PDA

View Full Version : Losing internet connection at the worst time, ever lose something big?

cutchemist42
01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Just inspired from the just-ended R2 at Aqueduct today, was placing a bet on betfair for the winning :1: Julesco and internet starts lagging for about 3 minutes. By the time I get the stream back up and trying to press update, the race comes back on and I see its already started and betting suspended.

The horse was only at 5.2ish, but has anyone ever lost a big payoff due to this problem?

Ocala Mike
01-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Sure; never know whether to blame my computer, my ISP, the phone company, "the internet," or the website. Part of the risk of doing business with one minute to post, but I have to admit that's probably when I get my biggest inspirations.

Remember when the fear of getting "shut out" had to do only with the length of the lines at the mutuel windows?

jk3521
01-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I always seem to lose my internet connection at the top of the stretch! Drives me nutz! :mad:

JustRalph
01-27-2014, 05:50 PM
I had a job running a tech call center. My boss let me play online as long as things ran smooth.

One day I'm waiting for a race at Turfway. One of my techs comes to me and tells me they have to reset the router in our office. It's a half hour before the race.

No problem, go for it. I don't have to tell you the rest. The router goes down. I'm up to my ass in cables and shit replacing the router when the race goes off. All of my mapped out tickets would have paid about 3.5k

I just had to grin and bear it..........

letswastemoney
01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Invest in a smartphone, and you can even bet from the restroom.

JustRalph
01-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Invest in a smartphone, and you can even bet from the restroom.

It was the year 2001 or 2002 ?

dlivery
01-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Just replaced modem and running like a fast horse wire to wire.
Had this issue for some time and sure helped the connection. :bang:

Robert Goren
01-28-2014, 12:18 AM
I had forgot how old my modem was. When I moved last year, the timewarner service man said my modem was 10 years old. It was amazing what the new modem did. He said I should check every couple of years or so to see if they have a newer model. I had never thought about that.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2014, 12:26 AM
I got shut out at FG trying to bet Fifty Stars (who won at 25-1) in the La Derby because the SAM machines went down at the track and all local OTB's.
The hub was in Houston and they tried to test run a backup system because a serious storm was moving in...oops...backup failed and they had problems trying to get back on their main system...or something like that.

Occasionally I have been shut on my ADW on Derby day, but that seems to be a thing of the past...hopefully.

Robert Goren
01-28-2014, 02:00 AM
I was just remember how many times it happened to me when I had dial-up. The good old days the late 90s weren't good after all.

Pensacola Pete
01-28-2014, 02:52 PM
I lost four places in a big online poker tournament and more than a few healthy winning tickets at the horses and dogs because of internet or power-outage problems.

I solved it by using this setup:

1) Primary internet - cable in my case.

2) The least expensive secondary internet - DSL ($29.95 per month).

3) Ability to use my smartphone as a hotspot if necessary. $5 per day with a 200mb limit when needed.

4) Two uninterruptible power supplies. The main one will run my computer, monitor, router, and modem for an hour.

5) A backup computer (laptop) kept updated to be used if the main computer goes down.

6) A generator (and enough fuel) that will run the whole place for at least 24 hours.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the backup modem and router.

Anybody who plays serious money at a profit should have at least two sources of internet, a UPS, and a backup computer. They'll eventually pay for themselves.

jk3521
01-28-2014, 03:59 PM
I lost four places in a big online poker tournament and more than a few healthy winning tickets at the horses and dogs because of internet or power-outage problems.

I solved it by using this setup:

1) Primary internet - cable in my case.

2) The least expensive secondary internet - DSL ($29.95 per month).

3) Ability to use my smartphone as a hotspot if necessary. $5 per day with a 200mb limit when needed.

4) Two uninterruptible power supplies. The main one will run my computer, monitor, router, and modem for an hour.

5) A backup computer (laptop) kept updated to be used if the main computer goes down.

6) A generator (and enough fuel) that will run the whole place for at least 24 hours.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the backup modem and router.

Anybody who plays serious money at a profit should have at least two sources of internet, a UPS, and a backup computer. They'll eventually pay for themselves.

:D Wow! You take no chances!

Ocala Mike
01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
I wonder if jk's mancave is in an old fallout shelter!

jk3521
01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
I wonder if jk's mancave is in an old fallout shelter!

No...It's in an actual cave! :D

Ocala Mike
01-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I wonder if Pensacola Pete's mancave is in an old fallout shelter!

Fixed that for me (but I like jk's reply anyway!).

redshift1
01-28-2014, 11:51 PM
My ADW the favorite whipping boy of the forum has failed me several times on big volume days. Probably saved me money though considering my handicapping.

Track Phantom
01-29-2014, 12:35 AM
It's happened to me for big-ish money a few times. Probably the one I remember most, I just posted on another thread.

My fiance and I were traveling back to MN from Austin, TX. We were taking turns driving. When she was driving, I fired up my laptop and Verizon Wi-Fi device. I was getting decent connectivity for about 2 hours. Then, just when I had a .30c super keyed up at the FG, my Wi-Fi device stopped getting connection. It lasted about 15 minutes.

It's a really nice feeling when the internet finally comes back up and they are already posting the results and it was the WORST of the WORST possible outcome. I had two runners on top (something like 6-5 and 8-1) and I caught the longer 8-1. In every spot underneath I got, what would have been the BEST outcome, but in this case after getting shut out, the WORST outcome. Longshot, lonshot, longshot. It was a perfect storm.

The .10c super paid something like $1,100. So, it cost me a nice sum. It was almost like divine intervention. Never lost connectivity again on that trip.

precocity
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
2012 dubai world cup never forget this beatdown!!!!!! bet 10$ w/p on the :8: and 30$ w/p for a co workers on the :8:so my mom called and wanted a tri so put that in cost like 60 for a buck and I told her I really like the :8: Monterosso!!!!! so i put in 10 across for her!!!! :mad: :mad: 12 min left to bet and I am playing on twinspires and my electricity goes out!!!!! it was out for over a hour!!! :mad: not even going to say what I WAS GOING TO BET ON THE :8:

Monterosso $73.60 $16.40 :confused: :mad: