PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Start Car At Freehold Crashes Into Horses

Sea Biscuit
01-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Took out almost the whole field. It was ugly.

Here is the Freehold race replay link. Click on Jan 10 race 5

http://www.freeholdraceway.com/pages/race-replay

Hope the drivers and the horses are ok.

Charlie
01-10-2014, 03:11 PM
That was so very awful. We can only hope there was as few injuries as possible. That's why I believe racing should be canceled whenever conditions are dangerous for both drivers and horses.

cmp92
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Wow that was nasty. I think the grey horse, the one who hit the gate, was back up and running. It looked like he got the worst of it.

Ray2000
01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
I can't see why they didn't cancel....

hope/pray drivers are OK

"I believe the horses are all okay. Five of the drivers have been transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center" in Neptune, said Freehold Raceway race secretary Karen Fagliarone, who did not know the conditions of the drivers.

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2014/01/freehold_raceway_accident_video_shows_pace_car_on_ slippery_track_slide_into_horses_drivers.html

wisconsin
01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Holy S*** that was horrible, I have never seen anything like it, the last horse went hard into the car. Hopefully everyone is ok, I am sure the driver feels horrible.

Sea Biscuit
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I can't see why they didn't cancel....

hope/pray drivers are OK

"I believe the horses are all okay. Five of the drivers have been transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center" in Neptune, said Freehold Raceway race secretary Karen Fagliarone, who did not know the conditions of the drivers.

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2014/01/freehold_raceway_accident_video_shows_pace_car_on_ slippery_track_slide_into_horses_drivers.html

They did cancel after the 5th race

Sea Biscuit
01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
They did cancel after the 5th race

Here is another incident of a start car slipping and sliding at Monti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx_HmYJp7aM&feature=player_embedded#

RunForTheRoses
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Just saw it on the local news, Horrible. I hope all the drivers and horses are OK.

LAP_520
01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Here is a link to the story with video. WARNING:

This is horrible to watch.

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Starting-gate-slides-into-horse-race-at-Freehold

Story says all horses will be okay... and so will the drivers that were involved.

A MIRACLE

Just a Fan
01-10-2014, 06:14 PM
I have seen video of a very similar mishap somewhere in Canada 15-20 years ago, might have been Flamboro.

Wishing for the best for all involved.

Longshot6977
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
"I believe the horses are all okay. Five of the drivers have been transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center" in Neptune, said Freehold Raceway race secretary Karen Fagliarone, who did not know the conditions of the drivers.\

I'm still scratching my head over why they had to go all the way to Neptune when Centra State Hospital is right down the road less than one mile away.

Rise Over Run
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
\

I'm still scratching my head over why they had to go all the way to Neptune when Centra State Hospital is right down the road less than one mile away.
Neptune is still closer than Uranus.

Phantombridgejumpe
01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Although clever, I would hope you would consider deleting the joke.

Thanks.

Just a Fan
01-10-2014, 09:37 PM
\

Jersey Shore is a trauma center, better equipped to handle serious injuries. I have no real solid info on the drivers, but they may have been very concerned about some of the drivers, particularly Cat Manzi.

Just a Fan
01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Pantaleano and Manzi update.

https://twitter.com/DRFHarness/status/421800197501353985

Both are off their drives at YR tonight.

Longshot6977
01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Jersey Shore is a trauma center, better equipped to handle serious injuries. I have no real solid info on the drivers, but they may have been very concerned about some of the drivers, particularly Cat Manzi.

Yes, I agree, since my wife just mentioned that exact same thing 2 minutes ago after I showed her the video. We were both in awe and hope the drivers and horses are doing well.

Rise Over Run
01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Although clever, I would hope you would consider deleting the joke.

Thanks.
I do sincerely hope that all drivers and horses are well after the incident this afternoon, but I have no intention of deleting the post, even if I could. Thanks.

Phantombridgejumpe
01-10-2014, 10:39 PM
I hoped you might step up and do the right thing, clearly I was wrong.

Making an error is something I could completely look past. Digging your heals in over it is pigheaded.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 10:42 PM
How the hell that last horse is ok, is beyond me. From the look of it he whacked that car at full pace

I take it this guy won't be driving anymore?

