PDA

View Full Version : Sham Stakes

andtheyreoff
01-10-2014, 09:41 PM
The California Derby Trail begins in the Sham. Any opinions?

:1: Kristo
:2: I'll Wrap it Up
:3: Life is a Joy
:4: Ontology
:5: Top Fortitude
:6: Midnight Hawk

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=SA&race=5&param1=715&param2=325&param3=835810

precocity
01-11-2014, 10:31 AM
The California Derby Trail begins in the Sham. Any opinions?

:3: Life is a Joy
:5: Top Fortitude

http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_viewer.php?track=SA&race=5&param1=715&param2=325&param3=835810
didnt my boy godie win this last year? unless you got a good exta or tri straight think this race will be as chalky as chalk.

:6: :1:
:6: :1: :2:
:1: :2: :3:

I guess? :cool:

GaryG
01-11-2014, 12:17 PM
:6: MIDNIGHT HAWK for me

precocity
01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
:6: MIDNIGHT HAWK for me
MIDNIGHT LUTE strikes again.

pondman
01-11-2014, 12:56 PM
There are about 5 handicapping tournaments going on with the race as a leg, so the pool will be big. Really surprised they could get 5 horses to run in this race. I don't give Tyler Baze or Stra more then about a 5% chance of winning.

:4: my obsession with Reddam's obsession with Tapit. Been running with much better. Lost $300 on this one at the BC.

:6: Everyone will have this one, probably be 1/5

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
The 1 and 6 both look like really good horses.

Not going to bet this one, will just watch and see if one of the two stands out.

precocity
01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
The 1 and 6 both look like really good horses.

Not going to bet this one, will just watch and see if one of the two stands out.
me too unless I can hit them straight or with a big cheap wheel.

exactatom
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
This race is run at a mile on the dirt. Interesting mix here in that one comes from a turf background, 3 have been running at 7 furlongs and a couple shorten up from 1 1/16 mile. Speed with the inside and outside horse which reduces the risk of traffic trouble.

1 Kristo John Sadler comes in here off of a maiden breaking win after dropping to Maiden Special Weight $48,000 and stretching out to 1 1/16 mile trying two turns for the first time. Likes to set the pace. This $500,000 purchase has started twice at Santa Anita with a wine and a second. Facing the toughest he ever has today. Best hope is that with the outside horse taking off the blinkers this one gets the lead and can slow down the pace setting easy fractions.

2 I’ll Wrap it Up One of two in here sired by Tapit. Loses Bejarano who rides the Sadler entrant. Finally broke maiden after 5 tries in a race rained off the turf. Steps up a little today. Pace scenario should help this one who likes to lay off the pace, No 6 furlong works on the tab. The jockey is 0 for 19 this meet. A lot of reasons to pass on this one today.

3 Life Is A Joy I do not understand how this one fits in here. Hollendorfer is the hot barn, but let’s look at this one. Won first 3 races ( 2 at Golden Gate then at Fresno County Fair), then moved to Las Angles circuit trying minor stakes (2 of them restricted to California breds) and has a 2nd and 2 5th place finishes. No Equibase speed figure above 90. This home bred has made $131,000, but will not add much to the total today.

4 Ontology Finally broke maiden in 8th race. However, the connections chose to run this one in 6 stakes races between Maiden Special Weight races. Ran in Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf S, Oak tree Juvenile Turf, and Best Pal (all graded stakes). Spent the Summer campaigning mostly on grass. Makes the switch to dirt today. Must be considered on top.

5 Top Fortitude An upset special. Has only run once winning in Maiden Special Weight at Hollywood Park. This Arizona bred did have a very high speed figure and should do better stretching out. A real chance at a price.

6 Midnight Hawk While I will not pick this one on top today, of the field I believe this one has the best shot to be seen in May in on Central Avenue Louisville. The youngest horse in the field, with a May 14 foaling date so he is still growing. Takes off the blinkers today and stretches out. Last two works have been bullets. Mike Smith takes the mount. Broke slow in only race, but talent allowed him to prevail. Will be a tough horse to face in 60 days.

Trifecta 4 5 with 4 5 6 with All

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
me too unless I can hit them straight or with a big cheap wheel.

If I had to bet one of them I would just bet the 6 to win.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ran even better on dirt.

