PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Browns.......no coach

JustRalph
01-22-2014, 06:45 PM
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/01/22/cleveland-browns-coaching-search-lose-out-on-another-candidate.html

What if nobody takes it?

Wade Phillips is still out there looking for a job

This is what happens when you fire your coaches every year

Zydeco
01-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Might be looking for a coach from the Super Bowl teams.

cj's dad
01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Might be looking for a coach from the Super Bowl teams.

John Harbaugh and Brian Billick may not be available.

I remember when Marvin Lewis was touted as the reason the Ravens won SB XXXV- How's that working out for the Bungles?

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 07:35 PM

I remember when Marvin Lewis was touted as the reason the Ravens won SB XXXV- How's that working out for the Bungles?

Its going to get worse for them now that Mike Zimmer isnt around as the DC.

ManU918
01-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Pretty sure Mike Pettine is getting the job.

tucker6
01-22-2014, 09:30 PM
who?? Exactly why the Browns are always in the cellar. Stop firing coaches after one year. That's pathetic.

ManU918
01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
who?? Exactly why the Browns are always in the cellar. Stop firing coaches after one year. That's pathetic.

He was the Bills defensive coordinator last year. Who in their right mind would want that job? Great article on deadspin yesterday...

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-coaching-search-just-got-sadder-and-more-de-1505776634

Robert Goren
01-22-2014, 10:32 PM

I remember when Marvin Lewis was touted as the reason the Ravens won SB XXXV- How's that working out for the Bungles?All thing considered, pretty darn well. He is the playoff hunt year after with a team that 5 win talent. The Bengals have the cheapest owner in the NFL and second only the Clippers own in pro sports. Yet they are able to hold their own most years with the Ravens and the Steelers.

tucker6
01-23-2014, 06:41 AM
All thing considered, pretty darn well. He is the playoff hunt year after with a team that 5 win talent. The Bengals have the cheapest owner in the NFL and second only the Clippers own in pro sports. Yet they are able to hold their own most years with the Ravens and the Steelers.
Since 2000 season, the Bengals are 13-15 against the Ravens and 7-21 against the Steelers. Two playoff appearances during that time and both were one and done. Whereas the Ravens and Steelers have both won two SB's during that span. But okay, they are holding their own ...

cj's dad
01-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Since 2000 season, the Bengals are 13-15 against the Ravens and 7-21 against the Steelers. Two playoff appearances during that time and both were one and done. Whereas the Ravens and Steelers have both won two SB's during that span. But okay, they are holding their own ...

Thank you Tucker-- RG is living in a dream world.

TJDave
01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Get Marty.

Robert Goren
01-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Since 2000 season, the Bengals are 13-15 against the Ravens and 7-21 against the Steelers. Two playoff appearances during that time and both were one and done. Whereas the Ravens and Steelers have both won two SB's during that span. But okay, they are holding their own ...Who won the division in 2013? The Ravens and the Steelers have a huge edge in the front office. Year in and year out, those two teams have a ton of more raw talent. The fact that Ravens only won two super bowls during those years with the talent is pretty strong indictment of the Raven's coaching.

Valuist
01-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Memo to Jimmy Haslam and the Browns organization: don't fire a coach after one year. You are already talking about one of the least desirable head coaching jobs in the NFL, and by firing the last guy after one year, you are making the job even less attractive, if that is possible.

mountainman
01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure that browns management's most egregious sin has been the quick trigger in firing coaches. I suspect they've also made some bad hires.

As Dean Wormer might say: "Dumb and impatient is no way to go through life, son."

Valuist
01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure that browns management's most egregious sin has been the quick trigger in firing coaches. I suspect they've also made some bad hires.

As Dean Wormer might say: "Dumb and impatient is no way to go through life, son."

In this case, it might be dumb, impatient AND unwanted.

