PDA

View Full Version : A Real Patriot

Robert Goren
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM
A real patriot who not an American. This story of one of my doctors. He is a gland doctor and had nice practice here. A few month ago, I got a letter from him saying he was giving up his practice here and moving back to his home country because he thought they need his services there more right now. His home country is Syria. I doubt if I will ever know what happens to him back there. How much courage and patriotism does it take to give up a really good life here and return to a country ravaged by civil war because you feel they need you back where you came from? I think his story is so refreshing at time when our country is over run with refuges from other countries who decide to come to America rather than fight to turn their country into their own version of America.
The doctor's name is Jalal Nafach.

DJofSD
01-14-2014, 08:34 AM
There is likely more to his story and reasons for the change than what he has stated.

But, I do admire any one, whether they are or are not legally in a foreign land, immigrating no matter what the motivation.

PaceAdvantage
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Another doc pushed out of practice due to Obamacare

DJofSD
01-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Another doc pushed out of practice due to Obamacare
That was one of my thoughts.

Saratoga_Mike
01-14-2014, 10:23 AM
That was one of my thoughts.

It's more profitable to do biz as a doc in Syria?

DJofSD
01-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Perhaps not at the present time but most likely in the future.

Perhaps he has a private practice and sees the hand writing on the wall.

Robert Goren
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Perhaps not at the present time but most likely in the future.

Perhaps he has a private practice and sees the hand writing on the wall. He was a partner in 3 doctor clinic. I really doubt if money had anything to with his decision. A lot of doctors are funny that way. I had a gastro doctor give up his practice in 2005 and become a missionary someplace in South America. He is a third generation doctor. Another Gastro doctor in the same clinic retired in 2008 and now volunteers 30 hours a week at the city mission clinic. I know it is tough for some people understand these actions.

DJofSD
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Not hard to understand at all. For them, it is a free and clear choice.

I had a coworker retire a few years back. He had been visiting Chile on a two or three time a year basis doing missionary work for his church. When he retired, had and his wife moved there. Given his age and some other considerations, I expect he'll not be back in the US again.

What is difficult to understand is why some people can make the choice of volunteering money, time and effort while the rest of us have that choice made for us.

fast4522
01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
I worked with a number of people and when we first joined a company early in the 70's that said they were going to save everything they possibly can and retire to their country of origin. I can tell you that there are always people who say that they are going to do something, but few natural born Americans ever live up to what they said that they would do. A really nice lady that I worked with is from the Azores who has family and has a nice chunk or property there, guess where she retired to when the company gave her a retirement package. The same thing with a nice fellow from India I worked with for thirty plus years. Not everyone wants the same thing. The numbers have not changed, 95 % of the dead in the United Stated die poor. The numbers that have changed are 70% of the population used to be buried before LBJ's war on poverty, today more are cremated than go into the ground. Hey Robert, wood or cardboard?

Robert Goren
01-15-2014, 08:41 AM
I worked with a number of people and when we first joined a company early in the 70's that said they were going to save everything they possibly can and retire to their country of origin. I can tell you that there are always people who say that they are going to do something, but few natural born Americans ever live up to what they said that they would do. A really nice lady that I worked with is from the Azores who has family and has a nice chunk or property there, guess where she retired to when the company gave her a retirement package. The same thing with a nice fellow from India I worked with for thirty plus years. Not everyone wants the same thing. The numbers have not changed, 95 % of the dead in the United Stated die poor. The numbers that have changed are 70% of the population used to be buried before LBJ's war on poverty, today more are cremated than go into the ground. Hey Robert, wood or cardboard? A quick comment on the War on Poverty. No one is going to end poverty. The idea is to make life a little better for the people who are living in it.

Robert Goren
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
This thread has strayed from a doctor who went back home to help his fellow Syrians who were dying in a civil war. He could have stayed here and American would have been a little better off if had. He chose to return home and Syria is a lot better off because of his decision. Countries get to be great because people sacrifice for good their country much like the men who fought in WWII did for America.

Saratoga_Mike
01-15-2014, 08:54 AM
This thread has strayed from a doctor who went back home to help his fellow Syrians who were dying in a civil war. He could have stayed here and American would have been a little better off if had. He chose to return home and Syria is a lot better off because of his decision. Countries get to be great because people sacrifice for good their country much like the men who fought in WWII did for America.

Well said RG.

OntheRail
01-15-2014, 12:39 PM

A lot less paperwork.