PDA

View Full Version : Richard Sherman...

TheEdge07
01-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Doesnt get it..

Attended Stanford acts like a 80's Hurricane player...From Skips Blayess interview and yesterdays interview with Andrews he has no class.

Maximillion
01-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Part of me wants to like him for where he came from.....and he clearly has a brain.I just wish he would use it more often.

Robert Goren
01-20-2014, 09:17 AM
He gets it. He has a brain and he does use it. He is creating his brand which he will turn into cash.

MutuelClerk
01-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Over reaction. I'll take an athlete with passion as opposed to those who only play for the money( Prince Fielder being a Tiger fan). When you put a microphone in any athletes face just after a game be prepared. The media wants to be the first one to report. Emotions are still raw. Reminds me of golf and hearing players ( Tiger) swear after a bad shot. You want to be inside the game, that's what you get. Only thing I didn't like about Sherman was getting in Crabtree's face right after the play. What he said to Erin Andrews I have no problem with. The media incites half this stuff anyway. Running from one locker room to the other. Looking forward to a pretty good Super Bowl.

Valuist
01-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Before Sherman gets raked over the coals, lets remember Crabtree was the one who started the war of words calling Sherman "overrated" (how did that work out for you, Michael?). Secondly, Erin Andrews sticks a mic in his face seconds after he comes of the heat of battle. There's a reason players address the media at a podium 10-15 minutes after the game. Gives them some time to settle down and get composed. Instead of acting all shocked and intimidated, Andrews should not have let Sherman affect her.

TheEdge07
01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Before Sherman gets raked over the coals, lets remember Crabtree was the one who started the war of words calling Sherman "overrated" (how did that work out for you, Michael?). Secondly, Erin Andrews sticks a mic in his face seconds after he comes of the heat of battle. There's a reason players address the media at a podium 10-15 minutes after the game. Gives them some time to settle down and get composed. Instead of acting all shocked and intimidated, Andrews should not have let Sherman affect her.

Defend the Blayless interview..

burnsy
01-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Right on. These boneheads run out there the second the final tick goes off in high heels and Gucci suits...to get a reaction. What do they expect? The podium speech is "after the fact" and its all "fake" crap....How many times can Billichek and Brady say, "They made more plays than us."????I think those two have a script to read. Peyton handles it the same way. But if you get in the face of some of these guys at "that moment" there will be testosterone, that's how they function ON the field. Personally, I love it because I bet the games...while other people get distracted by the "media circus".....I stay focused on the facts. When theres a week or two to talk about a game, you will hear so much BS that people think is important. The guy gives you a "taste" of what its like out there......the "raw" truth of it and its the end of the world. That's the world we live in.....so fake if its not (fake) we are offended. I actually think the "hoopla" is bigger than the game itself and theres some proof.........

Relwob Owner
01-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Thats pretty easy. Bayless is a proven blowhard and Sherman gave it to him good and was pretty much on target IMO in terms of everything he said. Its funny, these sports "experts" like Bayless can go off and have an opinion on everyone and when a guy like Sherman gives it back, everyone gets upset.

As far as yesterday goes, whatever. Sherman is a smart guy and he realizes that when he says stuff like this, it is gonna get talked about and going to get more attention drawn to the game and to himself. At least Sherman can back up what he says, something Mr. Crabtree should learn how to do a little better.

FantasticDan
01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Good article on Sherman's background and his "hyper-drive" nature:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24948663/richard-sherman-what-makes-him-tick

jballscalls
01-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Thats pretty easy. Bayless is a proven blowhard and Sherman gave it to him good and was pretty much on target IMO in terms of everything he said. Its funny, these sports "experts" like Bayless can go off and have an opinion on everyone and when a guy like Sherman gives it back, everyone gets upset.

As far as yesterday goes, whatever. Sherman is a smart guy and he realizes that when he says stuff like this, it is gonna get talked about and going to get more attention drawn to the game and to himself. At least Sherman can back up what he says, something Mr. Crabtree should learn how to do a little better.

Good response. I thought he was spot on with Skip Bayless.

Valuist
01-20-2014, 10:37 AM

I didn't hear the Bayless interview. I try to keep my ESPN viewing to a minimum. Unfortunately, I have to watch them for some events, but I try to avoid their talk shows.

burnsy
01-20-2014, 10:50 AM

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24948663/richard-sherman-what-makes-him-tick

That's who he is, no secret, most of the great players are wired this way. Theres exceptions like Eli, whose kind of laid back. But Brady is definitely like this, he hates losing, you can see it in his face when he says all that "proper, fake" crap....if you look at his face you can tell he's hyper, pissed off...if he says what he wants.........he gets even more crap, so he tows the company line. Seriously, how many guys are going to survive that sport if they are not wired this way and be any good for that matter. The media world with Skip and Stephen A are Tv shows,,,,not the real thing. Good coaches look for the Shermans of the world...you know this crazy bastard will give 110% in every game.

horses4courses
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
The man is like school on a Saturday.......no class.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/a-history-of-richard-shermans-unsportsmanlike-conduct/?sf21852392=1

Tom
01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Big mouth, small brain.

horses4courses
01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Big mouth, small brain.

