PDA

View Full Version : True Detective

Maximillion
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Missed the boat on Breaking Bad (still intend to pick it up when I find the time.)

Caught the first two episodes of this and found it to be pretty riveting.
Set in mid-90s Louisianna and the present day.

FantasticDan
01-23-2014, 10:35 PM
It's an anthology series, so there's 13 episodes of this story and characters, then on to something else.

I'm liking it fine based largely on McConaughey's character and performance, but the show overall is torpid as hell.

redshift1
01-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Big surprise, Matthew McConaughey early favorite for an Emmy with his portrayal of Rust Cohle in True Detective is also a favorite for Best Actor Oscar via his performance in Dallas Buyer's Club.

Slow but complex dialogue steeped in religion with obscure references and no easy answers.

Here's a five page analysis from EW of episode 2, there's a lot going on

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/true-detective-season-1-episode-2-seeing-things/

Alexandra Daddario.... wow what a scene.

classhandicapper
01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
I watched the first 2 episodes. I'm going to give it 1-2 more chances to hook me, but if it doesn't, back to on demand repeats of Storage Wars, Chopped, or Hardcore Pawn for me. ;)

FantasticDan
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I watched the first 2 episodes. I'm going to give it 1-2 more chances to hook me, but if it doesn't, back to on demand repeats of Storage Wars, Chopped, or Hardcore Pawn for me. ;)All those shows have more writers than True Detective :p

mountainman
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
The murder case seems standard tv issue, and great acting is commonplace in hbo's original series. But the structure, is, in my opinion, brilliant as the present informs the past-and visa versa. Here's hoping the 1990's scenes aren't meant strictly as exposition and, at some point, abandoned, but instead continue as a separate story arc.

Obviously, those flashbacks have been more compelling than whatever predicament the apparently estranged detectives nowadays find themselves in (watching McConaughey chain smoke and divulge his drinking habits to the black detectives isn't quite as entertaining as the writers seem to think), but if there's some surprising purpose to the modern day interviews, and the current story line becomes equally compelling without cannibalizing the past, True Detectives could really gather momentum.

Maximillion
01-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Big surprise, Matthew McConaughey early favorite for an Emmy with his portrayal of Rust Cohle in True Detective is also a favorite for Best Actor Oscar via his performance in Dallas Buyer's Club.

Slow but complex dialogue steeped in religion with obscure references and no easy answers.

Here's a five page analysis from EW of episode 2, there's a lot going on

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/true-detective-season-1-episode-2-seeing-things/

Alexandra Daddario.... wow what a scene.

That "recap" (from EW) was a pretty difficult read.He seems to be going in 15 different directions with every paragraph.

ArlJim78
01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
The Woody Harrelson character really hit the jackpot in terms of female companionship in this town. not only does he have a younger really hot wife, but also an even younger, insanely hot world class buxom knockout just waiting around alone in an apartment in this Podunk LA town for Woody's drunken booty call. riiight.
the next hottest women seen so far is a dirty, bruised up, drugged up, rundown floozy who sells drugs to and comes on to McConaughey.

FantasticDan
01-24-2014, 10:26 PM
The Woody Harrelson character really hit the jackpot in terms of female companionship in this town. not only does he have a younger really hot wife, but also an even younger, insanely hot world class buxom knockout just waiting around alone in an apartment in this Podunk LA town for Woody's drunken booty call. riiight. :D :ThmbUp: Totally agree..

Tom
01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I never like anything HBO puts out, other than Luck.
Just think their stuff is slow, boring and a waster of time.
HBO is on my buh-bye list for the end of the month.

mountainman
01-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I never like anything HBO puts out, other than Luck.
Just think their stuff is slow, boring and a waster of time.
HBO is on my buh-bye list for the end of the month.

I think that's why Boardwalk Empire won't be continued after nest season. It moves too slowly. There's a smug, over-confident aspect to some of their productions that results not only in a glacial pace, but also bland, even depressing scenes that may flesh out the characters, but do nothing to drive the story.

Not even the Sopranos was immune to this treatment, but I think the writers learned, adjusted, and steered away from such self-indulgences in a more entertaining direction. Remember at conception when the Sopranos was pitched as and predicated on the 'boss mobster sees a shrink' hook? Thankfully, as the series progressed, Tony reflected less and less on his beloved duckies, and by the end, Dr Melfi was barely in evidence.

Tom
01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
The hell with the characters - I want a story.
If I want characters, I'll spend time with my relatives! :D

I did watch BWE when it started, it looked like it might be good, but dragged out too long. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Maximillion
01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Third episode was a letdown imo.