Robert Fischer
01-23-2014, 12:35 PM
If they can get Manziel, at the very least it could improve their media situation.

tucker6
01-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Who won the division in 2013? The Ravens and the Steelers have a huge edge in the front office. Year in and year out, those two teams have a ton of more raw talent. The fact that Ravens only won two super bowls during those years with the talent is pretty strong indictment of the Raven's coaching.
Doubling down I see. :lol:

tucker6
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Memo to Jimmy Haslam and the Browns organization: don't fire a coach after one year. You are already talking about one of the least desirable head coaching jobs in the NFL, and by firing the last guy after one year, you are making the job even less attractive, if that is possible.
The Browns have relegated themselves to second tier coordinators as new hires. Bill O'Brien must have laughed his head off when the Browns contacted him. It's like the not so beautiful girl at the prom thinking she has a shot at a dance with the star QB.

Valuist
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Sounds like they may finally have found a taker:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/mike_pettine_will_be_in_clevel.html?utm_source=dlv r.it&utm_medium=twitter

ManU918
01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

ding ding ding.

Robert Fischer
01-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Another small-market franchise goes with the "safe", "solid", "defensive minded", etc... decision.

Maybe in 3 years, if this guy works his plan to a tee, they could be a wild-card team?

It seems like more of these teams would find a guy in college or even the CFL that could be a little innovative with the strategy and the roster.

But if they somehow get Manziel, (assuming they handle it well), they can at least get a huge increase in media attention and excitement.

Valuist
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
What is the consensus on Manziel, anyways? Certainly a great college player but I haven't heard overwhelming support that he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback.

Segwin
01-23-2014, 07:23 PM

* yawn * Being from Cleveland I earned that right. Tax payers get to help upgrade their stadium too!

Go Browns!!! (and take the Cavs with ya). :sleeping:

JustRalph
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Sportscasters in Dallas laughing at Pettine for being "dumb enough to take a job nobody else wants"

ManU918
01-23-2014, 08:52 PM
What is the consensus on Manziel, anyways? Certainly a great college player but I haven't heard overwhelming support that he's going to be a solid NFL quarterback.

Some people have him going as the number 1 pick overall... It seems that I'm in the minority on this forum who thinks he will have a very successful NFL career.

Segwin
01-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Sportscasters in Dallas laughing at Pettine for being "dumb enough to take a job nobody else wants"

Aye.

Relwob Owner
01-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Most mock drafts I have seen have him going in the top 10(and as high as number 1), so I guess that would say that the consensus is that he has a decent chance of being a solid NFL QB. Seems like many who he has played against think he will make it in the NFL, most notably Nick Saban, who would seem to be a source with some credibility. Like any quarterback, I think a lot of it depends on where he goes, the talent they put around him and the system he is in. I think he will be a good QB in the NFL.

Valuist
01-24-2014, 10:50 AM

One could also make that same comment about the Dallas job.

JustRalph
01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
One could also make that same comment about the Dallas job.

I've lived in both cities. Cleveland is that shit you wipe off your shoe when you walk into Dallas..........comparing the football teams is laughable. I am not a cowboys fan. But I have dealt with both organizations in some charity work. Night and day difference.

The Dallas Mavs beat the hell out of the Cowboys though when it comes to approachability etc. Cuban runs a pretty good group of people over there.

Btw, anybody want to buy a condo a half hour south of Cleveland, PM me... :lol:

tucker6
01-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Btw, anybody want to buy a condo a half hour south of Cleveland, PM me...
How much you willing to pay me?

Relwob Owner
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
I've lived in both cities. Cleveland is that shit you wipe off your shoe when you walk into Dallas..........comparing the football teams is laughable. I am not a cowboys fan. But I have dealt with both organizations in some charity work. Night and day difference.

The Dallas Mavs beat the hell out of the Cowboys though when it comes to approachability etc. Cuban runs a pretty good group of people over there.

I think your initial comment was about the job not the organizations overall. I would much rather have a head coaching job where there is an actual GM(Cleveland) who isn't the owner(Dallas).

JustRalph
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
I think your initial comment was about the job not the organizations overall. I would much rather have a head coaching job where there is an actual GM(Cleveland) who isn't the owner(Dallas).

excellent point. But that is never going to happen in Dallas. It's the number one bitch I hear from people here. In fact, I've heard from people who work for Jerry :lol:

I had dinner and drinks one night with a guy who is very high up in the organization and is an owner of another sports group here in town. He lambasted Jerry for not hiring a GM. But he also says it will never change. Even after Jerry is gone....... his family will run it from what they tell me.

Relwob Owner
01-24-2014, 09:40 PM
excellent point. But that is never going to happen in Dallas. It's the number one bitch I hear from people here. In fact, I've heard from people who work for Jerry :lol:

I had dinner and drinks one night with a guy who is very high up in the organization and is an owner of another sports group here in town. He lambasted Jerry for not hiring a GM. But he also says it will never change. Even after Jerry is gone....... his family will run it from what they tell me.

I believe it....not good news for Cowboys fans!

As a Browns fan, I dont like anything the new regime has done so far with the coaches or personnel, outside of the Richardson trade. They have a huge opportunity with the picks they have in the draft and I just hope they draft better than last year.

cj's dad
01-24-2014, 10:48 PM
1 of 4 teams that have never been to the Super Bowl--- LMAO:lol:

Relwob Owner
01-24-2014, 11:06 PM
1 of 4 teams that have never been to the Super Bowl--- LMAO:lol:

They have more upside right now than the Ravens....you guys are stuck with a mediocre QB with a contract that cripples the whole team. The Browns have a decent D, a very good wideout and top 3 tight end and two first rounders that if used well, can really help them. The Ravens, though, do have a smart front office that has a chance to figure things out.

TJDave
01-25-2014, 03:43 AM
That both superbowl teams come from States that have legalized pot has not been lost on Cleveland fans. They will soon consider legislation legalizing marijuana, cocaine, lsd and heroin.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 05:39 AM
That both superbowl teams come from States that have legalized pot has not been lost on Cleveland fans. They will soon consider legislation legalizing marijuana, cocaine, lsd and heroin.

There was a time you could get all of that totally unencumbered by visiting "The Flats" in Cleveland. Not so sure the Ohio Revised Code applies in Cleveland

tucker6
01-25-2014, 07:17 AM
I believe it....not good news for Cowboys fans!

As a Browns fan, I dont like anything the new regime has done so far with the coaches or personnel, outside of the Richardson trade. They have a huge opportunity with the picks they have in the draft and I just hope they draft better than last year.
What was the deal with the Richardson trade anyway? I never heard why the messiah was traded mid season.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 08:47 AM
What was the deal with the Richardson trade anyway? I never heard why the messiah was traded mid season.

What this new regime does is often head scratching and at the time, I didn't like it. After hearing Richardson allegedly heard about it on the radio, I felt even worse about the classlessness they apparently showed. That being said, I think they wanted to go into full rebuild mode and just didn't think he was that good and wanted to get as much as they could. Given how he played with the Colts, I think it may have been a good move.

tucker6
01-25-2014, 08:54 AM
What this new regime does is often head scratching and at the time, I didn't like it. After hearing Richardson allegedly heard about it on the radio, I felt even worse about the classlessness they apparently showed. That being said, I think they wanted to go into full rebuild mode and just didn't think he was that good and wanted to get as much as they could. Given how he played with the Colts, I think it may have been a good move.
thank you. I agree that not having the guts to tell a man something like that to his face speaks volumes about everyone in that organization from top to bottom. You just don't treat people like that.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 09:41 AM
thank you. I agree that not having the guts to tell a man something like that to his face speaks volumes about everyone in that organization from top to bottom. You just don't treat people like that.

Couldn't agree more. Frankly, it is hard to stay a fan with the current ownership and people running the team in place. Also, thought it was ridiculous to make all of the rebuilding moves and then fire the coach after one season. Then they wonder why no coach wanted to go there.........

I do think its a lock that they take Manziel if he is there at 4. I believe they traded Richardson right after heavily scouting Manziel at the Alabama game and seeing how he did and wanted insurance and the ability to use the other first rounder if they needed to move up. I think they will take him at 4 and one of the two RB's from Ohio State and Auburn with their other first rounder.

tucker6
01-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Couldn't agree more. Frankly, it is hard to stay a fan with the current ownership and people running the team in place. Also, thought it was ridiculous to make all of the rebuilding moves and then fire the coach after one season. Then they wonder why no coach wanted to go there.........