I don't agree with you very often, Tom, but now is one of those times.
Can't help but get the feeling that his academic prowess at Stanford was less than stellar. :ThmbDown:

Robert Fischer
01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
I agree 1000% that Erin Andrews completely botched the interview. She seemed to somehow combine amateurism with snobbery, intimidation, and what almost seemed like personal rejection.

As far as Sherman, I'm on the fence.
I think you dominate on the field, and there is going to be some "back and forth" and there is going to be some "trash talk".
I think he acted like a fool. I don't necessarily have a problem with someone acting like a fool. Whether they can't control their emotions, or whether they are crafting an image/securing talk show appearances/twitter hits?/etc.... it's not the classy way to go, or the way I'd expect a champion to carry himself, but the media has evolved into a place where the "sports talk" and the "social media" are important market shares.

TJDave
01-20-2014, 01:23 PM
The league could stop this in an instant if it wanted but trash talk sells so...

My all time favorite:

Bradshaw couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the 'c' and the 'a'.

thaskalos
01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
The media has itself resorted to trash-talking in order to drive up the ratings...so the players are responding in kind...IMO. Bayless has trashed plenty of players in his day...so I can't say that it bothered me too much to see someone get in his face like that.

As far as yesterday's Sherman on-field interview is concerned...what could they possibly have expected when they approached Sherman with a microphone so close to the end of the game?

The reporters should make up their minds on what they really WANT in these post-game interviews. They ridicule the players who supply them with nothing but bland, predictable answers...and then they get bothered when a player gives them something unique to report.

NJ Stinks
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM

One thing Sherman said in this article that I definitely admired was this quote about why he chose to go to Stanford:

"I wanted to go somewhere and be part of the change rather than a place that was already winning," he said.

This is going back too far for younger posters here but....When I was a teenager John Wooden was winning all those NCAA basketball titles at UCLA. Year after year some announcer on TV would say the guys on UCLA's bench were good enough to beat most college teams. This baffled me. Why would anybody with a load of talent want to go to UCLA and watch other guys on your team play and win? What the hell is that all about?

Anyway, I'm happy to see Sherman was a good student and has a great work ethic. But I still hope Peyton and the Broncos beat him a few times in the Super Bowl just to shut the guy up for a while.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Skip Bayless is getting some love in this thread? Yikes, is there anyone who respects this guy or thinks he has a strong sports opinion?

mountainman
01-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Skip Bayless is getting some love in this thread? Yikes, is there anyone who respects this guy or thinks he has a strong sports opinion?

Sherman stammered too much and came off as too rehearsed in his attempted takedown of Bayless. If you want to see Bayless flustered, outdebated and completely put in his place (and who wouldn't?), watch his more extended segment with Terrell Suggs.

I stumbled on the vid after pulling up Bayless/Sherman and was struck at how effectively Suggs kept his cool and parried each awkward thrust from Bayless. By the end of their 20-minute session, a red-faced Bayless had been reduced to 3rd grade taunts in a desperate, failed attempt to provoke some controversial comment. Suggs just laid him to waste.

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't mind someone bragging and telling the world how great he is. It's a sign of the times.
When Muhammad Ali did it, it was new. Now it's par for the course.
I'm not a fan of it, but I've become used to it and it no longer bothers me.

What I do mind is putting down another player (saying Crab was a "sorry" receiver), making the choke sign and offering a "handshake" to Crabtree after the play.
Offer a genuine handshake when the game is over....like a man.

ronsmac
01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Sherman stammered too much and came off as too rehearsed in his attempted takedown of Bayless. If you want to see Bayless flustered, outdebated and completely put in his place (and who wouldn't?), watch his more extended segment with Terrell Suggs.

I stumbled on the vid after pulling up Bayless/Sherman and was struck at how effectively Suggs kept his cool and parried each awkward thrust from Bayless. By the end of their 20-minute session, a red-faced Bayless had been reduced to 3rd grade taunts in a desperate, failed attempt to provoke some controversial comment. Suggs just laid him to waste.
Well Skip did avg a hearty 1.3 pts per game in high school even though he claimed to be similar to Pistol Pete Maravich.

RXB
01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Can't help but get the feeling that his academic prowess at Stanford was less than stellar. :ThmbDown:

Sherman reportedly graduated from Stanford with a 3.9 GPA and started a master's degree during the fall semester of his senior season.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Here's Suggs on E-60 talking about his "love" for all things Brady/Belichick and New England. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TND47VHQM

Grits
01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
That's who he is, no secret, most of the great players are wired this way. Theres exceptions like Eli, whose kind of laid back. But Brady is definitely like this, he hates losing, you can see it in his face when he says all that "proper, fake" crap....if you look at his face you can tell he's hyper, pissed off...if he says what he wants.........he gets even more crap, so he tows the company line. Seriously, how many guys are going to survive that sport if they are not wired this way and be any good for that matter. The media world with Skip and Stephen A are Tv shows,,,,not the real thing. Good coaches look for the Shermans of the world...you know this crazy bastard will give 110% in every game.

Yep. Your knowledge abounds. Wired like Sherman? The greats like:

Joe Montana
Steve Young, after Montana retired
Jerry Rice
Dan Marino
Emmitt Smith
Walter Peyton ... Gimme a break! "Sweetness" was so wired, he garnered his nickname years before his death, and had an award named after him??? Yep, he was meaner than a junkyard dog.

Burnsy, you're a walking book of knowledge. One could easily go back decades more. Many of us have watched this game as long as you have, but know nothing compared to you. Right??

Someday, another player is going to hurt this young man, badly. He's only in what, 3rd, 4th season? I read a lot about him today, as I've not followed Seattle, though I like the QB. Sherman's worked hard to get where he is. Too, he has fine parents. Father drives a garbage truck, mother works with children with disabilities. He works for inner city kids; a good thing. Still, he needs to learn to win, and to lose, with dignity. For now, he's a punk that everyone, nationwide, wants to see lose.

Maximillion
01-20-2014, 06:24 PM
I seen a piece on him a few months ago,featuring some of his background and admit to really liking the guy and his family.Ive read some of the things he has written and found them to be both insightful and intelligent.THAT guy I find interesting.

His behavior at times has been selfish and childish....and that guy I honestly find boring.

newtothegame
01-20-2014, 06:39 PM
He definitely could of showed more class at the end, when he ran over and smacked crabtree on the backside. That is rubbing it in his face.....
There is no need for that......this is what happens when you do.....

Wl4ViIwy7KA

newtothegame
01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4ViIwy7KA

Richard Sherman getting punched in the face by Redskins Trent Williams....

Guess you need to be careful who you wish to rub it in their face.....:lol:

jballscalls
01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Of course on the interwebs people are saying lots of the outrage is a race thing. I'm a big believer that race does need to be considered at all times, however, personally I remember watching this interview below, which had similar timing, yelling into the camera, talking bad about the opponent and yet thinking it was awesome. Yet when Sherman did his thing yesterday I didn't like it (and i'm a Seattle guy, Seahawks fan).

For me the difference is that Sherman's whole thing was just about himself and his personal matchup in the game. It was all me me me. Whereas Bart Scott's rant below was all about his team and his defense. Not sure why, but that makes a big difference to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

kingfin66
01-20-2014, 09:12 PM

I was thinking that you remind me of the Skip Bayless of Pace Advantage. No offense intended.

cj's dad
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times? have to stay ghettofabulous/licious right He went to Stanford- Think it has anything to do with the fact he is a great player?

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
I was thinking that you remind me of the Skip Bayless of Pace Advantage. No offense intended.

Yeah, maybe in some ways, but Skip's "schtick" is that his opinion is bought and paid for.....he says what he's told to say, he argues the side he's told to argue.

If someone wants to pay me, they could sway my opinion too. :D

mountainman
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
There's a great article that pertains to this now posted on msn's home page. It's by a guy named Clay Travers and entitled "'Can we please stop talking about 'class' in sports?"

Travers compellingly decries our insistence on disingenuously meek interview responses from professional athletes. It seems the writer's contention that obligatory adherence to the universal script reveals more about our fetish for decorum than it does the true nature of pro-sports and its participants. And I agree.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 09:47 PM
There's a great article that pertains to this now posted on msn's home page. It's by a guy named Clay Travers and entitled "'Can we please stop talking about 'class' in sports?"

Travers compellingly decries our insistence on disingenuously meek interview responses from professional athletes. It seems the writer's contention that obligatory adherence to the universal script reveals more about our fetish for decorum than it does the true nature of pro-sports and its participants. And I agree.

I think the problem many sports fans have is that they don't realize that Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball are NOT any different than Professional wrestling as far as entertainment goes. Sure, maybe those sports are less "crooked" and some people think they're 100% honest (you know, the ones who were born last night lol) but for the most part, its all a big "reality show" and the only reason these games exist is to sell you products, people take these games WAY too seriously, i don't see any reason to sit in front of a tv and watch all these commercials unless you have either a wager on the games OR plan on using the video information to make betting decisions in the future. Anyone who watches these games for "Free" is the biggest sucker on the planet.

I had a close friend text me yesterday and told me that watching the NFL games live is torture and his brain is fried from all the commercials....i told him that even watching on DELAY and fast forwarding the commercials is torture...but, at any rate, these games are being played so the consumer can sit thru advertisements. Nothing more. People think they're watching the game with a few commercials sprinkled in, but its really the opposite, they're watching hours of commercials with a few plays sprinkled in.

