PDA

View Full Version : $64 million wager - goes bust

iceknight
01-16-2014, 10:09 PM
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140116205043-64875646-yahoo-in-turmoil-ceo-mayer-fires-her-no-2-henrique-de-castro?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

In simple terms, the Yahoo CEO made a $39 million bet (with an additional $64 locked in to the pool) and got nothing in return.. that's all. Of course, it is now time to play another round of roulette with the next COO hire - if it is an external hire. If it is an internal move up, then it will not be a huge gamble.

ManU918
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I have a background in marketing (which means nothing) but Yahoo can go out and hire the best of the best and at this point I really don't think there is anything that can be done from a search standpoint. When a business sits down to discuss their online advertising budget, Yahoo is not even in the conversation. Its Google for search and Social (Facebook, Twitter, etc)... That's it. Yahoo has enough smart people working for them... They need to come up with a new idea or purchase a social network in the early stages (Similar to how Facebook purchased Instagram) to generate advertising dollars. I'm pulling for Mayer to turn it around. Not that I have any stock in Yahoo but it would be a cool story.

JustRalph
01-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Yahoo long ago contracted their search engine to Bing. They don't care about search. They care about ads on the yahoo home page. They have bragged in the past that 100 million people have the yahoo home page as their browser home page

They profit 300 million a quarter. I think they will be ok. Even though their revenue falls every quarter, they have enough money to acquire profit. Which is what Meyer has tried to do. Buying up other companies is the way

Remember, Mayer was passed over at Google and basically told she was done at google. She's a billionaire. She doesn't care. She's been pissing off the yahoo employees since early on. This should be interesting to watch play out. Lots of people in her own company who are not on her side

Clocker
01-17-2014, 12:01 AM
They have bragged in the past that 100 million people have the yahoo home page as their browser home page

I wonder how current that number is. I used to use it my home page because it was a good place to start for breaking news and local weather. I have given up on them because too much of the news headlines were People Magazine type stuff about gossip, celebs, etc. And the ads became intrusive, especially the animated graphics. I switched to Google News for a home page, which is straight news headlines and customizable by interests.

JustRalph
01-17-2014, 12:47 AM
I wonder how current that number is. I used to use it my home page because it was a good place to start for breaking news and local weather. I have given up on them because too much of the news headlines were People Magazine type stuff about gossip, celebs, etc. And the ads became intrusive, especially the animated graphics. I switched to Google News for a home page, which is straight news headlines and customizable by interests.

Cut that number in half, they still profit a ton of money. They are sometimes called an "inertia' company. They don't change much, they continue to exist despite themselves. They have lots of time left. There are still glaciers around......slowly creeping along. And speaking of Microsoft ..... :lol:

JustRalph
01-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Heads are rolling

She hacked another

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/16/confirmed-yahoos-editor-in-chief-is-out/