PDA

View Full Version : gelding a well bred horse.

tonypp
01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I have never been around a horse that needs gelding,so why would they geld a horse like shared belief,they have just millions in the breeding shed.

Jens
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been around many thoroughbreds?

Saratoga_Mike
01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm guessing you haven't been around many thoroughbreds?

That was my reaction, too. Harness horses are a different story - much less high strung.

tonypp
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
correct,cutting of there balls changes there tempermentI'm guessing you haven't been around many thoroughbreds?

Stillriledup
01-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I have never been around a horse that needs gelding,so why would they geld a horse like shared belief,they have just millions in the breeding shed.

Not talented enough to make any money as a sire, so why not "get his mind on business"?

precocity
01-23-2014, 05:19 PM
so he wont kick your head off, and bite your head off.

WJ47
01-23-2014, 06:30 PM
My friend had an ungelded thoroughbred colt. He was so high strung, always kicking and biting. One day, he reared up and broke her shoulder. He was gelded the next day! But I agree, it must be a tough decision when you have a horse like Shared Belief.

Stillriledup
01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
My friend had an ungelded thoroughbred colt. He was so high strung, always kicking and biting. One day, he reared up and broke her shoulder. He was gelded the next day! But I agree, it must be a tough decision when you have a horse like Shared Belief.

This is a good point, Its also dangerous from a legal standpoint if you are an owner and a horse goes nuts and injures someone, that's not something owners want to have to deal with, crazy horses who can hurt people.

Saratoga_Mike
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
This is a good point, Its also dangerous from a legal standpoint if you are an owner and a horse goes nuts and injures someone, that's not something owners want to have to deal with, crazy horses who can hurt people.

Insurance and LLC

Grits
01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Good (and always superstitious) trainers will tell you, "if you don't throw his clipped package on the roof of the barn "for good luck", most likely, your efforts will be in vain. Therefore, "your fighting lunatic" still may not settle and develop into a manageable, a fine racehorse." ;)

Saratoga_Mike
01-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Good (and always superstitious) trainers will tell you, "if you don't throw his clipped package on the roof of the barn "for good luck", most likely, your efforts will be in vain. Therefore, "your fighting lunatic" still may not settle and develop into a manageable, a fine racehorse." ;)

...totally gross but true superstition

Grits
01-25-2014, 04:27 PM
...totally gross but true superstition

I wouldn't have told it if it wasn't.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 04:49 PM

I wondered what the Doctor was doing on the balcony right after my vasectomy.........