PDA

View Full Version : Don't believe the lies about Windows XP's imminent death

vegasone
01-14-2014, 05:16 PM
http://www.infoworld.com/d/consumerization-of-it/dont-believe-the-lies-about-windows-xps-imminent-death-233815?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2014-01-14

Every few weeks, you see a bunch of stories warning that Windows XP will meets its demise on April 8, when Microsoft stops supporting the 12-year-old version of Windows, including ending security updates for the world's second-most widely used version of Windows. XP will reach what Microsoft calls "end of life" on April 8, but it will hardly die. XP-based PCs will run the same on April 9 as they did on April 7, and they'll be as secure on April 9 as they were on April 7.

Robert Goren
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
http://www.infoworld.com/d/consumerization-of-it/dont-believe-the-lies-about-windows-xps-imminent-death-233815?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2014-01-14

Every few weeks, you see a bunch of stories warning that Windows XP will meets its demise on April 8, when Microsoft stops supporting the 12-year-old version of Windows, including ending security updates for the world's second-most widely used version of Windows. XP will reach what Microsoft calls "end of life" on April 8, but it will hardly die. XP-based PCs will run the same on April 9 as they did on April 7, and they'll be as secure on April 9 as they were on April 7.So will Commodore 64s

DJofSD
01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Sure, it'll still run. And, since a lot of software will still be expected to run on Vista and 7, there is a very high likelihood it will run on XP too.

But, does the mean your system will be secured too? Probably as long as AVG, Norton, etc. support the platform.

So as long as Microsoft does not make important changes to core aspects of the operating system then XP will hum right along. But if they change something in Vista, 7 and 8 but you don't get that update on XP, your system might boot, and, it might run most of your software but if the security software doesn't work or protect your system from new threats, you might be exposed.

Tom
01-14-2014, 10:26 PM

Every few weeks, you see a bunch of stories warning that Windows XP will meets its demise on April 8, when Microsoft stops supporting the 12-year-old version of Windows, including ending security updates for the world's second-most widely used version of Windows. XP will reach what Microsoft calls "end of life" on April 8, but it will hardly die. XP-based PCs will run the same on April 9 as they did on April 7, and they'll be as secure on April 9 as they were on April 7.

How will they be as secure when there are no more security updates?
Of course they will still work, but how will they be as secure? Are all the security updates so far not needed?

JustCoolGene
01-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Here is an interesting comment on protecting your computer from virus's and security threats.

John McAfee is a quirky fellow, to say the least, and everyone’s heard of his antics over the past years. Despite being the founder of McAfee, an anti-virus company, the millionaire admits he doesn’t use any software protection, not even his own.

But that doesn’t mean that McAfee is not careful about the content he accesses while online; he simply doesn’t seem to like installing anti-virus protection.

Instead, the eccentric tech leader says he doesn’t open links found in emails until he’s gone to the trouble of calling the sender to personally verify them. Of course, while he doesn’t exactly mention it, it goes without saying that he probably only phones people he knows and not the general population.

“I'm constantly under attack, yet I use no software protection. I protect myself by constantly changing my IP address, by not attaching my name to any device I use, and by not going on to sites where you might pick up a virus. Secondly, I practice safe computing. If someone sends me an email with a link, I'm not going there until I can call the person to verify that they sent me the email. It sounds absurd to live that way, but I would rather trust my own devices and thoughts than someone else's software," John McAfee told BBC.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/John-McAfee-Doesn-t-Open-Emailed-Links-Until-He-s-Phoned-the-Sender-390818.shtml

Gene
scratchmanager.com

DJofSD
01-15-2014, 08:11 AM
How will they be as secure when there are no more security updates?
Of course they will still work, but how will they be as secure? Are all the security updates so far not needed?
Well, half of the problem is understanding what exactly is meant by security updates. It's unfortunate too many things are described that way.

Robert Goren
01-15-2014, 08:33 AM
The more people that stick with XP, the more likely it is that someone will attack it. Windows 95 is very safe these days.

DJofSD
01-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Windows 95 is very safe these days.
That's just so much ca-ca I can hardly believe you would even post it.

Robert Goren
01-15-2014, 08:54 AM
That's just so much ca-ca I can hardly believe you would even post it.Sorry I forgot the :rolleyes: .

Tom
01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
OS's peaked at DOS 3.2.
Been downhill ever since.

vegasone
01-15-2014, 09:39 AM
If you have computers that aren't connected to the net in any way and are just used internally for whatever you shouldn't have any problems. Just depends on the usage.

DJofSD
11-11-2014, 06:43 PM
The more people that stick with XP, the more likely it is that someone will attack it. Windows 95 is very safe these days.

http://securityintelligence.com/ibm-x-force-researcher-finds-significant-vulnerability-in-microsoft-windows/#.VGKcU8kf4WM

Let's see if MSFT posts updates for 95, 98, ME, XP, NT, Server 2003 and whatever else.

On a technical note, having done a fair amount of app dev using sockets, I'm hard pressed to think of any time I haven't used SafeArrays.

DeltaLover
11-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Although the best OS ever from M$, XP is a think of the past and eventually will move out of the picture due to its antiquated technology

DJofSD
11-11-2014, 06:47 PM
One would hope. I'm just glad I don't use an ATM outside of the USA.