PDA

View Full Version : make no mistake about it

lamboguy
01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Taylor Rice is on her way to being a top rider, if she isn't already. she has guts, a brain and a good clock, and she has a nice manor to her.

if she goes back to Presque Isle, i have no problem putting her on 2 year olds.

Stillriledup
01-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Loduca and Schrupp think Taylor is a man. Who's correct, you or them? :D

PhantomOnTour
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Loduca and Schrupp think Taylor is a man. Who's correct, you or them? :D
That was bush league...I was watching :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
That was bush league...I was watching :ThmbDown:

Schrupp was the worst, he didnt even realize Nakatani was riding that boxing horse yesterday (who finished 2nd to the good Proctor Colt) either.

letswastemoney
01-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't like her as a rider. Like Andy Serling said, she has a good jockey agent.

the little guy
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
This same thing happens every year with an apprentice, and more often than not, it's significant over-hype. With Manny Franco losing his bug, and Esuivel mostly in la-la land, unless on a speed, she is getting great mounts. I give her credit, she is absolutely making the most of her business. Whether or not she propels herself into a successful career as a journey(wo)man remains to be seen.

I don't mean to criticize her, and have no qualms betting her, but people tend to get carried away with bugs in the Winter. There was actually a time when people said Ariel Smith was going to be a great rider. Keep that in mind.

Stillriledup
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't like her as a rider. Like Andy Serling said, she has a good jockey agent.

Is that what he said? I know she's no Junior Alvarado or Cornelio V, but you have to start somewhere, right?

lamboguy
01-27-2014, 05:28 PM
not to many bad riders in New York get good agents.

lamboguy
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Is that what he said? I know she's no Junior Alvarado or Cornelio V, but you have to start somewhere, right?she's as good as i have seen in a long time coming to New York as an apprentice.

pele polo
01-27-2014, 06:40 PM
This same thing happens every year with an apprentice, and more often than not, it's significant over-hype. With Manny Franco losing his bug, and Esuivel mostly in la-la land, unless on a speed, she is getting great mounts. I give her credit, she is absolutely making the most of her business. Whether or not she propels herself into a successful career as a journey(wo)man remains to be seen.

I don't mean to criticize her, and have no qualms betting her, but people tend to get carried away with bugs in the Winter. There was actually a time when people said Ariel Smith was going to be a great rider. Keep that in mind.

4 wins in a day is impressive. But realistically she was a big on short, price speed horses on the inner track. That usually equates to success. She didn't screw it up, good for her but she is dehinately not on get to becoming a top rider (at least yet). She does not look good on a horse, not NY quality anyway. It helps that Linda Rice is her aunt.

EMD4ME
01-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Is that what he said? I know she's no Junior Alvarado or Cornelio V, but you have to start somewhere, right?

Let's hope she's not. Cornelio is one of the worst riders that I have ever seen. Junior is your average 10% er who wins mostly by accident 1 out of 10 times :D

One perfect example of how bad Cornelio is his ride on Palace in December. He breaks well, has Strapping Groom buried (who broke really slow as the lone speed) and Cornelio chokes the life out of his mount to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's hope he is not mentoring this poor apprentice.

NJ Stinks
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Let's hope she's not. Cornelio is one of the worst riders that I have ever seen. Junior is your average 10% er who wins mostly by accident 1 out of 10 times :D

One perfect example of how bad Cornelio is his ride on Palace in December. He breaks well, has Strapping Groom buried (who broke really slow as the lone speed) and Cornelio chokes the life out of his mount to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Let's hope he is not mentoring this poor apprentice.

Since Jose Santos retired, Cornelio is my favorite jockey on the grass. When I say "favorite jockey", I mean in the entire country.

classhandicapper
01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
I pay very little attention to jockeys other than if they are especially good/bad at something, but it's not unusual for apprentice riders to get hot and then have a lot of trouble when they lose the weight allowance. That's been happening for decades.

I'll never understand that.

If I was an owner/trainer, I'd take an experienced high level rider over a 5 pounds every day of the week. But apparently, a lot of people must think 5 pounds is worth more than finding and staying on the best paths, breaking well, getting good position, shaking loose with speed etc... With very few exceptions (Cauthen) I would never use an apprentice unless I knew my horse had no shot and I wanted to give some kid a break.

jk3521
01-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Even M B Chen has had a couple winners this meet! Very poor jockey colony in N.Y. right now.

