PDA

View Full Version : SF vs. Seattle

cj's dad
01-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Observation- I am wondering if Russell Wilson is wearing down ?

His passing totals in the last 4 regular season games are 178-183-89-and 158 of which 2 of 4 games were losses., SF and 'Zona

His playoff total vs N.O. was a paltry 103.

He is on the small side 5' 11" and 204 lbs. He was sacked 44 times.

JustRalph
01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Terry Bradshaw was talking about this the other day.

He pointed out Wilson appears to have a problem in wet weather.

That could be a problem playing in Seattle

Can they close the roof?

Stillriledup
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
That was a physical game Seattle was involved in, they werent handed the game, N.O. made them work for it.

SF is tough and battle tested, this is going to be the acid test for Seattle.

Robert Fischer
01-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Seattle's passing game looks weak right now IMO. Wilson is running a conservative offense for the most part, while taking a few shots.

San Francisco doesn't impress me a whole lot either in terms of passing.
Kaepernick seems like a guy who could throw 2 key interceptions, or could come up with some big plays and be a positive difference.

cj's dad
01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Terry Bradshaw was talking about this the other day.

He pointed out Wilson appears to have a problem in wet weather.

That could be a problem playing in Seattle

Can they close the roof?

AsI found the other day Ralph, there isd no roof that I know of

kingfin66
01-14-2014, 08:57 PM
There is no roof on Century Link Field. As for the Seattle passing offense, it has been dreadful. The elements had an effect last week, but it has been subpar for 4-5 weeks. I don't think Wilson is wearing down, but teams have figured out how to stop him. Seattle receivers are not great and have been well covered. Defenses that stay disciplined in their pass rushing lanes are able to keep him contained. Another thing Seattle has been doing a lot, as in nearly every passing play, is keep Zach Wilson in to chip block. Getting Harvin back was sure to help, but now he is out with a concussion. I would be shocked if he plays this week. Seattle is going to have to grind out a physical game if they are to win. This may be one of the more physical displays of football any of us have ever seen as both teams can flat out bring it.

Valuist
01-14-2014, 10:04 PM
The Seahawks didn't need to pass last week. The Saints backdoored but it really wasn't close. Passing yardage is the most overrated stat. Passing efficiency is much more important.

Wilson's 2013 numbers are almost identical to his 2012 numbers:

2012- 26 TD passes 10 int, 64% completion, 100 QB rating, 489 rush yards
2013- 26 TD passes 9 int, 63% completion 101 QB rating, 539 rush yards

burnsy
01-15-2014, 07:53 AM
The Seahawks didn't need to pass last week. The Saints backdoored but it really wasn't close. Passing yardage is the most overrated stat. Passing efficiency is much more important.

Wilson's 2013 numbers are almost identical to his 2012 numbers:

2012- 26 TD passes 10 int, 64% completion, 100 QB rating, 489 rush yards
2013- 26 TD passes 9 int, 63% completion 101 QB rating, 539 rush yards

I agree, both of these teams beat the crap out of the opposing teams physically..run hard, play defense..thats how they win. San Fran has given up 30 in two playoff games on the road and New Orleans couldn't do "jack" in Seattle...so we saw Cam Newton, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers basically running for their lives or getting the crap beat out of them. On the other side they run the ball down the other teams throat....by the end of the 3rd quarter....its over. Who cares about stats? The only stat that matters is the opposing team can't score shit............ You hold people under the points they are USED TO SCORING....you can take those stats and shove them....because they will be the winner in the end. Tough game to gauge.......

Valuist
01-15-2014, 09:04 AM
I agree, both of these teams beat the crap out of the opposing teams physically..run hard, play defense..thats how they win. San Fran has given up 30 in two playoff games on the road and New Orleans couldn't do "jack" in Seattle...so we saw Cam Newton, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers basically running for their lives or getting the crap beat out of them. On the other side they run the ball down the other teams throat....by the end of the 3rd quarter....its over. Who cares about stats? The only stat that matters is the opposing team can't score shit............ You hold people under the points they are USED TO SCORING....you can take those stats and shove them....because they will be the winner in the end. Tough game to gauge.......

