PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor movie causes cancellations

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 04:46 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/11/theater-cancels-showings-of-major-hollywood-hits-to-accommodate-massive-crowds-flocking-to-see-lone-survivor/

Never seen this before. Canceling one movie in favor of another.

DJofSD
01-12-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/11/theater-cancels-showings-of-major-hollywood-hits-to-accommodate-massive-crowds-flocking-to-see-lone-survivor/

Robert Goren
01-12-2014, 10:53 AM
While a 38 million is a pretty nice opening, but it is a long way from a record. This is not "Batman". I wonder what the "violence in movies is causing crime " crowd that always appears when we talk about new gun laws will have to say about it. The trailers seem to indicate there is a lot of violence in it.

DJofSD
01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Does it need to break a record?

As JR pointed out, I don't think I've heard of a movie causing other selections being cancelled, not even "Star Wars."

I wonder if this is due to availability of online ticket sales data letting theater operators to quickly adapt to demand. (Heaven forbid they react to the market place and make more profit.)

jballscalls
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Could you imagine, you're all excited to go "A Madea Christmas" only to find out it's been cancelled? There must have been 2 very angry Madea fans yesterday!

davew
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Many theaters know which movies are supposed to be good and already have the good ones going in 2,3,4... screens already so they do not need to cancel.

Are most of the movies digital now? in the past when each film consisted of 4-5 reels, this would have been difficult (but I guess possible with a sharp and fast employee changing and moving the reels).

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Could you imagine, you're all excited to go "A Madea Christmas" only to find out it's been cancelled? There must have been 2 very angry Madea fans yesterday!

Big deal. You can always wait for

Madea bakes a chicken. Or Madea takes a dump ?

Both of which I am sure are due any minute

jballscalls
01-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Big deal. You can always wait for

Madea bakes a chicken. Or Madea takes a dump ?

Both of which I am sure are due any minute

I've honestly never seen a Tyler Perry movie, but I'd totally go see Madea takes a dump

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 06:54 PM
http://m.deadline.com/2014/01/box-office-results-lone-survivor-hercules-frozen/

Big opening

ManU918
01-12-2014, 08:53 PM
I watched Lone Survivor last week at some point (received the dvd "for awards" purposes). I would recommend it to anyone that liked the movie We Were Soldiers. Thought the acting in it was really good.

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Lone Survivor basically covered its production budget already. Every day from this point forward the movie is making pure profit.

Peter Berg has come a long way from Chicago Hope

woodtoo
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
You don't mess with Marcus Luttrell, four men shot and killed his dog DASY
(named after his SEAL team members) on his property at 1AM April 1st
2009.He proceeded to chase them across 4 county lines until police arrested them.
Kind of reminded me of Just Ralph's life and death story,without the violence.
It's quite a story on its own,if someone can provide a link.

RunForTheRoses
01-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I watched Lone Survivor last week at some point (received the dvd "for awards" purposes). I would recommend it to anyone that liked the movie We Were Soldiers. Thought the acting in it was really good.

I've gotten a few of these screeners recently, its that time of year. Haven't seen LS yet.

I did see American Hustle recently and see it won some Golden Globe awards. I thought it was a pretty terrible movie, way too over the top and just not that good. All flash but not much substance but what do I know. I did think Jennifer Garner was good. Also saw Out of the Furnace recently, I wanted to like it, but that was another terrible movie. They wanted it to be some "Big" movie but too me they failed. Great cast (as was AH) but the story was bad, I did not care about these people and there were many logical sore points, such as, *spoiler alert* why would the unkwown from Western PA have to take a dive when facing the "New Jersey" Redneck?

FantasticDan
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
I did see American Hustle recently and see it won some Golden Globe awards. I thought it was a pretty terrible movie, way too over the top and just not that good. All flash but not much substance but what do I know. I did think Jennifer Garner was good.You mean Jennifer Lawrence.. I liked the film better than you did, but agree with your over the top sentiment.

RunForTheRoses
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
You mean Jennifer Lawrence.. I liked the film better than you did, but agree with your over the top sentiment.

Yes, Jennifer Lawrence, she was real, real good.

I didn't totally hate the movie, would probably rate it as Fair, just not phenomenal. **Spoiler Alert**

The way the FBI agent was F ed over to me, there was no justice in the storyline, that is, he was kinda sleazy but there was too me, not the level of Hubris to mess him up. The music was great. The Camden mayor was very good.

ManU918
01-13-2014, 04:16 PM
I personally thought American Hustle & Captain Philips were overrated (Good but overrated). Her IMO is the best film of the year followed closely by... 12 years a Slave, All is Lost and The Wolf of Wall Street.