PDA

View Full Version : TV Series 'Horseplayers' Debuts (Now Wed 9 PM ET)

Pages : [1] 2 3

BombsAway Bob
01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Tonight~Jan.21st~ 10PM/et,
www.twitter.com/ESQtv
~ XFinity TV. Ch.211/787HD (MA)
Debut of New TV Series
#HorsePlayers

http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71003-horseplayers-betting-on-the-cigar-mile …

horses4courses
01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I see there is a repeat on Saturday at 7pm.
Have to be up very early tomorrow.

098poi
01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I was waiting for this and forgot all about it. A nice way to spend a snowy evening.

cutchemist42
01-21-2014, 09:12 PM
No where to watch this in Canada for me, will likely have to watch this online hiding behind an American IP (I'm guessing they will put past episodes up)

CincyHorseplayer
01-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Hope these people aren't from the Charles Bukowski school of handicapping.

horses4courses
01-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Here's a handy link to find Esquire network:

http://tv.esquire.com/channelfinder

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Ch 235 Directv.

dirty moose
01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Anyone have a feed for it?

CincyHorseplayer
01-21-2014, 10:15 PM
We've got broken English and a guy with his b**ch at the track.I already hate it!! :D

Grits
01-21-2014, 10:25 PM
That dude's a flake. He didn't give Zagora a bit energy, kisses or whatever. Chad and her natural talent got her to wire first.

Wow, this stuff is rich!!!!

uncbossfan
01-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow. Trying to get into it, but this guy who just bet zagora is a total nut job. This guy is so odd it's impossible to believe.

098poi
01-21-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm enjoying it.

Grits
01-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Wow. Trying to get into it, but this guy who just bet zagora is a total nut job. This guy is so odd it's impossible to believe.

The guys at Big A are a lot more real than this moonbeam at Santa Anita!! He's hilarious. Using herbs, the whole bit.

098poi
01-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Uh-Oh it gets better. He's 63 and his wife is 22.:eek:

Grits
01-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Unlimited Budget, its really is good to see horses we know....

duncan04

That is Christian Hellmers for you. Odd person for sure

Stillriledup
Not in HD? I didnt realize this show was in standard Def. yikes.

ArlJim78
01-21-2014, 10:34 PM
its HI DEF on my TV

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 10:35 PM
its HI DEF on my TV

Hmmm, i dont get it in high def for some reason.

Thebigguy
01-21-2014, 10:35 PM
its HI DEF on my TV

Same here. Not sure how some people dont have HD.

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Same here. Not sure how some people dont have HD.

I have HD, but this program isnt filmed in HD, at least not on my tv.

Grits
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Don't take up this entire thread with your damn complaining. Go elsewhere SRU if you don't like it!

uncbossfan
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
its HI DEF on my TV

Same here.

It is nice they are focusing on some bigger races. I just wish they used more real race calls than some of these fake ones they used for breeders cup.

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Don't take up this entire thread with your damn complaining. Go elsewhere SRU if you don't like it!

I'd rather have it in HD, maybe its too hard to get a show in HD in 2014.

I like it and i'm going to watch it, but HD is easier on my eyes. ;)

duncan04
01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Same here.

It is nice they are focusing on some bigger races. I just wish they used more real race calls than some of these fake ones they used for breeders cup.

I wonder if the Breeders Cup wouldn't give permission to use the real race calls?

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Gotta love Conte's quote "people have lost Homes by a nose"

Grits
01-21-2014, 11:05 PM
It was fun. I'll tune in next week just to watch the SoCal "moonbeam" sniffing eucalyptus oil, again. And rubbing lotions on his hands. I'm serious. :lol:

He ran second in the tourney, again. Seconditis. Bless him.

It hurt to see Ramon. It hurt a lot.

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 11:09 PM
It was fun. I'll tune in next week just to watch the SoCal "moonbeam" sniffing eucalyptus oil, again. And rubbing lotions on his hands. I'm serious. :lol:

He ran second in the tourney, again. Seconditis. Bless him.

It hurt to see Ramon. It hurt a lot.

I've been doing it all wrong, i need to get some Eucalyptus oil and snort it! :D

CincyHorseplayer
01-21-2014, 11:10 PM
I think I could have gotten them both in the contest that day.I had George Vancouver at 9-1,Fort Larned at 9-1,Trinniberg at 13-1 with a cold exacta over the Lumber Guy at $200.

Was a decent show.I'll tune in next week.

sammy the sage
01-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Let's see...learned all of TWO things useful...

Kidney sweat ='s bad....maybe. :confused: ...horse still ran 2nd and he hit exacta as well...

Mail order brides only wanna get outta the situation they're in....oh...and you'd better have money...but age don't matter... :faint:

well maybe 3...gonna try some Euco OIL since I'm into healthy herbs... :D

Grits
01-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I've been doing it all wrong, i need to get some Eucalyptus oil and snort it! :D

Maybe everyone will take notes. :lol: Could fool me, that's for sure. As more players come in, it'll be more fun, more interesting. Some of its hilarious. Conte's the coolest one, so far.

098poi
01-21-2014, 11:14 PM
It could have been terrible with a lot of back story about each one's life and their dreams and losses and blah, blah. I like that they show they are characters, they make a bet and then we watch the race. I like that joke I think John Conte said to the waitress when he was getting breakfast. Ive got a sure thing, lunch 12 to 1. (Something like that)

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Maybe everyone will take notes. :lol: Could fool me, that's for sure. As more players come in, it'll be more fun, more interesting. Some of its hilarious. Conte's the coolest one, so far.

Hellmers making the game look easy and not even getting excited with big bets on the line and his horses in tight finishes. I'm going to pretend i'm hellmers when i bet, i'll do some seance thing before the races, ask the spirits if i my pick has 'positive energy' and under no circumstances will i appear happy if i win. :D

magwell
01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
The show will be on again tonight at 1am eastern time, on Comcast channel 461 hd. I missed it at 10 pm .......

maclr11
01-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Hard to feel sorry for those who cant watch in HD when whole countries cant watch it in any def.

Grits
01-21-2014, 11:57 PM
I looked to see, and yes, they have a FB page. It may tell a bit more about the show. I've not looked at the page yet, only linked it here.

https://www.facebook.com/HorsePlayersESQ

cordep17
01-21-2014, 11:59 PM
I missed it tonight, but I've got it recording when it comes on early in the morning. Since Fairmount's last race day, I haven't bet a horse. I've got to start getting back into the grove of things. Being away for so long, I've got a level of confidence going in that I haven't had in some time. Undoubtedly though, that won't last long...I just convinced myself this game is easy.

I'm curious to see if they delve into their opinions of the race, or if it is more about the competition and smack talk. Hopefully, for the sake of the sport, it is something refreshing.

Hard to feel sorry for those who cant watch in HD when whole countries cant watch it in any def.

That's why they call them "first world problems." One can sympathize with the frustration, but isn't intended to actually feel sorry.

stringmail
01-22-2014, 01:53 AM
The show was a little blah to me and psuedo-Trevor calls were annoying.

I enjoyed Hellmers more than the Aqueduct players. He appears to at least have some general awareness. He knows he is a loon.

Actor
01-22-2014, 05:52 AM
The show does not have a narrator. Anyone not familiar with handicapping will not understand what's going on. It's a show about handicapping for handicappers. I had predicted the show would be a hit and increase handle at the track, but I take that back. Aimed at such a narrow audience I don't think it will last.

NY BRED
01-22-2014, 06:39 AM
As I expected ,John Conte adds spice to this Show.
John had a special handicapping section in the NY Post titled The Grass in Greener,zeroing in on turf races.

I Had the pleasure of meeting him at Belmont last year,
and, "he is what he is" on this show.

I agree with the west coast statements made earlier, then
again anything is possible in Ca.

pandy
01-22-2014, 07:57 AM
I haven't seen it but it should be on 210 RCN.

cj
01-22-2014, 08:33 AM

Canada will get it eventually! :)

Horseplayersbet.com
01-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Here is a three minute clip
http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71012-horseplayers-first-race-of-the-day

magwell
01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Well, it was sure better than "LUCK" ...........;)

ManU918
01-22-2014, 09:08 AM
This show was absolutely horrible. From the structure to the personalities it just didn't make any sense.

- Whoever was going to be involved with this show (bettors/teams of bettors) should have all been in the same location during the recording of a race day, given the same bankroll to start with, do the same as the season goes on and calculate the bankrolls at the end. Not blaming the bettors/teams but I think the writers/producers could have come up with a better concept.

- It seems like they are going to be introducing new personalities as the season goes on which makes even less sense to me. As horseplayers we all know everyday isn't a winning day. It would of been good to stick with the same group of people every episode to show the ups and downs but it also gives everyone a chance to see that some people actually do turn a nice profit over an extended period of time.

- I don't understand why they would follow Christian Hellmers at the Breeders Cup Challenge and two groups of people on Cigar Mile day. It's not like they are on the same day and the strategy of betting is completely different. Pick one or the other. Should have made it either a contest based show or a cash based show. Just like poker...Tournaments and cash could not be more different.

- The on screen personalities that were picked are horrible. Hellmers is a wack job that no one can relate to. When he made the comment at the end of the show..."To be able to earn over $150K on my brain alone...that's pretty awesome", made me sick. Yea buddy your brain alone helped you come in second in a contest... This isn't chess. I'm pretty sure the trainers, jockeys and most importantly horses had something to do with it as well.

- Conte's interaction with the waitresses was extremely awkward. I don't want to see a shorter/fatter version of Gene Simmons hit on girls at a restaurant. Hes on this show for a reason... That certainly isn't one of them.

- The diner scene with the Rotondo's was horrible. In one scene they are telling the world how they can win 100K on the Pk6 and then the next they are trying to stay alive with Unlimited Budget who was even money in the Demoiselle followed up by them getting knocked out of the pick 6 because they singled another even money favorite who lost in the Cigar Mile (Groupie Doll). That is some recipe for a 100K score. Then Rotondo Sr is screaming I think he got it... I think he got it... Did he not realize Groupie Doll was a female?

Very disappointing.

