PDA

View Full Version : Four Left Standing

Ocala Mike
01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
So, no big surprises. Seems to me that the four NFL teams left to compete for the big prize were pretty much the top power rated teams most of the season, right?

Anyone think one or more of the four don't belong? Anyone think a "deserving" team didn't make it?

NJ Stinks
01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
The best team not playing are the Cardinals. Being punished for playing in the best division in the NFL is what it is.

tucker6
01-12-2014, 08:13 PM
The best team not playing are the Cardinals. Being punished for playing in the best division in the NFL is what it is.
Ah, no.

Stillriledup
01-12-2014, 08:14 PM

And New England constantly being rewarded by being in the Division with 3 teams who have underachieved, for the most part, over the last decade or two.

These guys didnt have to play Pitt and Baltimore twice each per season, those teams are very physical and play angry, those are brutally hard games, NE gets the patsy warm weather fins 2 times per year instead of the grind of the pitt/balto games. (for example)

Maximillion
01-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Based on their record and the final 2 games of the regular season It would be pretty hard to argue with this....

gheuks
01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I think these are the 4 best teams

Thebigguy
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I think these are the 4 best teams

I think these are clearly the 4 best teams.
Im calling a Pats vs Seattle Super Bowl w/ Seattle winning it. Im a Pats fan, always have been. But I feel like this is Seattles year.

Seattle opens at minus 3

Denver at minus 5.5

rastajenk
01-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I think the Bengals could have beat the Denver that played today, but since they didn't show up last week, they got no claim to anything.

Thebigguy
01-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I think the Bengals could have beat the Denver that played today, but since they didn't show up last week, they got no claim to anything.

I think a lot of teams would have beat Denver today. I think they got totally exposed in the second half. I dont see how they beat NE.

tucker6
01-12-2014, 09:50 PM
I think a lot of teams would have beat Denver today. I think they got totally exposed in the second half. I dont see how they beat NE.
Not saying I disagree, but that's exactly what people say before a team goes out the next week and spanks the other team. I take nothing from this game that means anything in the Denver/NE game. I'm looking forward to that game maybe more than I will the SB.

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 01:34 AM

This is true only if you think SD is terrible. I believe that SD was better than Indy who looked like a team that didnt belong in the playoffs. Denver played a much better team than New England did and they won easier than the score indicated. If the Refs called the trip on the N.E. O lineman, the Colts might have driven and tied that game, who knows what happens after that.

lamboguy
01-13-2014, 02:31 AM
This is true only if you think SD is terrible. I believe that SD was better than Indy who looked like a team that didnt belong in the playoffs. Denver played a much better team than New England did and they won easier than the score indicated. If the Refs called the trip on the N.E. O lineman, the Colts might have driven and tied that game, who knows what happens after that.
Andrew Luck will be the top quarterback in the league one day, but that team played awful in this playoff game while San Diego was real good.

after watching the Pats for a few games now it is very apparent that the separator between them and everyone else is that offensive line. every thing else behind that line is a banjo league. i don't know what the Bronco's can do to neutralize that line, they could load up the front of the defense and stop the run and turn the game into a shootout where the last guy with the ball wins.
the defense for the Pats isn't good enough to be on the field the whole game. the Pats need to run the ball and score slowly and keep the defense off the field as much as they can.

Thebigguy
01-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Andrew Luck will be the top quarterback in the league one day, but that team played awful in this playoff game while San Diego was real good.

after watching the Pats for a few games now it is very apparent that the separator between them and everyone else is that offensive line. every thing else behind that line is a banjo league. i don't know what the Bronco's can do to neutralize that line, they could load up the front of the defense and stop the run and turn the game into a shootout where the last guy with the ball wins.
the defense for the Pats isn't good enough to be on the field the whole game. the Pats need to run the ball and score slowly and keep the defense off the field as much as they can.

What do people see in Luck that I dont see?

burnsy
01-13-2014, 06:28 AM

I think four of the best got in....but the Cardinals could of won many of the other divisions. Getting no shot was a tough deal for a team that was clearly better than some of the ones that did get in.

