PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore mall shooting

DJofSD
01-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Breaking news: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/01/25/police-investigate-reports-of-shooting-in-columbia-mall/

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
This can't be happening. There are laws against guns in MD

That's a great mall

Nice Apple store

Another gun free zone?

HUSKER55
01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
and still the dems think that outlawing guns will work

RunForTheRoses
01-25-2014, 07:49 PM
This really sucks, went to a concert there two summers ago at Merriweather Post. with relatives from Annapolis, poor people didn't deserve this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/shooting-suburban-baltimore-mall-report-article-1.1591124

https://www.facebook.com/brianna.benlolo

FantasticDan
01-25-2014, 07:52 PM
and still the dems think that outlawing guns will workIt's weird, for some reason I don't see outlawing guns listed under the party platform..

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/democratic_party_gun_control.htm

Eh, there probably shouldn't be any regulation of firearms whatsoever. Let kids have 'em, let crooks have 'em. That's the way the founding fathers and Jesus always wanted it!

Clocker
01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
It's weird, for some reason I don't see outlawing guns listed under the party platform..

http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/democratic_party_gun_control.htm

Eh, there probably shouldn't be any regulation of firearms whatsoever. Let kids have 'em, let crooks have 'em. That's the way the founding fathers and Jesus always wanted it!

Here we go again.

From the link above:

We will protect Americans’ Second Amendment right to own firearms, and we will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists by fighting gun crime, reauthorizing the assault weapons ban, and closing the gun show loophole, as President Bush proposed and failed to do.

Point by point:

1. Gun ownership by criminals, terrorists, and people with mental health problems is already illegal. The problem is that existing laws are not effectively enforced. Law enforcement is often not fighting gun crime. The strongest gun laws and the highest gun crime coexist in Chicago, a city that is less friendly to conservatives than NYC. A major reason gun laws are not effectively enforced is liberal political correctness.

2. The assault weapons ban was worse than useless. It had no effect on gun crime. It was purely cosmetic. It's sole impact was to increase prices for law-abiding citizens.

3. There is no such thing as a gun show loophole.

Liberals writing gun laws is like 7 year-olds writing traffic laws. They know nothing about the subject and try to intuit solutions based on hear-say and what they see on TV.

jballscalls
01-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Just saw a picture of one of the victims from her Facebook page and it appears she has a less than year old baby. Just awful.

Robert Goren
01-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Here we go again.

From the link above:

Point by point:

1. Gun ownership by criminals, terrorists, and people with mental health problems is already illegal. The problem is that existing laws are not effectively enforced. Law enforcement is often not fighting gun crime. The strongest gun laws and the highest gun crime coexist in Chicago, a city that is less friendly to conservatives than NYC. A major reason gun laws are not effectively enforced is liberal political correctness.

2. The assault weapons ban was worse than useless. It had no effect on gun crime. It was purely cosmetic. It's sole impact was to increase prices for law-abiding citizens.

3. There is no such thing as a gun show loophole.

Liberals writing gun laws is like 7 year-olds writing traffic laws. They know nothing about the subject and try to intuit solutions based on hear-say and what they see on TV.Enforcement cost money. The gun nuts make sure there is no money for enforcement and bitch that that laws are being enforced. It is oldest trick in the book. Pass a law and then don't fund the law. It makes it looks like they care without changing a thing.

Clocker
01-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Enforcement cost money. The gun nuts make sure there is no money for enforcement and bitch that that laws are being enforced. It is oldest trick in the book. Pass a law and then don't fund the law. It makes it looks like they care without changing a thing.