Robert Goren
01-22-2014, 09:12 AM
I hope this show finds it way to Netflix or Hulu soon. It will cost me over $40 a month to get the tier that Esquire TV is on. I far I as I can tell Handicappers is the only show on the tier I'd watch. TimeWarner sucks. Dish isn't an option because I live in an apt.

Tall One
01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Agreed with the inconsistancies..like the start of the Cigar Mile...on the front stretch. Must've missed that it's the Cigar Mile...and an eigth now :rolleyes:

That fast and clipped editing style was enough to give somebody the epilepsy, and that cook out there on the left coast...:D

With that said...yeah, I'll tune in next week.

Grits
01-22-2014, 09:39 AM
This is in real time, guys...

On the Horseplayer page, someone has commented, "he needs to lose the sweatband. It looks stupid."

Hellmers comes back with: "That's how I roll. Love me or leave me."

Not only is his reply lame, but the head band only works if you're Keith Richards. Like for decades!!! :lol:

This'll be fun. If I didn't have the channel, I'd pay, just to listen and watch this guy. Man, what an ego driven hoot.

Maybe he'll win the NHC, if he's in Vegas this weekend. Or, maybe he'll come in second. Again.

Valuist
01-22-2014, 09:44 AM
It wasn't bad, but it was odd how they shifted back and forth. First off, this was 2012. You'd see a scene at Aqueduct on Cigar Mile day, which I believe is T-Giving weekend, then they would shift back to the Santa Anita Breeders Cup day, then back to Aqueduct, as if they were occurring at the same time.

You also didn't see them doing any work, watching any replays or going thru charts. At least they showed the betting syndicate getting beat in a tough photo in the Cigar Mile. They need to show the tough defeats, and not just some airhead crushing big bets on Little Mike and Zagora in the BC.

The race calls were odd. There was a BC race or two where the race caller isn't Collmus or Denman.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Sounds like time spent with watching serious players at the track. No need for the same day or the same race. No need to make it a contest between bettors and force them into a specific strategy. A glimpse of some of the Life At The Track. Seems like a good thing to me. I don't have any TV right now, let alone cable. Would watch on the net. Will check TV listings and see if our large apt. building's cable package includes Esquire. It'd be worth a trip up to the exercise room to watch (if it's for free, it's for me!)

Grits
01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh, and so much for Hellmers "awesome brain". The one he feels sets him apart.

McGoey, who beat him in the contest, bet Zagora, Little Mike, and Fort Larned. The exact same three horses he bet. :lol: I can't wait for more of this guy.

CincyHorseplayer
01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
One thing this show made me think is I want more out of my total game.After playing for years in Cincinnati where the players are nearly invisible and feeling satisfied playing once or twice a week and making a few thousand in many years,it's not enough.My daily game needs to go up and what I do with it overall needs to follow suit also.

ManU918
01-22-2014, 10:02 AM
This show was absolutely horrible. From the structure to the personalities it just didn't make any sense.

- Whoever was going to be involved with this show (bettors/teams of bettors) should have all been in the same location during the recording of a race day, given the same bankroll to start with, do the same as the season goes on and calculate the bankrolls at the end. Not blaming the bettors/teams but I think the writers/producers could have come up with a better concept.

- It seems like they are going to be introducing new personalities as the season goes on which makes even less sense to me. As horseplayers we all know everyday isn't a winning day. It would of been good to stick with the same group of people every episode to show the ups and downs but it also gives everyone a chance to see that some people actually do turn a nice profit over an extended period of time.

- I don't understand why they would follow Christian Hellmers at the Breeders Cup Challenge and two groups of people on Cigar Mile day. It's not like they are on the same day and the strategy of betting is completely different. Pick one or the other. Should have made it either a contest based show or a cash based show. Just like poker...Tournaments and cash could not be more different.

- The on screen personalities that were picked are horrible. Hellmers is a wack job that no one can relate to. When he made the comment at the end of the show..."To be able to earn over $150K on my brain alone...that's pretty awesome", made me sick. Yea buddy your brain alone helped you come in second in a contest... This isn't chess. I'm pretty sure the trainers, jockeys and most importantly horses had something to do with it as well.

- Conte's interaction with the waitresses was extremely awkward. I don't want to see a shorter/fatter version of Gene Simmons hit on girls at a restaurant. Hes on this show for a reason... That certainly isn't one of them.

- The diner scene with the Rotondo's was horrible. In one scene they are telling the world how they can win 100K on the Pk6 and then the next they are trying to stay alive with Unlimited Budget who was even money in the Demoiselle followed up by them getting knocked out of the pick 6 because they singled another even money favorite who lost in the Cigar Mile (Groupie Doll). That is some recipe for a 100K score. Then Rotondo Sr is screaming I think he got it... I think he got it... Did he not realize Groupie Doll was a female?

Very disappointing.

On top of the above...

-the fact that these races took place 14 months ago is a turnoff as well. Why not film during 2013? It certainly wouldn't have taken 2 months to edit and be ready to air last night.

-Conte doing 3 horse exacta boxes... Is he serious? Exacta boxes with 2 horses are one of the worst bets in all of racing and he is doing 3 horse exact boxes... smh

Valuist
01-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't know why when TV or movies "do" gambling, they are filled with mistakes.

Just saw "21" for the first time recently, and it was loaded with mistakes.

the little guy
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
They need to show the tough defeats, and not just some airhead crushing big bets on Little Mike and Zagora in the BC.

Hellmers may be a little odd, but he's no airhead. He's sharp.

Grits
01-22-2014, 11:04 AM

Nothing wrong with odd. Helps ratings. Hope to see you in a headband soon. :)

Tom
01-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I gotta get me a sweatband.
That might the missing piece to the puzzle.

HUSKER55
01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
do they make them in your size ;) :D :D

JustRalph
01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
http://christianhellmers.com/

36 year old entrepreneur, Director of Biz Dev, horseplayer, quantum nutritionist, vegan, peaceful warrior, love analyst ;-)

ldiatone
01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
The show will be on again tonight at 1am eastern time, on Comcast channel 461 hd. I missed it at 10 pm .......
comcast ch 834 HD

SandyLoam
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Not in HD? I didnt realize this show was in standard Def. yikes.

I have a feeling it's only lo-def on DirecTV. Figures. Esquire might be choosing not to pay for the HD bandwidth. They also picked up the Mecum live auto auctions from Velocity and show those in lo-def. Nothing better than fuzzy chrome on a '69 Camaro.

Light
01-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Too phony, a little boring.

What's phony is when you see Hellmers looking nonchalant watching thousands of dollars to win on 9-1 and 17-1 shots, it's obviously staged, not real time. The TV shows icons of the placement of horses with super scripted race position above the icons not the race odds. That happens no where in real life. The wanna be Trevor phony announcer emphasizes Hellmers horses before they win during the race. That doesn't happen in real life. All staged.

Conte seems one step away from senility. Also they show him winning decent sized bets on 2 of the 3 bets they show him make but at the end show a graphic that he is down -$3000. A chunk of reality is cut off.

The New Yorkas seem pretty stereotypical.Only interesting thing is a 63 year old is married to a 22 year old.

Two stars out of 5 for me. next week looks just as bad with commercials of a cowboy handicapper. Luck was way better.

wisconsin
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
On top of the above...

-the fact that these races took place 14 months ago is a turnoff as well. Why not film during 2013? It certainly wouldn't have taken 2 months to edit and be ready to air last night.

-Conte doing 3 horse exacta boxes... Is he serious? Exacta boxes with 2 horses are one of the worst bets in all of racing and he is doing 3 horse exact boxes... smh

Exacta boxes, yikes, and a win bet on a 6/5 shot, yikes-all of this while alive in a P3! Why bet the 3rd leg at all?

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I have a feeling it's only lo-def on DirecTV. Figures. Esquire might be choosing not to pay for the HD bandwidth. They also picked up the Mecum live auto auctions from Velocity and show those in lo-def. Nothing better than fuzzy chrome on a '69 Camaro.

Thanks, that's what i was seeing. It wasnt HD on Directv.

jk3521
01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Get a kick out of Conte, I don't know how many old timers over the years at OTB's that I've seen reading PP's with a magnifying glass, occupational hazard. Saw one old guy,hey I'm an old guy too,going up to the monitor and watching the race through a magnifying glass. :D

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Here's another factor that you guys might want to think about. The race results were known before they filmed the scenes. In other words, the Groupie Doll vs Stay Thirsty race (was Groupie Doll 20-1? The graphic said she was, i didnt realize she was that high of a price) was known to be an "exciting finish" so they just filmed it after the fact, there's no real proof these guys bet anything, they could have 'made up' the wagers too.

With Hellmers, i have to imagine that he lost some bets, right? He must have made more than 3 bets the entire BC weekend and if they were filming this stuff before the race, he might have actually LOST a bet (i know, perish the thought!)

Maybe this is why Hellmers was not rooting and neither was his "friend" because they were filming them watching the race after they had already known the results. The "cmon little Mike" was after the race was already over, anyway, that's my guess.

To add one more "odd" thing i noticed, when the Aqueduct boys were Sweating out the photo, you could see on the track screen in the lower left corner, that they had already posted the winner.....but they kept a tight shot on the slo mo rerun of Groupie Doll and kept panning back to the horseplayers as if they were still sweating it out, when the result was already posted.

Even though it was only the first episode, this show didnt grab me as a show that anyone except a serious racing fan or hardcore horsebettor would watch....people who don't know racing arent going to stumble onto this show and watch it, especially since its not in HD, no chance a non racing fan is going to watch this stuff in regular def tv and have any idea what the heck is going on and while Hellmers is a bit "odd" he's not a person that anyone is going to particularly root for to win and he's not "Crazy" in an unpredictable sense, in other words, he's not going to flip over a table like the kids on Jersey Shore might do after losing a close photo, that's the "Crazy" that people tune in to see when watching reality TV.

Also, nothing real about the "Fake" Denman calling races, i'm pretty sure we had long threads about the fake announcers during the show Jockeys...didnt Esquire learn that you cant have fake calls.

