PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Statues

RacingFan1992
01-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Does anyone think that a statue of each winner of the triple crown should be put over the tops of the graves of these horses. Have it be life sized and in color meaning the horse would be chestnut/other color and the jockey would resemble the actual jockey with the farms silks or something. Anyone have any ideas?

Grits
01-20-2014, 07:27 PM
First, can you locate, today, the graves of each of these horses?

Second, who might you feel should pay for these bronze statues? Ms.Chenery raised the money, herself, for Secretariat's life size bronze with his groom, Eddie Sweat and his rider, Ron Turcotte, that is now at the Kentucky Horse Park.

Color anything is a mistake--bronze would be the only medium. ;)

RacingFan1992
01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Sir Barton washington park douglas wyoming
Gallant Fox claiborne farms
omaha ak sar ben race track
war admiral kentucky horse park
whirlaway calumet
count fleet stoner creek farm grounds
assault king ranch
citation calumet
secretariat claiborne farms
seattle slew hill n dale farms
affirmed jonabell farm

some of these might be wrong.

i haven't got to who might pay for them. i will worry about it if it comes to that. you are right bronze should be the only medium.

Grits
01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Since you enjoy thoroughbred history, here's a piece you might like. I don't know if you've read it. You may have.

Man O' War has been, for many years, one of Barbara's favorite horses. To her, he was and remains, the only "Big Red".

She wrote this piece about three years ago. The tribute--his funeral in 1947. The photos are from her friend who was there that day, the legendary equine photographer, the late James Sammes, III.

Its hard to believe people dressed up, and stood in line for hours and hours to pass before the great champion's body. Its amazing actually. Completely amazing.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/man-o-wars-funeral-remarkable-final-tribute-majestic-champion

RacingFan1992
01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Thank You so much for this plethora of nostalgic information.

Grits
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
You're welcome. Always fun to share. I loved the story and the photos. ;)