No surprises this year the faves are all in. I don't understand the "Luck hype" either. Hes young and makes alot of mistakes. Indy was the worst team in this round.....their defense sucks ass. Luck will get better with time but that team resembles the same one Peyton was on. I don't see how people think Denver got "exposed"...they ran the crap out of San Diego and shut them out in the first half. Denver made some mistakes in that game or it would of been a blow out win. I got a feeling that New England will have a way harder game next week.

Robert Fischer
01-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Coaching: Patriots
Quarterback: Broncos
Defense: Seahawks

All 4 'survivors' are really good football teams and capable of winning a "legit" Super Bowl.

New England Patriots look like the Super Bowl winners to me.

Seattle and San Francisco have offenses that can be shut down, and really limited in terms of big plays.

Denver seems like the team of destiny. Manning winning his super bowl... And they looked much better than the Patriots in that "momentum game" that they lost in week 12.

I just like what I've seen with New England. Their defense looks re-energized and fresh. Their run game feels like it can be the aggressor and push guys around. Obviously the coaching is proffesional and they have a QB that can execute.

Robert Goren
01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
The two best teams in their conferences are left. An argument could made that several NFC teams are better than the Pats though. After watching the games this weekend, it seemed that the games were lost rather than won.

RXB
01-13-2014, 01:21 PM
What do people see in Luck that I dont see?

That his team is 23-12 in his first two seasons. That the talent level anywhere other than QB in no way supports that record.

Valuist
01-13-2014, 02:42 PM
On a net yards per play basis, Denver and Seattle are tied for tops, with New Orleans 3rd, and Cincinnati and Philly tied for 4th.

Denver 6.3 (O) 5.3 (D)
Seattle 5.5 (O) 4.5 (D)
San Fran 5.4 (O) 5.0 (D)
New Eng 5.4 (O) 5.4 (D)

kingfin66
01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I am already getting nervous about this week. SF comes in healthy and playing well on both sides of the ball.

proximity
01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
the bengals may have been the best and certainly most complete team in the afc. they probably would have won that game vs sd 7-8 out of 10 times. definitely one of the most shocking ;) games of the year.

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 05:24 PM
The two best teams in their conferences are left. An argument could made that several NFC teams are better than the Pats though. After watching the games this weekend, it seemed that the games were lost rather than won.

I disagree (respectfully, of course).

The Pats always have that "patsy" schedule, those free wins vs those soft teams, give these guys a real schedule vs some angry and physical teams like Balto twice, Pitt twice and things would be different for sure. If Cincy would have beaten late in the season, they would have had the bye and N.E. would have had to play wildcard weekend.

NJ Stinks
01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
I am already getting nervous about this week. SF comes in healthy and playing well on both sides of the ball.

It won't make you any less nervous, Kingfin, but I'm confident the Super Bowl winner will emerge from Seattle-SF game. Defensively, these NFC teams are far superior to their AFC counterparts IMO.

And playing outside at night in North Jersey in February is isn't going to help these high-powered AFC offenses either.

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Here are the 4 scores that the 4 losing teams had this past weekend.

Carolina 10
New Orleans 15
San Diego 17
Indy 22

Now, not only did Indy score 22, but they were by far the worst of the 4 teams who lost this past weekend. By far. They would have gotten destroyed by any of the other 3 teams.

SF gave up 10 pts ON THE ROAD, the other 3 teams were home town winners.

Math made simple, by SRU. ;)

Don't get too cute, let the math be your guide.

proximity
01-13-2014, 07:52 PM

i just went by draft order which showed the evil colts finishing in 7th place on the field, just edged out by new orleans due to strength of schedule. not up to proximity standards, but top 20% of the league nonetheless.

Maximillion
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
It won't make you any less nervous, Kingfin, but I'm confident the Super Bowl winner will emerge from Seattle-SF game. Defensively, these NFC teams are far superior to their AFC counterparts IMO.

And playing outside at night in North Jersey in February is isn't going to help these high-powered AFC offenses either.

I dont know.

I thought those were the two best defenses last year (ravens probably a close third)
Then I watched Matt Ryan go up and down the field on both of them in successive weeks.Ravens did the same early in the SB.