I want to see two guys who are really good at what they do tackle the case at hand.
Side plots are ok,but nothing was established here other than further damaging the Woody character.
The air of mystery created in the first two episodes was somewhat lost here.

redshift1
01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Wondering why the inclusion of the daughters in respect to:

Suggestive Doll arrangement in episode 2.

Odd dialogue while fishing in the canoe episode 2

Suggestive drawings in episode 3.

Does this have a bearing on the story arc or just a dead end, hard to know?

FantasticDan
01-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Third episode was a letdown imo.I actually thought this ep had a nice simmer to it. Sure looks to be some fireworks coming up..

FantasticDan
01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Reminder that TD won't be airing a new episode this Sunday, courtesy of the footballer contest :p

redshift1
02-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Back tonight with a solid episode and a nod to Children of Men.

Anyone notice the unusual video technique used for both Children of Men and True Detective. Hint it takes place in the second half of tonight's episode.

FantasticDan
02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Anyone notice the unusual video technique used for both Children of Men and True Detective. Hint it takes place in the second half of tonight's episode.One long, wild, single take. That was some crazy scene. I thought the whole biker thing was borderline ridiculous and incoherent, but can't say it wasn't exciting.. :p

redshift1
02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Broken taillights.

ArlJim78
02-25-2014, 01:57 AM
the theme and title sequence on TD are incredible if you ask me. better than the show which while I am watching and want to like it, it's just so damn uneven.

ZRPpCqXYoos

Maximillion
02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
the theme and title sequence on TD are incredible if you ask me. better than the show which while I am watching and want to like it, it's just so damn uneven.

ZRPpCqXYoos

It is a great song,to me it sounds a little like Joy Division doing a folk song.

Maximillion
02-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Broken taillights.

The fight between Marty and Rust broke the tailight on Rust's truck.

This took place in 2002?

Not sure of the significance of lingering on the taillights in the final scene.....maybe to show that the MM character has been so focused on the (to him) unsolved case he has largely ignored everything else for 10 years?

redshift1
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
The fight between Marty and Rust broke the tailight on Rust's truck.

This took place in 2002?

Not sure of the significance of lingering on the taillights in the final scene.....maybe to show that the MM character has been so focused on the (to him) unsolved case he has largely ignored everything else for 10 years?

Visual metaphor for the rupture of two relationships because of infidelity consummated by either the discussion or portrayal of anal sex. We all know infidelity is the neutron bomb of interpersonal relationships.

Maximillion
03-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Interesting to see how they wrap this up with only one episode left.

Last was kinda cool with both of the main characters acting like adults,especially the Marty character.....who was frankly an idiot imo in a few of the episodes.

I personally wouldnt let him run a Taco Bell, much less a high profile murder investigation,but all things change and looking forward to the last show in this series.

BettinBilly
03-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I love the series. The actors are first rate, and it's got the usual "grab your attention" scenes with suspense, sex, surprise, and mystery. I was surprised with Matthew McConaughey's portrayal of Rust Chole. His quiet lilting way of talking and quirky mannerisms really were riveting to me. I've never been much of a fan of McConaughey, but I am now.

The entire series this year has me feeling something profound is going to happen. I just don't have a clue what that will be, but the guy on the riding lawnmower in the last episode has something to do with it.

As another poster noted, I am curious how this season will wrap up. Probably a cliff hanger.

(http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVjA79BdTO3EAYcxjmolQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1394107580/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fstarcasm.net%2farchives%2f260137/RK=0/RS=O19AH.rhpE.SMtTFjgn_ktXGaiw-)

fast4522
03-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Much depends on the numbers of people cutting the cord, investment in these type of series will always be. Peoples attitude on how much goes to cable, the exorbitant amount spent on the home car are suddenly in flux right now. This show is no Sopranos so expect the burn rate to be much greater, I think the main character is out of season two already.

FantasticDan
03-06-2014, 11:03 AM
As another poster noted, I am curious how this season will wrap up. Probably a cliff hanger.This is an anthology series, meaning next season will contain new characters and a new story. So this season will have a conclusion, not a cliffhanger.

I agree with your praise of McConaughey's performance, for me it's easily the standout aspect of the show. Critics are throwing around words like "masterpiece" in reference to the show in general, but I certainly wouldn't go that far. It's depiction of women has been juvenile and borderline ridiculous.

FantasticDan
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Thoughts on the finale? It's taking some flack in the media for being a letdown..

I was fine with it. Ended more conventionally than I thought, but I appreciated the result. :ThmbUp:

Edited to add: It's been a couple days since the finale aired, so let's feel free to discuss spoilers. If you haven't seen the show or the finale, and don't want to be spoiled, read no further. Fair warning. :cool: