PDA

View Full Version : Big difference between Betfair and Tote closing line, what does it mean?

cutchemist42
01-13-2014, 02:42 PM
So sometimes I notice little differences between the win prices of the two odds sources (I usually keep a Betfair tab open during my selection process) Today might have been the biggest difference I noticed within 1MTP though.

Aqu5, 4 Joe Alan ended at 6-1 on the toteboard but Betfair had 20-1 within 1MTP. The Betfair Win pool was at $48,000 at the time, the win pool for the tote was arouned 110,000.

Are these differences just mainly bots betting?

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
What was the closing BF price on JA?

cutchemist42
01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
What was the closing BF price on JA?

Once the betting closes on Betfair, you can't go back and see it at its absolute last amount. (Unless someone knows a way?)

I made my bet on a different horse within that last 1MTP so last saw it at 20. I had the AQU feed up through my Betfair window, and that Betfair window contains Betfair's current odds so its easy to see both the feed/tote and betfair odds.

Its like I said, I see diffrent odds every now and then which is why I'm checking both, but this was by far the biggest difference I'd ever seen personally.

davew
01-13-2014, 06:13 PM
timeform usually has closing and comparison with tote

http://www.timeform.com/free/

in this race their was a bigger difference on the 4th horse Patriotic Duty

matched prices on Betfair are rather deceiving, as $6 matched counts as $6 on both sides, and end up being $12

also the favorites do not necessarily have more money bet than a couple higher odds action horses

the bots running on Betfair frequently try to hedge or get out of most of their positions by post time

the only thing I noticed is some stables have 'connections' that use Betfair, so you can tell whether their horse is live today or not by the Betfair prices and matched on that horse

Dark Target
01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Once the betting closes on Betfair, you can't go back and see it at its absolute last amount. (Unless someone knows a way?)

I made my bet on a different horse within that last 1MTP so last saw it at 20. I had the AQU feed up through my Betfair window, and that Betfair window contains Betfair's current odds so its easy to see both the feed/tote and betfair odds.

Its like I said, I see diffrent odds every now and then which is why I'm checking both, but this was by far the biggest difference I'd ever seen personally.

Of course you can, you can get fully time stamped data from a company called Fracsoft. You need a Betfair account, and you need to pay for the data.

Or free Betfair Sp's here:
http://service.timeform.betfair.com/horse-racing/130114/Aqueduct-US-AQU/1421

flatstats
01-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Betfair produce Starting Price figures. These are the prices that punters choose, rather than having a fixed price pre-race.

Fracsoft charge a hefty amount for the data (pre-race) because the datafiles are huge. But you can analyse the Betfair prices yourself via your own database.

Just download the CSV files here:

http://www.betfairpromo.com/betfairsp/prices/

That includes data from US, UK, IRE, RSA, AUS, win and place SPs for horses and some dog races.

If you like to crunch numbers; know how to use CSV files and databases this really is a goldmine.