PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Super Horse

horses4courses
01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Will anyone in the US step in and buy this impressive Brazilian 3yo?
Bal A Bali, when winning the first leg of their Triple Crown on Sunday,
came very close to breaking the world record for a mile on grass.

When looking at race replay, he's # :5: (wearing breast plate).

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82831/brazilian-colt-nearly-sets-world-record

DnOM_FcAyDg

chadk66
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
wowsa

taxicab
01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
7 for 8 lifetime.
His bloodlines are so so.
He tilts towards a Miler with Honor and Glory on the top side, and Ogygian floating around the bottom side.
Perhaps he appears in Dubai if he's sold.
The timing would be right.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/bal+a+bali

horses4courses
01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
wowsa

I know nothing about Brazilian racing.
No idea how firm, or otherwise, that turf was.
I'm pretty sure the opposition wasn't the greatest.
But....it's easy to see that this colt covers a lot of ground with ease.

Maybe a sheik, or Coolmore, will be interested.

HuggingTheRail
01-15-2014, 01:10 AM
Wow, he sure waxed the field...

funnsss1
01-15-2014, 01:59 AM
The first real horse race ive seen in years guess im moving to brazil.The American race establishment should all watch that video and start racing for real the game would explode Ill bet.

RXB
01-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Top side is sprinter-miler breeding; there is some 10f hope on the bottom side. Most likely to prefer 8f-9f, I'd say.

That was an impressive performance. Brazil does not generally feature top class competition but that horse really looked strong. Did everything you'd want a top grass miler to do; broke very quickly but rated acceptably while maintaining a tracking early position and then blew past the leaders and drew off with complete authority in the last quarter.

funnsss1
01-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Notice when the race starts all the jockeys are riding there horses the same to let the horse decide where they are by the first turn not the jockey deciding where he wants the horse to be so he can either be in the money or not.Also how fluid the race unfolded not any starts and stops like American racing which is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill.

appistappis
01-15-2014, 02:18 AM
why all the attacks on american racing....couldn't this just be a nice horse story???

classhandicapper
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Wise Dan was quoted as saying, "Easy trip sitting off the duel, beat nothing, I'm shaaaaaking....NOT".

Seriously, visually he finished really well, but who knows what the quality of those horses is, not me.

chadk66
01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
the track looked pretty firm. did anybody catch the fractions. looked fairly quick though. but that horse finished the last quarter rather fast it appeared. the big question would be how he would handle the cuppy track at CD. good probability he not like it much but who knows.

iceknight
01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
the track looked pretty firm. did anybody catch the fractions. looked fairly quick though. but that horse finished the last quarter rather fast it appeared. the big question would be how he would handle the cuppy track at CD. good probability he not like it much but who knows. Isnt BC at Santa Anita again in 2014?

woodtoo
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Isnt BC at Santa Anita again in 2014?

He may need a race before the Breeders Cup. :D

precocity
01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
wow hope they don't use peds overthere? he smoked their azz!

precocity
01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Notice when the race starts all the jockeys are riding there horses the same to let the horse decide where they are by the first turn not the jockey deciding where he wants the horse to be so he can either be in the money or not.Also how fluid the race unfolded not any starts and stops like American racing which is as phoney as a 3 dollar bill.
whizz would love this quote!!!! :lol:

the other day I pm lambo about a south american stakes race I think it was in chile, they had cheerleaders and orchestra playing before the race, and when he went to the winner circle it was like the horse was president of the country!!! :lol:

iceknight
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
valid point.. I guess we are talking fourstardave etc, right?

Mystic
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
whizz would love this quote!!!! :lol:

the other day I pm lambo about a south american stakes race I think it was in chile, they had cheerleaders and orchestra playing before the race, and when he went to the winner circle it was like the horse was president of the country!!! :lol:

I like it when everyone and their Mother gets to take an individual winning photo with the horse. Pretty comical really.

JustRalph
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Midnight Lute?

SharpCat
01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Wise Dan was quoted as saying, "Easy trip sitting off the duel, beat nothing, I'm shaaaaaking....NOT".

Seriously, visually he finished really well, but who knows what the quality of those horses is, not me.

After sleeping on it Wise Das was quoted as saying, "Easy trip sitting of the duel, beat nothing, sounds like my trip in the Woodbine Mile"

woodtoo
01-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Midnight Lute?

Wasn't referring to any horse in particular,just that he may need a race.
I did like Midnight Lute thou.

chadk66
01-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Isnt BC at Santa Anita again in 2014?
he is a three year old apparently so I'm assuming the Derby

maclr11
01-16-2014, 12:27 AM
he is a three year old apparently so I'm assuming the Derby

South American 3yo so North American 4yo
No derby for him

That was visually impressive though.

JustRalph
01-16-2014, 02:28 AM
Wasn't referring to any horse in particular,just that he may need a race.
I did like Midnight Lute thou.

I think Midnight Lute had only one race the last year he won the Breeders Cup. Doing this from memory though. Monmouth?

chadk66
01-16-2014, 07:50 AM
South American 3yo so North American 4yo
No derby for him

That was visually impressive though.
pisser. guess I never thought about that. but when you really think about it, no two year old just turn three could run like that. ;) I hit up turf paradise yesterday. rediscovered why I didn't bet much :D

PhantomOnTour
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Bal A Bali completed the sweep and became Brazil's 12th Triple Crown winner on Sunday, while setting another track record :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Would love to see him come to the USA.

luisbe
03-18-2014, 11:25 PM
As said Bal a Bali won the triple crown for 3yo, the race shown above was the first at 1 Mile, the second was at 1 1/4 (1:59.25) and the third at 1 1/2 (2:23.25), all in 40 days on turf.

goatchaser
03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
This Temple offensive Lineman is faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvJDUZ6tCM

mostpost
03-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Does anyone know, would this horse be eligible for our Triple Crown. The Universal birthday for horses born in the Southern Hemisphere is August 1. So he was born sometime after August 1, 2010. He turned three August 1, 2013 and will not turn four until August 1, 2014. So he will technically still be a three year old when our triple crown races are run.

On the other hand he will be six months older than the other horses and has already run and won races at a mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. Maybe someone who knows more about this subject can enlighten me.

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know, would this horse be eligible for our Triple Crown. The Universal birthday for horses born in the Southern Hemisphere is August 1. So he was born sometime after August 1, 2010. He turned three August 1, 2013 and will not turn four until August 1, 2014. So he will technically still be a three year old when our triple crown races are run.

On the other hand he will be six months older than the other horses and has already run and won races at a mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. Maybe someone who knows more about this subject can enlighten me.

If he was born in 2010 he is considered a four year old in this hemisphere. Look at the conditions for the UAE Derby. It is open to 3yos and 4yos from the Southern Hemisphere. They have to make that specification or the horses considered 3 from the south would not be eligible.

mostpost
03-19-2014, 01:02 AM
If he was born in 2010 he is considered a four year old in this hemisphere. Look at the conditions for the UAE Derby. It is open to 3yos and 4yos from the Southern Hemisphere. They have to make that specification or the horses considered 3 from the south would not be eligible.
Thanks. Kind of what I figured. It would be good if he could come for the Breeders Cup.

Some_One
03-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Thanks. Kind of what I figured. It would be good if he could come for the Breeders Cup.

He'll need to win one of the WAYI races otherwise the supplement fee and travel costs (which would be waived/reduced) would probably too much for the connections.

horses4courses
03-19-2014, 09:32 AM

So, I assume that in 1971, Canonero II was young enough to qualify?
Or, are the rules different since then?

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 09:40 AM
So, I assume that in 1971, Canonero II was young enough to qualify?
Or, are the rules different since then?

He was born in 1968, so yes he was young enough

horses4courses
03-19-2014, 10:01 AM
He was born in 1968, so yes he was young enough

Thanks.

That must have been a very gutsy move by the connections.
Up until August 1st, he would still have been a 2yo in S.America, right?

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks.

That must have been a very gutsy move by the connections.
Up until August 1st, he would still have been a 2yo in S.America, right?

He was bred in the US on the Northern Hemisphere timetable and thus would have been young for his age group when he was sent to South America. Think May born colt trying to compete on the TC trail to get an idea. However coming back up here he fit right into his group.

Mystic
03-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Sure would liven up the derby picture if the connections do decide to take a chance. To possibly win the Triple crown in not just one, but two countries/Hemispheres?!

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Sure would liven up the derby picture if the connections do decide to take a chance. To possibly win the Triple crown in not just one, but two countries/Hemispheres?!

It would liven up quite a bit as he is considered a 4yo here.

outofthebox
03-19-2014, 11:51 AM
He should be eligible for the UA Derby, correct? I remember DeKock bringing some So Hem runners to Dubai...

