PDA

View Full Version : Power Online Software

Vinnie
12-12-2001, 02:21 PM
Have any of you guys (or gals) out there ever heard of this one? They have a version entitled 3.0 that came out now too long ago. This group has been around since approximately 1991, and when I get their website I will re post.

Vinnie
12-12-2001, 07:28 PM
That website for the Poweronline if anyone cares to check it out can be found right here at http://www.poweronlinesoftware.com/
If anyone has ever tried any of their products, I would appreciate the feedback.

NormanTD
12-13-2001, 08:46 AM
I don't know about the software, but Jim Bayle (Sportstat) tested all of Wolson's methods on multi thousand races and of course, all lost. Now they were tested only as 100% mechanical - bet the one selected and don't think about it methods and we all know that doesn't work. I would think that the software is the same logic as the pen and paper methods, but just all rolled into one neat package.

I believe the Best-Bet method tested out as a net lose of only about 5% so for a mechanical system, that's not too bad but it's still a loss. I can't address how the products (software and pen and paper) would do if you could apply some reasonable thinking to them but there might be promise.

BTW, I believe DesertSea.com had a "mess" of Wolson's methods on sale for about $5 or $8 apiece. Not there now, I checked.

ranchwest
12-13-2001, 09:17 AM
Are you talking about picking every race or are some of these methods spot plays?

Picking every race, it would be difficult to come out well, but with spot plays you should be able to show a profit, even with a mechanical method.

Vinnie
12-13-2001, 12:27 PM
I appreciate you guys giving me some feedback on the Steve Wolson products. From what I understand this software is a combination of the "15" systems or spot plays that he has come up with at one time or or another in the past. A consensus is reached in a race if one can be arrived at, and he has also added some new dimension which can be cross referenced which he refers to as the "Black Box"! I was just wondering if anyone had tried it so they would have a very good overall feeling as to whether or not the software offering could be used as an effective tool in the handicapping process?

Thanks a bunch NormanTD!

NormanTD
12-14-2001, 08:53 PM
I don't think Wolson's methods play every race. Sometimes there are no horses that qualify but if you had a software program that combined all of his methods, you could very well have a play in almost every race.

I dug out my old sportstat spot lites and here are the results on Best Bets

15,888 races
4455 plays
1 play per 3.6 races
27.5% winners
Not purely mechanical (I didn't remember this part!)
In the money 62%
average odds 3.3 to 1
ROI -0.09

Jim's verdict and grade was * (one star)
Very good win percentage and a reputable vendor
Difficult to do with many subjective rules.

Since I used some Sport Stat data...

SportStat.com
1217 Torington Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89108
702-877-6633
Jim Bayle

Vinnie
12-14-2001, 10:31 PM
NormanTD,

Thanks very much for the informative response. You have passed on some very insightful information for me to digest with regard to the poweronline software. I believe that I have gained a better feel for what Mr. Wolson is trying to accomplish with his software in this offering.

Thanks a lot NormanTD!