PDA

View Full Version : willing in your horse

tonypp
01-24-2014, 07:13 PM
does anyone here think you can will in your horse?

kingfin66
01-24-2014, 07:39 PM

I have a special headband that I use to send positive energy to my horse. If that is not working I yell at the television. If both of those fail, I blame the jockey or assert that racing is corrupt. If it is a really bad beat I will both claim the game is rigged and blame the jockey.

Note: The positive energy comes from black, French roast coffee. Don't be fooled by posers who drink herbal tea.

tonypp
01-24-2014, 07:42 PM
I rub my cross,and pray to God to bless my horse.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: I have a special headband that I use to send positive energy to my horse. If that is not working I yell at the television. If both of those fail, I blame the jockey or assert that racing is corrupt. If it is a really bad beat I will both claim the game is rigged and blame the jockey.

Note: The positive energy comes from black, French roast coffee. Don't be fooled by posers who drink herbal tea.

jk3521
01-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I try to will him.....But he won't :D

davew
01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I did yell and scream at Santa Anita one day about 30 years ago - the only then that really happened was I got a sore throat.

tonypp
01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
:bang: im the tim tebow of horse racingI try to will him.....But he won't :D

Longshot6977
01-24-2014, 08:22 PM

While I never raise my voice or yell and scream like some others (very unprofessional and rude to others), I do sometimes "will" in my horse or horses into the finish positions I want in my mind. Miraculously, sometimes it works. But many times no good.

Short funny story: I used to see a partially mentally disabled young boy who was 17 or 18 years old with his father every Saturday nite at Freehold. They loved playing Yonkers and the BigM. He would hold his ticket against up his forehead as the race was run. He would mutter things like "get that 4 horse in the front", "come on 5, come on 5, pass him", "go now 6", "move up 3 move up" or whatever. People around him thought he had no chance with the lousy horses he played. Miraculously, the kid would 'will' those nags home and he would be happy as a pig in shit with his dad when they would win or place.:)

therussmeister
01-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm practicing this by starting with something easier. I find I can will a flipped coin to land on heads or tails, as I please, with 100% accuracy when it works, but so far it only works 50% of the time.

CincyHorseplayer
01-24-2014, 09:24 PM
I've been known to shuffle my feet sideways for about 100 feet near the wire willing a horse to get it done.The funny part about it is I have one guy at River Downs that does it too and we've bumped into each other doing so about a handful of times over the years!With more than a couple of those ending up in a pogo like celebration when we win!HAHA!

Hoofless_Wonder
01-26-2014, 06:20 PM
I will my horse home by leaning in my chair as they come down to the wire - the angle of the lean is a function of the payoff and margin. This results in me falling over with a crash with big dough or a close photo. :blush:

This usually ain't so bad, except for the occasional Aussie race where they run clockwise, 'cause then I fall on my bad shoulder.... :(

Ocala Mike
01-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I used all the leaning and English I could muster to get that :14: horse home in the place photo in yesterday's 7th at SA. My wife thought I was having a spastic seizure!

EMD4ME
01-26-2014, 10:58 PM
I used all the leaning and English I could muster to get that :14: horse home in the place photo in yesterday's 7th at SA. My wife thought I was having a spastic seizure!

I started LAUGHING ten minutes ago and I'm still laughing :D Love it!!!

Mystic
01-26-2014, 11:07 PM
I've been known to shuffle my feet sideways for about 100 feet near the wire willing a horse to get it done.The funny part about it is I have one guy at River Downs that does it too and we've bumped into each other doing so about a handful of times over the years!With more than a couple of those ending up in a pogo like celebration when we win!HAHA!
:lol:

Mystic
01-26-2014, 11:08 PM
!!OOOOOOOOOO!!

Mystic
01-26-2014, 11:09 PM
What a hilarious thread! l laughed a lot! :D

Bill Cullen
01-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Willing your horse to win? I'd like to see the experimental design you'd use to test that hypothesis!

How would you operationally define the variable "willing?"
Even a superficial survey of the history of philosophy and psychology would show the problems inherent in introspection vis-a-vis establishing any empricial standards against which the hypothesis could be tested.