Mystic
03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Oh.. Well there goes that pipe dream :D

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 12:08 PM
He should be eligible for the UA Derby, correct? I remember DeKock bringing some So Hem runners to Dubai...

Yes. As above, 4yos that qualify as Southern Hemisphere 3yos can run and often do quite well in that race.

cj
03-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes. As above, 4yos that qualify as Southern Hemisphere 3yos can run and often do quite well in that race.

Kind of interesting that the race is awarded Kentucky Derby points when a lot of the field isn't even eligible for the race.

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Kind of interesting that the race is awarded Kentucky Derby points when a lot of the field isn't even eligible for the race.

It's pretty straight forward. Godolphin wants to win the Derby. Godolphin spends a boatload of money in Kentucky. So they get their own race to get a qualifier or two. And so the world turns....

Fager Fan
03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
It's pretty straight forward. Godolphin wants to win the Derby. Godolphin spends a boatload of money in Kentucky. So they get their own race to get a qualifier or two. And so the world turns....

And it's not even run on dirt. The way CD structured this new system to aid the Sheikh, keep deserving fillies out, and punish their enemies is really rather disgusting.

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
And it's not even run on dirt. The way CD structured this new system to aid the Sheikh, keep deserving fillies out, and punish their enemies is really rather disgusting.

Not really. They own the race and everyone wants in. People keep saying tracks need to be more business like. There you go.

nijinski
03-19-2014, 07:08 PM
7 for 8 lifetime.
His bloodlines are so so.
He tilts towards a Miler with Honor and Glory on the top side, and Ogygian floating around the bottom side.
Perhaps he appears in Dubai if he's sold.
The timing would be right.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/bal+a+bali

Broodmare sire is very interesting . Certainly Classic distance there .

Irish Boy
03-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Not really. They own the race and everyone wants in. People keep saying tracks need to be more business like. There you go.
Seriously.

"We need fewer tracks!"

"What about poor Hawthorne and the Illinois Derby!!!"

Fager Fan
03-19-2014, 09:54 PM

There's nothing less sporting than a track keeping horses out of races due to personal agendas. They can conduct business without losing sporting ideals.

OTM Al
03-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Sporting? Ok........

nijinski
03-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Hopefully Bloodhorse will pick up in English soon.

From Raialeve.com.
It interprets to Besilu purchase of 80 percent which puts Mott in the picture !

O experiente treinador Dulcino Milanês Guignoni não se mostrou abatido com a venda de 80% dos direitos do craque Bal a Bali, do Stud Alvarenga, para a Besilu Stables LLC, do cubano Benjamim Leon Jr. O fato de o cavalo não atuar mais no Brasil foi encarado, por ele, com naturalidade. O profissional admitiu que se o cavalo fosse de sua propriedade teria feito o mesmo. Guignoni argumenta que, no turfe brasileiro, não há páreos com dotações compatíveis às competições internacionais e que já esperava algum tipo de proposta pelo craque depois de Bal a Bali ter conquistado a Tríplice Coroa carioca..

Mystic
03-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Hopefully Bloodhorse will pick up in English soon.

From Raialeve.com.
It interprets to Besilu purchase of 80 percent which puts Mott in the picture !

O experiente treinador Dulcino Milanês Guignoni não se mostrou abatido com a venda de 80% dos direitos do craque Bal a Bali, do Stud Alvarenga, para a Besilu Stables LLC, do cubano Benjamim Leon Jr. O fato de o cavalo não atuar mais no Brasil foi encarado, por ele, com naturalidade. O profissional admitiu que se o cavalo fosse de sua propriedade teria feito o mesmo. Guignoni argumenta que, no turfe brasileiro, não há páreos com dotações compatíveis às competições internacionais e que já esperava algum tipo de proposta pelo craque depois de Bal a Bali ter conquistado a Tríplice Coroa carioca..

This is the translation in English:

"The experienced coach Dulcino Milanese Guignoni was not shot down by selling 80% of the rights to ace Bal Bali Stud Alvarenga, for Besilu Stables LLC, the Cuban Benjamin Leon Jr. The fact that the horse does not act more in Brazil was seen by him naturally. The trader admitted that the horse was his property would have done the same. Guignoni argues that the Brazilian turf, there is no match with compatible allocations to international competitions and was expecting some kind of proposal by ace after Bal Bali have won the Triple Crown .. Rio"

Still doesn't make sense :D

nijinski
03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
This is the translation in English:

"The experienced coach Dulcino Milanese Guignoni was not shot down by selling 80% of the rights to ace Bal Bali Stud Alvarenga, for Besilu Stables LLC, the Cuban Benjamin Leon Jr. The fact that the horse does not act more in Brazil was seen by him naturally. The trader admitted that the horse was his property would have done the same. Guignoni argues that the Brazilian turf, there is no match with compatible allocations to international competitions and was expecting some kind of proposal by ace after Bal Bali have won the Triple Crown .. Rio"

Still doesn't make sense :D
It could be he's going to Royal Delta LOL .

nijinski
07-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Will anyone in the US step in and buy this impressive Brazilian 3yo?
Bal A Bali, when winning the first leg of their Triple Crown on Sunday,
came very close to breaking the world record for a mile on grass.

When looking at race replay, he's # :5: (wearing breast plate).

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82831/brazilian-colt-nearly-sets-world-record

DnOM_FcAyDg

The original deal fell through so now it's official .Bal a Bali was
purchased by Fox Hill Farm and Rick Porter said the horse will
likely go to Mandella's barn . Looking forward to the US debut !

Thomas Roulston
07-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Well I do know one thing:

Brazil could sure use a super something after what happened to their soccer team at the World Cup!

Appy
07-19-2014, 11:48 AM
What a fun race to watch! Nice ride by the jock, and IMO that horse was PLAYING, frolicking, from last pole to the line.
Not much for galloping out, are they?
Those who say handicapping is nothing but "a numbers game" do not get it.

whodoyoulike
07-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know at what distance the race was run in post #52?

Thanks.

whodoyoulike
07-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Never mind, I didn't see the Bloodhorse article link.

nearco
07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know at what distance the race was run in post #52?

Thanks.
1600 meters, about 30ft short of a mile.

nijinski
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Fox Hill and Siena Farms purchased him and he's going to Mandella .
I love his quote from Bloodhorse

"I just got a call asking me if I would take him," Mandella said. He added, with typical Mandella dry humor: "I guess they hadn't checked my record at Del Mar this year."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/86537/mandella-awaits-brazilian-crown-winner#ixzz39HyxDnuj

horses4courses
08-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Looking forward to seeing him.
Looks like one prep in Sept., or early Oct., then on to BC.

The question is - will he run in the Mile, or the Turf?
Unusual to have those options for a horse.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eiYG3IJKb4I/UVju_Qf9sXI/AAAAAAABSE0/4YLGGaU6Dc4/s640/0101+BRASIL+4.jpg

Fager Fan
08-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Looking forward to seeing him.
Looks like one prep in Sept., or early Oct., then on to BC.

The question is - will he run in the Mile, or the Turf?
Unusual to have those options for a horse.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eiYG3IJKb4I/UVju_Qf9sXI/AAAAAAABSE0/4YLGGaU6Dc4/s640/0101+BRASIL+4.jpg

I don't guess they'll experiment this year but there's plenty of dirt running through that pedigree. Will be interesting to see how he works over dirt.

Mystic
08-03-2014, 11:59 AM
I hope he can transfer his apparent greatness over here. Can't wait to see him run :)

horses4courses
08-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Flying on Friday

Fox Hill Farm ‏@Fox_Hill_Farm 7m
Bal a Bali is scheduled on a Friday morning flight to California.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Fingal
08-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Oh crap................

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/brazilian-triple-crown-winner-bal-a-bali-battling-laminitis/

In this release sent out on Sunday, Fox Hill Farms reported that Bal a Bali, winner of the 2014 Brazilian Triple Crown and scheduled to ship to trainer Richard Mandella to race in America, had developed laminitis and was at a clinic receiving care.

We have a Bal a Bali update that we’d rather not be making. He was scheduled to fly out to Richard Mandella over the weekend, but a small lameness issue cropped up nearing the end of last week. We’ve been proactive at every stage, including sending him to the nearest clinic when he was first noticed lame, but as of yesterday, it was confirmed that we are battling laminitis. We have the vets from Palm Beach Equine as well as Rood & Riddle working on him, and we’ve brought in a mobile cold water pool for him. The news was fairly positive today and we hope that it continues to be positive over the coming days. We’d like to thank Dr. Davis, Dr. Dryden, and everyone else who has been tending to Bal a Bali for all their hard work and dedication to seeing him become well. We hope you’ll send good thoughts to the horse and his team.

horses4courses
08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
That's just awful.....sure hope he survives this.

Really wanted to see him run, but getting the horse through this
is the only concern now.

nijinski
08-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I read this a few minutes ago from the Fox Hill update . He has the best vets
attending to him . I hope he can fight this battle . Very sad news .

iceknight
08-12-2014, 06:01 PM
This is tough news and I heard about it on twitter on 11th. Here's hoping and praying for a thorough recovery for this guy.

horses4courses
08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
No real change, as of yesterday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/86720/bal-a-bali-being-treated-for-laminitis

nijinski
08-12-2014, 10:17 PM
No real change, as of yesterday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/86720/bal-a-bali-being-treated-for-laminitis

Facebook post from Fox Hill a little more hopeful .

Fox Hill Farm

12 hours ago

Bal a Bali update: "All is well with Bal a Bali. We rested for a couple hours as the tank re-cooled last night. Lameness seems improved. Plan to do x-rays at the same time as the stem cell procedure this evening. Will keep you updated.

Mystic
08-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Facebook post from Fox Hill a little more hopeful .

Fox Hill Farm

12 hours ago

Bal a Bali update: "All is well with Bal a Bali. We rested for a couple hours as the tank re-cooled last night. Lameness seems improved. Plan to do x-rays at the same time as the stem cell procedure this evening. Will keep you updated.
I hope he makes it, but I find with this terrible disease that there it little hope he will.

Not sure what caused it to begin with.

nijinski
08-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I hope he makes it, but I find with this terrible disease that there it little hope he will.

Not sure what caused it to begin with.

Haven't read anywhere what the cause was but another very hopeful post .

Fox Hill Farm

5 hrs ·

Bali update: "Looking great today. Very perky demeanor. Normal digital pulses. Walking well. All of our metabolic tests came back negative yesterday so we are putting him back on a more normal diet. Also decreasing anti-inflammatories today. Will take x-rays again tomorrow to see where we're are."
We'd again like to thank Dr. Davis and all at Palm Beach Equine Clinic as well as Dr. Dryden and Dr. Turpin and all the others who have been so dedicated to Bali.

nijinski
05-07-2015, 01:09 AM
5/9/2015 American Stakes - Gr. 3 Santa Anita ,Bal A Bali

Looking forward to his US debut .

tucker6
05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if they performed the stem cell procedure, and if that had a positive outcome on his recovery? It seems more and more horses are able to survive mild cases of this deadly illness.

nijinski
05-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if they performed the stem cell procedure, and if that had a positive outcome on his recovery? It seems more and more horses are able to survive mild cases of this deadly illness.

Read an update from Fox Hill when they were going to inject stem cell
that evening earlier this year . He had a good deal of hydro therapy too .

Reports from the farm were that Normandy Invasion also had the SC injections for an injury .

Mandella is very pleased with Balii's am works .

Edit to report , Fox Hill assistant confirmed The stem cell RX on Bali and
a number of their horses . Also highly recommended Aqua spa therapy
for laminitis .

whodoyoulike
05-07-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

whodoyoulike
05-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

tucker6
05-09-2015, 07:42 PM

nice win for him today.

horses4courses
05-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Absolutely.

Off 11 months, and recovering from serious illness,
he should be a force come the BC Mile.

Mandella will give him every chance to get there healthy. :ThmbUp:

cj
05-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Absolutely.

Off 11 months, and recovering from serious illness,
he should be a force come the BC Mile.

Mandella will give him every chance to get there healthy. :ThmbUp:

He could be more suited to the Turf, I'm sure he'll get the chance to go longer in the US. He has won at 10 and 12 furlongs in Brazil.

horses4courses
05-09-2015, 09:03 PM
He could be more suited to the Turf, I'm sure he'll get the chance to go longer in the US. He has won at 10 and 12 furlongs in Brazil.

True

nijinski
05-09-2015, 11:26 PM
nice win for him today.

Missed it , just watched the replay .Great to see him win after the ordeal
he's been through . :)

nijinski
05-10-2015, 12:16 AM
Looks like this is the first time he caught a firm turf !

RXB
05-10-2015, 12:22 AM
This horse is a class act. He looked fresh as a daisy after the race. To come back from laminitis makes it that much more impressive.

MNslappy
05-10-2015, 03:17 AM
SN-bmyd_Tn8

Sysonby
05-10-2015, 03:25 AM
Loved that performance, looking forward to following this guy.