PDA

View Full Version : Stupid poll: can you drive a stick?

JustRalph
01-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Just wondered. Saw a story about thieves who were foiled by standard transmission. With my estimate of the average age here, I'm going to say the majority can. ?

Actor
01-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Yes, I can. :cool:

Licensed at age 16, I first drove an automatic at age 24. Took me while to figure out why the car came to a screeching halt every time if put my foot on the clutch. :rolleyes:

Actor
01-17-2014, 05:41 AM
E0-nkpmjrI8

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Nope... but my younger brother can and I have come very close to learning on many an occasion, but always end up opting out for some reason.

GaryG
01-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't have anything else.

rastajenk
01-17-2014, 09:29 AM
My Fiat has a clutchless shifting option; it's automatic, but you can have a little more control in some situations, which is useful. But it seems to me that that would be a great way to introduce a manual to someone who's never done it.

Tom
01-17-2014, 09:41 AM
I used to drive them back in the 60s-70s, but I went through a lot of
clutches!

I had to learn because I drove truck for a few of my jobs.
I used to love to speed shift my Dodge Charger 440......young and foolish, but easily amused!

PhantomOnTour
01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Wouldn't have anything else.
I second that emotion - still drive a stick.

johnhannibalsmith
01-17-2014, 10:23 AM
I actually get mad at automatics, but after a decade or so of driving nothing but, I have a feeling that my knees would kick my ass if I went back to manual now.

And I actually know someone that had a car "stolen" from the track and made it less than a mile before they pretty much destroyed the transmission and gave up trying to learn to drive it.

Ocala Mike
01-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Saw that article myself, and laughed. I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with a stick, and got it for a good price used because nobody wanted a stick.

Red Knave
01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
I used to love to speed shift my Dodge Charger 440......young and foolish, but easily amused!
:)

I had a '67 Dart GT convertible, 273 4bbl 4 spd. At different times I had a '70 340 Challenger and a '79 400 Monaco. Never got up to the 440. ;)

My last 4 spd was a 1969 Camaro retrofitted with a 350 and a Hurst pistol grip shifter. The gas tank straps rusted out on it and if not for the wheel wells, the tank would have fallen out.

Unlike some, I wouldn't have another as a daily driver. Slushboxes are too good nowadays.

boxcar
01-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Saw that article myself, and laughed. I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with a stick, and got it for a good price used because nobody wanted a stick.

You're a man after me own heart. I have a 2003 Ranger that is stickshift.

Hold on to your Ranger. It's amazing how many people have asked my wife or me if we want to sell ours since Ford stopped making them.

Boxcar

badcompany
01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, but haven't done so for such a long time that I'd probably need a refresher class.

Tape Reader
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes. Both bike and car. Two BMWs. Never pass on an opportunity to do a doughnut in the snow.

Robert Goren
01-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I learn to drive with a stick on Farmall "H" tractor. I prefer automatics, but buy a stick if the price was right. I have owned both. Heck, I even had a push button Chrysler Newport.

johnhannibalsmith
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
My Fiat has a clutchless shifting option; it's automatic, but you can have a little more control in some situations, which is useful. But it seems to me that that would be a great way to introduce a manual to someone who's never done it.

The car that I drive now has this too. I messed with it the first few days and actually decided that the transmission seemed smoother shifting as a straight automatic than in "steptronic mode" (or whatever it is called).

Plus I scared the hell out of myself afraid that I would try to shift "up to fourth" at 6000 RPM and knock it down to second by accident... :)

Tom
01-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Never got up to the 440. ;)

440 4 barrel.
When I took off fro the stop light, the speedometer needle and the gas gage needle were synchronized in opposite directions! Never strayed too far from a gas station. Of course, it was what, 50 cents back then?

MEC
01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Liked "Tom's" post 17,,," the speedometer needle and the gas gage needle were synchronized in opposite directions! " :D :D :D

MEC

Steve 'StatMan'
01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
I used to. Would gladly again, if I ever drive again. (Never renewed licence, but vision is corrected now.)

wisconsin
01-17-2014, 01:17 PM
The first car I bought was a stick, owned one other later in life.

As far as car sales go, stick demand is few and far between.

mostpost
01-17-2014, 01:44 PM
My first two cars were stick shift. I traded in the last one in '63 or '64. Been driving automatics since. I suppose with practice I could do it again. It would not be pretty at the start.

OntheRail
01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Each and every day.

Tom had a 490 in a Ford Galaxie ... 4 on the floor would pass everything but a gas station.

Tom
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Pretty close.....loved those hood pins!

Marshall Bennett
01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Bought a Trans Am at an auction in Jacksonville, Fl. Was a 1976 model with a 455 (last year they were built with a 455) and had a 4 speed standard. After driving an hour or so my left foot would almost be numb. In the 2 years I owned it I changed out the clutch twice. After changing out the rear U joint several times I discovered it had a Chevy rear-end Really loved the car and it screamed, but almost wasn't worth the hassle keeping it running. To make matters worse the mag rear wheels kept breaking off lug nuts. Was my one and only sports car.

Zydeco
01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Car I learned to drive on and was my first car was a 65 Ford Falcon with 3 on the tree. Drove sticks on Rangers till I bought an auto on a 2002 Ranger.

Overlay
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
I didn't drive a standard until I was about 25, when my mom, who couldn't drive anymore because of her deteriorating eyesight, passed her 1979 VW Rabbit on to me. (Prior to that, I had driven a 1971 VW Super Beetle with an automatic stick shift between the front seats, but no clutch pedal.) The use and timing of the clutch took some getting accustomed to, but by the end of the 300-mile drive from Indianapolis (where my mom lived) back to northwestern Illinois (where I was working at the time), I had no difficulty. My next car after that (a 1984 Ford Tempo) was also a standard, but after I got married in 1986, all my subsequent cars were automatics, in hopes of making it easier for my wife to learn to drive. (She didn't get her license until 2005, however.)

jballscalls
01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Never had to drive a stick and the two times I did were a disaster. Our Daily Racing Form delivery truck is a stick and our driver was out so my boss asked me if i'd do the run. Sure I thought. I knew "how" to drive a stick, but the actual act of doing it was pathetic. Going from stop to moving resulted in stammering each time and I stalled it a couple of times. I got back to the track and practiced for a while in the parking lot and started to get the feel for it. But then a couple months later I filled in again and it was bad again.

HUSKER55
01-17-2014, 05:39 PM
I grew up on a stick and started working at 14. I had a 64 galaxy with a 390 interceptor in it. Tickets cost more than the insurance. Then I wised up and decided that the ride was more important. Interior design, stereo, seats made out into a bed. yep! I discovered girls! :D

kingfin66
01-17-2014, 05:47 PM
When I was 16 years old I took driver's ed. We learned with an auto transmission. The problem was that my family only had cars with manual transmissions. My dad taught me how to drive a stick the night before my driving test. I passed. Drove a stick for years, but have not owned one since about 2003.

ldiatone
01-17-2014, 06:28 PM
well how many can drive a stick on the "column"? the old trucks had 4speeds on the column. 3 fw gears and rev.
i drove a '58 fiat that sat 3 and i had to double clutch every gear and to start i turned the key than had to lift a "starter handel" that started the car!

Tom
01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
I drove a '47 Ford Pickup for while, at the Dairy. Column shifter.
My kidneys STILL hurt from the ride. Closest thing to Nellie Belle I ever came! :D

This would be about 1969-70.

fast4522
01-17-2014, 09:00 PM
I prefer a 5 speed, never need to replace the brakes.

Tape Reader
01-17-2014, 09:19 PM
well how many can drive a stick on the "column"?

While thinking about: gear, gas, brake, clutch, police, and owner?

elysiantraveller
01-17-2014, 09:55 PM
My first new car was a stick, my preference after driving an S10 5 speed. Don't have one now but still miss my 06 GTI. Next car, if the option is available, will be a stick shift.

JustRalph
01-17-2014, 11:00 PM
well how many can drive a stick on the "column"? the old trucks had 4speeds on the column. 3 fw gears and rev.
i drove a '58 fiat that sat 3 and i had to double clutch every gear and to start i turned the key than had to lift a "starter handel" that started the car!

3 on the tree. My favorite. Loved it. Drove an early 60's Chevy pickup one entire summer that was 3 on the tree.

NJ Stinks
01-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Every car I ever bought for myself is a stick including the VW Golf TDI I own now. (My wife's car is always an automatic even though she drives a stick.) I can honestly say I don't consider guiding an automatic to be my idea of driving.

One point of interest relating to this topic. When we go to England, my wife always wants to rent a stick because one pays more for an automatic car rental than a manual over there. You haven't lived until you've shifted with the stick on your left side and you, of course, driving from the right front seat. In the city of London.

That I haven't hit anyone or anything over there (yet) after all these years may be my greatest achievement. (I hope not but it's a legit nominee! ;) )

TJDave
01-18-2014, 02:08 AM
3 on the tree. My favorite. Loved it. Drove an early 60's Chevy pickup one entire summer that was 3 on the tree.