And that's why I will take the winner of Seattle/SF over either Denver or New England.

burnsy
01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
And that's why I will take the winner of Seattle/SF over either Denver or New England.

Agreed, both play smash mouth...old school football. With so many changes in the rules and the vertical game, teams like these can still win. Sometimes they get "outscored" but these kind of teams still win more of the "big" games then they lose. I'm leaning towards Seattle at home but its a classic battle. Wilson is a trained "gun"...he could be pitching in the majors right now...yeah right hes worn out...:) they coasted through the end of the season and this team can win when he passes for under 200. When I read and hear all the BS about QB's and how people eat it up...I know why I beat the odds at this. How much do these teams need to pass??? they don't want to if they can hold the ball for 5 plus minutes running up the gut,,,,totally crushing the other teams defense and hopes with first downs, if they are passing a lot its a TRUE sign they ARE BEHIND OR IN TROUBLE. Seriously, sometimes I wonder what people are watching. These two teams played 3 games and gave up 47 points combined. Two premier QB's in this league (Brees, Rodgers), with a killer passing game, are calling in for tee times. These guys are still playing...they don't want 300 yard games unless they need it...its not even the "PLAN".

pandy
01-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Interesting match up because Seattle doesn't have a strong group of receivers (and Wilson certainly isn't a great passer) and although the Niners have good receivers, they have to face the best pass defense in the NFL. This could mean that the team that runs the ball better wins. The Niners have an edge in rushing, as I see it. Gonna be a good game.

Robert Fischer
01-16-2014, 01:41 AM
If I had to choose, I'd pick the 49ers.

pandy
01-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Interesting match up because Seattle doesn't have a strong group of receivers (and Wilson certainly isn't a great passer) and although the Niners have good receivers, they have to face the best pass defense in the NFL. This could mean that the team that runs the ball better wins. The Niners have an edge in rushing, as I see it. Gonna be a good game.

Another thing I noticed when handicapping this game, the Broncos had a tougher schedule. The AFC west was clearly the toughest division in the AFC this year. The Broncos lost 3 games, all to teams that made the playoffs. They played 7 games against playoff teams, and won 4 of those 7 games. The Patriots only played 3 games against teams that made the playoffs. The Patriots lost 4 games, two of those to teams that did not have a winning record (Jets and Miami). I guess the good news for Patriots fans is that they lost against teams with good defenses (Bengals, Panthers, Jets, Miami). But of course none of those four teams have an offense like the Broncos. Still, the Broncos need to play some defense Sunday. That's how you beat the Patriots.

Valuist
01-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Lynch > Gore

Lynch may be the toughest back to bring down in the entire league. Nobody runs harder.

pandy
01-16-2014, 11:28 PM
They're both tough runners but the 49ers have an outstanding offensive line and Seattle is a small, fast type of defense that could give up yards on the ground. I think the 49ers will do much better running the ball than Seattle.

Robert Fischer
01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that San Francisco was considered the superior of the two.

They won the NFC West division in 2011, 2012. Won the NFC championship in 2012.

I know the Seahawks are good, and also a good story, but have the really surpassed the 49ers ? The niners have 8 wins in a row and some of that inconsistancy from earlier in the season may be behind them, with guys like Aldon Smith playing back into game-shape, and Kaepernick/Romans no longer playing to avoid the punishment of running the QB.

The line is only 3.5 and it's @ Seattle, so even with the prevailing talk favoring the Seahawks it's seen as a pretty close game.

reckless
01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
All day today I have heard that the two coaches -- Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll -- hate each other. The lame sports media feels a need to add this to every mention of the upcoming game. Many talking heads also add the horrible phrase ... 'and everyone knows the two head coaches really hate each one another ...'

