PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Race 7 1/9

Al Gobbi
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Five horse field going 1 1/4 on the turf. Because this is Santa Anita it means that it being on the downhill course.

There were two rides in this race that (to me) are very questionable. Gary Stevens and Tyler Baze are riding Monastic and Black Spirit respectfully. So the race goes off and as the field turns for home Stevens basically stops riding the heavy favorite and lets Maldonado on the second choice Power Foot go right by him to win the race.

Baze on Black Spirit appeared to not know where the finish line was and showed the horse the stick and a full riding effort for about a sixteenth of a mile after they crossed the wire before easing up.

HPFridays
01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
You're right, Al. Only excuse I'd give Stevens was maybe he felt she was already giving him all she had and that she was spent after being somewhat pressured most of the race. Baze's stretch ride I really can't explain.

SharpCat
01-10-2014, 03:01 AM
You're right, Al. Only excuse I'd give Stevens was maybe he felt she was already giving him all she had and that she was spent after being somewhat pressured most of the race. Baze's stretch ride I really can't explain.

All Stevens had to do was stay on the rail and Maldonado does not get through.

Stillriledup
01-10-2014, 03:14 AM
All Stevens had to do was stay on the rail and Maldonado does not get through.

That horse Gary rode was a bit headstrong for the kid last time....and this time, the distance was longer. I'm certainly an advocate for keeping the rail closed at all times, i can't even make a case as to why he opened up the rail when this was a "2 horse race" on the board. Maybe Gary didnt realize the only horse had to beat was sitting in the "pocket" the entire way and had no way out other than up the 1 path. Tough beat for those with the frontrunner, you want the guy to keep the rail closed.

bks
01-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Made me sick as I used Stevens and the :5: in the PK6 and was 4-4 at the time.

Sometimes you can't keep a tiring horse from drifting out a little. Not sure if it was Gary's fault.

Stillriledup
01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Made me sick as I used Stevens and the :5: in the PK6 and was 4-4 at the time.

Sometimes you can't keep a tiring horse from drifting out a little. Not sure if it was Gary's fault.

This is what i was thinking too, nobody there is smarter than Gary, i'm sure if he could have kept his horse on the fence he would have.

pondman
01-10-2014, 02:44 PM
This is what i was thinking too, nobody there is smarter than Gary, i'm sure if he could have kept his horse on the fence he would have.

You need to reflect that Gary Stevens was given 3 days off for aggressive riding in a similar location. It cost him about 40k. He agreed in his write up to not letting it get out of hand in the future.There's more to the business, such as doing your best as an athlete, but not trying to kill everyone you come into contact with.