That must be the problem. Like Chicago, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and some of the worst gun crime. Funding for law enforcement in Chicago is controlled by the City Council, which consists of 50 aldermen representing the city's 50 wards. Out of those 50 aldermen, only slightly more than 49 are Democrats. WIKI. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_City_Council) So it is easy to see how those sneaky gun nuts prevent enforcement of gun laws by blocking funding.

cj's dad
01-26-2014, 01:12 AM
For Information pourposes only-- The mall is in Columbia; one of the most liberal cities in Md. - The mall is 25 minutes from downtown B'more and 20-25 minutes from DC. It is a yuppie/ lib enclave

Robert Goren
01-26-2014, 08:54 AM
That must be the problem. Like Chicago, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and some of the worst gun crime. Funding for law enforcement in Chicago is controlled by the City Council, which consists of 50 aldermen representing the city's 50 wards. Out of those 50 aldermen, only slightly more than 49 are Democrats. WIKI. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_City_Council) So it is easy to see how those sneaky gun nuts prevent enforcement of gun laws by blocking funding.The is no shortage of gun nuts in the democratic party. That being said, there is real problem about enough funding for any kind of law enforcement in parts of Chicago. But arresting and convicting them is not enough. You have to be willing to keep them in jail for long periods of times. Nobody, republicans or democrats, wants to spend money to build more jails.

Tom
01-26-2014, 09:35 AM
The is no shortage of nuts in the democratic party.

Close, Bobby....close!

Clocker
01-26-2014, 10:14 AM
The is no shortage of gun nuts in the democratic party.

Name 3 at the national level.

And Joe Biden and his scary shotgun doesn't count.

DJofSD
01-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Name 3 at the national level.

And Joe Biden and his scary shotgun doesn't count.
Just look inside the draw in the night stand next to their bed.

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
For Information pourposes only-- The mall is in Columbia; one of the most liberal cities in Md. - The mall is 25 minutes from downtown B'more and 20-25 minutes from DC. It is a yuppie/ lib enclave

One of the state's first "planned communities," similar to Reston, VA. I always thought it was an okay place - liberals know how to create a nice town/city, just not how to keep them safe.

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 01:50 PM
The is no shortage of gun nuts in the democratic party. That being said, there is real problem about enough funding for any kind of law enforcement in parts of Chicago. But arresting and convicting them is not enough. You have to be willing to keep them in jail for long periods of times. Nobody, republicans or democrats, wants to spend money to build more jails.

Late in the Daley admin, Chicago police adopted less aggressive tactics. That, coupled with the incompetence of the current mayor has led to the rise in crime. The current mayor actually tried to recruit the police chief in Philadelphia. Fortunately for the people of Chicago and to the detriment of the people of Philadelphia, Rahm balked at the $400k salary requested by Ramsey. Given Chief Ramsey's distinguished record in Philly and DC (including his unconstitutional traffic database in DC), Rahm probably made the right decision.

FantasticDan
01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Late in the Daley admin, Chicago police adopted less aggressive tactics. That, coupled with the incompetence of the current mayor has led to the rise in crime.Crime is down in Chicago, not up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-boehlert/why-fox-news-lost-interes_b_4555588.html

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Crime is down in Chicago, not up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-boehlert/why-fox-news-lost-interes_b_4555588.html

Only after a spike in 2012....

"FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S.

By Reid Wilson

September 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

The city of Chicago registered more homicides than any city in the nation in 2012, surpassing even New York — despite the fact that the Second City has only one third as many residents as the Big Apple." Washington Post

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Also, what's the per capita murder rate Chicago vs NY?

Clocker
01-26-2014, 03:41 PM

Probably had nothing to do with the Supreme Court striking down Chicago's fascist gun laws. :rolleyes:

FantasticDan
01-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Only after a spike in 2012..
Not true.

http://isps.yale.edu/sites/default/files/publication/2013/12/48yearsofcrime_final_ispsworkingpaper023.pdf

Robert Goren
01-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Lets not mix things up too much here. The street killings in Chicago have very little in common with the Baltimore mall shooting.

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Not true.

http://isps.yale.edu/sites/default/files/publication/2013/12/48yearsofcrime_final_ispsworkingpaper023.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/6tabledatadecpdf

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-6

Murders weren't up in 2012 vs 2011? The FBI data differs with your opinion. Enough anyway - I've never seen you criticism a Dem. You're a bitter partisan who just can't be objective.

