PDA

View Full Version : Azeri

Observer
04-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Maybe I've missed it .. but I haven't seen discussion on Azeri's return in the Apple Blossom for new trainer Lukas.

First .. WOW! She took charge right from the start, and never looked back.

Second .. congrats to Paulson for not giving in to the pressure of being criticized for his attempt at bringing back this champion who was allegedly injured last fall .. an injury which could not be confirmed by the top clinics in the country.

Third .. nice job by Lukas, who was pretty much in a lose-lose situation for taking on the task of conditioning Azeri when de Seroux was fired. Anything but a victory like yesterday would have just added more fuel to the fire of the Lukas-bashers, and to those who were against Azeri's comeback.

And finally .. Mike Smith .. this guy is a speed horse's dream. He stayed out of her way, and let her do her thing. I'm glad it worked out that Lion Heart backed out of yesterday's Santa Anita Derby in favor of this coming Saturday's Blue Grass, opening up the chance for him to keep the mount on Azeri, which he was going to give up in favor of the 3-year-old colt.

Okay, so the critics will say Island Fashion didn't show up .. she bounced of a series of top races, capped by a second against the boys last out .. and Wild Spirit was coming off a layoff .. but Azeri was coming off a layoff, had allegedly been injured, and was going out for a new trainer. She had her own obstacles to overcome, and she did.

WINMANWIN
04-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Azeri is now 3 for 3 over the Oaklawn track and ran a nice race.
The Exacta came back an O.K. $16.00 buckos with Wild Spirit 2nd
Hats off to D. Wayne with her, he needs all the help he can get batting 5 % for the year.....:eek: I too give Paulson credit for bringing her back, It did take courage, as she certainly is a marvelous filly :)

Show Me the Wire
04-04-2004, 04:00 PM
She is a champion, I've said it last year and it is just as true now.
Good horses make good trainers as long as the trainer does not get in the horse's way.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Show Me the Wire
04-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Show Me the Wire
She is a champion, I've said it last year and it is just as true now.
Good horses (mares) make good trainers as long as the trainer does not get in the animal's way.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

PaceAdvantage
04-04-2004, 07:00 PM
This was, in my opinion, by far the most impressive race of the weekend.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the room in which Mrs. de Seroux was watching the Apple Blossom. I'm quite curious what her genuine reaction was.

JimG
04-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
This was, in my opinion, by far the most impressive race of the weekend.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the room in which Mrs. de Seroux was watching the Apple Blossom. I'm quite curious what her genuine reaction was.

It was great to see Azeri run such a race as an "older" female horse. I would love to see good horses run into their 4-6 year old campaigns as long as they can stay sound. The economics of racing seem to dictate otherwise.

Anytime you can see Azeri and Funny Cide run well on the same weekend, it was a good weekend.

I was also wondering what deSeroux thought. That was quite a loss for her and a nice pick up for Lukas.

Jim

cj
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by JimG
... and a nice pick up for Lukas.

I'll say!

T Lukas D Wayne
( 103- 5-0.05)

cj
04-05-2004, 11:49 AM
The horse was very, very impressive. She was just too good for that bunch, and that's about a good of a bunch as she is ever going to face.

JustRalph
04-06-2004, 12:08 AM
If things go well, we are going to see her bred to some fantastic sire down the road. I can't wait to see her offspring.........

$$$$$
04-07-2004, 04:09 AM
Visually, I would have to agree...... very impressive race by Azeri, but after going over the internal pace, the early fractions were VERY moderate and with 1 exception, the field would have gone 1-2-3-4-5-6 in order all the way around the track. Wild Spirit was the only horse to pass another horse during the ENTIRE race. She made a BIG middle move into the moderate pace, then was able to hold her position when Azeri sprinted home and even gained 1 length on her in the last 1/8th (a last 1/8th that was run in 12 flat). My money is definitely going on Wild Spirit the next time they face each other.

Observer
04-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
... I can't wait to see her offspring.........

Luckily, (for those who enjoy watching her run) her owner can wait to see her offspring.
;)

PaceAdvantage
04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by $$$$$
Visually, I would have to agree...... very impressive race by Azeri, but after going over the internal pace, the early fractions were VERY moderate and with 1 exception, the field would have gone 1-2-3-4-5-6 in order all the way around the track. Wild Spirit was the only horse to pass another horse during the ENTIRE race. She made a BIG middle move into the moderate pace, then was able to hold her position when Azeri sprinted home and even gained 1 length on her in the last 1/8th (a last 1/8th that was run in 12 flat). My money is definitely going on Wild Spirit the next time they face each other.

That's the trouble with racing against Azeri. Oftentimes, she dictates to YOU what's going to happen.....

After reviewing the charts on Saturday, the Oaklawn strip appeared to be playing quite fairly. You had a couple races go wire to wire, but you also had some pressers and also some closers winning races.

If Azeri can come home in 12 flat after setting all the pace in her first race off a 7 month layoff while facing two of the best older fillies in training, well then by golly she ran a FANTASTIC race.

Azeri was scary on Saturday, plain and simple. She ran out of her skin. She gave 100x more than anyone expected her to give. Unless she bounces from here to the moon, I can't see Wild Spirit beating her anytime soon. But, that's what makes them go around in circles everyday....a difference in opinion.

JustRalph
04-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Observer
Luckily, (for those who enjoy watching her run) her owner can wait to see her offspring.
;)

I fall on both sides of the fence on this one........but you have to admit it will be headlines when a Sire is chosen for her, sometime down the road.