PDA

View Full Version : Madcap Escapade

Observer
04-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Thought this filly deserved her own thread, so I'm starting one on her, though I know some comments have already been made regarding her Ashland performance.

In my opinion, she did not run easily through the opening furlongs, she was strongly restrained and not comfortable or happy, and that type of ride will never do her any favors, especially when energy will be needed late. A rider with soft, patient, kind hands needs to take over. Bailey did the same restraining type of ride when he was on her last time, plus, he completely throttled her down in the final furlong or so when she was well clear. I'm wondering if maybe she worked much harder than she should have in the Ashland, with fighting Douglas through the opening furlongs, then having to hold off Ashado in the lane. I'm glad the win-streak is still intact, but that was not a genuine indication of her talents, from what I've seen of this filly.

Distance limitations .. that's still open for debate .. but I would certainly not use the Ashland as an indicator. And even if she ends up unable to be a legit router, she could very well be among the best sprinters in the country.

PaceAdvantage
04-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Excellent analysis, in my opinion...I wrote some similar stuff under the Super Saturday topic.....

It will be very interesting to see what steps ME takes after the Ashland....

OTM Al
04-15-2004, 01:45 PM
She just posted a bullet workout today (Apr 15) at Churchill (4f 46:00 Breezing, 1/63). I personally like to see them work at least 5f before a route race, but running a nice time like that on a track she's never been to is encouraging and she'll probably have one more anyway. I'm not sure anyone can catch her in the Oaks if they just let her go.