ManU918
01-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Here's another factor that you guys might want to think about. The race results were known before they filmed the scenes. In other words, the Groupie Doll vs Stay Thirsty race (was Groupie Doll 20-1? The graphic said she was, i didnt realize she was that high of a price) was known to be an "exciting finish" so they just filmed it after the fact, there's no real proof these guys bet anything, they could have 'made up' the wagers too.

Groupie Doll was the even money favorite.

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Groupie Doll was the even money favorite.

Yeah, i kinda thought she wasnt 20-1.

davew
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
On top of the above...

Most shows like this are made by production companies trying to find work for themselves, and farm out a few episodes to try to get some network to bite. I think the must have gotten quite a few NOs before landing at esquire network.

I predict there will not be too many episodes ever shown of this show, and agree with Goren, I do not want to upgrade for 1 show on a network I never heard of before now.

tonypp
01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I was embarrassed to be a handicapper.

classhandicapper
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm going to give it another chance, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. The people seemed more like caricatures of horse players (even though I've know a lot of colorful people at NY's poolrooms and racetracks) than real people. Also, I'd like to see more of the actual thought process, information used, strategy etc..

098poi
01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I guess you can't satisfy everyone. I enjoyed it and will watch next week. Hellmers may seem a little subdued but the guy came in second in that BC contest 2 years in a row! I was King of the Mountain here for 1 week. He's got my respect.

PICSIX
01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
I gotta get me a sweatband.
That might the missing piece to the puzzle.

Copper infused to really ramp up the brain waves :lol: :lol:

BIG49010
01-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Kind of made me sick, we have a great sport, and for some reason they pick these guys?

You look at Bass Fishing competitions on TV, they can make that exciting, and our sport is 1000 times more exciting, and this was what they come up with!

I hate to say it, but Jockey's was better.

cordep17
01-22-2014, 06:06 PM
None of my hopes for this were met.
Referring to one horse as 11-10...
Groupie Doll wasn't 20-1...

duncan04
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm sure Breeders Cup did not allow the race calls to be used. They have to protect their brand :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I hate to say it, but Jockey's was better.

Not sure what other people thought, but I liked Jockeys.

Bullet Plane
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I must have been watching a different show than most of the people who commented here. I enjoyed the show.

There were plenty of shots of the Racing form, some handicapping insights.

I kind of forgot who they bet at times. Wish they would have the horse highlighted that was bet...

Most of the Races, especially the stakes results, any fan would know who won these races in advance... so I was more interested in who the specific horseplayers bet on..

I liked the scene with Conti in the restaurant, lots of good local color...

there used to be a place like that I hung out at.... the owner went into the VA hospital a few years ago and died. The business closed.

that kind of stuff really makes a show like this...

The guy at SA...that was kind of antiseptic. No grit or color...

I'll be watching every episode....

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm sure Breeders Cup did not allow the race calls to be used. They have to protect their brand :rolleyes:

Yeah, heaven forbid that the Breeders Cup help out a tv show that's trying to promote the sport to the masses. :faint:

duncan04
01-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Show was ok but don't think it will attract new fans

Maximillion
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I was looking forward to it.

All I can say is I fell asleep with about 5 or 10 minutes left in the show.I was awakened for work not by my alarm....but by the apparent Miami Vice marathon the station was running :)

Ill give it another chance next week.

JustRalph
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
There were plenty of shots of the Racing form, some handicapping insights.
Who cares about that? Newbies won't? Vets already know it?

I kind of forgot who they bet at times. Wish they would have the horse highlighted that was bet...
The graphics sucked

Most of the Races, especially the stakes results, any fan would know who won these races in advance... so I was more interested in who the specific horseplayers bet on..

I sure as hell couldn't remember who won those races 2 Br. Cups ago

I liked the scene with Conti in the restaurant, lots of good local color...
Let me guess, you live on the east coast north of Virginia?

there used to be a place like that I hung out at.... the owner went into the VA hospital a few years ago and died. The business closed.
See above

that kind of stuff really makes a show like this...
See above

The guy at SA...that was kind of antiseptic. No grit or color...
Obviously a good handicapper.......but half the character of the NY'ers. Why didn't the winner Gooey participate

I'll be watching every episode....
It's enough for me to watch......but I am not sure who the target is?

A few more ?'s

Why was this shit almost 15 mths old? Did they have to sell this to a network? or was it underwritten by a network? and sat on the shelf?

New York and California are the two largest TV markets in the country. Makes sense that they went with the guys they did. I expect more of the same in the future.

Not one mention of online play? Anybody watching the show has no idea that 90% of players play from home online.

Highlighting guys who are betting 200-300 a race was a bad choice. No smaller bets makes people think you have to have huge money to play. I guess when all the horses you play are low odds you need hundreds of bucks to be able to show big payouts. Again, I guess it depends on who the target audience is.

I don't think this show will do a damn thing to bring new players to the game. In fact it will turn many many off

just my opine.

Big Sal
01-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Not one mention of online play? Anybody watching the show has no idea that 90% of players play from home online.

I know.

I personally prefer betting on-line from a home, where you have an actual setup.

Huge advantage over betting from the racetrack...unless you're one of those dinosaur's that only bet on a single track or two...or your specialty is centered around paddock body language, and warm-ups.

Not to mention, like you say, the vast majority of betting on thoroughbred races is done on-line.

PhantomOnTour
01-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I know.

I personally prefer betting on-line from a home, where you have an actual setup.

Huge advantage over betting from the racetrack...unless you're one of those dinosaur's that only bet on a single track or two...or your specialty is centered around paddock body language, and warm-ups.

Not to mention, like you say, the vast majority of betting on thoroughbred races is done on-line.
Dinosaur here :D

I love concentrating on one circuit - mine is NY.
It's the best way for any newcomer to tackle this game, imo.

My current cable package doesn't include Esquire and (like Goren) I am not about to buy extra channels just to receive this show.
Besides - I've got horse work to do :D

Redboard
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
It's not very good. I don't like any of the people. The redboarding was brutal. I don't like Aqueduct. But I'll be watching. It's all we have.

kingfin66
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM

The guys results in big contests indicate that he is an incredible handicapper, but the producers of this show made him look like a loon. With that said, he and Conte were an interesting contrast.

Grits
01-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Going in, before the first episode, with the show titled, and billed as, HorsePlayers, I didn't anticipate this being a program that would showcase newbies, or be geared to them.

Its pretty much what I figured it was going to be. Characters, each different, and with a huge ego in tow. It is what it is, and I'll continue to watch until, or if, I get bored. Though, I may not as I laughed a lot last night at the dude from SoCal, however sharp he may be. And that's good--that he's sharp.

I don't really have to pick it apart because I don't care--its simply tv entertainment that involves what most here enjoy. I don't care how they arrive at their choices, etc. Why does anyone here care? Is it going to change your own way of handicapping, most likely not.

One has to be real, sure its going to have tech flaws, etc. Still, how many are going to watch a guy at home with a bank of monitors and his past performances, sitting in his boxers? That's not gonna happen, gentlemen. Its just not. (I'm kinda glad on this part.)

NY BRED
01-22-2014, 09:36 PM
while these characters and flaws in the production may insult
knowledgeable handicappers and fans , the players on this show
do represent, to some degree, players that exist at tracks
and off track betting facilities across the country.
If there is value to this show, it is knowing your competition
when you are betting races or involved in handicapping
contests.

Some of you consider John Conte old school as he made inefficient
exotic bets, and you imply you know this game better than John.

So, who here won the DRF/NTRA contest since its inception?

ManU918
01-22-2014, 09:54 PM
contests.

A guy wins a contest so it means what exactly? A nice sum of money. I'm not taking nothing away from his NHC win. It's a great win. But comparing a contest like the NHC to day to day cash wagers is like comparing Hitler to Ghandi.

FiveWide
01-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Going in, before the first episode, with the show titled, and billed as, HorsePlayers, I didn't anticipate this being a program that would showcase newbies, or be geared to them.

Its pretty much what I figured it was going to be. Characters, each different, and with a huge ego in tow. It is what it is, and I'll continue to watch until, or if, I get bored. Though, I may not as I laughed a lot last night at the dude from SoCal, however sharp he may be. And that's good--that he's sharp.

I don't really have to pick it apart because I don't care--its simply tv entertainment that involves what most here enjoy. I don't care how they arrive at their choices, etc. Why does anyone here care? Is it going to change your own way of handicapping, most likely not.

One has to be real, sure its going to have tech flaws, etc. Still, how many are going to watch a guy at home with a bank of monitors and his past performances, sitting in his boxers? That's not gonna happen, gentlemen. Its just not. (I'm kinda glad on this part.)

I agree Grits! It's TV and that is entertainment. Every reality show is scripted to some degree. In fact all TV is scripted to some degree. I was entertained. I didn't watch it to learn anything and I think IF it's entertaining enough and a newbie is watching they might think "wow, where can I learn more about this sport". Then they can go seek more info elsewhere.

Easiest way to bring new ppl into anything is from entertainment. If the show was dull with non-interesting characters and just showed x's and o's ppl would tune out very quickly. I'll continue to watch.

-Five

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 09:58 PM
contests.

"Knowing the game" doesnt matter, it doesnt matter who bets efficiently, it doesnt matter who knows this game better and it doesnt matter who has won or placed in the NTRA contest, all that matters is how they keep score. Money. The guy with the biggest bankroll is the best. If a guy bets more and wins more than Conte, even if he's never played a contest in his life, he's better. If he bets smaller, wins less and has less money or a smaller bankroll, he's not as good.

FiveWide
01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Some may think that the show isn't teaching anything to horseplayers but believe it or not there are a lot of horse players that do not realize there are contests out there. I used to be one of those. I know most of the ppl here probably do but I'd be willing to be most don't know about them. At least the non-hardcore horseplayers.

The contest aspect of the game might interest some folks more than actual betting. An easy way to play the ponies without risking your own money and still have a chance to win big - slight chance. I'm only referring to the free contests btw.

-Five

FiveWide
01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
"If he bets smaller, wins less and has less money or a smaller bankroll, he's not as good."

This is not always a true statement. Those are not qualities determining whether someone is good or not. A small bettor can be just as good as a big bettor!

-Five

Beachbabe
01-22-2014, 10:43 PM
http://christianhellmers.com/

36 year old entrepreneur, Director of Biz Dev, horseplayer, quantum nutritionist, vegan, peaceful warrior, love analyst ;-)

What is a "quantum nutritionist"? :confused:

BTW, I thought the show was meh.

Tom
01-22-2014, 10:50 PM
I enjoyed it, it was better than a lot of crap on the air.
Conte - Vertex, from the old Racing Weekly? He wrote some weird columns!

I can see I would like Aqueduct and not SA - SA looked like a shopping mall. Aqueduct looked like a race track.

Now, where can I get a purple bow tie to go with my new headband?
And, I still need a 22 year old blond......

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 11:01 PM

I can see I would like Aqueduct and not SA - SA looked like a shopping mall. Aqueduct looked like a race track.

....with a thick accent. :D

And yeah, its all about the purple bowtie. :eek:

JustRalph
01-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Just in case some don't know.

Guess which player is the

Vice President - Media and Entertainment at Breeders' Cup, LTD
Greater New York City Area | Sports
Current: Vice President - Media and Entertainment at Breeders' Cup, LTD Past: Director of Television at NTRA Education: University of Arizona, Seton Hall University

If you don't already know.............

1GCFAN
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Yes, I knew who he was going in. They did mention he was in marketing.

I kind of liked the show. We horseplayers are definitely characters so we will see something on this show we can relate to. I think their intention is to attract horseplayers as the audience, not some newbes.

Now if we can just get Bruno's clocking opinions on the current 3 year olds without being held hostage by his website!

Meerz
01-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Pleasure to see some sharp minds here...

Just a heads up that the first episode is not indicative of how the remaining episodes will look. After episode 3 you will get the gist. I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. I'm used to being misunderstood ;-)

You will see a collection of horseplayers depicted to drum up attention. Most of my scenes in episode 1 were legit. Hope you all keep watching!

C

dav4463
01-23-2014, 01:04 AM
It was better than Friday Night Tykes which came on before Horseplayers and was sickening to watch!

Actor
01-23-2014, 02:45 AM
-the fact that these races took place 14 months ago is a turnoff as well. Why not film during 2013? It certainly wouldn't have taken 2 months to edit and be ready to air last night.I suspect yesterday's show was the pilot and it took them a year to sell the show.

NJ Stinks
01-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Just a heads up that the first episode is not indicative of how the remaining episodes will look. After episode 3 you will get the gist. I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. I'm used to being misunderstood ;-)

You will see a collection of horseplayers depicted to drum up attention. Most of my scenes in episode 1 were legit. Hope you all keep watching!

C

Christian, nice debut! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

dirty moose
01-23-2014, 06:08 AM

All of these items can be found via the internet. :D:D
As for Aqueduct, I enjoy the inner dirt meet. The track is self is a dump. They got slot in there a few years ago, made things a little better. Overall it is a S*hit hole. I think NYRA get its share of decent horses and races, other than the inner dirt meet then card to many mnds and turf races the rest of the year. Just my opinion.

Track Phantom
01-23-2014, 06:36 AM
It's unfortunate that most productions that involve horseracing perpetuate the stereotype that horse players are bottom feeders. It doesn't matter to me that one guy was 2nd in the BC tourney and another guy won the 2007 NHC. They wreaked of lowlife. And that is what 89% of the non-racing public thinks about people that invest much of their time around horse racing.

I'm certainly not trying to say I'm above anyone or anything but wish this kind of show would highlight the "normal" sharp minded players that are out there. In this show, you have one New Yorker who is 80, dyes his hair dark black and thinks the waitresses are into him. Another guy is 60 something, seemed normal and, walla, married to a 22 year old. Whew... Of course you have the So. Cal. douche that is not in touch with reality but for some reason thinks he can preach a better way of life.

Maybe that's what makes this show interesting to watch for some. Personally, I would have liked to see people I could relate to and their approach and strategy.

Monumentally let down.....guess it's just not for me.

MutuelClerk
01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
DVR'd the show and watched last night. I'm glad the Santa Anita guy was runner-up in the handicapping contest. Was not rooting for him at all. The New York guys were more what a racetrack is all about. Found them much more interesting.

Grits
01-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm certainly not trying to say I'm above anyone or anything

Coulda fooled me. And I'm not easily fooled.

They wreaked of lowlife. And that is what 89% of the non-racing public thinks about people that invest much of their time around horse racing.

They're "lowlife"? You're judging. Stooping. Assuming each of these 5 men are lowlife, and you know nothing about either of them, aside from what you've seen on a one hour episode of reality tv.

but wish this kind of show would highlight the "normal sharp minded players" that are out there.

Tell us, why in God's name are you, the normal one in our midst, still here?

I would have liked to see people I could relate to and their approach and strategy.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out this way. Having to do with one fact--these men are (or have been in the past) winners, its why they were chosen for this series. They may not give up their strategy. Did you not get a casting call? Hmmm, maybe not. Either way, to term someone lowlife based on one episode of a reality tv program, unfortunately, you're the one reaching, not the men featured. .... On a side note. What you know about producing a television show wouldn't span the head of a pin.

Grits
01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Hellmers here

C

Mr.Hellmers, thank you for checking in. Lurkers are always welcome at PA. And no, I'm not going to change my mind on the headband, simply, because you showed up and posted a note. Many of the sharp minds here like the show's first episode, and plan to tune in again next Tuesday. Good luck going forward.

Valuist
01-23-2014, 09:05 AM

Probably worded that wrong. He obviously understands value. No small feat coming in 2nd in that tourney two years in a row.

Grits
01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
For those interested, those who may have missed the first episode. HorsePlayers will air again on Saturday at 7pm and on Sunday at 10 am according to the Esquire schedule. ... May have missed other times.

The link:

http://tv.esquire.com/schedule

Oracle
01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I enjoyed the show. For Hellmers to finish second in the BC Challenge two years in a row to the same guy, they both have my utmost respect as tournament/contest players.

I thought it was instructive how sharp Hellmers handicapping was and yet he didn't win.

Arapola
01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I enjoyed the part where the race they were betting was a turf race and down the stretch the horses were running on the main track.

:D:lol:
:lol:

I thought that this was supposed to be shot recently. The scenes were from 2012. I Miss Dominguez for sure.

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Hard to feel sorry for those who cant watch in HD when whole countries cant watch it in any def.Holy shite...seriously? Are we supposed to get into a global politics/poverty debate now in this thread?

Come on people...stick to the subject.

Oh, and for the record, I don't get Esquire channel unless I pony up more $$ to the cable company, and for this show and this channel, that ain't happening.

Does Esquire replay shows on their website? Probably not...maybe I can find it using one of my more alternative methods, but given the obscurity of the channel and the subject matter (and I say this with sadness), it might be difficult to find.

PICSIX
01-23-2014, 11:35 AM
A guy wins a contest so it means what exactly? A nice sum of money. I'm not taking nothing away from his NHC win. It's a great win. But comparing a contest like the NHC to day to day cash wagers is like comparing Hitler to Ghandi.

Poker is the same way. The big poker tournaments are what turned the younger generation onto it.

IMO, racing needs to introduce more big pay tournaments, with jackpot type wins to the forefront, that will draw the young and new blood into the game.

maclr11
01-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Holy shite...seriously? Are we supposed to get into a global politics/poverty debate now in this thread?

Come on people...stick to the subject.

Oh, and for the record, I don't get Esquire channel unless I pony up more $$ to the cable company, and for this show and this channel, that ain't happening.

Does Esquire replay shows on their website? Probably not...maybe I can find it using one of my more alternative methods, but given the obscurity of the channel and the subject matter (and I say this with sadness), it might be difficult to find.

Wasn't really wanting to get into Global politics. Just saying we can't watch north of the border.....Kinda sucks

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Wasn't really wanting to get into Global politics. Just saying we can't watch north of the border.....Kinda sucksSorry...guess I misinterpreted and bought those off-topic knee-jerk reactions with me...my apologies again...I will take a deep breath now and shut up... :lol:

Dave Schwartz
01-23-2014, 12:34 PM
I think that our expectations for this show might have been too high for the very first episode.

I mean, we fell in love with Luck from the get-go because it was a (relatively) high-budget show with some real stars and it was a drama.

These guys (the producers) are going to have to feel their way through this. We are a tough audience to begin with because we know exactly what it is like to be "in the trenches."

In fact, that might be the best analogy: making a war movie.

You've got to get the right guys on the sidelines coaching you in order to get the right "feel" of show.

I would vote to give these guys a chance. Sure, there will be gaffs. More than usual because it is low-budget. If we give them a chance, including some real constructive feedback, perhaps they will wind up with a show that is truly tailored to us.

If they do, considering our demographics (i.e. older males, highly opinionated, difficult to fool, not a picnic to market to, etc.), they will be the only ones that care.

tonypp
01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
that was sad,that coach should be kicked out of the league.It was better than Friday Night Tykes which came on before Horseplayers and was sickening to watch!

hkarsen
01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
how could the show have Groupie Doll as a 20:1 shot when she was even money????

ill watch it, but after all this time, was it really an editing error?

or was it an intentional lie to make it more exciting?

Stillriledup
01-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Makes you wonder.

cordep17
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Saw that too.

Also, the guys at aquaduct were getting all excited like for the photo while everyone else knew the result. In the bottom corner it said Official w/ stay thirsty on top.

SansuiSC
01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Sadly it didn't even show up on torrents for those that can't get it on TV. Believe it or not they calculate torrent downloads into ratings even though it's not ethical.

098poi
01-23-2014, 05:23 PM
First episode on Esquire

http://tv.esquire.com/now/show/Horseplayers/125150275777/1/Mystic%20Method

Grits
01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
There ya go, P.A. ;)

Racetrack Playa
01-23-2014, 05:35 PM
a bit off subject but I remember watching the show JOCKEYS,and in the opening credits there is a shot of one of the gate starters "biting " the ear of a horse as the gate opens . I'm going to take another look ,Its been a few years, but i can't seem to find scene.

