PDA

View Full Version : It was good enough for Gary Gilmore

JustRalph
01-18-2014, 03:09 AM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/17/22343015-some-states-look-at-reviving-firing-squads-amid-shortage-of-execution-drugs?lite

Unintended consequences......strike again.......

You can't have our drug..............

Screw it. Just shoot em.........

Some days you gotta just laugh at the news

lamboguy
01-18-2014, 04:20 AM
that's why our elected officials get the big money, to dream of circumstances like this one that might prop up.

if i had my choice which way to get executed, i would definately go for the firing squad

cj's dad
01-18-2014, 10:08 AM
I think they should be strapped to a chair and be forced to watch re-runs of "My Mother The Car" non-stop until they beg to cut their own wrists.

HUSKER55
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
the fact that he suffored does not bother me at all. How about the suffering he did to his victims and their families. I am kinda in favor of it.

However, nothing says scew you quite like a public hanging, like in the old west movies. Women packed a picnic lunch to watch. Laughing while the guilty die.

Imagine what would be going thru their minds, what they will miss out on and etc. The parties, friends, laughing and all. Then reality sets in.

Cheaper than bullets and it gives the public a chance to vent their anger. The victims families can get the closure they need to move on.

Tom
01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Execute them in the exact same manner they killed their victim.
Whatever that is........no holds barred.
And bill the family.

Clocker
01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
That article appears to be screwed up. It says that the drug in short supply is pentobarbitol, but the story it links to says the drug in short supply is sodium thiopental.

Pentobarbitol is the drug vets use to put down animals. From the second article:
States don't have to look far for another option. Pentobarbital, a surgical sedative that is sometimes employed in assisted suicides and is commonly used to destroy dogs and cats, was adopted by Oklahoma last year as part of its three-drug combination and has been used for three executions. Ohio announced Tuesday it would become the first state to use pentobarbital all by itself to put inmates to death.

However, the use of pentobarbital in executions has yet to be reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court, which last tackled the constitutionality of injection in 2008 when it approved the three-drug method.

In Kentucky, where the entire stockpile of sodium thiopental has expired, a switch requires an administrative process that typically lasts six months. Similar hurdles exist in California, Maryland and Nebraska.

The problem is bureaucratic red tape. There was a case recently where a law suit was filed to stop an execution because the state was using a different drug than usual. The suit charged that this would be cruel and unusual punishment because the drug had not been approved by the FDA for use on humans.

Anyone know what the vets at the track use? If it is good enough for thoroughbreds, it is certainly good enough for rapists.

johnhannibalsmith
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM
In the case of sodium thiopental, I'm pretty sure that it is almost exclusively manufactured overseas and the home governments of the manufacturers have prohibited exportation for use in killing people.

Clocker
01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
In the case of sodium thiopental, I'm pretty sure that it is almost exclusively manufactured overseas and the home governments of the manufacturers have prohibited exportation for use in killing people.

That is what happened to the only source approved by the FDA. They can't use the same drug from any other maker until it is approved by the FDA for use by humans. :rolleyes:

The sodium-thiopental shortage became more serious when the lone U.S. manufacturer, Hospira Inc. of Lake Forest, Ill., announced it would no longer make the drug after authorities in Italy, where Hospira's factory is situated, demanded assurances the substance would not be used in executions.

Hospira is the only sodium-thiopental manufacturer approved by the Food and Drug Administration. And defense attorneys are sure to fight any attempt by states to deal with non-approved sources.

OntheRail
01-18-2014, 01:44 PM
That is what happened to the only source approved by the FDA. They can't use the same drug from any other maker until it is approved by the FDA for use by humans. :rolleyes:
Well then I believe they have a prison system full of death row candidates to do human testing on... fill 'em up and log the results. And piss on them and any fool for bring up cruel and unusual punishment. Did the POS have the same concerns for the victims they killed.... NO they wanted them to suffer pain and fear. Yep public hanging would be cheap as the rope could be recycled.

GaryG
01-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Yep public hanging would be cheap as the rope could be recycled.It would also be profitable. They could hold them in large stadiums and charge high prices for the best seats. Factor in the beer, hot dogs and t-shirts and you have some big bucks.

Saratoga_Mike
01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
It took almost 25 minutes for McGuire, who was executed for raping and murdering a 22-year-old pregnant newlywed, to die gasping and choking Thursday from a new combination of drugs that had never before been used in a U.S. execution. McGuire's family said Friday it intends to sue Ohio prison officials for what they called McGuire's "torture."

Fine, sue Ohio. If they prevail, all proceeds should go to the family of the woman he so savagely raped and murdered.

JustRalph
01-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Exactly right. I don't care. After he beat and raped this pregnant woman, he cut her throat and left her by a river bank if my memory is right.

How long did she suffer

Marshall Bennett
01-18-2014, 07:30 PM
And bill the family.
Liberals believe these killers have rights and shouldn't suffer. Even terrorist that kill thousands of our people both soldiers and civilians should be treated with respect and given rights. In a perfect world, Tom, they would be made to suffer and have no rights. They would be treated like shit in much the same manner as they treated their victims.

therussmeister
01-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Liberals believe these killers have rights and shouldn't suffer. Even terrorist that kill thousands of our people both soldiers and civilians should be treated with respect and given rights. In a perfect world, Tom, they would be made to suffer and have no rights. They would be treated like shit in much the same manner as they treated their victims.
In a perfect world there would be no rapists and murderers.

horses4courses
01-18-2014, 08:59 PM
3uSNKvTqIGA

Tom
01-19-2014, 09:48 AM
In a perfect world there would be no rapists and murderers.

It is our intent to achieve that goal.

Robert Goren
01-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Liberals believe these killers have rights and shouldn't suffer. Even terrorist that kill thousands of our people both soldiers and civilians should be treated with respect and given rights. In a perfect world, Tom, they would be made to suffer and have no rights. They would be treated like shit in much the same manner as they treated their victims.Actually it is a branch of the right to life crowd including the Catholic Church.

Tom
01-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Actually it is a branch of the right to life crowd including the Catholic Church.

And that is all?
Really?

Really?

Robert Goren
01-19-2014, 10:20 AM
And that is all?
Really?

Really?You need to take a look at who is filing the law suits and where they get their money. Sorry if the truth doesn't fit your agenda.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Actually, isn't it a desire to avoid litigation from the family of the condemned that drives all of this?

Actually it is a branch of the right to life crowd including the Catholic Church.

Bettowin
01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
A good old guillotine would do the trick quickly and painlessly. I have always wondered how long the person can actually see what is going on after the head leaves the body.

Valuist
01-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Even firing squads sometimes fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYV-qYeWPkk

LottaKash
01-20-2014, 05:07 PM
I just can't understand this debate on how "SAFELY" we kill a convicted murderer and rapist, yet we allow such things as abortion to be considered a "right"....I don't get it at all...:eek:

Robert Goren
01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Actually, isn't it a desire to avoid litigation from the family of the condemned that drives all of this?Never heard that before.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2014, 03:59 AM
Never heard that before.How could you not? The very story that generated this thread told of the family looking to sue due to the "pain and suffering" this guy "endured" as he was put to death.

thaskalos
01-21-2014, 04:25 AM
And bill the family.

There is no need for the state to bother with the execution of these animals (my apologies to the four-legged variety).

Just lock them up in a room with the families of the victims.

Marshall Bennett
01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
There is no need for the state to bother with the execution of these animals (my apologies to the four-legged variety).

Just lock them up in a room with the families of the victims.
:lol: And issue them weapons before-hand?