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Racism is alive and well according to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542863/Seattle-Seahawks-Richard-Sherman-defends-post-game-rant.html

newtothegame
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I think the problem many sports fans have is that they don't realize that Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball are NOT any different than Professional wrestling as far as entertainment goes. Sure, maybe those sports are less "crooked" and some people think they're 100% honest (you know, the ones who were born last night lol) but for the most part, its all a big "reality show" and the only reason these games exist is to sell you products, people take these games WAY too seriously, i don't see any reason to sit in front of a tv and watch all these commercials unless you have either a wager on the games OR plan on using the video information to make betting decisions in the future. Anyone who watches these games for "Free" is the biggest sucker on the planet.

I had a close friend text me yesterday and told me that watching the NFL games live is torture and his brain is fried from all the commercials....i told him that even watching on DELAY and fast forwarding the commercials is torture...but, at any rate, these games are being played so the consumer can sit thru advertisements. Nothing more. People think they're watching the game with a few commercials sprinkled in, but its really the opposite, they're watching hours of commercials with a few plays sprinkled in.

I agree the games are intended for entertainment to an extent....
But, I wouldn't go so far as to compare the NFL, Baseball, NBA, Hockey with wrestling......

Tell Bowman who damn near had his leg snapped yesterday its all just entertainment.....
Or how about the numerous pitchers who have had 100mph line drives off of the skull.....etc etc....

There is a certain entertainment factor but it is very different in my opinion.
Wrestling is completely staged these days and trash talk is all a part of it.
I have no problem with the in game back and forth but, I truly think Sherman crossed the line once the game was over and he ran up behind crab and taunted him (first by smacking him in the buttocks, then in his face) and finally the choke imitation.....
Purely classless in my opinion......
Winner should act accordingly.......
I remember a few years back where Manning caught a lot of grief for not shaking Brees hand after losing......and rightfully so!

horses4courses
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Racism is alive and well according to this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542863/Seattle-Seahawks-Richard-Sherman-defends-post-game-rant.html

There is, also, no shortage of it in the UK and Europe.

horses4courses
01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeeYZuQCcAEWEk_.jpg

Robert Fischer
01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
tjiQ6yv0Dg4

thaskalos
01-21-2014, 03:17 PM
The Sherman-Crabtree feud was apparently months in the making...

http://nypost.com/2014/01/20/sherman-crabtree-beef-started-at-charity-event/

ArlJim78
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't get all the uproar. I thought he was in the moment, yes full of himself, and expectedly emotional right at the moment of the Andrews interview. I got a chuckle out of it. At least he didn't drop a bunch of F bombs.

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't get all the uproar. I thought he was in the moment, yes full of himself, and expectedly emotional right at the moment of the Andrews interview. I got a chuckle out of it. At least he didn't drop a bunch of F bombs.

People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size. Sherman is playing a violent game and was in the heat of the battle mere seconds before this interview. Sherman seems to be an otherwise good person who stays out of trouble, helps his community, gives to charities, helps young people, etc.

A guy like this should get a pass, he's even apologized when he really didnt have to.

mountainman
01-22-2014, 08:07 AM
People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size.

A guy like this should get a pass, he's even apologized when he really didnt have to.

Very perceptive. We quickly pass judgment on verbal miscues as if WE'VE never acted out or misspoken-or. at least, would handle ourselves FAR better than the object of our scorn did in some situation we've NEVER been exposed to. Then we sit back like kings and queens waiting for the pc offender to grovel before us -when we're not the "aggrieved" party to begin with. And then we REALLY go to work in dissecting the "sincerity" of said apology in excruciating detail.

Who, exactly, died and made us the all-knowing gods of propriety and decorum?

Overlay
01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Across sporting lines, Hank Aaron has tweeted his support to Sherman:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/01/22/hank-aaron-tweets-richard-sherman-you-have-my-support/

reckless
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Professional wrestling was never 'fixed' because it never was broken.

Major pro sports today is indeed broken, even to does that are supporters.

For many years I have been saying the NFL, PGA, NBA, et al, are little more than infomercials. My friends used to laugh when I would say that. No one laughs anymore.

Good post SRU.

Stillriledup
01-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Professional wrestling was never 'fixed' because it never was broken.

Major pro sports today is indeed broken, even to does that are supporters.

For many years I have been saying the NFL, PGA, NBA, et al, are little more than infomercials. My friends used to laugh when I would say that. No one laughs anymore.

Good post SRU.

Thanks!

What i meant to say is that pro sports are entertainment first...and yet, people think of them as "pure sport" when they are far from it. The olympics is more "pure sport" than professional sports leagues.....the olympics have their games set up so that the best person wins....in pro sports, you have refs making calls to favor teams in bigger markets, etc. ...that's not something that should ever happen in a "pure sport" league. These people arent interested in getting to the bottom of the results, all they care about is selling advertising.

A great example was during the New England Denver game.....Denver was way ahead, New England had 3 points to their name and on that drive in the 3rd quarter there were TWO major penalties on Denver that were called to keep the game "in doubt". and the refs essentially got New England into the end zone and got you and me to watch another round of advertisements.

Relwob Owner
01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times? have to stay ghettofabulous/licious right He went to Stanford- Think it has anything to do with the fact he is a great player?

Are you saying that because the NFL is 80-85% black, there is a greater likelihood of stupid things being done by its players? Seems to me that these days, stupid things are being done by people of all races and ethnicities.

Also, I read that he had a 4.2 in High School, a 1400 SAT score and graduated Stanford with a 3.7 GPA and a Masters Degree. If this is true, then his going to Stanford clearly was due to more than just being a great player.

NJ Stinks
01-24-2014, 07:28 PM
People in America much too sensitive...they're looking for any reason to cut someone down to size. Sherman is playing a violent game and was in the heat of the battle mere seconds before this interview. Sherman seems to be an otherwise good person who stays out of trouble, helps his community, gives to charities, helps young people, etc.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Sherman acted like a fool in that interview. Now that we know more about the guy, it's likely that he was putting on an act in order to make more money down the line.

This observation doesn't make me insensitive, it makes me skeptical.

One more thing. Anybody who ever did anything great on a football field or any other athletic endeavor knows nobody acts like Sherman did in that interview after the game is over - except on purpose.

Unless you lost, of course.

Hank
01-24-2014, 11:20 PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news dad,but you being WHITE and the author of this asinine post, effectively refutes your assertion.

RXB
01-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Most of the younger gens love Sherman's kind of bluster. I could do without it but hey, given everything that goes on in the world of football, a guy yelling in an interview seems like mild sauce.

What makes me laugh is the stuff about him being a "thug" and a "dummy." He's no thug and he's no dummy. Actually seems like quite a good guy off of the field.

ronsmac
01-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Most of the younger gens love Sherman's kind of bluster. I could do without it but hey, given everything that goes on in the world of football, a guy yelling in an interview seems like mild sauce.

What makes me laugh is the stuff about him being a "thug" and a "dummy." He's no thug and he's no dummy. Actually seems like quite a good guy off of the field.
I'm not that young but I loved it. He and Crabtree have a little history, Crabtree said he didn't think Sherman was that good earlier in the week, so you know he was waiting to make a statement play. Sherman made the play of the game, Crabtree pulled another superbowl no show in crunch time, and the rest is history.

Stillriledup
01-25-2014, 08:07 PM
If a pro wrestler like Rowdy Roddy Piper (for example) gets into the camera and yells like an "idiot" nobody has a problem with it. Not only does nobody have a problem with it, people LIKE it. Sherman does the same thing, although much less mild than Roddy Piper. Now, why people get mad at one guy and not mad at the other is anyones guess.

As Colin Cowherd might say, " that's a YOU problem".

Saratoga_Mike
01-25-2014, 08:19 PM
If a pro wrestler like Rowdy Roddy Piper (for example) gets into the camera and yells like an "idiot" nobody has a problem with it. Not only does nobody have a problem with it, people LIKE it. Sherman does the same thing, although much less mild than Roddy Piper. Now, why people get mad at one guy and not mad at the other is anyones guess.

As Colin Cowherd might say, " that's a YOU problem".

You do not understand the difference between an NFL post-game interview and an interview with a former (?) WWE wrestler? If not, seek help.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news dad,but you being WHITE and the author of this asinine post, effectively refutes your assertion.

Yeah, that's right. NFL athletes are pure as the driven snow.

He's not a racist, he's a realist. It will never change as long as the truth is ignored.

In the words of one of my friends "Lord! What have my people done now?"

Saratoga_Mike
01-25-2014, 08:26 PM

He's not a racist, he's a realist. It will never change as long as the truth is ignored.

"The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times?" ---CJD

Okay.

Saratoga_Mike
01-25-2014, 08:32 PM
And Ralph, help me - give an example of what a racist statement would look like.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 08:32 PM
"The NFL is what 80-85% black ?? How could one not expect stupid things to come up at times?" ---CJD

Okay.

Would have it have made you feel better if he said,

"black and with tons of money, and an attitude of entitlement all of which leads them into very bad situations both legally and morally"

Let's face it. These are normally young men. There is a difference culturally. You can deny it all you want. That doesn't make the problem go away.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 08:35 PM
And Ralph, help me - give an example of what a racist statement would look like.

Yeah right. You need me for that? Right?

Plenty of those around I'm sure.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 08:52 PM

I dont know if he is racist or not but that comment taken on its own was just atrocious IMO and really hard to defend.

Stillriledup
01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
You do not understand the difference between an NFL post-game interview and an interview with a former (?) WWE wrestler? If not, seek help.

There's no difference......two athletes yelling into the camera, its one in the same.

Relwob Owner
01-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Would have it have made you feel better if he said,

"black and with tons of money, and an attitude of entitlement all of which leads them into very bad situations both legally and morally"

Let's face it. These are normally young men. There is a difference culturally. You can deny it all you want. That doesn't make the problem go away.

No, he clearly said that because there is a high percentage of blacks, that increases the likelihood of stupid things being done. There is no spinning what he posted.

Lets see.........Two of the stupidest things I can remember being done this year in pro sports and entertainment and they were done by Riley Cooper and Justin Bieber. That kind of shoots down the theory that "race" or "culture" has something to do with people doing stupid things. It doesn't matter what color anyone is, there will always be idiots and the only thing that may make it more likely perhaps is if the people are young and have money.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 09:17 PM
I dont know if he is racist or not but that comment taken on its own was just atrocious IMO and really hard to defend.

He has a different outlook than most. He lives in a black neighborhood. He has many friends who are black(and agree with him btw) he has witnessed killings a block from his house. When I say witnessed I mean from 20 feet away.

He lives in a city where they speak a different dialogue when it comes to race. The blacks are actually more forthright than anything CJ's Dad says on this board. I have sat with him and his friends. They are much closer to these problems than just about anybody I know on this board. There are others on this board who could chime in. They don't, they're younger and less apt to speak out.

We have a national story going on right now about a mall shooting 25 minutes west of Baltimore. 2 people shot in a domestic at the mall. Shooter dead also. People all over social media screaming about guns etc. Yet in Baltimore in the first ten days of the year 12 people were shot ( you can guess the racial makeup) and for fear of being labeled a racist, it's not a black problem. The people who live there know different. It's a cultural problem that is ignored for fear of being labeled a racist.

Back to the original comment. Black NFL players get in trouble at a rate 10 times the rate of white players. The NFL is 67% black.

Lots of reasons. Mostly cultural. The blacks participate in a culture that is completely different than the white players. The yield is more trouble, more arrests etc.

Sherman's on field statements after the game brought many comments. Many associating him with the culture of troublesome issues. Regardless of his grade point average, brains and brawn, he was appealing and directing his comments into a theme that is part of the same culture and attitude that causes problems with NFL players. He may be an outlier in some respects, but he chose to appeal to a certain attitude. Good or bad. I'm sure he had his reasons.

Stillriledup
01-25-2014, 09:28 PM
No, he clearly said that because there is a high percentage of blacks, that increases the likelihood of stupid things being done. There is no spinning what he posted.

Lets see.........Two of the stupidest things I can remember being done this year in pro sports and entertainment and they were done by Riley Cooper and Justin Bieber. That kind of shoots down the theory that "race" or "culture" has something to do with people doing stupid things. It doesn't matter what color anyone is, there will always be idiots and the only thing that may make it more likely perhaps is if the people are young and have money.

Justin Bieber is white? :D

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 09:29 PM

Don't forget Hernandez.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But CJ's dad has his reasons for speaking the way he does. He lives it. You and I may not have the same dialogue as he does. But it's real. And it's accurate in many many ways. But if you are going to go after him for it, you need to understand he's got many valid reasons for what he says. He is a stone cold inner city Baltimore guy. 65 plus years. He has loved that place forever. It's written all over him. He is echoing the same things his friends say. I guess since they're black they can do it. He can't. Btw, they don't sit around and say "blacks are stupid" they discuss individual issues and events. If they did the former, they would be racist.

Off my soap box.

JustRalph
01-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Justin Bieber is white? :D

So is the other guy. But I get you were trying to be funny.

It doesn't change Relwob's point though. It makes a different point which I'm sure was his meaning.

cj's dad
01-26-2014, 01:06 AM
I just saw this! I hang out in a bar 100 yards from my home that is predominately black' most of my friends there are black. As Ralph and the Whiz can attest to they like me; work/pay taxes/ and obey the law/If you want to label me a racist go right ahead- I think it is comical

wiffleball whizz
01-26-2014, 01:13 AM
I just saw this! I hang out in a bar 100 yards from my home that is predominately black' most of my friends there are black. As Ralph and the Whiz can attest to they like me; work/pay taxes/ and obey the law/If you want to label me a racist go right ahead- I think it is comical

Cjs dad is not racist

I seen why my own eyes him having close friends that are black

We went on a road trip to the strip club which consisted of myself him and a black gentleman

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 01:09 PM
There's no difference......two athletes yelling into the camera, its one in the same.

Oh yes, it's a distinction without a difference (a football player vs. a WWE wrestler). It's such a nuanced difference. Barely perceptible. All sarcasm...in case you missed it.

Saratoga_Mike
01-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Out of respect to another poster, I'll leave it at this: the word choice in your original posting was poor. You should have just said, "what do you expect from an NFL player?" There was no need to inject race. There are plenty of white NFL players who behave like idiots. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

mountainman
01-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Poor wording, but the guy deserves a pass. As much as I'd love to bury a ravens fan, he doesn't strike me as a racist, and I get what he was trying to say about cultural differences. Not saying I agree, just that I get his intended point and take him at his word when he says he's not a racist.