SansuiSC
01-23-2014, 07:33 PM
It's on Netflix now if you have it.

Stillriledup
01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
It's on Netflix now if you have it.

Maybe its in HD on the Flix? Im going to hope.

Robert Fischer
01-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Sadly it didn't even show up on torrents for those that can't get it on TV. Believe it or not they calculate torrent downloads into ratings even though it's not ethical.

It can be found on pirate bay(several options, I would guess the 350mb or 1gb options would be the best quality), although officially I condemn downloading such material except on a trial basis.

Racetrack Playa
01-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Just watched the show .All the players are great,and more to come too..I think after a few episodes everyone will like it. 2012 Breeders Cup awesome Day,
:1: If only they had used (The National Racing Report) nyra theme music ,a seriously funky tune:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:don't ever change it :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

You can explain it to your friends,they will understand the races better, I'll check it out again . Inspirational maybe. The show might bring more people out, Has any one played in these contests? :) I'm More than Ready, see you at the track.

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2014, 11:29 PM
It can be found on pirate bay(several options, I would guess the 350mb or 1gb options would be the best quality), although officially I condemn downloading such material except on a trial basis.It's all over Usenet too...HD no less...

appistappis
01-24-2014, 01:03 AM
I just watched it on their website....I really liked luck but this is real so I'll give it a few more episodes. We really are a game where editing and changing things after the fact doesn't fly but I guess they don't want to broadcast live from somebodies O.T.B. to see if there is any entertaining going on.

I make money betting 1 out of 10 or 12 races I look at and these guys appear to bet everything,

LottaKash
01-24-2014, 01:32 AM
I watched the rerun on Esquier's site in HD....My Esquire/Direct TV only had it in SD.....So, I enjoyed the 2d go round all the more....

I enjoyed the big guns doing their thing....Many, too many, years ago I used to be in with those types....I miss that aspect of the game....My horse world is so much different today...

Still, I look forward to the next episodes, it takes me back to the fast-lane times in my life... :cool:

madera12227
01-24-2014, 02:55 AM
The show was entertaining. However, it is very nice to have an unlimited gambling budget. Thats what appear to me. Wealthy people gambling and trying to make money.

NY BRED
01-24-2014, 04:33 AM
[who has won or placed in the NTRA contest, all that matters is how they keep scoreQUOTE=Stillriledup]"Knowing the game" doesnt matter, it doesnt matter who bets efficiently, it doesnt matter who knows this game better and it doesnt matter . Money. The guy with the biggest bankroll is the best. If a guy bets more and wins more than Conte, even if he's never played a contest in his life, he's better. If he bets smaller, wins less and has less money or a smaller bankroll, he's not as good.[/QUOTE]

NY BRED
01-24-2014, 05:08 AM
[who has won or placed in the NTRA contest, all that matters is how they keep scoreQUOTE=Stillriledup]". If a guy bets more and wins more than Conte, even if he's never played a contest in his life, he's better.

Big bettors don't qualify via their bankroll for the NTRA/DRF contest:the odds and betting are generally capped in the preliminary contests,
as are the number of entries per person.
In short, high rollers must prove their abilities in the same manner
as the general public. Winning an entry to that contest requires
skill, and the win of 500,000 is ultimately an impressive "hit"
for any handicapper considering the competition and winning
a race free of bad trips, photo finishes etc.

While I will grant the a small percentage of the betting public are
whales that can bet incredible sums of money based on various
"skills" or advice, this show centers on the diverse
personalities of real horseplayers with extreme differences
in their methods of handicapping.

sammy the sage
01-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Poker is the same way. The big poker tournaments are what turned the younger generation onto it.

IMO, racing needs to introduce more big pay tournaments, with jackpot type wins to the forefront, that will draw the young and new blood into the game.

Yep...but Poker showed HOW they played...and some WHY...this show did VERY little of that...so far...

Hellmers...hope you're still lurking... ;)

Robert Goren
01-24-2014, 08:37 AM
I watched it yesterday. It was better than I expected. Perhaps in a few episodes they will get into how they pick horse, but right now it is all about introducing the players and their quirks. I think the head band is nice touch, sorta like Sam Farha's unlit cigarette.

Leparoux
01-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Easiest bet of the year: most people on here weren't going to like it :D

I thought it was good not great. The Groupie Doll 20-1 thing was goofy but overall I enjoyed it. I immediately went and bought a case of coconut water after the show.

Dan Montilion
01-24-2014, 11:27 AM
I watched it yesterday. It was better than I expected. Perhaps in a few episodes they will get into how they pick horse, but right now it is all about introducing the players and their quirks. I think the head band is nice touch, sorta like Sam Farha's unlit cigarette.

Sam Farha? I'm sure I am the only one that does not know. However, who is Sam Farha? Oh yea, put me in the I like the show side.

jk3521
01-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Show is okay, thought that I'd like Conte, I don't.I've seen too many of those guys at the track.I like the Rotundo group best. Knowing DeJulio didn't help them cash in the last race, though. Conte spread his bets a lot and still didn't win , some pro! Can't believe Hellmers bets so few and hits so big. Let's see what happens when other characters are introduced.Of course I'll watch them all, like the show or not.

JimG
01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I would watch any show about horse racing and for a first show it was not that bad. Looking forward to future episodes as long as they are available online.

Jim

SansuiSC
01-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Conte is playing in todays contest in Vegas.

mountainman
01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I remember that when some woman led some big contest going into the last race a few years back, the dudes sitting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all leapfrogged her by nailing the longshot winner. As it just so happened, that winner was the only price on the board long enough to overtake her.

After the smoke cleared, each of them maintained to have liked the horse (a lot). No stabbing there, nosiree. I haven't so much as glanced at the results of any contest since.

Stillriledup
01-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I remember that when some woman led some big contest going into the last race a few years back, the dudes sitting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all leapfrogged her by nailing the longshot winner. As it just so happened, that winner was the only price on the board long enough to overtake her.

After the smoke cleared, each of them maintained to have liked the horse (a lot). No stabbing there, nosiree. I haven't so much as glanced at the results of any contest since.

Its a stabfest with a very small sample, handicapping gets thrown out the window when the contest is set up for a player to essentially have to bet on horses he or she doesnt like and would never play in real life.

ArlJim78
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Sam Farha? I'm sure I am the only one that does not know. However, who is Sam Farha? Oh yea, put me in the I like the show side.
poker player, I remember seeing him about 8 years ago on TV in some of the big poker events.

The horseplayers show, yeah I'll watch it. I found much of the first episode to be hilarious, parts that I don't think were intended to be hilarious.

the little guy
01-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Sammy Farha is one of the best poker players in the world and is likely best known for finishing second to Chris Moneymaker in the World Series of Poker.

Moneymaker beat three of the best players in the world when the final four was him, Farha, Jason Lester, and Dan Harrington. It still amazes me. Jason got all his chips in with an Ace-Queen against Moneymaker's Queen-Jack....and the flop came 8-9-10.

sammy the sage
01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Its a stabfest with a very small sample, handicapping gets thrown out the window when the contest is set up for a player to essentially have to bet on horses he or she doesnt like and would never play in real life.

You wish... :lol: :D ...

Current Big contest this week-end...look who's in 6th...Hellmers...

https://twitter.com/loomsboldly/status/426841391201677312/photo/1

You don't keep getting on leaderboards CONSISTANTLY by stabbing...

j/geez :faint:

moneyandland
01-24-2014, 06:41 PM
This is a good barometer of how much editing is done in "reality tv",
they're showing horses that aren't the horses they say they are,

listing odds wrong, 20-1 Groupie Doll who was 1-1, 2-1 on Unlimited Budget who was 1-1, 7/4 on stay thirsty who was 5/2,

they're rooting about filly and mare turf when a dirt race is finishing in the screen, I think it was actually Groupie Doll in the F&M Sprint

only 1 episode so maybe all that changes as production moves on

There's a better chance that Groupie Doll was 20-1 in the Cigar Mile than that guy's wife being 22 or she had a hard life I'd handicap her age at 30 minimum

CincyHorseplayer
01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
I wonder how players would react seeing me in nothing but swim trunks,flip flops,and my man purse(binocular case with wallet etc) about mid July!!HAHA! :D

Racey
01-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Saw a guy at the track with a giant magnifying glass and it was not Conte ....hope this does not start at trend

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Saw a guy at the track with a giant magnifying glass and it was not Conte ....hope this does not start at trend

That was Sherlock Holmes

Watson picks up all the signers........he's cheaper than a ten percenter

Knowclew
01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
The show was just really hard to stomach for me. Perhaps to a casual fan (or less) it could be more entertaining.

I found myself like most, trying to notice the glaring, sometimes silly, errors that may go unnoticed by casual or future racing fans.

Read through much of the thread...20-1 on Groupie Doll was hard to handle, glad many confirmed what I thought. Not sure anyone mentioned this...
the Cigar Mile started in front of the stands. Isn't that a one turn mile on the main dirt at Aqueduct?

Countless others make it hard to enjoy....but I will watch, as many of you said as well. Its all we got. Not exactly the must see TV I was hoping for.

FiveWide
01-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I found myself like most, trying to notice the glaring, sometimes silly, errors that may go unnoticed by casual or future racing fans.

Read through much of the thread...20-1 on Groupie Doll was hard to handle, glad many confirmed what I thought. Not sure anyone mentioned this...
the Cigar Mile started in front of the stands. Isn't that a one turn mile on the main dirt at Aqueduct?

Countless others make it hard to enjoy....but I will watch, as many of you said as well. Its all we got. Not exactly the must see TV I was hoping for.

Just want to point out mistakes are made in almost every show, movie etc. Just go to http://www.moviemistakes.com/ to see just how many mistakes are made in movies. Mistakes just like the ones you're referring to. It's purely entertainment to for me.

-Five

Robert Goren
01-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Sam Farha? I'm sure I am the only one that does not know. However, who is Sam Farha? Oh yea, put me in the I like the show side.Sam Farha is poker player. His unlit cigarette got a mention on several other TV shows including CSI.

citygoat
01-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I thought the show was the best one about horseplayers on television.Make sure you all bad mouth just like you do the youngbloods that show up at the track only to be ridiculed by the skin covered skeletons .