The best thing about column shifters is that usually meant a bench seat. ;)

Actor
01-18-2014, 03:25 AM
I can't find any poll of the general population which asks how many drivers can drive a stick, however, I did find one survey that says that 6.5% of cars on the road in the U.S. are stick shift.

My daughter bought my grandson a car with stick shift. He was forced to learn.

JustRalph
01-18-2014, 03:29 AM
The best thing about column shifters is that usually meant a bench seat. ;)

Her name was Karen, we were 16, I haven't thought of her in years.........and then you pull this shit :lol:

Actor
01-18-2014, 04:44 AM
My first car was a 1963 Triumph Spitfire. There was no sync on first gear so I would never down shift to first. I never learned to double clutch, although I tried.

When I bought the Spitfire one of the engine mounts was broken. I was unaware of this. The engine came to rest on the frame with the hydraulic line to the brakes sandwiched between the engine and the frame. The motion between the engine and the frame slowly wore away the brake line until it failed. I know the defect was present when I bought the car because after it was repaired there was a huge reduction of engine noise into the cabin.

Failure came one night in Alabama as I was going down a mountain road. Gravity began to accelerate the car and I realized that I had lost the brakes. I tried setting the hand brake but that did not help. I down shifting to second gear but there was no reduction in speed. I was familiar with the road and knew that the downward grade continued for another mile with an upcoming hairpin turn that I would never make at speed. I decided to try to double clutch into first gear, not caring if I destroyed the tranny in the process as long as it did not turn into a box full of neutrals. But the double clutch worked beautifully and the tranny slipped smoothly into first. When I released the clutch the engine screamed and the rear wheels screeched, engine braking the car so fast that the following car almost rear ended me. I nursed the car home at a crawl using the hand brake.

If the double clutch had not worked, or if the tranny turned into a box of neutrals, plan B was to put the car into the ditch. Better that than to drive into the wall of rock that faced the hairpin turn.

Rookies
01-18-2014, 09:39 AM
No... never did.

Segwin
01-18-2014, 10:21 AM
I've owned two Austin Healeys, Mark III 3000 and a Sprite, and an MGB. The only way to dive a spors car is with a stick.

My first car was a Studebaker Lark with a flat head six and three on the tree. That car was a tank.

hcap
01-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I've owned both. Do not drive anymore, but I would not own a stick in NYC

GaryG
01-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Her name was Karen, we were 16, I haven't thought of her in years.........and then you pull this shit :lol:It was a good sign when the young lady got in on the driver's side...

Rookies
01-18-2014, 10:57 AM
It was a good sign when the young lady got in on the driver's side...

No brainer... :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I learned how to drive with my dads 68 Ford pick-up, which was three on the tree, then i bought a Honda Civic when i was 17, which was standard.

After getting stuck in a few traffic jams on the highway i quickly realised that driving a stick blows if you live in the city, and my next vehicle was an automatic. Haven't driven a stick in decades, but if i ever had a sportscar it would definitely have a stick.

TJDave
01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I've owned two Austin Healeys, Mark III 3000 and a Sprite

Back in the 80's I had a Healey 100/4. IMO, the best looking car ever.

It's on my bucket redux list.

Segwin
01-18-2014, 08:03 PM

I traded my Mark III in on a 69 bug :bang: :bang: :bang:

wiffleball whizz
01-18-2014, 09:59 PM
On countless occasions my girlfriend now of 6 years(lots of time apart cuz of work) has offered me her Beamer as a present but I can't drive stick........you think I would learn but never had "the motivation".......

Factor that in with I could never hook up with another girl......as much of a scumbag as I am I couldn't justify it (even though it's 3/5 I would and I could justify it......

Maybe I'll learn

speed
01-18-2014, 10:30 PM
On countless occasions my girlfriend now of 6 years(lots of time apart cuz of work) has offered me her Beamer as a present but I can't drive stick........you think I would learn but never had "the motivation".......

Factor that in with I could never hook up with another girl......as much of a scumbag as I am I couldn't justify it (even though it's 3/5 I would and I could justify it......

Maybe I'll learn
3/5 you would pawn the Beamer. :)

Grits
01-18-2014, 10:42 PM

Indeed, TJDave. Had an Austin Healey 3000 for several years. The CLASSIC sports car. Also have owned--a Triumph TR6, two MGBs, two Corvettes, a Porsche 911 Carrera, along with several jeeps, 4 speed trucks, and motorcycles. (Only drove one of the latter.)

