PDA

View Full Version : Hialeah to retain license

karlskorner
04-03-2004, 09:55 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=21659

Guess the Pol's heard the rumor that Frank Stronach maybe selling GP for it's Real Estate value.

delayjf
04-06-2004, 12:07 PM
It would nice to see the Track make a comeback. I heard rumors a while back that they might open and run a short meet simular to Delmar or Saratoga.

karlskorner
04-06-2004, 04:18 PM
CRC and GP have the dates locked up for 365 days. Hialeah tried running against them, several years back, big failure. Magna recently bought land in Central Florida, Stronach either moves his operation to Palm Meadows, which is complete except for Clubhouse/Grandstand or builds new in Central Florida. Either way Hialeah benefits. Brunetti has to make some major repairs in Clubhouse/Grandstand, numerous building violations are outstanding.

delayjf
04-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Karl,

Not sure I follow how openning a new track in Fl helps Hialeah.
If Hialeah were to offer a high quality short meet perhaps with an emphasis on turf racing and some preps for the breeders cup. That might be a start to bigger and better things. To fill out their cards they'd need to offer higher purses than Calder, which they might be able to do on a short term basis. I'm of the opinion that horsemen would race there, all you'd have to do is show them the money.

Anyway, it would be nice to see Hialeah back. I don't see why it can't find its niche in the FL racing scene.

takeout
04-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by delayjf
I'm of the opinion that horsemen would race there, all you'd have to do is show them the money.

But would bettors bet there? (I'm assuming they would still have those same insane takeout rates.)

delayjf
04-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Takeout,
Good point, and I agree, the takeout needs to be lowered.

I was looking at a time of the year which might be best suited for a small Delmar style meet. Pre Breeders Cup might not be the best as you'd have to compete with Belmont and Keenland for top quality animals. Perhaps post Breeders Cup.

I don't know if Hialeah only has one turf cource or not, but it is a 1 1/8 course so if they wanted to add an inner turf course they could. Perhaps make turf the emphasis of the meet.

DealMe3
04-07-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd like to see Hialeah return. I heard that people were getting mugged in the parking lot, and that's the reason for the low attendance.

It would be nice if the Florida legislator would divide up the calendar, so that each track would open and close without competing against each other.

syyamo
04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
delayjf

One way Hialeah could benefit if Stronach pulls up stakes and moves his operation to Ocala.

Magna's been in negotiation's with Ocala Breeder Sales for about 2 years to build a 10,000 or so seat grandstand on their site. There is a licence from Ocala Jai Alia in play that factors into the equation also.

The land at Gulfstream is getting to be too valuable for a racetrack so it's in my opinion a matter of time before that operation moves elsewhere. Stronach appears to be bargaining between Palm Meadows and Ocala for the best deal.

Now, since Ocala is more Northern than Hallendale (a good 2.5 -3 hours as the crow flies), it in effect removes revenue from the Miami/Dade area - the reason the legistlature may not have revoked the Hialeah licence. Give's the good folk in Miami area an option should Stronach fold his tent and move.

Question is what would a track in Ocala do to Tampa Bay Downs?