JustRalph
01-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Lets not mix things up too much here. The street killings in Chicago have very little in common with the Baltimore mall shooting.

Right. This Columbia shooting is a head scratcher so far

Yesterday it's a domestic today they have no connection. What's up with that?

If he randomly targeted that store, it's even more tragic for those families

ronsmac
01-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Columbia and Baltimore are two different worlds for the most part. It appears the shooter was from a D.C. suburb and has almost nothing to do with Baltimore, at least from what I read.

HUSKER55
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
on the news tonight they showed a picture of the gun and the kid and claimed he walked around the mall for an hour before he started shooting.

So much for the door alarms

Robert Goren
01-27-2014, 09:31 AM
In the believe it or not category, Nebraska has the highest Black murder rate.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/report-nebraska-no-in-black-homicide-rate/article_58aca01f-f0cc-5a73-ad98-02c9c5d1a43b.html

pandy
01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
As some have pointed out, the existing guns laws are not enforced properly. Even though I am pro-constitution and therefore pro-2nd amendment, I do believe that there should be tougher gun laws and proper enforcement of these laws.

Those of you who believe that the amount of guns or types of guns have absolutely nothing to do with the murder rate don't have statistics on your side.

The United States has the highest gun ownership rate in the world and the highest per capita rate of firearm-related murders of all developed countries.

How anyone can think that easy access to guns by teenagers and just about anyone else doesn't lead to more murders is beyond me.

DJofSD
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Any one watch "60 Minutes" last night? Specifically, the segment about mental illness?

There was one aspect of the situation with Deeds I'd like to know more about. The state senator stated he'd locked up all of his weapons except for a hunting gun (rifle assumed). He did not remove that gun because there was not an ammo for it, or, it was not readily available. But yet, his son took his own life using that weapon. Obviously, both the gun and ammo were available to be used.

Where did that ammo come from? Why not lock up the gun any ways?

PhantomOnTour
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
You guys are fargin' pathetic....who cares that people were killed - we wanna argue about gun laws again, dammit!

burnsy
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
You guys are fargin' pathetic....who cares that people were killed - we wanna argue about gun laws again, dammit!

That's the problem...no one really believes it will happen to them. Until someone in THEIR CIRCLE gets shot or killed. Then you bet your ass they'll be crying about it! As I've said before, i'm good with a gun. My dad had me and my brother shooting when we were 7 years old. But with the "moron" and "whacko" rate we have today....there's clearly a problem. The answer is way above gun laws and a bunch of "theorist" on the internet. What about the way people think? "Oh I had a bad day (or life) so I'll stroll down to the local mall or school and start randomly shooting people.".........Start addressing the f'ed up values and ways our society thinks and functions (violently). When people are thinking behavior like this "solves the problem" or makes them a glorious martyr..........you have yourself one sick ass society. Its easier to bitch and moan (about laws or what some elected jackass will do) than it is to take a long hard LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

DJofSD
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Sure is a sick ass society. Pop a pill then everything is groovy.

FantasticDan
01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Sure is a sick ass society. Pop a pill then everything is groovy.Sgt. Joe Friday sure taught me otherwise.. :cool: ;)

HUSKER55
01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
ya know, if you think about it, the schools in the USA are failing. Neighbor kids I help count by 5 using fingers and the grandkid got mad because the teacher won't let him use his ipad to do school work.

How many tens in 30? I don't know how many tens in ten? His response...why am I being a bastard?

He father has a vidio game collection that you have to see to believe. They know how to play ARMY, and I swear them little shits can strip a M16 clean it and put it back together. (figurative speech...you get the idea). Those games are very graphic.

All the movies come out are beating an unbeatable foe or working in a whore house.

Maybe I am getting too old too fast, but more and more "young people" seem to be walking around "blank".

it just seems there are more and more just slipping thru the cracks

DJofSD
01-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Husker, you need a change of venue to put some perspective into your view.