I do think its a lock that they take Manziel if he is there at 4. I believe they traded Richardson right after heavily scouting Manziel at the Alabama game and seeing how he did and wanted insurance and the ability to use the other first rounder if they needed to move up. I think they will take him at 4 and one of the two RB's from Ohio State and Auburn with their other first rounder.
Honestly, I think Manziel will be an albatross for whomever takes him. He's exciting, but does not have the big league arm for the throws into the flat and size that I feel you need to be a top tier QB in the NFL. I know everyone brings up Drew Brees size-wise, but there are a 100 nobodies who never did a lick in the NFL to counter that argument. Picking a long term franchise QB is a crap shoot, but starting out with an undersized, average armed QB is too risky. A high chance of failure IMHO.

A small sample size would be to look at Luck and RGIII. Luck has all the attributes you want to see in a franchise QB. Big, quick release, throws a fastball, studies the game well. He's a pocket passer and doesn't get hit as much. Talent wise, I think RGIII has more going for him than Luck, but is not as well studied in the game and puts himself in harms way too often. I see Manziel having the same deficiencies as RGIII.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Honestly, I think Manziel will be an albatross for whomever takes him. He's exciting, but does not have the big league arm for the throws into the flat and size that I feel you need to be a top tier QB in the NFL. I know everyone brings up Drew Brees size-wise, but there are a 100 nobodies who never did a lick in the NFL to counter that argument. Picking a long term franchise QB is a crap shoot, but starting out with an undersized, average armed QB is too risky. A high chance of failure IMHO.

A small sample size would be to look at Luck and RGIII. Luck has all the attributes you want to see in a franchise QB. Big, quick release, throws a fastball, studies the game well. He's a pocket passer and doesn't get hit as much. Talent wise, I think RGIII has more going for him than Luck, but is not as well studied in the game and puts himself in harms way too often. I see Manziel having the same deficiencies as RGIII.

Well, agree to disagree on JM. I acknowledge some of the deficiencies but I think he will make up for it with constant improvement and his competitiveness. Plus, that Alabama game and a few of his other gems showed that the knock that he cant make all of the throws may not be accurate. We will see, though. Part of me does wonder if they should stick with Hoyer, who was pretty good before going down, assuming he is getting healthy.

As far as RG3 goes, I am one of the few in the DC area who feels he is getting the shaft a bit. He was unreal last year at his age during the regular season. He should have never been allowed to play against Seattle(I personally think Snyder made the call to have him play). I fear he is now damaged goods and we will never know how good he would have been without senselessly being put in harms way.

Robert Fischer
01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Manziel - the probability is that the Browns will stink, no matter who they get at QB. However, if they get Manziel, - they can sell it, just like the Skins have sold the RG3 show for the last couple/few years. The media relevance, and "fan-hope" is important. Even if JM is a dud, they can stretch that effect out for a few years.

How much you willing to pay me?

lol !

tucker6
01-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Manziel - the probability is that the Browns will stink, no matter who they get at QB. However, if they get Manziel, - they can sell it, just like the Skins have sold the RG3 show for the last couple/few years. The media relevance, and "fan-hope" is important. Even if JM is a dud, they can stretch that effect out for a few years.

Haslam and Banner seem unlike Snyder or a Jerrah Jones, so I'm not sure they would be party to a circus act. But what you wrote is par for the course for the teams that perennially sit near the bottom of the league. Create the sizzle without showing anyone that it's actually Spam being cooked.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Haslam and Banner seem unlike Snyder or a Jerrah Jones, so I'm not sure they would be party to a circus act. But what you wrote is par for the course for the teams that perennially sit near the bottom of the league. Create the sizzle without showing anyone that it's actually Spam being cooked.

I hope you are correct but I some of the things they have done, notably being incredibly impatient and changing things quickly, remind me of those two.

I do think "selling" the team to the fans will weigh heavily on things. Wouldn't surprise me to see Manziel picked at 4 and close by Carlos Hyde picked with their other first rounder. I may be a Manziel sucker but I could see worse things than an offense led by him, having Hyde in the backfield and Cameron and Gordon as targets to throw to.