PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Computer playing audio

BombsAway Bob
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Ever since trying to log into Graze.com for their "Free Box" offer
posted in Entertainment Weekly magazine, my friends computer
has taken forever to log on/off, & there is constant audio playing
sounds like TD ads, songs, like someone is flipping a virtual remote.
After visiting Graze, they downloaded Google Chrome. Could
something have glommed onto the download, infecting computer?
Won't allow Windows updates. uses Windows 7.
Thanks for any ideas.
(Using Windows malicious software removal tool program on it now.)

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a possible browser hijack. System restore to before the Graze visit might help, but if it's really infected it will come back.

Control-alt-del to start the task manager and see what's running (services) might help pinpoint what's going on

BombsAway Bob
01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a possible browser hijack. System restore to before the Graze visit might help, but if it's really infected it will come back.

Control-alt-del to start the task manager and see what's running (services) might help pinpoint what's going on
i tried System Restore, but it only went back to Jan.15th,&
did nada.
Task Manager yielded little info.
Did learn that Windows Updates have not been getting thru,
& the 'reason code' says to update windows...
when i try to update Windows, it says it can't update
because, you got it, i don't have Windows updates...

JustRalph
01-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Somebody post that kick ass malware app that PA touts? I can't remember the name..........?

Bob, I would run the malware app......see what it finds. Sometimes a virus will stop updates from occurring in order to protect themselves. The fact that system restore only went back a day or so makes me suspicious also.

Corruption? Any power failures, lightning etc?

Try pulling the sound drivers from device manager restart the computer from a hard shut down, this should reload the sound drivers.

Report back.

Dave Schwartz
01-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Malware Bytes has the reputation of being the best. And free is fine.

Tom
01-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Bob, try to find out specifically what windows updates cant' download.
Then go to Add/Delete software and see if they are listed. Maybe there was a problem installing one and that could stop the download. If you see it, get rid of it then try to download it again.

headhawg
01-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Somebody post that kick ass malware app that PA touts? I can't remember the name..........? ComboFix? Hitman Pro?

JustRalph
01-18-2014, 12:22 AM
ComboFix? Hitman Pro?

Bingo!!

Hat tip to Big Mac......wherever you are :ThmbUp:

Thanks Hawg!

BombsAway Bob
01-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Somebody post that kick ass malware app that PA touts? I can't remember the name..........?

Bob, I would run the malware app......see what it finds. Sometimes a virus will stop updates from occurring in order to protect themselves. The fact that system restore only went back a day or so makes me suspicious also.

Corruption? Any power failures, lightning etc?

Try pulling the sound drivers from device manager restart the computer from a hard shut down, this should reload the sound drivers.

Report back.
Spent Last night sifting thru Microsoft & XFinity info.
Noticed that CPU was high for McAffee stuff installed.
Thing is, Comcast switched to NORTON, & i never
activated McAffee when it was used by COmcast.
Uniinstalled all the McAffee programs, &
as of now...
everything seems to be working OK.
Computer says it is getting Windows updates...
Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks to all, as i am a Computer Dummy.

Longshot6977
01-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Spent Last night sifting thru Microsoft & XFinity info.
Noticed that CPU was high for McAffee stuff installed.
Thing is, Comcast switched to NORTON, & i never
activated McAffee when it was used by COmcast.
Uniinstalled all the McAffee programs, &
as of now...
everything seems to be working OK.
Computer says it is getting Windows updates...
Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks to all, as i am a Computer Dummy.

You don't have to be a 'computer dummy' to realize that McAfee (Crapafee) stuff should not be installed on your PC. Most of their stuff is a CPU/memory hog that slows down your pc among other things. We hope your friend's PC stays healthy.
Many PC slowdowns are caused by poorly designed antivirus apps that over burden the memory and hog CPU cycles. Some cause memory leaks too. Try free Microsoft Security Essentials or free Malwarebytes. They don't seem to be memory/cpu hogs like Crapafee and Norton.

And watch the Windows Updates; choose the option to notify you, but not install without your permission.

JustRalph
01-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Good catch Bob :ThmbUp:

That stuff is crap........

BombsAway Bob
02-01-2014, 04:30 PM
While Playing on GSN.com, the computer had this ominous
pop-up window, purporting to be windows defender,
Saying three Bot/Hack/Virus's were on it, & to
download this program to remove them before computer
crashes (& presumably burns)...
but it had an internet explorer address beginning with
http:/zwindows, something i'd never seen before.
i didn't trust to download. so i just shut computer down.
Would a Window protection program just pop up like that
without running a scan of some sort.
(PS, scans that i ran over last week came up clean.)
Still won't accept a zillion windows updates, so i really
thought it odd that it would detect these virus's.
Another Scam artist, or is something like this legit
'defender' program?
Thanks for advice in advance.

