PDA

View Full Version : Medaglia d'Oro

Paseana
01-24-2014, 03:21 AM
He's done some pretty nice things as a sire, but I think he might be one of the more under-appreciated racehorses of the last 30 years or so.

I have his lifetime PPs, but I don't know how to post them.

This horse raced 17 times. He was off the board twice....the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. The other 15 races had him in the exacta.

Beyers: 81 in his debut and 82 in the Preakness. In 15 races, he ran triple-digit Beyers. In his 4yo season, he ran 6 races with Beyers of 119, 111, 114, 118, 117, & 117. His last race was the Dubai World Cup, and there's no BSF for that one, but he lost that race by 3/4 length to Pleasantly Perfect in 2:00/1.

People say that Medaglia d'Oro "couldn't get 10 furlongs". I don't think so.

2nd to Volponi in the BC Classic. Volpoini was a nice horse that freaked that day. Medaglia d'Oro bested everybody else in that race.

2nd to Pleasantly Perfect in the BC Classic. He battled with Congaree in a speed duel, put that great runner away, but couldn't hold off the true 10f horse Pleasantly Perfect.

2nd to Candy Ride in the Pacific Classic. He lost the Pacific Classic that day, but he broke the track record for the distance.

And here's one that nobody remembers. Medaglia d'Oro finished 1/2 length second to the crazy Sarava in the Belmont Stakes.

All I'm saying here is that Medaglia d'Oro is most under-appreciated racehorse of the last 30 years or so.

JustRalph
01-24-2014, 03:42 AM
You missed his greatest contribution in my opine.

Rachel Alexandra

Stillriledup
01-24-2014, 03:57 AM
If i remember correctly off the top of my head, he had a tough trip in the Derby and was a really good 4th, and then came back in the Preakness and laid an egg....i dont remember if there was ever an official 'excuse' he just never ran. Came back in the Belmont and if it wasnt for Sarava, he would have won by a large margin, i think he beat the 3rd place finisher by 10 lengths or something like that.

precocity
01-24-2014, 05:34 AM
12 Medaglia d'Oro

El Prado, 1999 $100,000
Darley, Kentucky 247 112 56 18 25 7 1 Rydilluc ($439,600----$7,783,016
not bad for a old man, stud fee still 100geez remember my mom had a big w/p bet on him in the belmont...good times.

1st time lasix
01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
His loss in the Belmont was the most painful beat of my life in this game. The margin was not a half a length to Savara...it was a head bob. It cost me the pick six, the pick four, the pick three, the double, the win and the super. The picture of the photo finish with their noses on the wire was on the cover of the sport section the next day. I think I calculatted that my opportunity loss was 32 thousand in total. Just the mention of his name makes it all so vivid. I thought it was going to be his day.

speed
01-24-2014, 10:15 AM
His loss in the Belmont was the most painful beat of my life in this game. The margin was not a half a length to Savara...it was a head bob. It cost me the pick six, the pick four, the pick three, the double, the win and the super. The picture of the photo finish with their noses on the wire was on the cover of the sport section the next day. I think I calculatted that my opportunity loss was 32 thousand in total. Just the mention of his name makes it all so vivid. I thought it was going to be his day.
Memories do change based on what it cost us. Sarava did win by a half a length or so.

Valuist
01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Lots of hype on Indianapolis, who's a son of Medaglia d'oro. Want to see how he handles two turns first. Solid fig other day but beat up on a real small field.

aaron
01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Memories do change based on what it cost us. Sarava did win by a half a length or so.
I believe that was the only time in my life that a back wheel actually worked out for the best result.That was the biggest exacta,I have ever had.

precocity
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
dam thats a hell of a beatdown, remember my mom yelling and yelling and yelling for him to win! thats my memory we were at lone star park and it was so loud in there and she still blew my ear drums out my skull? :cool: good times? remember it like it was yesterday!

Valuist
01-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Here's the chart. It was a half length. Didn't realize Medaglia d'Oro was 16-1 in the race. Of course War Emblem was severely overbet and had the poor break. Wiseman's Ferry, the sire of Wise Dan, made a very uneventful appearance in the race. Pretty forgettable field:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=10&BorP=P&TID=BEL&CTRY=USA&DT=6/8/2002&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

1st time lasix
01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
"fought head's apart...gave way grudgingly" That is a long stretch at Belmont,... I stand by my personal observation....

precocity
01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Here's the chart. It was a half length. Didn't realize Medaglia d'Oro was 16-1 in the race. Of course War Emblem was severely overbet and had the poor break. Wiseman's Ferry, the sire of Wise Dan, made a very uneventful appearance in the race. Pretty forgettable field:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=10&BorP=P&TID=BEL&CTRY=USA&DT=6/8/2002&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

but my mom loved that horse she spent 400 and got back 1600 not bad at all. and she aint rich, she saved for that race....love you mom. :cool:

and i blew all this money on exotics didn't even come close and a big w/p on proud citizen. :cool: