PDA

View Full Version : NFL Considers eliminating PAT

_______
01-20-2014, 10:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315779/article/nfl-eyeing-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points

Thoughts? I don't know about taking points off the board for failing on the conversion. This would be a huge change if it comes to pass.

cj
01-20-2014, 10:30 PM
I like it.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 10:35 PM
I think i like it also.

Tom
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Sure, and then we can take points away when a ball player strikes out. :rolleyes:

You want to improve the game?
Cut the number of teams - way more teams than there are good players.
Too many teams just plain suck.

Clocker
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Bill Belichick has been arguing for that for some time. Here is an interesting article (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/belichick-thinks-extra-points-are-a-waste-of-time/).

Valuist
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
So a TD gets 7 points. Teams should have the option of trying for an 8th point from the 2 1/2 yard line (plays only, no kicks), but if they miss, they lose a point.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Its a fancy way of telling teams that if you don't want to try for 2, we are just going to automatically give you 7.

DJofSD
01-21-2014, 12:02 AM
They'll never do it. That'll be one less opportunity to see a play replayed 5 times from 3 different angles twice in slow motion.

If they want to add excitement back to the PAT, just move it further away from the goal posts.

tucker6
01-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Why not make the PAT a 35 yarder for the 7th point? Or a team could opt for two pts from the two yard line. Risk/reward, and we'd see much more two point conversion attempts that would spur action.

MutuelClerk
01-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Take away field goals too. Only time you kick the ball is to punt.

shots
01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I like it also. They should also narrow the goal posts.

Robert Fischer
01-21-2014, 02:54 PM
pros: more commercial time

cons: people may be resistant to change

thaskalos
01-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Why not make the PAT a 35 yarder for the 7th point? Or a team could opt for two pts from the two yard line. Risk/reward, and we'd see much more two point conversion attempts that would spur action.
With the recent rule changes, football has more than enough "action"...IMO. A sporting event cannot always be "thrilling"; it must also have the occasional, boring moment.

Counting a touchdown as seven points and then deducting a point if a team fails to convert the 2-pointer is ridiculous and unnecessary...IMO.

If you want to take the "routine element" out of the game...then leave the touchdown at 6 points...turn the extra point into a 40-yarder...and force the teams to punch it in from the ten-yard line for the 2-pointer.

cj
01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
I just can't remember the last time a missed extra point kick had any real effect on a game. If they want to add excitement, just make teams try for two (or one) by run or pass.

Marshall Bennett
01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Hope they leave it alone. Only good change they ever made with regards to the PAT was moving the goal post to the back of the end zone from the goal line. Don't like the 2 point conversion addition either.

NJ Stinks
01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Hope they leave it alone. Only good change they ever made with regards to the PAT was moving the goal post to the back of the end zone from the goal line. Don't like the 2 point conversion addition either.

I agree with you, Marshall.

If you are down by 8 points with 10 seconds left and get a TD, tough shit. You don't deserve to be able to tie the score with a two point conversion. Because gaining 2 yards and 2 points does not come close to equating with the a team getting the ball into position for a field goal or causing a safety.

Tell me I'm wrong.

PhantomOnTour
01-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I think the idea is ridiculous, just like the commissioner.

Want to do something interesting?
Put a bar across the top of the goal posts and make the short kicks a challenge.

JustRalph
01-21-2014, 06:47 PM
I just can't remember the last time a missed extra point kick had any real effect on a game. If they want to add excitement, just make teams try for two (or one) by run or pass.

My dad used to say this. The more I think about it, good idea.

Maybe give them two tries at it? For possible 4 points?

wiffleball whizz
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Love the idea the commish is throwing around cuz it changes nothing.....extra points aren't missed.....and provide false hope when your getting 6.5 and they score a Td and your actually dumb enough to hope there's a bad snap on the pat.......

Also it causes blue balls when your watching scores and see 6-0 and ur not sure if they kicked the extra point or not......get rid of it

Jay Trotter
01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I think the one-point/two-point option is still the way to go. I think moving the kick back farther would be the way to go to remove the "automatic" part of the equation.

DJofSD
01-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Let's really jazz it up.

Not only move the ball back either 5 or 10 yards but give the team a choice: for every 5 additional yards in increased distance, add 1 point if it's good.

Jay Trotter
01-21-2014, 08:20 PM
You want to improve the game?
Cut the number of teams - way more teams than there are good players.
Too many teams just plain suck.Tom, you old dinosaur! :lol:

That is so untrue. This is a famous rant for pretty much every major league sport in the world and is in many cases totally untrue. There are so many more highly skilled athletes for each and every sport. Players specialize in their chosen sport at very young ages.

If you were to field the worst team today versus the best team from the 50's it would be a slaughter. I bet the average weight alone is 100 lbs and the height probably a good 6 inches. The "watch-ability" of any sport has more to do with competitive balance than anything else.

Don't get me wrong -- sport of old had a lot more "character" and "characters" and it also meant a whole lot more to us as fans. Today we cheer for our Fantasy teams more than we do our Home teams. The number of teams (at this point) is not really a factor.

Rise Over Run
01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Also it causes blue balls when your watching scores and see 6-0 and ur not sure if they kicked the extra point or not......get rid of it

LOL. Awesome. :lol: :lol:

PhantomOnTour
01-21-2014, 08:53 PM
whoever scores the TD has to kick the extra point....?
:)

wiffleball whizz
01-21-2014, 11:04 PM
LOL. Awesome. :lol: :lol:

Laying 4.5 your at the mercy of a old school sports beeper/headline news score ticker (which was first one to come out) your up 21-10 then you see 21-16 and here's how my brain starts spinning:

A. Did they score and miss it
B. did they score and not try the pat/2pt
C. Did they score and the score service went to next gane before the register it?

So many factors.....

And can't tell u how many times the fox score ticker had the dot/football signaling who had the ball which was totally wrong....

Back to the thread get rid of the pat

reckless
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
First off, the networks, cable systems, etc., that pay the outrageous broadcasting rights fees to the NFL might not go for this. They want the 2-3 minutes after the PAT to sell commercials. Yes, you can say the same if no PAT was required but the high PAT kick success rate makes the odd miss exciting, so to speak.

reckless
01-22-2014, 02:56 PM

cj, I don't know your age but if you are of age you might remember this since it was during the Baltimore Colts' 1964 division title season.

In week two, the Colts beat the Packers, 21-20, and the difference was a missed PAT by Paul Hornung. I do recall reading then how that miss was a big deal. Hornung would also miss a PAT just two weeks later against the Vikings, who also beat GB by a point, 24-23.

As the season played out, I guess these misses weren't deemed too important because the Colts easily won the division, but the Packers did lose those two games by just two points -- both due to missed PATs.

I am on the side of keeping the PAT, with the option for 2-points.

Valuist
01-22-2014, 04:26 PM
What is the upside of this? It kind of smacks of Goddell trying to put his stamp on something. Right now, he'd better be worried about weather issues for the Super Bowl. The decision to play the game in an outdoor stadium in a northern city is incredibly stupid. Nice legacy he's building.

KingChas
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
pros: more commercial time

After extra pt=com break

After ensuing kickoff= com break

What's the difference?
Or are you talking about a 5 minute com break in between?