Yet, they never say why they allegedly hate each other.

Aside from the volatile personalities of both coaches, could anyone here please tell me why these two guys hate each other. I would like to know, especially if there's a single incident or two that may have caused all this.

Being division rivals, being hot-headed, being aggressive just aren't good enough reasons to me for the media to constantly tell us that they 'hate one another, as everyone knows.'

Thanks guys.

cj's dad
01-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Yet, they never say why they allegedly hate each other.

Who cares ?? They don't tackle, run. catch etc???? The best team will win period

elysiantraveller
01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Being division rivals, being hot-headed, being aggressive just aren't good enough reasons to me for the media to constantly tell us that they 'hate one another, as everyone knows.'

The fact that they almost went to "fisticuffs" when they were at Stanford and USC is proof they hate each other... Google it...

reckless
01-17-2014, 09:39 PM
The fact that they almost went to "fisticuffs" when they were at Stanford and USC is proof they hate each other... Google it...

Thanks ... I never knew they almost went to fisticuffs. Still doesn't give the media a pass on their 'reporting', don't you think?

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Aldon Smith...

horses4courses
01-19-2014, 07:00 PM
The defense of either one of these NFC teams will be too much for Denver.

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM
momentum shifting back to Seattle before the half...

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 09:09 PM
wow

kicker slow to get on the field to try a risky field goal, they call time out, go for it , get a free play TD :jump:

RXB
01-19-2014, 09:22 PM
The referees are absolutely jobbing SF.

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 09:23 PM
The referees are absolutely jobbing SF.

hard to believe that common sense can't prevail and review that play

Jens
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
It's tough enough to beat the 12th man but pretty much impossible to beat the 13th (refs). Good close game until then (when I say then I meant multiple calls).:bang:

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
i don't want to say 'heroic' but tough tough play by Bowman to hold on to that ball.

Tom
01-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Officials are terrible.
San Fran should sacrifice one guy and take one of them out.

tucker6
01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
The defense of either one of these NFC teams will be too much for Denver.
My best advice is to not bet that hunch of yours.

Valuist
01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Officiating aside, all season long, Seattle and Denver were the two best teams. I think Seattle's D will stop Denver.

burnsy
01-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Poor Russell Wilson...damn he was tired...oh, the other guy threw 2 picks and fumbled in the 4th???......that's what known as a clean sweep gentleman.:cool:

Maximillion
01-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Im confident Denver will come out in the shot-gun in the Super Bowl and attack early with scripted plays from their outstanding offensive coordinator (P Manning :) )

Denver all the way......not even close.

horses4courses
01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Im confident Denver will come out in the shot-gun in the Super Bowl and attack early with scripted plays from their outstanding offensive coordinator (P Manning :) )

Denver all the way......not even close.

You're right about one thing.....it won't be close.
Seattle kicks the pizz out of Denver....defense will win out.

PhantomOnTour
01-19-2014, 10:07 PM
I am no fan of Richard Sherman, but he's the best.
Made a huge play at a huge time.

Kap made the errors - Wilson didn't.
Congrats to Seattle and the Seahawks fans on this site.
I didn't think they would win today....but I think they'll beat Denver.

Valuist
01-19-2014, 10:09 PM

Agreed.

chrisl
01-19-2014, 10:15 PM
My Kids live in downtown Seattle they said it is going nuts, completely nuts. My oldest daughter is a manager of a bar/cafe and she said if does not have to call the police tonight, it will be a miracle. They can not pour the booze fast enough

Maximillion
01-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Strongly disagree and I usually prefer defense.Makes for a great SB.

For me,if its a blowout......its Denver.

thaskalos
01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Strongly disagree and I usually prefer defense.Makes for a great SB.

For me,if its a blowout......its Denver.

If you are inclined to wager on the game, Max...make sure to bet only what you can easily afford to lose. :)

IMO...it's Seattle...handily.