If you cant afford the cable channel you really cant afford to bet the horses more than once a month.

Grits
01-26-2014, 11:49 AM
http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/10332421/horseplayers-got-right

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
I thought the show was the best one about horseplayers on television.Make sure you all bad mouth just like you do the youngbloods that show up at the track only to be ridiculed by the skin covered skeletons .

If you cant afford the cable channel you really cant afford to bet the horses more than once a month.It's the only one about horseplayers on television, therefore, it can only be the best...which ain't saying much... :lol:

tonypp
01-26-2014, 11:37 PM
this is a rerun

duncan04
01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
this is a rerun

What did you expect. It's on once a week

tonypp
01-26-2014, 11:53 PM
what day is a new episodeWhat did you expect. It's on once a week

duncan04
01-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Tuesdays at 10pm Eastern

Shelby
01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
I finally had time to watch on my DVR.

What were Groupie Doll's real odds? Less than 2-1 right?

That Christian Hellmuth is a piece of work. The headband cracks me up. I kept thinking that he looked like someone I know, but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. He looks like Richie from the movie The Royal Tenenbaums.
http://www.leavemethewhite.com/caps/displayimage.php?pid=43295

SandyW
01-28-2014, 11:46 AM

That Christian Hellmuth is a piece of work. The headband cracks me up. I kept thinking that he looked like someone I know, but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. He looks like Richie from the movie The Royal Tenenbaums.

Christian Hellmers is one hell of a handicapper, anybody that can finish 2nd two years is a row at the BC Tournament and pick up over $300,000 in prize money is enough proof for me.

JustRalph
01-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Give him some fashion advice, he posted in this thread.........

Shelby
01-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Give him some fashion advice, he posted in this thread.........

I'm sure he needs my advice like he needs a hole in his head. :D

jk3521
01-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Had, I think, a 50 thou lead after the first race and still got caught. what happened between the turf and classic races? :confused:

Stillriledup
01-28-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm sure he needs my advice like he needs a hole in his head. :D

If he had a hole in his head, he would just cover it up with a head band anyway, right? :D

sammy the sage
01-28-2014, 08:57 PM
If he had a hole in his head, he would just cover it up with a head band anyway, right? :D

Gotta hide THAT stab wound suffered SRU... :lol:

olddaddy
01-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Had, I think, a 50 thou lead after the first race and still got caught. what happened between the turf and classic races? :confused:

And then catch Little Mike at big odds and Fort Learned in classic, something doesnt jive.

cj
01-28-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders%E2%80%99-cup-betting-challenge-leaves-repeat-runner-still-thrilled

jk3521
01-28-2014, 09:50 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders%E2%80%99-cup-betting-challenge-leaves-repeat-runner-still-thrilled
Forgot about Little Mike. Thank you for the re-cap on the contest. I hadn't read about the contest, just went by what was shown on the show.

olddaddy
01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
I thought the cali guy had Fort Larned also. I dont remember what he had on it though.

I think the show should have shown that the girl friend was a player, not just a dolly on the players arm.

098poi
01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Stop looking at the computer, the show's on!

olddaddy
01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Stop looking at the computer, the show's on!

Dvred, Boss is watchin some crap.

Beachbabe
01-28-2014, 11:04 PM
I thought the show was better than last week. Could be one of those shows that improves weekly.

098poi
01-28-2014, 11:14 PM
I enjoyed it. It reminded me that I HIT the Belmont! Winner and exacta in person (at Rockingham Park simulcast) I can't hit a house in the Inner Track contest but it's not over yet.

kingfin66
01-28-2014, 11:23 PM
That "pretty girl" was Michelle Yu, who isn't a bad handicapper herself.

I thought the show was better than last week. Could be one of those shows that improves weekly.

I agree that the show was much better than the first week. It was interesting that Conte seemed to have no idea who Michelle Yu is. Funny actually.

LottaKash
01-28-2014, 11:48 PM
All the same, I enjoyed the show...Altho a bit bland, as a long time horseplayer, I can still readily relate to the comings and goings of this bunch....

Tara73
01-29-2014, 12:42 AM
The young handicapper who had Orb in the future book didn't mention all the others he bet that didn't make the race. The expressions of sadness when Orb was way back early in the Derby were unrealistic. Anyone who bet Orb had to know he was getting a good trip off that fast pace.

Ray
01-29-2014, 01:17 AM
This show is a joke. I just can't get thru a whole episode I don't see anything that entertaining about it. Any non horse players I know that have watched have no interest in anything going on there. I don't think there are Enuff horseplayers interested to supply necessary ratings for it to survive. So far I haven't been able to find any ratings data but I can't see them being anything substantial.

Track Phantom
01-29-2014, 01:33 AM
Personally the show isn't for me but really don't want to bash it if there are some on here that like it. It's about taste.

I will say this. I think a much better and more interesting concept could have been deployed.

I would have considered 8 teams (group or individual) that would be given the same bankroll (i.e. $5k) and they have a contest. In Episode one, the the two lowest bankrolls get eliminated. The next week, same thing....and so on. The team with the highest bankroll wins some big prize.

It would have allowed us to see handicapping and wagering strategies. All I see in these episodes are a lot of people with absurd levels of conviction and missing an iota of humility. I'll leave it at that.

jk3521
01-29-2014, 08:35 AM
The show is called "Horseplayers " not "Horse Handicappers" , Don't expect to see much to do with handicapping. Someone not a horseplayer wouldn't give this show a chance. Only we "degenerates" would sit through every episode. How many episode were filmed?

Valuist
01-29-2014, 09:54 AM

I thought he looked a little like another Christian: Slater.

Light
01-29-2014, 01:12 PM

Better than last week, but turned it off halfway through for lack of interest.

The "Horse players" show needs more substance than things like Conte and his monthly bills. Like I care for a guy who won $1 million in the NHC and bets thousands a day in bets, then has anxiety paying bills. There are a lot of people that would like to have "his problems", of owning a horse and the freedom to play the races every day. Hint: Some of us work for a living, didn't win $1 million dollars, and don't have the luxury of playing the races everyday. ITS A LUXURY to have $1 million dollars to play with at the races, not a problem that is so dramatic they have to cut to a commercial when these NHC millionaires lose a race. :faint:

jk3521
01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
I know , hard to feel bad for these guys when they are disappointed when they don't hit big. I wish I only had to worry about feeding and housing my thoroughbred horse.These guys are the elite bunch, the kind of guys I used to dream of becoming (DAMMIT!!!)

Stillriledup
01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
What i don't get is the amounts listed as their wagers. For example, the Peter guy with the bowtie talks about how he doesnt know much about racing in the beginning scene and yet, he's betting 9k to win on a horse in a 20 horse field in the slop.

9k to win for a person who's not a professional horseplayer, a guy who has a 'job' is risking 9k on the Derby?

the little guy
01-29-2014, 05:41 PM
What i don't get is the amounts listed as their wagers. For example, the Peter guy with the bowtie talks about how he doesnt know much about racing in the beginning scene and yet, he's betting 9k to win on a horse in a 20 horse field in the slop.

9k to win for a person who's not a professional horseplayer, a guy who has a 'job' is risking 9k on the Derby?

This isn't even remotely close to what happened, and frankly, referring to Peter Rotundo as "the Peter guy" is ridiculous, just as is suggesting he ever suggested on the show that he didn't know a lot about racing. He was been a well regarded person in this industry for quite some time.

They said, and they said it clearly, that he won about $9K on Orb through the KY Oaks-Turf Classic-KY Derby Pick-3. They also made it clear he was alive to three horses.

Pete Rotundo Jr. is about the last person worth criticizing involved with that show, along with Michael Beychok.

mountainman
01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
This show is a joke. I just can't get thru a whole episode I don't see anything that entertaining about it. Any non horse players I know that have watched have no interest in anything going on there. I don't think there are Enuff horseplayers interested to supply necessary ratings for it to survive. So far I haven't been able to find any ratings data but I can't see them being anything substantial.

lol...what's up, dude? who smuggled you out of tc??

mountainman
01-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Too much bravado for me. And that just feeds a tired stereotype. I get the editorial slant that's beyond the player's control, but watching dudes preen , posture, and scan the premises with bad-ass gunslinger looks just doesn't engross me.

I will admit I've watched only the first episode, and plan to give the show another chance tonight.

porchy44
01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
I liked the first two shows.Of course I like ricketts (old Steve Martin joke).

I think part of why I like it is it's the only game in town (only reality tv show about horseplayers).

jk3521
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Seems a lot of sour grapes are involved here. I ,for one, am very envious of these guys. When I was in my twenties this was my dream to make a living from something that was fun and rewarding. I'm not ashamed to admit it! I'm just going to sit back and live vicariously through them. :)

Track Phantom
01-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Too much bravado for me. And that just feeds a tired stereotype. I get the editorial slant that's beyond the player's control, but watching dudes preen , posture, and scan the premises with bad-ass gunslinger looks just doesn't engross me.

I will admit I've watched only the first episode, and plan to give the show another chance tonight.

Exactly my sentiments and perfectly articulated. These guys don't seem to be a bad bunch and I'd probably enjoy betting the races with most of them.
But I think they often "try" too hard with the camera in front of them.
I just wish the show went in a different direction. I do think there is a worthy show in this concept but I'm not a producer and don't have skin in the game...who knows.

jk3521
01-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Of course they are "overacting", but don't we all do that at the track when we're trying to impress our girlfriend or buddies. Well, they're trying to be :cool:!

mountainman
01-29-2014, 09:17 PM
These guys don't seem to be a bad bunch and I'd probably enjoy betting the races with most of them.

Agree completely. And my impression is that players spotlighted thus far are probably sharp-extremely sharp-but that's just not the show's focus. Instead ,we get quirks and egomania, no doubt on the (sadly correct) assumption that non-horseplayers would rather watch colorful characters than get a real look at how elite handicappers think and operate.

jk3521
01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
I see a lot of "quirky" and "egocentric" guys at the track!

jk3521
01-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Only handicapping comment I can remember was Christian commenting how he liked Orb because he liked the way the horse had closed to a slow pace in his last race. Other than that mainly "gut" feelings.