LottaKash
01-10-2014, 11:54 PM
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/1-10-14/multi-horse-accident-freehold.html

excerpt:.
“Cat got the worst if it but was awake and sitting up before he was taken to hospital,” according to track photographer Helene Gregory. “Jimmy Pantaleano [driving Muscleslikesparty], Chris Scicluna , Debbie Rucker [Silver Delivery], Vincent Ginsburg [Redwhitenbluestone] went to hospital also but were walking and talking. [b]All horses walked off the track.”

----------------------------

My goodness, with all the many thousands of races that I have witnessed live or on video, this one, no doubt is the freakish one that I have ever seen...

Fortunately, most all of it has a somewhat happy ending to it....I am glad of it...:)

Longshot6977
01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
How the hell that last horse is ok, is beyond me. From the look of it he whacked that car at full pace

I take it this guy won't be driving anymore?

Look again. Although he did hit it full speed head on into the front of the car, unbelievably the video does show the driver immediately got up and walked away. Amazing. And the horse's neck bent backwards too and is still ok. :eek: Maybe the driver does have some residual affects we don't know about, but I sure hope they can all drive again.

domino1891
01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Freehold Spill, What Went Wrong?
By Bill Finley and Christie DeBernardis

http://www.harnessracingupdate.com/restricted/pdf/hru/hru011114.pdf

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM

I take it this guy won't be driving anymore?I can't believe that last horse escaped with its life, let alone its limbs intact. How?

wiffleball whizz
01-11-2014, 12:23 PM
I can't believe that last horse escaped with its life, let alone its limbs intact. How?

Best friend works for the guy who drove the 8 in that race the one who crashed into the car........horse has a puncture in his head and scrapes and cuts.......the driver rick is fine.....

I hope all parties involved sue freehold into the ground and bury this track once and for all

LottaKash
01-11-2014, 01:54 PM
I hope all parties involved sue freehold into the ground and bury this track once and for all

WW, I am surprised to hear you say that, what with them delicious Sandwiches and all...:D

Still, while I am not the great fan of Freehold as I once was, yet there is still a lingering touch of sentiment that remains in me....I was a fixture at that place many years ago...

I see it like this, that accident, that was just a freak thing....It could've and should've been prevented, but on the other hand, I have seem the worst of the worst conditions thruout the years and yet the racing went on, and probably those in charge, as in the past histiories of the tracks, didn't see that day as too much of an impediment to racing until, unfortunately, until it was much too late...
I've watched racing in blizzards, and precursors to hurricanes, without any mishaps, but this one surely was a freako....

On an additional note, while I am not a great fan of the cheaper tracks with the pokier and lamer horses running, But I still feel that they are a real necessary thing.....I see it like this, just the simulcasting alone gives the bettor a chance to get his wagers in without having to drive 40 or so miles to another area....Plus, the sport "definitely" needs a training ground for future Drivers and Trainers, and without places like Fhld, much of that testing ground would be lost....

I can't see a Trainer or Driver not getting his proper grounding first before they head out to the big-league tracks....It would ruin and cheapen racing as we know it.....I firmly believe that you have to earn your way up the ladder in order to compete successfully at the big-league tracks...We have to have minor league racing in order to properly support the bigs.....

Which ones should go, a good question ?

tanner12oz
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Cat had punctured lung and broken ribs according to darin z from meadowlands

Saratoga_Mike
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Cat had punctured lung and broken ribs according to darin z from meadowlands

...he seems to have more than nine lives...I hope he's ok once again.

JustRalph
01-16-2014, 12:08 AM
http://www.harnessracingupdate.com/restricted/pdf/hru/hru011613.pdf

Lawyers circle

Hat Tip Dean......

mrroyboy
01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Agree with LottaKash as usual. As far as suing Freehold they may be bankrupt before it gets to court. But the good old days. Freehold Sat Afternoon, Meadowlands Sat night, all night poker game after that and then the drive to Dover on Sunday since they were the only track that raced on Sunday back then. Needless to say I was alot younger then!!!

LottaKash
01-16-2014, 03:32 PM
But the good old days. Freehold Sat Afternoon, Meadowlands Sat night, all night poker game after that and then the drive to Dover on Sunday since they were the only track that raced on Sunday back then. Needless to say I was alot younger then!!!

Yes sir Roy, the "good ole days"...indeed..:jump: '

We shared a similar pattern of tracks back then.....Heck, we may have bumped into each other without knowing it....Haha...I miss it much...

mrroyboy
01-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Yes we were probably at the same tracks at the same time. Too bad we could of had some good times back then.But glad I know you now.