JustRalph
01-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Common sense prevails.......

Who says off topic is a bad place to be. Some very interesting discussions happen sometimes. Especially when it comes Rastling

Relwob Owner
01-26-2014, 05:06 PM

I dont know if you are racist or not. That post sure seemed to lean that way and I must say that you seem incredibly interested in race, as you seem to interject it a lot in your posts and comments and most of them seem to be commenting, often negatively, about blacks.

At the very least, the post was ignorant, not because of any racism but that you implied Sherman went to Stanford because he is a good football player. You didn't respond when it was pointed out how intelligent he is and I could only assume it was because you figured you stood corrected.

cj's dad
01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
I dont know if you are racist or not. That post sure seemed to lean that way and I must say that you seem incredibly interested in race, as you seem to interject it a lot in your posts and comments and most of them seem to be commenting, often negatively, about blacks.

At the very least, the post was ignorant, not because of any racism but that you implied Sherman went to Stanford because he is a good football player. You didn't respond when it was pointed out how intelligent he is and I could only assume it was because you figured you stood corrected.

You are correct- I am ignorant and I stand corrected ! Thanks for the update!

The strange thing is that I have no idea what you are about. You post nothing of substance in OT. Maybe you have skeletons in your closet? I say what I mean and mean what I say, although I may not say it as elequently as others. When I used the word "stupid", my meaning was to suggest that some athletes act like children and tend to pander to the lowest level of society.Why they do this I have no clue. My guess would be that they want "street cred"; a term I have heard many many times before. I hated when Ray Lewis did the pre-game Raven scream and he played for my favorite team. I hate the taunting by an opponent that is losing by 3 TD's late jn the 3rd qtr I hate the "it's all about me attitude shown by many in the NFL. That the NFL is 67% black I did not know. Were the NFL 67% white I would post the same thing. Your characterization of me is incorrect.

Relwob Owner
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
You are correct- I am ignorant and I stand corrected ! Thanks for the update!

The strange thing is that I have no idea what you are about. You post nothing of substance in OT. Maybe you have skeletons in your closet? I say what I mean and mean what I say, although I may not say it as elequently as others. When I used the word "stupid", my meaning was to suggest that some athletes act like children and tend to pander to the lowest level of society.Why they do this I have no clue. My guess would be that they want "street cred"; a term I have heard many many times before. I hated when Ray Lewis did the pre-game Raven scream and he played for my favorite team. I hate the taunting by an opponent that is losing by 3 TD's late jn the 3rd qtr I hate the "it's all about me attitude shown by many in the NFL. That the NFL is 67% black I did not know. Were the NFL 67% white I would post the same thing. Your characterization of me is incorrect.

CJD,

I think I do post things of substance in OT-sports, as I follow sports pretty closely, the Browns(unfortunately for me) in particular. I think you may have been glossing over my posts and missed the fact that I never characterized you as a person at all. I try to always mention the "post" because it is silly and ignorant to judge a person as a whole on any random remark, especially on a message board. I simply pointed out that the post leaned towards a racist bent and that you often post about race and that you also appeared to have your facts wrong about Sherman. Thats what I saw and commented on, knowing full well that I don't know you at all and can't characterize you as a person based on what you say on here.

I respect the fact that you say what you mean and mean what you say and I have the right to comment on it in response. That being said, I believe in the fact that you cant judge someone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. I dont know if you are racist or not(as I mentioned in my post). I absolutely agree with you about athletes acting like idiots, I was just disagreeing with the assertion that it had anything to do with the percentages of blacks in the NFL and I didnt see a need to correlate the two. Like I have said, there are idiots of all color shape and size and like you, I hate it when anyone celebrates when making a tackle when down by three TD's, when players do the repetetive dances, the all about me attitudes, etc. See, something we agree on....

Lets put this to bed and maybe we can debate how many touchdowns my Browns are going to beat your boys by next time they play next year.

NJ Stinks
01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
CJD,

Lets put this to bed and maybe we can debate how many touchdowns my Browns are going to beat your boys by next time they play next year.

I don't think the Browns are going to turn things around until they change their nickname.

I'm kidding, RO, honest! :p :)

Relwob Owner
01-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Hahahaha.....If it were only that simple!

Stillriledup
01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Oh yes, it's a distinction without a difference (a football player vs. a WWE wrestler). It's such a nuanced difference. Barely perceptible. All sarcasm...in case you missed it.

There's only a big difference if you think one of these "sports" is scripted and the other one is "pure sport".

cj's dad
01-28-2014, 08:59 PM
RS has issued an apology to Eric Trabtree. Classy move on his behalf

burnsy
01-29-2014, 06:17 AM
I don't think the Browns are going to turn things around until they change their nickname.