ManU918
01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
This was floating around on Twitter so I figured I would post it. They spent a good portion of last nights show focusing on Conte talking about Palice Malice being his top selection in the Belmont... Not according to this...

https://secure.nassauotb.com/content/nassaudowns/documents/74_42_060813.pdf

Meerz
01-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Pardon the mistakes gang. The kinks are close to being worked out.

Btw, I didn't make any mention of Orb closing into a slow pace, that was Matt.

In case everyone hasn't picked up on it yet, the show is not a handicapping show as that would lose everyone. I hope that everyone will still support it. It is about the journey to the NHC and who we are as horseplayers. Everyone on the show knows how to handicap using speed figures, the form, and so on. We all have different styles and some of us keep our cards closer to our chests. Do keep your feedback coming as I appreciate seeing the way everything is received by the game's true horseplayers. It is television. Remember that.

Bless up
Christian
Twitter handle @rawordie

kingfin66
01-29-2014, 11:19 PM
The show also showed him talking to Rudy Rodriguez on the morning of the Belmont. It appeared from that conversation that Rudy influenced his opinion of Palace Malice. He even spoke with the other players about that conversation.

SandyW
01-29-2014, 11:53 PM

In case everyone hasn't picked up on it yet, the show is not a handicapping show as that would lose everyone. I hope that everyone will still support it. It is about the journey to the NHC and who we are as horseplayers. Everyone on the show knows how to handicap using speed figures, the form, and so on. We all have different styles and some of us keep our cards closer to our chests. Do keep your feedback coming as I appreciate seeing the way everything is received by the game's true horseplayers. It is television. Remember that.

Bless up
Christian
Twitter handle @rawordie

Great show, enjoyable, everybody I know is watching and all have positive things to say about a really well done show.

BombsAway Bob
01-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Bless up
Christian
Twitter handle @rawordie
Thanks for being part of the show & this thread about it.
It would be a nice touch to include #Horseplayers Twitter
Usernames in graphics during the show, like virtually every
other show and sporting event that includes them.
IMHO, real-time Interaction is a Big part of Racing's future,
& the immediacy of Twitter is perfect for the sport. Peace.

Tara73
01-30-2014, 12:30 AM
So when does the show get realistic and we meet the first player using the Sheets?

davew
01-30-2014, 03:10 AM
So when does the show get realistic and we meet the first player using the Sheets?

I suspect Christian is using info/experience he picked up while being Developmental Officer at Betfair USA and is more 'value betting' than handicapping - but could be wrong. Maybe he will tell us if he makes his own odds line... Alicia seems to do well too, placing in handicapping contests.

I am going to try blue-green algae juice and coconut water (if only I can find a place that sells it).

sammy the sage
01-30-2014, 06:00 AM
This was floating around on Twitter so I figured I would post it. They spent a good portion of last nights show focusing on Conte talking about Palice Malice being his top selection in the Belmont... Not according to this...

https://secure.nassauotb.com/content/nassaudowns/documents/74_42_060813.pdf

Wouldn't be THE 1st somebody's touted something and GOT LATE info and changed their mind....won't be THE last either...

Has happened to EVERY serious player...

that said...

of course their are Touts who deliberately say one thing and bet another...really don't think that was the case here...

Bullet Plane
01-30-2014, 06:53 AM
The show really starts hitting stride with this episode.

Michelle Yu, among others, are featured as they go down the triple crown trail.

I like the first episode, but liked this one even better...

Again, I knew who won the races in advance. But, this time it was clear who was betting which horse. I thought it made for a more compelling story.

The "new kid in town" shows up in this episode, and is a very interesting character. When he has to call back home to Boston, and tell his investment group that the bet on Orb went down in flames, you can tell it wasn't fun!

I admit that I had some trouble finding this channel...didn't even know I had it...

Glad I found out where to find it here....

jk3521
01-30-2014, 07:00 AM
This is great being able to interact with the "players". How many episodes were filmed?

jahura2
01-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Personally I can do without most of the show so I will try to focus on the positives.
I do enjoy the portions that highlight Hellmers, Peter Rotundo (just him, not his betting partners) and Beychok. Despite their resumes the others are cartoon characters.
While I would never touch a "players pool" like Beychok discussed I can see how this could peak the interest of a casual fan and maybe get them more involved.
I realize this is not a "handicapping" show but I do wish the respectable characters could share some of their insights as we move forward.
I really think the video is very inconsistent as they are constantly showing shots that have nothing to do with the track they are currently playing. I.E a shot of the turf course down the hill at Santa Anita and shots of Keeneland when they were clearly trying to focus on the Kentucky Derby and Churchill.
It truly wouldn't have taken that much effort to edit these scenes correctly.
Add to that the factual inconsistencies like touting Groupie Doll at 20-1 really hurts the shows credibility especially to the viewers who have been around this game for a long time. All that being said I will still watch because its the only show on TV that at least peaks in to our world.

Tall One
01-30-2014, 10:53 AM
The show really starts hitting stride with this episode.

Michelle Yu, among others, are featured as they go down the triple crown trail.

I like the first episode, but liked this one even better...

Again, I knew who won the races in advance. But, this time it was clear who was betting which horse. I thought it made for a more compelling story.

The "new kid in town" shows up in this episode, and is a very interesting character. When he has to call back home to Boston, and tell his investment group that the bet on Orb went down in flames, you can tell it wasn't fun!

I admit that I had some trouble finding this channel...didn't even know I had it...

Glad I found out where to find it here....

Agreed, the first show was ok, but this one took things up a notch. Particularly with the bold face indication above..:D

Charli125
01-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Bless up
Christian
Twitter handle @rawordie

My favorite part is how they make it look like you don't handicap, and prefer to rely on aromatherapy, and "feelings" to make your picks. We all know that's not true, but I can imagine it would be pretty interesting to someone who doesn't handicap.

And sure, I know those things help you get in the right mindset, but there's obviously solid handicapping required to crush the BC two years in a row.

BombsAway Bob
01-30-2014, 01:45 PM
at EsquireTV.com

http://tv.esquire.com/now/show/Horseplayers/129916483570/1/Derby%20Darling

Racey
01-30-2014, 09:07 PM
LOL,,,,Conte is a rude bastard get the feeling that waitstaff in the coffee shop cannot stand him....breaks their balls and probably leaves them a buck. On a brighter note always nice to see Michelle YU who is known to be a fun piece too bad she is only on 1 episode.

dirty moose
01-30-2014, 09:36 PM
LOL,,,,Conte is a rude bastard get the feeling that waitstaff in the coffee shop cannot stand him....breaks their balls and probably leaves them a buck. On a brighter note always nice to see Michelle YU who is known to be a fun piece too bad she is only on 1 episode.

Was thinking the same thing. Condescending. He's just an old timer. But still, they are deff annoyed.

Racey
01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Yea then he tells them Rudy Rodriguez is coming in and he speaks their language...Lol brutal......

ronsmac
01-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Was thinking the same thing. Condescending. He's just an old timer. But still, they are deff annoyed.
I always hate how old people get away with being jerks and being rude. They pull the old "back in my day" or he's just old and doesn't know any better.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2014, 01:22 AM
On a brighter note always nice to see Michelle YU who is known to be a fun piece too bad she is only on 1 episode.Fun piece?

Ray
01-31-2014, 01:23 AM
lol...what's up, dude? who smuggled you out of tc??

What's up Mark (my younger Brother is also named Mark)... I read in TC sometime still but it's always dead in there sometimes nobody post for a few days just got bored with it... jimmyQ reminded me that it's still very lively in here so have made it a part of my internet browsing routine. It's nice to get same day responses to my posts. Hope all is well at the Mountain.

Tara73
01-31-2014, 01:55 AM
I had enough of Conte. No credibility as a horse player or owner. Also, bordering on disgusting interacting with a woman who can out handicap him on most days. May have to sell his horse if the horse does not perform better? After a conversation with a trainer he likes and bets a horse?

thaskalos
01-31-2014, 02:47 AM
"I'm hoping to win at least six figures today"...Hellmers says.

You gotta love these "reality shows". :)

Track Phantom
01-31-2014, 06:37 AM
I always hate how old people get away with being jerks and being rude. They pull the old "back in my day" or he's just old and doesn't know any better.

There's no way Conte is over 35. His hair is midnight black. :)

dirty moose
01-31-2014, 07:39 AM
I had enough of Conte. No credibility as a horse player or owner. Also, bordering on disgusting interacting with a woman who can out handicap him on most days. May have to sell his horse if the horse does not perform better? After a conversation with a trainer he likes and bets a horse?

He doesn't even own that horse outright. There multiple owners.

NY BRED
01-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Bottom line to this virtual reality show is just that; like it or leave it
there are players at this track who love the game and, while their
personalities and prowess may not impress many on this forum,
many novice viewers just might decide to attend the track and learn
the "art" of handicapping

To that end, clones of these characters will ultimately evolve..
:) :bang:

jk3521
01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
He doesn't even own that horse outright. There multiple owners.

Picky!, Picky!, Picky! :D

Redboard
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
I thought the second show was better. My wife, who is a good indication of what the general public likes, was willing to watch the whole thing. When we started the first show, she made me turn it off after ten minutes(I watched the rest of it when she went to bed). She's a vegan who teaches yoga and got a kick out of Hellmers esoteric style: "Oh that should go over big with the old-time degenerate horseplayers!" I think having him is a good contrast to the rest of the characters. My only suggestion for Hellmers is that he spread his win bets on the TC races more evenly. Instead of $5k, $5k and $200, on the Derby, Preakness and Belmont respectively, of which he only hit the last one, try $3k, $3k, $3k.

Racey
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Gabby & Michele YU should be on more often this cast may need some females....going to get dull watching Conte insult the waitstaff.

Meerz
02-04-2014, 12:39 AM
The bet was bigger. I asked them not to share the amount and I don't know how they arrived at that number.

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2014, 12:55 AM
The bet was bigger. I asked them not to share the amount and I don't know how they arrived at that number.

Hey Hellmers,I've been called eccentric plenty and I take it as a compliment!Yours is a different style but I like it bro.I had George Vancouver,Trinniberg,and Fort Larned on BC day and the Lumber guy exacta.I think I would have been in the mix!Hope to bump into you sometime in the near future at a paddock!

Track Phantom
02-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Why?

If a bet can be fabricated down from a higher amount, can't we conclude it could be fabricated up, as well? And doesn't that hurt credibility?

sammy the sage
02-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Why?

If a bet can be fabricated down from a higher amount, can't we conclude it could be fabricated up, as well? And doesn't that hurt credibility?

Thar's a whole LOTTA fabricating GOING on...it's TV & entertainment.... ;)

When's the LAST time you saw a movie follow a book or real life FACTUALLY...seriously...TV's even worse... :faint: :D

Robert Goren
02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Tonight show will tell the story on whether this show has anything going for it. The first two just introduced us to cast. I don't expect much. It is a low budget show on a network few people even exist. Sadly this going to be as good as gets in shows about horse race bettors. If this show doesn't work for the Esquire network, there will never be another anywhere.

Tall One
02-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Gabby & Michele YU should be on more often this cast may need some females....going to get dull watching Conte insult the waitstaff.

Agree 1000%

And..:D

classhandicapper
02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
The one thing that's going to make it or break it for me is having some level of confidence that I am actually watching very good handicappers. Since I don't know any of the characters personally, I can only make those judgments based on what they say about the horses (I'm familiar with many of the horses and remember the races). I guess for those of you that know these guys personally or know all their accomplishments it's different.

It's not necessary to give away special profitable insights or to focus entirely on handicapping to at least get a gist of whether the players have their facts right and understand the issues in that race. Otherwise, I could easily be watching any horse player that can read a DRF and get lucky once in awhile in a tournament or for a meet.

LottaKash
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Imo, it is no worse than most of the other reality shows that are currently running.....

For me at least, it is something that I can readily relate to...:cool:...I believe that I will remain a fan no matter what...:D

Predator35
02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I will dvr all the episodes and watch them but I was really expecting more from this show. Now that they have used most of the big racing days from the breeders cup in 2012 and all the triple crown races from last year now what?

What's up with the spirutual dude? Is he for real. Dont get me wrong I get a kick out of him but cmon.

Agree with an above poster about Michelle Yu being on more but doubt she will.

McCarron
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
For horse racing to get any exposure whatsoever in a mainstream type of production is a positive, regardless of what the individual day-to-day handicapper may like or dislike about it. The show is intended to appeal to a broad audience, and in doing so, follows colorful characters in a general way as not to alienate a wider potential draw. It's a "reality" show with the primary intent to entertain.

As far as handicapping chops are concerned, what Hellmers (and McGooey) accomplished in the BCBC is nothing short of incredibly commendable. Yes, Hellmers comes across as "different", but it's certainly more interesting than watching a guy run models through a computer program and the guy has certifiable handicapping chops.

LottaKash
02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Yes, Hellmers comes across as "different", but it's certainly more interesting than watching a guy run models through a computer program and the guy has certifiable handicapping chops.

I suspect that Hellmers, in reality, isn't any more different than some of us folks right here at PA...:jump: This is quite a diverse crowd, imo...

davew
02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
I suspect that Hellmers, in reality, isn't any more different than some of us folks right here at PA...:jump: This is quite a diverse crowd, imo...

He has been adding to this thread as Meerz.

One problem I have with the first 2 episodes is the 'timeline' which seems to jump all over the place in both time and location (time space continuum?). I strongly suspect much of the filming was done after certain races, but presented as it was a discussion before a race has ran. I also suspect people were brought together who would have never met if it was not for this filming.

Hopefully it will get better as it goes, time will tell.

Grits
02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
On Feb. 4, the reality series "Horseplayers" returns on the Esquire Network with a new episode chronicling the lives of serious handicappers. Airing Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 10 p.m., episode four delves deeper into the background of Kevin Cox, a big bettor known as the "Brooklyn Cowboy."

After Tuesday's show, "Horseplayers" will go on a two-week hiatus while the NBC family of networks airs coverage of the Olympic Winter Games. New episodes will resume starting Feb. 25 and the remaining episodes of season one are set for March 4, March 11, March 18, March 25, April 1, and April 8, always at 10 p.m.
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83200/jockey-club-tour-on-fox-starts-feb-9#ixzz2sPLnWAFg

LottaKash
02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83200/jockey-club-tour-on-fox-starts-feb-9#ixzz2sPLnWAFg

Thx for the heads-up on the scheduling GRITS.....:jump: ...wasn't aware of some...:)

dirty moose
02-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Anyone have a stream for this?

098poi
02-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I liked this one. :ThmbUp:

Meerz
02-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Since you all represent a good amount of the show's core audience, please put your ideas up on the Esquire horseplayers page...

https://www.facebook.com/HorsePlayersESQ

this is the only way the network will know what real horseplayers think...

Cheers
C

Tara73
02-04-2014, 11:49 PM
What a cheap rip off of Harvey Pack. Conte tell us they call his wife Saint Arlene.or whatever her name happens to be because she has too be a saint to live with Conte. That's right out of Harvey 's book. His wife Saint Joy for tolerating Harvey all those years.

Good to see Andy and Jason for a brief moment in one scene.

SandyW
02-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Anyone have a stream for this?

No stream, but they will show on the Esquire website, delayed.

They are now showing Episode One.

davew
02-05-2014, 12:47 AM
No stream, but they will show on the Esquire website, delayed.

They are now showing Episode One.

Episode 2 is directly after Episode 1, showed up Thursday last week

there is a link to it in post 122 of this thread

Track Phantom
02-05-2014, 12:52 AM
The show was better. The young guy is easy to like. He appears to be the only one (along with Beychock somewhat) with any humility in the bunch. The others are like watching train wrecks. They keep it interesting but their bombastic nature makes it tough to digest.

When I'd go to the track, I'd steer clear of anyone who panned to the crowd by overcheering (especially cheering loudly when the race has been decided). I'm just not one to call attention to myself in that way. Probably why these characters turn me off some.

Racey
02-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Yea the slapping of the program down the stretch is old already. There is a guy at Parx who screams Wire , Wire, every race ....brutal. Loud ass... :D

LottaKash
02-05-2014, 02:13 AM
I'm just not one to call attention to myself in that way. Probably why these characters turn me off some.

Phantom, in all sincerity, you would've probably had a hard time hanging out with some of the characters that I was exposed to thruout my early years of going to the races (talking late 60's & on)...It was never dull tho.....Always bickering, and one upsmanship, coupled with lots of cussin and good times, going to, during, and coming home from the track....It was rarely dull...

In my later years, I had wearied a bit from those guys and those antics, and had traded the loud ones for the more sophisticated ones who were higher rollers than I, but they accepted me as one of their own, only because I could handicap a bit....Stlll they had the same attitudes as the players featured on this good ole TV show, only a little more sedately, but they had the bankrolls that always kept me very humble in comparison to theirs, but still, I knew them...Some of them, and this was before the time of the NHC and other big contests, and they might've beat the pants off of these TV guys, and probably with the same attitudes as well, I'd venture a guess....

In my later years tho, I became a relative hermit when at the track, but in all reality, I sorely miss doze days and doze guyz.....

Nowadays, my missus calls me "moonface", because of the white glow that the computer screens now casts upon on my face....And, I guess that is why I relate so well to this show and dese guyz....:cool: .... It rekindles the glory days of racing for me....It was my handicapping life..

Track Phantom
02-05-2014, 02:29 AM
Phantom, in all sincerity, you would've probably had a hard time hanging out with some of the characters that I was exposed to thruout my early years of going to the races (talking late 60's & on)...It was never dull tho.....Always bickering, and one upsmanship, coupled with lots of cussin and good times, going to, during, and coming home from the track....It was rarely dull...

In my later years, I had wearied a bit from those guys and those antics, and had traded the loud ones for the more sophisticated ones who were higher rollers than I, but they accepted me as one of their own, only because I could handicap a bit....Stlll they had the same attitudes as the players featured on this good ole TV show, only a little more sedately, but they had the bankrolls that always kept me very humble in comparison to theirs, but still, I knew them...Some of them, and this was before the time of the NHC and other big contests, and they might've beat the pants off of these TV guys, and probably with the same attitudes as well, I'd venture a guess....

In my later years tho, I became a relative hermit when at the track, but in all reality, I sorely miss doze days and doze guyz.....

Nowadays, my missus calls me "moonface", because of the white glow that the computer screens now casts upon on my face....And, I guess that is why I relate so well to this show and dese guyz....:cool: .... It rekindles the glory days of racing for me....It was my handicapping life..

Well put!

We all have our memories of being at the track and the people we've met. We all have our tastes and I can see that these guys on the show certainly keep it interesting. They aren't bad guys...just a little too much of "I'm the best". Maybe there is some hamming it for the show but I kind of doubt it.

Believe me, I am not the target audience for these types of reality shows so my opinion likely means very little.

Kybred
02-05-2014, 09:06 AM
I am positive that at the 2006 Oaks and Derby, Peter, Sr. and Peter, Jr. were in the infield suite where I was working as a bartender (fundraiser for my son's high school wrestling team, not my regular job) and I can tell you that the way they act on the show is the way they were at the races, smacking their programs and cheering and so forth. My best recollection was that they were successful in their wagering as well and may have hit some larger exotics. Both guys were really nice and polite to us peons and Jr. really liked his Grey Goose with tonic and a twist I do believe. I am enjoying the show but honestly, I like Duck Dynasty too and I really don't separate the "entertainment" value between either.

CincyHorseplayer
02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
The young guy might show some humility but he had the best line of the show last night when he said "..I don't know who the cowboy thinks he is but he can take his hat and shove it up his azz..".I thought that was great.That guy is a total douchebag!

BIG49010
02-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I think last night there was a couple of weird moments, that only a real horseplayer would notice.

1. The turf race at Belmont when they went around the turn I think they showed a dirt race for a moment?
2. A race at Monmouth when they were going in gate I think Tom D was on the audio clip, but not exactly sure.