02-01-2014, 01:50 PM
One track is doing something about short fields.

With the Thoroughbred foal crop at its lowest level in years, Monmouth Park like many other horse tracks around the U.S., is trying to find ways to fill Thoroughbred race cards in 2014. This year, Monmouth plans to offer bonuses to owners and trainers “for every runner in a non-state-bred race as well as a bonus for owners of horses finishing fifth through last” according to information released Thursday, January 30 from Monmouth Park.

Specifically, trainers will receive a $300 bonus for horses entered in open company turf and dirt races. Owners will receive $700 for every open company dirt race starter who finishes fifth through last place and $500 for every open company turf runner who finishes fifth through last place. Horses finishing first through fourth receive the traditional payouts.

Some people think it is not a good idea. Full story. (http://www.examiner.com/article/monmouth-park-announces-controversial-horse-trainer-and-owner-incentives-2014)

Saratoga_Mike
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Delaware Park has done this in the past, and I don't think it's done much for fields with the exception of causing low-percentage trainers to run their no-chance horses more often.

mountainman
02-01-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't think it's done much for fields with the exception of causing low-percentage trainers to run their no-chance horses more often.

While much needed and an admirable undertaking, a pension plan installed several years ago for mnr trainers sending out at least 12(?) starters per year has had the same effect.

I remember that during Monmouth's million dollar a day meet, certain low percentage horsemen took the worst we had up there just for the extravagant purse-drippings. Even grooms returned with first-hand accounts of being handed several c-notes just for walking a starter into the paddock.

Monmouth, of course, plays hardball and (trust me on this) spares no expense in recruiting horses.

lamboguy
02-01-2014, 03:22 PM
its the worst thing for racing. i don't think they should pay any purse money past second place. i want more exciting races, no hobo's running around the backsides that never win.

therussmeister
02-01-2014, 05:20 PM
its the worst thing for racing. i don't think they should pay any purse money past second place. i want more exciting races, no hobo's running around the backsides that never win.
Yes, it would be fun to have a lot of match races.

andtheyreoff
02-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Yeah, that's a great idea. If you did that, trainers and jockeys would probably starve, and owners wouldn't have as much money to cover expenses. Besides, with trifectas and superfectas, you need to have jockeys try for third and fourth, as opposed to wrapping up when they can't get any purse money.

cordep17
02-01-2014, 05:42 PM

From our position, there sure is a lot of money to be made in 3 horse fields...This may be one of the worst idea's ever published.

Shemp Howard
02-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Horse van operators in the Grantville, PA area should do booming business this summer.