PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to Netflix?

JustRalph
01-14-2014, 11:27 PM
http://t.nbcnews.com/technology/verizon-wins-net-neutrality-loses-court-ruling-opens-door-tiered-2D11922702

This is a big deal. And nobody knows it...........

Get ready to pay more.........or step backwards on your internet speed

lamboguy
01-15-2014, 02:08 AM
http://t.nbcnews.com/technology/verizon-wins-net-neutrality-loses-court-ruling-opens-door-tiered-2D11922702

This is a big deal. And nobody knows it...........

Get ready to pay more.........or step backwards on your internet speed
NFLX went out last night at $337 per share.

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Yep, when Comcast (owners of NBC) decide that Netflix is going to have to pay a premium for bandwidth, that may change.

Then Comcast can also charge the home user extra for receiving Netflix.

It will be a different world. A packet is no longer just a packet anymore

wilderness
01-15-2014, 02:33 AM
It will be a different world. A packet is no longer just a packet anymore

Ralph,
In many instances that hasn't been so for nearly twenty-years.

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Ralph,
In many instances that hasn't been so for nearly twenty-years.

Agreed. But now it's legally affirmed. That provides cover.

BIG49010
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I recently got a Roku and chopped my cable down, seems like every time I figure out how to save, they figure out how to screw me!

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 09:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/tech/web/net-neutrality-explained/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

More info

pandy
01-15-2014, 11:23 PM
I switched back to cable (RCN) last year since they have fiber optic. I would think cable companies that have fiber optic internet service would benefit if streaming becomes more expensive. Right now cable, Dish and Direct TV are losing customers every year as users drop traditional TV in favor of cheap streaming services like Netflix.

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 11:32 PM
I canceled my cable-FIOS today. Kept their internet. 2nd tier 50 down/35 up
94 bucks a month.

I was paying 210 a month for 35down/10 up plus a mid tier cable package (no HBO etc)

Saved a hundred buck+ a month. Netflix n Hulu n Amazon here I come.

PaceAdvantage
01-16-2014, 02:28 AM
$94 a month for nothing but 2nd tier internet? Doesn't sound right to me...

JustRalph
01-16-2014, 03:19 AM
$94 a month for nothing but 2nd tier internet? Doesn't sound right to me...

It's higher because I refused to sign a contract. Month to month. Probably be moving in 30-90 days.......

R

fast4522
01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
JR,

I recall a thread that you started about a new wireless technology being used in other parts of the world that was much faster and or cheeper, some of the details I am missing but did look for the thread with no luck. I know this has nothing to do with the new ruling, but thinking the new ruling may have some effect on that technology coming here. At any rate do you have any news for that technology and can you provide links about it?

pandy
01-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Right now I'm paying RCN $155 a month for a bunble of high speed (25mbps) fiber optic internet, land line phone, and cable tv with Showtime and that includes unlimited file back up (which RCN charges $5 a month for) that automatically backs up all of my documents including video, photo, music files. When Showtime goes up to regular price in April I'll drop it and save $5.00. Before this I had a Verizon bundle that had much slower DSL internet, no file backup, and cost about $30 more a month. But with streaming being so cheap, I understand why people are dropping cable or satellite TV. But my experience has been, if you don't have very fast internet, such as fiber optic, streaming quality isn't that good and I like to have the best possible picture since I have so much invested in audio visual equipment.

For Christmas I bought a relatively inexpensive Epson Projector and a 110 inch screen, total cost of both only $700, and the picture quality is amazing. I can watch NFL games or movies and it's like I'm sitting in a sports bar or a movie theater.

RCN also has Netflix streaming, right though their fiber optic cable so you get better quality. I haven't tried it yet.

dlivery
01-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Was wondering about how the cable verses fibre optic get the speed when they still supply the feed through traditional cable wire.

Up here in Ontario Rogers and Bell have the service and Bell has been pushing to get some business from rogers with the Fibe TV and do not see how Bell can say we have faster connection with cable lines into homes.

:3x:

pandy
01-16-2014, 08:32 AM
When I had Verizon DSL I was paying for their faster DSL service and download speeds were literally 10 times slower than RCN's fiber optic. But even with fiber optic cable, the speed is slower if a lot of people in the area get it.

lamboguy
01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
i would say that stores like walgreens and CVS are at the top of whatever they are, they are going to decrease in sales too. all those 2 stores have done in the last decade is stick people up. you can go online and buy the same stuff from Costco, Wallmart and Amazon.com for much less than these thieves. i noticed that both these company's have redone all their stores with large parking lots. when you see those lots empty you know you can short these overpriced stocks.

other stores like sears and best buy might be in trouble too.

things constantly change and you have to be on top of them at all times.

Robert Goren
01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
There is doubt that Best Buy is already in trouble. They complain of people going into their stores to eyeball products and then buying them online.

If you told somebody 30 years ago that they would be paying $150-$200+ for cable tv , they would have said you were crazy. I have got to admit I don't understand some of it. There are people paying an extra $30 a month for a tier that they only watch one show on once a week.

pandy
01-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Best Buy was one of the hottest stocks on the big board last year. They got a new CEO, Hubert Joly, and he made several changes, one of which was matching Amazon's price. My sons both work for Best Buy, as does my daughter in law. My oldest son is in meetings with the CEO this week. He wanted to talk to the companies top store managers so they took the 9 best in the country and sent them to Minnesota for the meetings. This guy gets it.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/11/06/new-ceo-single-handedly-turning-best-buy-around/

Robert Goren
01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
The Best Buy here is moving to new smaller place. It will have the same size show room, but less warehouse space. The last time I was to one, I had to track down a clerk and then stand in line for 20 minutes while three fourths the cash registers were closed. That kind of thing drives me nuts. That's been the way things have been at the Best Buy here for years.

pandy
01-16-2014, 09:51 AM
It's the management in that particular store. If you go to my son's store in King of Prussia, the sales people are knowledgeable and eager to help you and during busy times there are plenty of people working. But my son is a hands on manager who has earned the respect of his employees. He's not condescending to them and when it's busy, he's out on the floor helping customers or helping sales associates and other managers. That's why he's one of the top managers in the country. But of course when he started out as a sales associate making $9 an hour, he had very good leadership in his region, and they saw that he was a great salesman and communicator so they trained him to be a leader. It all comes down to leadership. You look at a store like Sears, terrible management team.

Tom
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm dumping most of my cable end of the month.
$240 a month is ridiculous. That include internet, but still.....
I get Netflix movies by mail - DVD - works for me. Cheap, too!
I've got Dish on one room, for TVG/HTRV. I can always add a tier to that for peanuts compared to TWC.

raybo
01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Cable Internet (Northland) - 2nd tier speed- $64
DirectTV - 2nd Tier programming ( no HBO, Cinemax, etc.) - $75
Netflix - Streaming only - $9
Free VOIP landline phone - $0
Cell service - pay as you go - $20-$40

Total - 168$ - $188