PDA

View Full Version : T-DOWN CELEBRATIONS

mountainman
01-12-2014, 02:12 PM
If a scoring player is lucky enough to dodge the obligatory (no idea why refs allow this) hit from a defender after taking 7 steps untouched, ball intact in the end-zone, he may yet be brutally attacked-by his own teammates.

Seriously, I wonder how many guys get up dazed or slightly injured after a fellow back, fellow receiver, or even lineman blind-sides him viciously to the ground, and then 5 other players pile on. I don't think I'd WANT to score. The friendly fire looks too painful.

And I'm not sure it's THAT friendly. I've often suspected that the scorer's teammates, possessing, of course, nfl-sized egos of their own, want to draw attention to themselves, or at least shorten a fellow player's turn in the spotlight.

Bottom line: If I'm the coach, I curtail that stuff before somebody gets hurt.

Clocker
01-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I have seen college players seriously injure themselves landing awkwardly after a leaping chest bump.

In the immortal words of Vince Lombardi, if you get in the end zone, act like you have been there before.

jballscalls
01-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Steve Smith's touchdown today, you could tell he was getting ready to do his pose and inform the cameras that his knee was indeed ok. But then his teammate came over to congratulate him and he totally tried to blow the guy off so he could do his thing.

Tom
01-12-2014, 03:24 PM
They used to know how to celebrate in the end zone.
The Eagles had a deal where they all lined up like they in back alley craps game and the scorer would "roll" the ball like dice.

Stillriledup
01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Steve Smith's touchdown today, you could tell he was getting ready to do his pose and inform the cameras that his knee was indeed ok. But then his teammate came over to congratulate him and he totally tried to blow the guy off so he could do his thing.

You can tell which guys are not team guys when that happens. I remember Reggie Miller doing something similar to the Knicks and when his teammates wanted to celebreate with him, he didnt even look at them, he ran away from them essentially and never even acknowledged that they were there.

kingfin66
01-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Baseball teams love to come out and mob guys when they hit walk off home runs. In 2010, Kendrys Morales was playing for the Angels and hit a walk off homer against Seattle. His teammates mobbed him, he broke his femur and missed the rest of 2010 and all of 2011. Celebrating is okay, but over celebrating can be dangerous.

By the way, my all time favorite touch town dance was that of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson.

jballscalls
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
I like a little pizzazz once in a while (I mean who didn't love the Icky Shuffle!)

We see it at the track too. A guy hit a $5,000 Pick 5 the other day and he was immediately surrounded by his 'friends' and he took the money and ran away.

cj's dad
01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
I love it when a member of a team being routed celebrates after a sack/touchdown/Hard tackle etc...

Loved it this past NCAA season when one of manzells opponents started doing his "thing" while getting handled. JM pointed to the scoreboard.

EFnzhqAPIBU