I'm kidding, RO, honest! :p :)

What about those uniforms? As bad as the name.

cj's dad
01-29-2014, 06:50 AM
I just finished watching a show on ESPN "Profile 60" It was about Marshawn Lynch. Whwn he was in Buffalo, he was involved in 2 incidents; the first was a hit and run where a woman was injured, the second he was carryibg a loaded gun in the trunk of his car. The show cuts back to his mother and her comment was that her son has to stop doing dumb (stupid) things. I guess Ms. Lynch is a ra... oh never mind ;)

jballscalls
01-29-2014, 10:28 AM
The show cuts back to his mother and her comment was that her son has to stop doing dumb (stupid) things. I guess Ms. Lynch is a ra... oh never mind ;)

If her comment was "my son is black so he's obviously gonna do some stupid things"

Then yes she would have been ra..... oh never mind.

cj's dad
01-29-2014, 10:32 AM
If her comment was "my son is black so he's obviously gonna do some stupid things"

Then yes she would have been ra..... oh never mind.

I was posting tongue in cheek - Jeeeeeez

jballscalls
01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I was posting tongue in cheek - Jeeeeeez

I know, the emoticon indicated that.

kingfin66
01-29-2014, 11:41 PM
RS has issued an apology to Eric Trabtree. Classy move on his behalf

Eric Trabtree?

Michael Crabtree?

cj's dad
01-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Eric Trabtree?

Michael Crabtree?

Whatever

Stillriledup
02-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Sherman's a world champ guys.

Richard Sherman, Super Bowl champion. Has a nice ring to it! :D

wiffleball whizz
02-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Whatever

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only took 13 days to see this!!!

Stillriledup
02-02-2014, 09:18 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: only took 13 days to see this!!!

Whizzer where you been, how you been hitting them, havent seen you posing much recently.

What's the good word??

cj's dad
02-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Whizzer where you been, how you been hitting them, havent seen you posing much recently.

What's the good word??

hanging out with me- that usually messes folks up !

kingfin66
02-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Whatever

Yeah whatever. Don't even get players' names right when you are posting your opinions about them.

Whatever indeed.

JustRalph
02-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Just heard the Ortho Tech putting the cast on Sherman's ankle is the best in the world.

JustRalph
02-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Just heard the Ortho Tech putting the cast on Sherman's ankle is the best in the world.

Oh yeah, and he had a 3.9 GPA at Ortho Tech school.......

lamboguy
02-03-2014, 04:52 AM
Erin Andrew seems to be getting the good interviews these days. she got Big Pappy right after the Red Sox won the world series this year and boy did he put on a great show, then she got this Sherman character to perform. for the superbowl it was a dead interview, she had the losing coach on, while she handled it great, it was very boring.

Valuist
02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
FWIW, Sherman spent the bulk of the game on Eric Decker.

5 targets for Decker. 1 catch for 8 yards. Incompletions don't make headlines but Sherman did come to play.

davew
07-17-2021, 04:25 AM
he is probably done playing for awhile :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9796389/Richard-Sherman-hit-FIVE-charges-attempted-break-in.html

headhawg
07-17-2021, 08:26 AM
he is probably done playing for awhile :(In today's new new world? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Inner Dirt
07-17-2021, 09:51 AM
he is probably done playing for awhile :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9796389/Richard-Sherman-hit-FIVE-charges-attempted-break-in.html

In today's new new world? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

First he has money, unlike what the left sells, that is how you get privilege in the USA regardless of skin color. Another common theme is referring to incidents like the above as "having a mental health crisis." Of course white people who get drunk or high and freak out don't get that label, they are just considered intoxicated and violent.

TJDave
07-17-2021, 09:00 PM
In today's new new world? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

In 2007 a former friend bet me 5k that Michael Vick was done.

Inner Dirt
07-18-2021, 01:04 PM
In 2007 a former friend bet me 5k that Michael Vick was done.

Holy crap! Do you light cigars with $100 bills? In my world those are things to bet $100 on. Most I have ever bet on anything was $3k. The Super Bowl the refs screwed the Seahawks out of against Pittsburgh at the end of the 2005 season. The only reason I bet that much is I let the NFL playoff betting profit ride, that was the best run I ever had in the NFL.

CheckMark
07-19-2021, 11:08 AM
When he was on the Seahawks he was one of my favourite players and the best moment had to be the 2013 season when in the NFC Championship game Sherman deflected a pass off of Crabtree to win the game for the Seahawks

I will never forget the next game when the Seahawks took on the Broncos to win their 1st Super Bowl in franchise history! :headbanger:

Sad to see something like this happen to a guy like Sherman but he is a free agent now (contract expired) and don't think any team would pick him up after this for a few months

Inner Dirt
07-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Sad to see something like this happen to a guy like Sherman but he is a free agent now (contract expired) and don't think any team would pick him up after this for a few months

Sounds like a major episode of drunk and stupid. At least he went and made a Twitter post and manned up and owned it, instead of the typical, have your lawyer speak for you and make up a bunch of excuses.