Stillriledup
01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Would i get ridiculed if i said the Baffert horse is a fraud and not nearly as good as advertised? Because, if you guys will ridicule me, i won't say it. ;)

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Would i get ridiculed if i said the Baffert horse is a fraud and not nearly as good as advertised? Because, if you guys will ridicule me, i won't say it. ;)

If you expand on your reasoning it would even be welcomed.

I saw a very talented horse who did everything well, except that he lugged in during the stretch.

He's one of Baffert's best prospects, he's been training up a storm with Baffert's signature moves, and he may even be more brilliant on dirt than in his debut at Hollywood.

?

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Down to a 4 horse affair after scratches

bks
01-11-2014, 04:50 PM
really a shame Owens' horse scratched. Loved him in here.

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Hard to take 3.40 on Midnight Hawk as good as Kristo is.

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 05:24 PM

may not get $3.00 for MH

Stillriledup
01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
may not get $3.00 for MH

Better than i thought.

Robert Fischer
01-11-2014, 06:11 PM
looked pretty good, but I'm not making any derby futures wagers based on that performance.

Stillriledup
01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
looked pretty good, but I'm not making any derby futures wagers based on that performance.

True. I'm not thinking he's a derby horse or even a triple crown type, reminds me of the hype surrounding Flashback.

Thebigguy
01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I don't think Kristo is much horse at all. Already a big money burner also.

Thebigguy
01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
True. I'm not thinking he's a derby horse or even a triple crown type, reminds me of the hype surrounding Flashback.

I have not heard or read any hype at all on Midnight Hawk. Flaskback was tipped out everywhere.

Stillriledup
01-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I have not heard or read any hype at all on Midnight Hawk. Flaskback was tipped out everywhere.

The Hawk is owned by 'elite' NFL coach Mike Tice.

Let the hype begin.

Thebigguy
01-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Let the hype begin.

The shitty former Vikings coach who scalped Super Bowl tickets!
Surprised a legend like Baffert would do business with him.

Striker
01-11-2014, 11:50 PM

Let the hype begin.
And don't forget that Joel Quenneville, the Chicago Blackhawks coach, and assistant coach Mike Kitchen, are also part owners. Tice was on hand for the win today.

precocity
01-12-2014, 12:12 AM
:lol: flashback mean santa anita derby? goldencents won this trip for a tune up and money? say what you want 3yrs he won a breeders cup enough said!!!!

precocity
01-12-2014, 12:14 AM
And don't forget that Joel Quenneville, the Chicago Blackhawks coach, and assistant coach Mike Kitchen, are also part owners. Tice was on hand for the win today.
80$ allowance i see in his future? :lol:

Stillriledup
01-12-2014, 02:26 AM

Good call, its good for the sport if high profile guys get into the winners circle!

Robert Fischer
01-12-2014, 07:03 AM
I don't think Kristo is much horse at all. Already a big money burner also.

I agree with you on Kristo.
It doesn't take much horse to discourage taking $2.80 on a favorite.
The Sham that we got yesterday was a glorified 3yo 1st-level allowance race.

How about the horse that Midnight Hawk beat first time out?

"SNUGGLY BEAR"
Now there's an interesting money-burner.
He's had the misfortune to run against and lose to Baffert prospects: BAYERN, MIDNIGHT HAWK, INDIANAPOLIS, and BEACH HUT in consecutive maiden races. :D
He's not a terrible horse either, but he was kind of the baseline for comparison within Midnight Hawk's only race.

Striker
01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
80$ allowance i see in his future? :lol:
If you want to compare to last year, all he needs is a 3rd or 4th place finish in the San Felipe, which gives 10pts for 3rd, and 5pts for 4th, and he is in the Kentucky Derby. Golden Soul got in the KD with 14 pts last year, but maybe this year they might need more points to get in.

maclr11
01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Great to see midnight hawk making the nbc broadcast of the hawks and red wings game tonight.
Horse racing fan Eddie o brought up the colt and they showed the stretch drive of the sham stakes and discussed his celebrity owners. Mike kitchen and Joel quinnville.
Awesome to see and I bet some Blackhawks fans will turn in to see him run. Can't ever hurt to have this publicity in the game.

jennywilsonhrs
02-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Midnight Hawk who was the pick of the day by all bettors won the two-horse race all the way down to the final sixteenth of a mile, and considering the fact that only four runners started, that was not a surprise. Read more http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82780/sham-stakes-midnight-hawk-soars-over-kristo#ixzz2qx8xVJzd