I know you can make the argument that both Seattle and SF are stronger on defense this year.....but what Atlanta and Baltimore both had in common is that they both came out super aggressive...attacking early with their very best passing plays.

I think thats the best way to beat both of these teams....to hell with being conservative early trying to establish the run,the AFC wont win a low scoring game IMO.
Denver would appear to be better equipped right now to pull this off,and I think they are the AFCs best chance.

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 09:23 PM
i just went by draft order which showed the evil colts finishing in 7th place on the field, just edged out by new orleans due to strength of schedule. not up to proximity standards, but top 20% of the league nonetheless.

I went by one game, the last game they played.

Thebigguy
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Here are the 4 scores that the 4 losing teams had this past weekend.

Carolina 10
New Orleans 15
San Diego 17
Indy 22

Now, not only did Indy score 22, but they were by far the worst of the 4 teams who lost this past weekend. By far. They would have gotten destroyed by any of the other 3 teams.

SF gave up 10 pts ON THE ROAD, the other 3 teams were home town winners.

Math made simple, by SRU. ;)

In order going into this past weekend, I would have ranked the remaining teams like this....

1. Seattle
2. New England
3. San Fran
4. Denver
5. Carolina
6. San Deigo
7. New Orleans
8. Indy

For whatever thats worth. I still dont think it takes anything away from New England. They played the worst remaining team, but still a team who won 11 games. I feel very confident that NE will beat Denver. Anyone who watched the Denver San Deigo game saw the flaws. That Denver secondary is bad, and now the #3 corner is also out. Brady will expose that. And Manning will make enough mistakes like he always does in big games. He had an interception yesterday and anyone who watched the game knows on Denvers first TD drive Manning threw a pass right to San Deigo who batched an easy interception. 3 plays later Denver went up 7-0

NJ Stinks
01-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I dont know.

I thought those were the two best defenses last year (ravens probably a close third)
Then I watched Matt Ryan go up and down the field on both of them in successive weeks.Ravens did the same early in the SB.

I know you can make the argument that both Seattle and SF are stronger on defense this year.....but what Atlanta and Baltimore both had in common is that they both came out super aggressive...attacking early with their very best passing plays.

I think thats the best way to beat both of these teams....to hell with being conservative early trying to establish the run,the AFC wont win a low scoring game IMO.
Denver would appear to be better equipped right now to pull this off,and I think they are the AFCs best chance.

I believe you make valid points here, Max. If the AFC team can get the jump on the NFC team in Super Bowl, it will be a great SB game to watch.

NJ Stinks
01-13-2014, 09:59 PM
In order going into this past weekend, I would have ranked the remaining teams like this....

1. Seattle
2. New England
3. San Fran
4. Denver
5. Carolina
6. San Deigo
7. New Orleans
8. Indy

For whatever thats worth. I still dont think it takes anything away from New England. They played the worst remaining team, but still a team who won 11 games. I feel very confident that NE will beat Denver. Anyone who watched the Denver San Deigo game saw the flaws. That Denver secondary is bad, and now the #3 corner is also out. Brady will expose that. And Manning will make enough mistakes like he always does in big games. He had an interception yesterday and anyone who watched the game knows on Denvers first TD drive Manning threw a pass right to San Deigo who batched an easy interception. 3 plays later Denver went up 7-0

Surely, you can't hold that interception against Manning.

Thebigguy
01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Surely, you can't hold that interception against Manning.

He shrinks up in big games, thats a fact. I heard on ESPN radio today he is something like 4-14 all time against Brady.

Thebigguy
01-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Not including Hernandez the Patriots have lost 4 Pro Bowl players to injury this year. 3 on defense and Gronk. Also not including Welker who left for Denver.
They are having an amazing year, all things considered.

Stillriledup
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM

1. Seattle
2. New England
3. San Fran
4. Denver
5. Carolina
6. San Deigo
7. New Orleans
8. Indy

New England's best opponent is one that plays a soft game, the Pats can intimidate that type of team. I'm pretty sure that if the Pats make it to the SB, the team they face will come out and hit them in the mouth. I don't like the Pats chances when they play a team who has heart and a team that isnt intimidated by the Pats reputation.

thaskalos
01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Denver will beat New England 38-24...and Seattle will defeat SF by a score of 28-17.