Saw an interview with Rice. She's got a good head on her shoulders. She might be okay, no Julie Krone, though.

tzipi
01-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Taylor Rice is on her way to being a top rider, if she isn't already. she has guts, a brain and a good clock, and she has a nice manor to her.

if she goes back to Presque Isle, i have no problem putting her on 2 year olds.

How many of her wins have been on Linda Rice horses?

Stillriledup
01-28-2014, 12:09 AM
How many of her wins have been on Linda Rice horses?

She won a ton of races at Hawthorne, only been in NY for a short time, i'm sure she has at least a small handful for Linda.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2014, 12:17 AM
I remember Shaun Bridgmohan as a bug in NY and the hype surrounding him. Can't recall exactly, but I believe he went on quite a tear in NY and won loads of races.
He proved good enough to make it as a solid jock after losing his bug.

Ryan Curatolo is a recent example of a hot bug in NY not being able to maintain. Believe he rides at Monmouth now, but is nothing special.
Maybe he also had a very good agent...?
Who knows; maybe he fell out of favor with some good barns and lost those mounts on quality horses.

Lot of behind the scenes things that average guys like myself would never know about...agents, relationships with trainers, substance abuse rumors or problems, romantic spats, health issues etc...

Robert Goren
01-28-2014, 12:35 AM
I have always felt the true test of a rider is how they come back from their first major injury, the one that lays them up for several months. If they start riding scared, they are toast.
NY right now has a pretty poor collection of riders for the caliber of racing they are offering. IMO . Rice is getting some "live" mounts right now and isn't screwing up most of them too much, but I haven't seen any "magic" from her that the great riders like Ramon or Garrett Gomez have.

duncan04
01-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Ryan Curatolo is riding in China right now

http://www.mjc.mo/race_en/info/jok_info.php?jcd=RCO

Stillriledup
01-28-2014, 12:44 AM
I have always felt the true test of a rider is how they come back from their first major injury, the one that lays them up for several months. If they start riding scared, they are toast.
NY right now has a pretty poor collection of riders for the caliber of racing they are offering. IMO . Rice is getting some "live" mounts right now and isn't screwing up most of them too much, but I haven't seen any "magic" from her that the great riders like Ramon or Garrett Gomez have.

This is a really good point, when a jock hits the ground hard and gets busted up, do they come back the same fearless rider that they were before the injury? If they start "squeezing the lines too tight" its not going to be as good as before.

To be able to show up from Hawthorne into a colony with already established quality apprentices (although Franco just lost the bug) and get to ride mounts for a top trainer like Linda Rice is a HUGE advantage that many bugs just don't get.

Is Taylor any better than this kid McCarthy or Jevian Toledo who ride in Maryland? I havent seen that Rice is any better or worse than those jocks. Of course, i'm sure Linda will continue to give her mounts when she loses the bug, so, that's a great 'leg up' that most don't have, hopefully she takes the Linda Rice connection and runs with it.

Many trainers watch jocks very carefully the minute they lose the bug to see if they can 'keep winning'. If Taylor rides Linda's best horses, she will keep winning and other trainers won't be afraid to put her on a good horse.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Ryan Curatolo is riding in China right now

http://www.mjc.mo/race_en/info/jok_info.php?jcd=RCO
Wow...riding in Macau :eek:

thx for the info

NJ Stinks
01-28-2014, 01:36 AM
That is interesting to know about Curatolo. I have no problem betting him - although The Great Wall may be problematic. :)

Appreciate the info too, Duncan. :ThmbUp:

jk3521
01-28-2014, 08:23 AM
If Linda uses Taylor, Bye bye Cornelio. And if she has 2 horses in a race using these 2 jockeys, which one is the horse you bet? :confused:

cnollfan
01-28-2014, 03:28 PM
If Linda uses Taylor, Bye bye Cornelio. And if she has 2 horses in a race using these 2 jockeys, which one is the horse you bet? :confused:

The longer shot.

Stillriledup
01-28-2014, 05:51 PM
The longer shot.

The one Cornelio isnt riding. :D

EMD4ME
01-28-2014, 06:10 PM
The one Cornelio isnt riding. :D

:D :D :D :D

lamboguy
02-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Taylor Rice got on horses every day in the morning and didn't become a jockey until she was 25. that was by design, its really no accident that she is this good. she doesn't make to many mistakes. there is no way she takes a back seat to anyone in New York right now, and i really expect her to be a top rider nationally real soon.

duncan04
02-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Taylor Rice swept the early double today at Aqueduct and has won three of the first four races. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Taylor Rice swept the early double today at Aqueduct and has won three of the first four races. :ThmbUp:you always have good selections, and now you have proved that you have a good eye for talent

Racetrack Playa
02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
RESPECT T. Rice is a gem, glad to see a fan club ,2 more rides today , she may get 5 winners , all live runners , AweSomE, She getting all sorts of horses , of course she is the new top rider at the inner (imo),And thats what I got.:ThmbUp:

lamboguy
07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
so far today she was on a $48 and a $20 winner. the one thing i can tell you is she is finishing her races these days.

the one time i got to ride her on one of my horses there this year, she did exactly what i told her not to do! i am not blaming her though because it wasn't her fault, i had told her not to take a hold of the horse. it was my fault because i forgot that 1 1/16 mile on the turf starts on the turn and i didn't have this horse ready for that. i had the goods that day too and a huge price but i flat out screwed up.

thespaah
07-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Yep....Hot Bugs see big changes once they lose the weight break....

thespaah
07-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I pay very little attention to jockeys other than if they are especially good/bad at something, but it's not unusual for apprentice riders to get hot and then have a lot of trouble when they lose the weight allowance. That's been happening for decades.

I'll never understand that.

If I was an owner/trainer, I'd take an experienced high level rider over a 5 pounds every day of the week. But apparently, a lot of people must think 5 pounds is worth more than finding and staying on the best paths, breaking well, getting good position, shaking loose with speed etc... With very few exceptions (Cauthen) I would never use an apprentice unless I knew my horse had no shot and I wanted to give some kid a break.
What's the sense of using a Bug only on horses that have no chance?
Learning one's craft not only must include the disappointment of failure but the enjoyment of success.
Giving only crap work to an apprentice will sour that person on the business which invariably force them to choose another career.
I never understood the philosophy of some people where 'learning must be miserable'...Said approach is illogical.
When I was looking for a job as a groom I had learned a lot of the basics before I went looking for a job.
I went to one trainer and he flat out told me "I don't pay green grooms"...
WTF....Hey silly man...good luck finding anyone who is willing to learn.

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Riding bugless in a big stake today on a chalk type.

Wonder Gal.

Rise Over Run
08-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I believe she loses the bug in early September. We'll see what happens with her during the Belmont Fall Meet when the jockey colony is still strong, although not what she is against at 'toga now.

thespaah
08-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Rice had a nice ride in the 2nd yesterday..
Check it out..http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/videos/race-replay/STD/2014/20140809/2/headon/
Many Bugs would have elected to not go through the hole. Rice did and almost beat a 3/5 ..
Ever since the naysayers chimed in I've been watching her efforts.
So far nothing to carp about.
Look sports fans, every body has to learn somewhere at some time.
How many of you were expected to be Class A experts your your chosen profession on day one? Crickets?
Thanks.

Chris Longshot
08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm not a fan of her, I actually think she's been very tentative riding at Saratoga, she seems to stick close to the rail in most races and just kind of stays there notice this especially on turf. She has frustrated me on more than few rides this meet with her failure to even try to get off the rail she's always bottled in back of horses with no where to go way too much and what complicates matters further on more than few the horses were rearing to go.

letswastemoney
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm not a fan of her, I actually think she's been very tentative riding at Saratoga, she seems to stick close to the rail in most races and just kind of stays there notice this especially on turf. She has frustrated me on more than few rides this meet with her failure to even try to get off the rail she's always bottled in back of horses with no where to go way too much and what complicates matters further on more than few the horses were rearing to go.Completely agree. She waits...and waits...and waits....bXXYcZ4shmI

Chris Longshot
08-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Completely agree. She waits...and waits...and waits....bXXYcZ4shmI

She obviously has enough guts to get on a horse I'll give her credit for that but it looks like she's just not trying to get hurt out there. And in big fields watch how closely she sticks to the rail, especially in the stretch will never dip her horse out ever for run. It's been so noticeable the "Taylor off" angle I think can be a profitable one, especially races with horses she has glued to the rail and just went in neutral with with no urging.