JustRalph
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-defender

Windows defender info.

I would still be suspicious. Go into add/remove programs etc and see if "windows defender is installed on this machine. Might even do it in safe mode

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safe-mode-windows-7.htm

Something's kicking this cycle off..........finding out what is the question

Longshot6977
02-02-2014, 12:21 PM
While Playing on GSN.com, the computer had this ominous
pop-up window, purporting to be windows defender,
Saying three Bot/Hack/Virus's were on it, & to
download this program to remove them before computer
crashes (& presumably burns)...
but it had an internet explorer address beginning with
http:/zwindows, something i'd never seen before.
i didn't trust to download. so i just shut computer down.
Would a Window protection program just pop up like that
without running a scan of some sort.
(PS, scans that i ran over last week came up clean.)
Still won't accept a zillion windows updates, so i really
thought it odd that it would detect these virus's.
Another Scam artist, or is something like this legit
'defender' program?
Thanks for advice in advance.

This is what a 'drive'by' virus may do to you on certain websites. It makes you think you're actual AV app ran it and announces a virus to you so unsuspecting victims will download the bad payload. Yes, it's a scam and malware. Download and run free Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. They give free daily updates too.

Read these informative articles, just don't use CrapAfee though.
https://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/drive-by-download

http://www.cio.com/article/699970/6_Ways_to_Defend_Against_Drive_by_Downloads

headhawg
02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Download and run free Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.Malwarebytes is fine (although I think the free version is scan only; doesn't run in the background), but MSE is NOT good protection. It ranks dead last in tests from AV Comparatives and AV-Test labs. If you want free AV protection you need something like Avast or AVG but pay versions generally protect better.

Robert Goren
02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Malwarebytes is fine (although I think the free version is scan only; doesn't run in the background), but MSE is NOT good protection. It ranks dead last in tests from AV Comparatives and AV-Test labs. If you want free AV protection you need something like Avast or AVG but pay versions generally protect better. I have very good luck with MSE. It is on my computers because it got rid a virus nothing else including hitman could once. I don't trust those rating services. I think they are selling something. Sort of like rating services of off shore books.

Longshot6977
02-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Malwarebytes is fine (although I think the free version is scan only; doesn't run in the background), but MSE is NOT good protection. It ranks dead last in tests from AV Comparatives and AV-Test labs. If you want free AV protection you need something like Avast or AVG but pay versions generally protect better.

I also run the free Bitdefender and AVG. Very good at detection and removal. They were rated high on AV Comparatives tests and PCMag likes them too. I had forgotten I had AVG on my PC, running a scan right now with it.

You really can't avoid the drive-by issues Bob, so just be sure you have several good AV apps to remove them. Scan your system every week or every few days and be sure to get the free signature updates frequently.:)

headhawg
02-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I have very good luck with MSE. It is on my computers because it got rid a virus nothing else including hitman could once. I don't trust those rating services. I think they are selling something. Sort of like rating services of off shore books.Believe what you want. But think about this -- why do you think that MSE takes up less resources than other AV programs? Because the people at M$ are such efficient coders? Hardly. It's because MSE isn't as effective. And I hardly think that MSE is better than Hitman so you better be relying on your luck.

PaceAdvantage
02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Believe what you want. But think about this -- why do you think that MSE takes up less resources than other AV programs? Because the people at M$ are such efficient coders? Hardly. It's because MSE isn't as effective. And I hardly think that MSE is better than Hitman so you better be relying on your luck.Hitman, MSE and Malwarebytes. That's what I've used for years...

And never real time... :lol:

gregrph
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
My son had a similar problem with his win 7 machine. Go to www.bleepingcomputer.com, register and then post in their forums. They are VERY good at helping get rid of nasty virii.

BombsAway Bob
02-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Hitman, MSE and Malwarebytes. That's what I've used for years...

And never real time... :lol:
Added Malwarebytes. Quick Scan found nothing,
but on Full Scan (after a few times freezing & 'not responding')
it ran the full scan & found two items. One had a tagname that
seemed to include the idea of fake warning in it.
The other was a game registry for something she was playing.
Fingers crossed, items removed,
hopefully things work out for her now.
Thanks to all for the help.

Longshot6977
02-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Added Malwarebytes. Quick Scan found nothing,
but on Full Scan (after a few times freezing & 'not responding')
it ran the full scan & found two items. One had a tagname that
seemed to include the idea of fake warning in it.
The other was a game registry for something she was playing.
Fingers crossed, items removed,
hopefully things work out for her now.
Thanks to all for the help.

Good going Bob. Malwarebytes catches lots of crap. Be sure to keep it updated on a daily basis or so. Don't be afraid to run another full scan to catch anything the 1st viruses may have been locking.:)