PDA

View Full Version : Question for Reid McClellan

TRM
04-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Reid,

Just read your article in the Texas Horseman's News about preventing ulcers. I found it very interesting to say the least.

A couple of questions:

1. Based on the study shown that most fillies were affected by ulcers, what about males? I saw one study that postulated up to 90% of all racehorses are affected? Is this really true?

2. In your opinion, how would this affect their performance on the track?

3. Besides feeding properly (smaller meals rather than 2 large meals) are there any drugs administered in extreme cases and would those drugs affect the performance of the horse, either positive or negative.

Thanks,

TRM

Figman
04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I haven't read Reid's article but I do know this. The use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in horses is a major cause of ulcers. Bute, a raceday medication allowed in many states, is a prime culprit as are a myriad of other NSAIDs.
http://tinyurl.com/35lco

TRM
04-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Figman,

Thanks for the link. Very informative

TRM

PurplePower
04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Figman
I haven't read Reid's article but I do know this. The use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in horses is a major cause of ulcers. Bute, a raceday medication allowed in many states, is a prime culprit as are a myriad of other NSAIDs.
http://tinyurl.com/35lco This article was published in 1999. At that time most thought that stress was a primary cause of ulcers and that bute was a major influence. More definitive and recent work (Texas A % M) indicated that stress was not as big a factor as once thought. The referenced article indicated that "..... in studies in California and Hong Kong, NSAIDs were not considered a factor in the high rate of ulcers in racehorses" mainly because the bacteria mentioned is not present in horses. Some horses are more sensitive and foals definitely show ulcer formation from both stress and NSAIDs.

Gstrogard (Omeprazole) is the main approved medication specifically designed for racehorse ulcers. Treatment is expensive ($30 a day for 30 days then every 3rd day for 30 days then once a week for 30 days - some race horses get a half-dose of gastrogard every day once endoscopy has revealed they are prone to severe ulceration.

Feeding good quality Alfalfa plus enough good quality grass hay to keep a horse from having an empty stomach is an important part of Ulcer management.

I will post a link to the word document that I wrote for the The Texas Horseman's News attached to this post after I put that article on my website.

TRM
04-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks Dr. McClellan.

What's your opinion on the racehorse's performance if they are on Omeprazole? I realize that we may never know if they are on the drug, but if it hinders performance, are there any physical signs that could be observed in the paddock or post parade?

Thanks for posting

TRM

PurplePower
04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by TRM
Thanks Dr. McClellan.

What's your opinion on the racehorse's performance if they are on Omeprazole? I realize that we may never know if they are on the drug, but if it hinders performance, are there any physical signs that could be observed in the paddock or post parade?

Thanks for posting

TRM Some ulcer horses are very nervous but others are calm and collected. So far, most of the improvement in performance has been in recovery and a return to racing with a repeat of same level of performance. We don't know which trainers use gastro-gard but can figure that it is more likely those that have well heeled owners.
Some trainers do not do much dental work (or at least have it done.) Floating the teeth on a race horse can dramatically improve performance. Some good claiming trainers improve horses because they claim horses that are poorly shod or give impression that they need their teeth done (shaking head, excessive saliva production etc. are not "sure signs", but can indicate a mouth problem) -- have them re=shod at a better angle or have teeth floated and horse runs "lights out" for them. That is where the 1st start for trainer stats come in handy.

PurplePower
04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
www.purplepowerracing.com?ulcers.htm for those that want to see the brief article.

Tom
04-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Who says you can't learn anything new in this game?
This is intersting stuff. what's next, notation in the form of R for Rolaids?

JustRalph
04-03-2004, 09:01 AM
I think I am getting an ulcer from trolling in the off topic forum....you got anything for that?

Show Me the Wire
04-03-2004, 08:03 PM
I think worming should be added to the list done by succesful claiming barns. Besides gastrogard there are is a less expensive older ulcer medication, that can be effective.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality