PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rosetta Stone

newtothegame
01-17-2014, 11:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had used any of the Rosetta Stone programs to learn a second language?
I am a few short weeks from obtaining my Bachelors of Science in Business (yes, I got a late start in life) lol.
But, I am thinking that adding a second language (Spanish) would be a benefit as well......
Your thoughts on the idea and the programs offered through Rosetta Stone?

Thanks in advance,.....

NTTG

fast4522
01-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Congratulations on completing your degree program, I would check out your local library for that software (just a thought).

thaskalos
01-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Fluenz puts Rosetta Stone to shame, IMO.

I have compared the Spanish and Italian versions of both...and Fluenz was the better choice, hands down.

redshift1
01-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Rosetta is reasonably priced, so not a big investment in case it doesn't work out. Immersion is popular now but carries a higher cost financially and time wise.

I took four years of French in my thirties and it was a bit of a slough especially working full time. It helps to be solid in your English grammar as I had to review conjugations, tenses and basic grammar.

If I had to learn it now I would opt for immersion because it's quicker.

TJDave
01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
If I had to learn it now I would opt for immersion because it's quicker.

Don't know about it being quicker but IMO it's the best way to learn.

I learned Spanish mainly through reading newspapers and watching TV. The Spanish soaps, telenovelas are a hoot!

The key with retaining any language is to use it. Once you have the basics make friends with a native speaker and practice.

ArlJim78
01-18-2014, 10:17 AM
No thoughts on Rosetta Stone, but did want to give congratulations on completing the degree. Not so easy to do when you start late.

iceknight
01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Congrats on the degree, the best way to learn a language is horizontally... ;)