Valuist
01-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Denver hasn't faced a defense remotely close to Seattle's. The AFC is still markedly behind the NFC.

ronsmac
01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
The clock management on the last drive was brutal.

Clocker
01-19-2014, 10:24 PM
My best advice is to not bet that hunch of yours.

Ditto. Those guys on the west coast are playing against QBs that rely on their arms and legs. Manning will beat them with his head.

Thebigguy
01-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Denver hasn't faced a defense remotely close to Seattle's. The AFC is still markedly behind the NFC.

Agree. I believe the 3 best teams in the NFL are all in the NFC. Assuming everyone is healthy.

Maximillion
01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
If you are inclined to wager on the game, Max...make sure to bet only what you can easily afford to lose. :)

IMO...it's Seattle...handily.

Its shaping up as a classic offense vs defense matchup and like you said before it very well be the most compelling SB in years.

Maximillion
01-19-2014, 10:31 PM

True, but you could turn that argument around just as easily.

Robert Fischer
01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
True, but you could turn that argument around just as easily.

Yea.

And if Denver takes the initiative, can Seattle keep up offensively?

kingfin66
01-19-2014, 10:39 PM
hard to believe that common sense can't prevail and review that play

There was no way of knowing it at the time, but that botched call actually worked out in SF favor after Sea fumbled on the next play. Instead of getting the ball at the 1 yd line after the turnover, they got around the 15-20. It does not negate the fact that it was a horrible call and a double whammy for SF by losing Bowman. I hope his injury is not as serious as it looked and that he will be 100 percent for training camp in July.

Grits
01-19-2014, 11:05 PM
After watching all of this game, I was sorry that Sherman made a fool of himself, screeching on national television to Erin Andrews. He was a real drag... I hope Denver buries them. Though, I'm glad they beat the 49ers.

Valuist
01-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Yea.

And if Denver takes the initiative, can Seattle keep up offensively?

I don't see why not. Denver's defense doesn't scare anybody. Between last season and this season, Seattle has put up some solid point totals: 34 vs NO, 41 vs Minn, 33 vs Atl. 34 vs Arizona, 45 vs Jax and 29 vs SF. Last year it was 58 vs Ariz 50 vs Buff 42 vs San Fran, 30 vs Minn and 28 vs the Jets. Granted there were some weak defenses in there, but certainly not all of them. And in two weeks, one would think Harvin would be able to play to give them another threat.

Maximillion
01-19-2014, 11:17 PM
This is the kinda subjective stuff I wouldnt wanna post on a horse-racing forum....but looking at PM now I see man who is laser-focused and will not be denied a SB win.....its his time now.

kingfin66
01-19-2014, 11:51 PM
After watching all of this game, I was sorry that Sherman made a fool of himself, screeching on national television to Erin Andrews. He was a real drag... I hope Denver buries them. Though, I'm glad they beat the 49ers.

I have less an issue with his interview with Erin Andrews than I do with his actions after his defensive play. There was no need for him to do what he did to Crabtree.

FantasticDan
01-20-2014, 12:36 AM
I have less an issue with his interview with Erin Andrews than I do with his actions after his defensive play. There was no need for him to do what he did to Crabtree.That kind of stuff goes on ALL GAME nowadays with both sides, it's like pro wrestling posturing and bravado. I just take it with a grain of salt..

CincyHorseplayer
01-20-2014, 12:43 AM
Seattle is getting carved up.At #17 in offense in the league things are great when not asked to do much.Their D played not #1 enough today to nearly lose.Peyton ain't Kaepernick.The Superbowl is going to be a snoozer.Seattle gets crushed.

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Seattle is getting carved up.At #17 in offense in the league things are great when not asked to do much.Their D played not #1 enough today to nearly lose.Peyton ain't Kaepernick.The Superbowl is going to be a snoozer.Seattle gets crushed.
#1 ranked defenses don't get crushed.
I may be mistaken, but I believe the QB who throws for the most yards during the regular season has never won the Super Bowl.

thaskalos
01-20-2014, 01:05 AM
It will be one of the most thrilling Super Bowls we've ever seen...IMO.

And I wouldn't be too quick to diss Wilson as a passer. Put him up against a Denver-like defense...and he can light up the board as well.

kingfin66
01-20-2014, 01:21 AM
The thing that gave Seattle problems today was a running QB who abused them when they were in man coverage. Manning cannot do that. Seattle will probably play a lot of man coverage against Denver and should be able to put heat on Manning. It will be fun to watch him against the Seattle defense.

JustRalph
01-20-2014, 01:23 AM
It will be one of the most thrilling Super Bowls we've ever seen...IMO.

And I wouldn't be too quick to diss Wilson as a passer. Put him up against a Denver-like defense...and he can light up the board as well.

He can sling it. That long pass after the 9 second scramble was about 71 yds as far as I can tell. That was a heck of a throw. He also throws a bullet into the flat

He was also drafted to play baseball. He sure has the arm for it.

JustRalph
01-20-2014, 01:40 AM
He can sling it. That long pass after the 9 second scramble was about 71 yds as far as I can tell. That was a heck of a throw. He also throws a bullet into the flat

Make that 51......after watching the replay it looks like it was a little over 50

Stillriledup
01-20-2014, 02:39 AM

It was a very emotional game, he was in an emotional battle with a receiver and she grabbed him and interviewed him a few seconds after that situation. This was a gladiator in battle kind of game, guys were busted up, plenty of guys limping off the field...what Sherman did was not what i would have done, but it was good for tv and he essentially showed us his true feelings...i respect him for that moreso than hiding behind a politically correct answer.

pandy
01-20-2014, 07:43 AM
I thought that the 49ers would be able to run the ball better but Seattle forced them to throw by putting a lot of guys on the line, they wanted Kap to throw the ball. Against Denver they will have to keep those linebackers off the line of scrimmage and Denver may be able to run the ball.

burnsy
01-20-2014, 08:17 AM

I thought I said that during the week with "hes tired" talk...I called him a hired "gun".....he is. Then reporters are "taken back" when a guy gets caught seconds after the game....yeah, and Crabtree was blowing him kisses and wishing him a happy new year all game too.....i'm sure of it.

Robert Goren
01-20-2014, 08:32 AM
The super bowl is played in NJ outdoors not in the superdome. The Seattle defenders will not be huffing and puffing in the fourth quarter because the altitude. If the weather is decent, Denver has a small chance. If it is not, they have no chance.

Valuist
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
I think some of the books took a beating on this total. The number opened at 41, then immediately dropped to 39 and even 38 1/2 in some places. But in the final 2-3 days, over money pushed it back to the key number of 41, or 40 1/2 in other places. We hear about some whales betting early to move a number, and then making a much larger bet at the preferred number. If that was the case, the books got middled.

burnsy
01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I think some of the books took a beating on this total. The number opened at 41, then immediately dropped to 39 and even 38 1/2 in some places. But in the final 2-3 days, over money pushed it back to the key number of 41, or 40 1/2 in other places. We hear about some whales betting early to move a number, and then making a much larger bet at the preferred number. If that was the case, the books got middled.

I don't bet totals I bet the games.....but 38 1/2 in a playoff game is almost always an over. its real hard to take the under on a game that's like that. The other game was ridiculous (somewhere around 55) if people actually watched Denver play the week before they intend to hold the ball for 7 minutes a clip in these games.

Valuist
01-20-2014, 10:36 AM
I don't bet totals I bet the games.....but 38 1/2 in a playoff game is almost always an over. its real hard to take the under on a game that's like that. The other game was ridiculous (somewhere around 55) if people actually watched Denver play the week before they intend to hold the ball for 7 minutes a clip in these games.

The other game came up to 56 1/2, which just leaves zero margin for error with the over. 8 TDs alone wouldn't be enough for an over at 56 1/2.