Most of the rail birds at the Big A, Belmont and the Spa are down an the favorite and they ony get it right one thrid of the time at underlay prices and they're screaming their heads off and wildly gesturing with all the willfulness they can muster.

Hey, I hope i'm wrong and you can will your way into happiness.

Best,

Bill C

nijinski
01-27-2014, 12:37 AM
I like to observe quietly , usually . If I get lucky and I see my horse make
a strong move coming down the stretch , I just holler YES at the wire !!!
I would bet there are a lot of yes , shout outs here .

CincyHorseplayer
01-27-2014, 02:29 AM
:lol:

Man I was hoping somebody appreciated that.It was fun as hell in real life! :cool:

CincyHorseplayer
01-27-2014, 02:38 AM
Yeah let's talk about the ultimate level of sophistication.

I'm sitting at a table watching the same faces in a building for endless hours.

The orgasm hits.Pieces of paper are overturned.It is a mathematical certainty.

What an awesome way to make money.The best confrontation man to man is a fist fight.For you pedestrian types that isn't an option.The best way to win is seeing your horse thunder down the stretch.It is the most clear cut,fist clenching,adrenalin inspiring event.It is the payoff.

DSB
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
I've watched and bet on so many races that I stopped yelling and screaming a long time ago.

However, if I train the horse I'm watching, I loudly urge it on in the stretch if I think it has a chance.

There's something about owning and/or training one that takes it to a different level. It's almost like rooting for your kid or something.

Mystic
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I guess it all depends on how much $$ is on the line or if it's a nice longshot winning.. Not easy to get too excited about a 2-1 shot winning I suppose.

I know I have said a prayer or two (or more) while watching usually a big race and hoping my horse wins.. I know I said a lot of prayers when Smarty Jones and Cigar were racing :)

Clocker
01-27-2014, 03:36 PM
If both of those fail, I blame the jockey or assert that racing is corrupt.

I know that the jockeys and the track are conspiring against me, so I keep quiet and wear a tin foil hat when I bet so that they don't know which horse I am betting on.

Dave Schwartz
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Yes, but I must admit I have not had much success at making up those big lengths in the stretch. :lol: :lol:

LottaKash
01-27-2014, 04:48 PM
My rooting a horse home, thru these some fifty odd years, has gone thru quite a metamorphosis to say the least.....

As a newbie I would yell my lungs out for my number to come in...And that changed to and from, whipping my butt with the program, using body English to the point of pulling my back out a time or two, and I guess everything in between those "rooting traits"....

Nowadays with the live track thing mostly out of my reality, I still root them home, but sort of in a Parental way, saying things like: "you can do this, you have the numbers and the form to do it" and when they win I will give them a sedate "good boy or girl".... Still, on those occasions when my play hasn't quite lived up to my expectation, by not running the race I thought they would race, and the pick seemed to be "hopelessly out of it thruout", and then they suddenly come storming home, like from out of the clouds, or shot out of a cannon late, to just get up at the line...I yell like crazy at the finish....

I guess you never get too, too old to sport some gusto at times...I am glad of it still...:jump:

Robert Fischer
01-27-2014, 05:01 PM
I'll root a horse home from time to time.

"Come on with the 4"

raybo
01-28-2014, 11:39 AM
I quit rooting for a horse years ago, but I'm still known to say some rather pointed words, in disgust, towards jockeys who aren't doing what they should be doing. :bang:

Sometimes I think I missed my true calling in life. At 5'-8" and 125 pounds soaking wet, and a lifetime athlete in many sports, maybe I should have been a jockey?

iceknight
01-28-2014, 11:50 AM
I always try to will my horse in.. it works on some occasions :P and then I give more credit to willing in than the training job

Bettowin
01-28-2014, 02:40 PM
I leave the "willing" up to the jockeys but I do get a big kick out of the guy who gallops in place and whips his own butt with the program while shouting for his horse:)

At Canterbury years ago there was this long haired dude (someone told me he was a lawyer) who would jump around and yell right in front of the big screen TV and just as they were coming to the wire he would jump right in front of the screen blocking everyone's view. Then would argue with people until the numbers came up. Quite the character.