So, yeah, some of us girls can drive anything. 4 speed, 5 speed, on the column, in the floor, 4 wheel drive, whatever. Its a time thing--how vehicles have changed. Part of life. Needless to say, a sporty ride. ;)

JustRalph
01-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Indeed, TJDave. Had an Austin Healey 3000 for several years. The CLASSIC sports car. Also have owned--a Triumph TR6, two MGBs, two Corvettes, a Porsche 911 Carrera, along with several jeeps, 4 speed trucks, and motorcycles. (Only drove one of the latter.)

So, yeah, some of us girls can drive anything. 4 speed, 5 speed, on the column, in the floor, 4 wheel drive, whatever. Its a time thing--how vehicles have changed. Part of life. Needless to say, a sporty ride. ;)

Not surprised at all......... ;)

Richie
01-19-2014, 06:33 AM
the stick always got in the way of the smoking, drinking and girls back in the 70's, couldn't do it all, so the stick went ;)

maddog42
01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I used to drive them back in the 60s-70s, but I went through a lot of
clutches!

I had to learn because I drove truck for a few of my jobs.

Love Mopars!!

maddog42
01-19-2014, 12:11 PM
My job has me driving cars from various Car dealers to my company which is a detail shop. A couple of the newer guys cannot drive standard shifts. I nearly always tried to drive to the manual shifts, but occasionally, I would beg off and drive a BMW or something I wanted to drive. My reasoning is they
would need to learn some time. This pissed them off to no end. One even quit.

maddog42
01-19-2014, 12:23 PM

My boss asked me if I could drive a Stick. I replied in classic redneck/cowboy
"If it has wheels on it, I can drive it. If it has hair on it, I can ride it."He hired me on the spot. Saw that in some movie.

headhawg
01-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Two of my early new car purchases were four-bangers with 4-speeds. They were fun to drive, and the stick made me feel like I was actually driving and not just steering the car as most people seem to do. I always wanted a high performance car as I never had one when I was young. As a kid I was a "Chevy guy", but to tell the truth, I have a list of about 25 muscle cars I would love to own and they include Fords, Mopar, and some GM products. Unfortunately, trying to find a #1 or even a #2 driver-quality muscle car is in the $35 to $50K -- and up -- range. So couple of years ago I bought a Vette as a summer car -- a '99 with <21K on it. Stick, of course. :) Love it, even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

iceknight
01-19-2014, 11:47 PM
My boss asked me if I could drive a Stick. I replied in classic redneck/cowboy
"If it has wheels on it, I can drive it. If it has hair on it, I can ride it."He hired me on the spot. Saw that in some movie. Best line ever!! :ThmbUp:

>> JustRalph : Obviously it is not a stupid poll. By now you know that by responses, but I m not sure why you add that adjective in the beginning.. your style of humor?

>> Wiff: You gotta learn it. it is like bicycling or swimming, once you learn it you will not lose it. Ever better, learn clutch based driving on a scooter like vespa or a motorcycle.. then doing the car is easy.

>> GaryG -- I second your point.

>> NJStinks: same story in India, or rather I learnt there and then came here, so everytime I visit, it is a fun transition back..

>> Grits: I had never had any doubts what girls can do. In fact, here is an interesting titbit for the rest of the board...
This link: (relatively safe for work but it does have girls in swimsuits) http://www.girlsoftheserviceindustry.com/girl.php?id=16
"Something you are good at that a guy might find surprising: I have my CDL and can drive truck"
I found it surprising more because CDL holders are not common but not because she was a girl. So anyhow, in central PA a lot of girls as well as some guys have a healthy respect for people who drive stick and yesterday one girl who rode in my car with her friends made a comment "this is a stick, wow can't even feel it shifting, you drive well" - kinda made my day - wish proximity was there to hear that ;) "

>>hcap: NYC is not bad at all, yes traffic jams can be a pain but it is not a big deal. San Francisco with steep hills and stop signs at the top of the hill.. now that is a different story!

This is a great thread..
Currently I have a simple 2004 mitsubishi lancer es 5 spd. Just checked hwy mpg today: 36. quite happy. but I do a lot more city driving and idling, so god knows what the average is!
I have also had Civic 5 spd before and a Fiat Uno (in india)

HUSKER55
01-20-2014, 05:59 AM
does anyone remember the english cortina's from the mid '60's? They were a lot of fun. fun little car to play with. pretty snappy vehicle to play with.