PDA

View Full Version : Google voice

raybo
01-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Has anyone used Google Voice to make VOIP phone calls? If so, have you had any problems with it, like people hacking your number and/or making calls using your number?

I'm thinking of trying it because I've gone all cellular but some times my cell signal drops inside my house. So, I thought it would be better to use VOIP at home.

ThinkingAlways
01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
I've used it without issue for 6+ years. I don't use it all the time for every call but use it quite a bit.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I've used it without issue for 6+ years. I don't use it all the time for every call but use it quite a bit.

Ditto here. Never a problem. Use it right out of gmail.

If you have a nice mic it's even better. I have had people tell me it's the best sounding phone call they have ever heard

raybo
01-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Ditto here. Never a problem. Use it right out of gmail.

If you have a nice mic it's even better. I have had people tell me it's the best sounding phone call they have ever heard

Yeah, I went ahead and tried it, and it works fine. I'm talking to a buddy in Dallas right now, he says the sound is great and no lag. So, so far I have no complaints.

TimesTheyRAChangin
01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
If I remember correctly,when a person receives a Google call,no matter where in,at least North America,you are,the phone # showing up in Caller I.D. is always the same,and nobody can return your call unless they have an actual phone # for you.
Mind you,that was from the first year Google Phone came out.Maybe things are different now.

raybo
01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
If I remember correctly,when a person receives a Google call,no matter where in,at least North America,you are,the phone # showing up in Caller I.D. is always the same,and nobody can return your call unless they have an actual phone # for you.
Mind you,that was from the first year Google Phone came out.Maybe things are different now.

That is correct, you have to enter an existing phone number when you register in order to get a call, unless both people have the VOIP on their computer.

Saratoga_Mike
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Buy a femtocell - it will boost your cell coverage inside the house. I think they sell for about $100.

green80
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
I have used google voice for my home phone for over 5 years with no problem. You can purchase an obi (google it) and plug it into your router and plug your phone into the obi and use your phone just like a land line.

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 04:47 PM
You can obtain a google voice number.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en

I've had one for about five years. It shows up as a regular number when I call someone. Mine, for some reason is a Chicago area code.

It works great. You can forward the number, setup voicemail etc.......

If someone calls my google voice number it goes direct to my cell (forwarded)

Btw, if you have an iPad or similar device you can now download the google hangouts app and make direct phone calls from your iPad. Of course you need a network connection etc......but it works great. Except you look a little funny talking to your iPad

All free

JustRalph
01-12-2014, 04:55 PM
http://youtu.be/1KSoxdtyc58