HUSKER55
01-27-2014, 03:34 PM
you are probably right. when I was a kid the female teachers walked around with rulers and the principle walked around with a US Marine ring turned backwards and would slap us boys around when we made mistakes.

Their idea of generosity was letting you use a slide rule in chemistry exams.

upon reflection, you ARE right. My perspective is twisted.

I sorry.

DJofSD
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Do not apologize. It's not necessary.

If you have a First Tee organization, check them out. You'll see a different bunch of kids.

DJofSD
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/27/colorado-sees-huge-spike-in-travel-demand-in-wake-of-legal-pot-sales/

Can we make those one way tickets?

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Start addressing the f'ed up values and ways our society thinks and functions (violently).I like how you qualified your statement at the end there with the word violently.

It's SO NOT just that. When you (we) start addressing the f'ed up values and ways our society thinks and functions (NON VIOLENTLY), then you will be WELL ON YOUR WAY to solving the "violently" part of the equation.

But nobody is going to go down that route anymore. Too many people will be offended, and as we all know, political correctness rules (and now kills, IMO).

cj's dad
01-29-2014, 11:58 AM
This story in never ending in the Baltinore/Washington market. Every newscast leads off with updates on the "Mall Shooting". This is one of those freak things that will succeed 99% of the time. Thank God only two innocents were murdered and not 30-40.

Robert Fischer
01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
This story in never ending in the Baltinore/Washington market. Every newscast leads off with updates on the "Mall Shooting". This is one of those freak things that will succeed 99% of the time. Thank God only two innocents were murdered and not 30-40.

If I had to bet, I'd guess that the murderer was simply a suicidal/depressed young man, who wanted to harm a peer or two on his way out.

Whether he had some kind of relationship or crush on the girl(maybe the highest logical %), or whether it was a group dynamic with a couple of the skater crowd.

The media has gone crazy with this manufacturing an air of mystery, or implying that this was a 'random shooting', and politically this is a whole mess with one party trying to use this as an anti-gun platform...

I would have to guess that the main issue should be focused on the suicidal and depression issues. We average around 100 suicides/day, and this time of year it has to be higher. I haven't looked at the numbers but that young-male category is probably a hotbed.

Maybe instead of all the anti-gun talk, there should be more openness on dealing with those feelings, life-repair, how irrational it is to "want to take revenge or take someone with you" etc... ?

pandy
01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
If I had to bet, I'd guess that the murderer was simply a suicidal/depressed young man, who wanted to harm a peer or two on his way out.

Whether he had some kind of relationship or crush on the girl(maybe the highest logical %), or whether it was a group dynamic with a couple of the skater crowd.

The media has gone crazy with this manufacturing an air of mystery, or implying that this was a 'random shooting', and politically this is a whole mess with one party trying to use this as an anti-gun platform...

I would have to guess that the main issue should be focused on the suicidal and depression issues. We average around 100 suicides/day, and this time of year it has to be higher. I haven't looked at the numbers but that young male category is probably a hotbed.

Maybe instead of all the anti-gun talk, there should be more openness on dealing with those feelings, life-repair, how irrational it is to "want to take revenge or take someone with you" etc... ?

It's always been tough to be a teenager, with all the idiots and bullies you have to deal with in school, peer pressure, and just the immaturity factor. But parents are culpable to a certain extent in many of these suicides or gun related crimes because they don't realize that adolescents are not adults. They are immature and they therefore do stupid or irrational things. Leaving guns in the house around children or teenagers is asking for trouble. And parents have to be made more aware of the kind of challenges that teens are facing today.

johnhannibalsmith
01-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Can we please keep them away from cars then as well? I've nearly been killed by immature, irrational adolescents (including myself) in mommy and daddy's car way more often than I have by their weapons.

JustRalph
03-13-2014, 02:25 AM
http://bit.ly/1lXwwiP

More info