I don't know who will win the Super Bowl...but I do see a tie game with 4 minutes remaining in overtime.

Valuist
01-13-2014, 11:30 PM
He shrinks up in big games, thats a fact. I heard on ESPN radio today he is something like 4-14 all time against Brady.

Some advice: don't listen to ESPN.

NJ Stinks
01-13-2014, 11:58 PM

Brady is 7-2 vs. Manning at home including Brady being 2-0 vs. Manning in Foxboro playoff games.

Manning is 2-3 at home vs. Brady. Manning is 1-0 vs. Brady in the one playoff matchup played in Indianapolis.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-13/nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-tom-brady-records-history-matchups-super-bowl-broncos-patriots-colts

Thebigguy
01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
New England's best opponent is one that plays a soft game, the Pats can intimidate that type of team. I'm pretty sure that if the Pats make it to the SB, the team they face will come out and hit them in the mouth. I don't like the Pats chances when they play a team who has heart and a team that isnt intimidated by the Pats reputation.

I agree, and Im a Pats fan. We will lose to Seattle in 3 weeks.

burnsy
01-14-2014, 06:45 AM

even if this were true. how does it matter? that's what gets me. people think this is baseball and they are pitchers. Brady has not won the SB in like 10 years......were all those QB's better? The Patriots get beat consistently by the BETTER TEAMS....and so does Manning (and Denver) for that matter. Its hilarious how people watch that crap and listen to it. I pointed this out in the "playoff" thread. People listen to the QB hype and actually believe that's how NFL games are won and lost...it affects the spread and in the playoffs its even more bullshit than the regular season. Anyone that watched the games last week could see that every winning team...A. Ran the ball.and.B. Played solid defense. Football is won by the team,,,not the QB like a pitcher. you could put Brady or Manning on a shit team, and that team would still be shit. those "head to head" comparisons are complete garbage. Flacco and Eli beat up on New England all the time...are they better QB's???? I think Denver will probably win at home because the team will outperform New England. That's how a football game is won...more importantly that's how you win bets...understanding the "team" concept is way more important than who the QB is...especially at this level. Wilson and Kappernick are pretty good QB's that happen to be on BETTER teams.

Valuist
01-14-2014, 07:52 AM
even if this were true. how does it matter? that's what gets me. people think this is baseball and they are pitchers. Brady has not won the SB in like 10 years......were all those QB's better? The Patriots get beat consistently by the BETTER TEAMS....and so does Manning (and Denver) for that matter. Its hilarious how people watch that crap and listen to it. I pointed this out in the "playoff" thread. People listen to the QB hype and actually believe that's how NFL games are won and lost...it affects the spread and in the playoffs its even more bullshit than the regular season. Anyone that watched the games last week could see that every winning team...A. Ran the ball.and.B. Played solid defense. Football is won by the team,,,not the QB like a pitcher. you could put Brady or Manning on a shit team, and that team would still be shit. those "head to head" comparisons are complete garbage. Flacco and Eli beat up on New England all the time...are they better QB's???? I think Denver will probably win at home because the team will outperform New England. That's how a football game is won...more importantly that's how you win bets...understanding the "team" concept is way more important than who the QB is...especially at this level. Wilson and Kappernick are pretty good QB's that happen to be on BETTER teams.

Well said. Its still a TEAM game. Dan Marino was a great QB and we know how many Super Bowls he won, yet Trent Dilfer won one.

Stillriledup
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Brady is 7-2 vs. Manning at home including Brady being 2-0 vs. Manning in Foxboro playoff games.

Manning is 2-3 at home vs. Brady. Manning is 1-0 vs. Brady in the one playoff matchup played in Indianapolis.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-13/nfl-playoffs-peyton-manning-tom-brady-records-history-matchups-super-bowl-broncos-patriots-colts

Big Guy seems to think that Manning has shrunk in big games, but Brady has shrunk plenty in his post spygate career also.