PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Fiscal Conservatives?

pandy
01-09-2014, 06:40 PM
When I saw gas prices jump last week I was surprised, since crude oil prices were down. But then I remembered that Pennsylvania just passed a 28 cent gas tax hike (over the next four years) and the initial 9.5 cent a gallon increaser kicked in last Wednesday.

Our republican governor, who ran as a fiscal conservative, said that we needed this tax increase to fix the roads and bridges. These would be the same roads and bridges that we already fund through increasingly high toll taxes.

Are there no politicians left that can make any kind of policy that doesn't take more money away from the middle class?

I can't understand what's happening to this country.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 06:53 PM
What's happening to this country is that our 20th century infrastructure is breaking down due to neglect. Fiscal conservatives, like everyone else, will be driving horse-drawn buggies over muddy dirt roads if the problem isn't addressed.

pandy
01-09-2014, 06:59 PM
What's happening to this country is that our 20th century infrastructure is breaking down due to neglect. Fiscal conservatives, like everyone else, will be driving horse-drawn buggies over muddy dirt roads if the problem isn't addressed.

That's why we pay tolls. A lot of people don't understand this, but the politicians should not have to increase taxes to fix the roads. All they have to do is stopping wasting the tax money they already collect.

fast4522
01-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Are there no politicians left that can make any kind of policy that doesn't take more money away from the middle class?

Answer: No, because the poor can not pay and the rich will not pay.

I can't understand what's happening to this country.

Answer: It is imploding, the level of spending is killing us from within.

What the true communists here do not understand is that their fellow man will do nothing to stop gang banger's who will prey on them. Every man for himself real soon. OK now we are pushing 20 Trillion in debt, is there any doubt that at some point we will be pushing 25 Trillion or even 30 in debt?

JustRalph
01-09-2014, 07:35 PM
That's why we pay tolls. A lot of people don't understand this, but the politicians should not have to increase taxes to fix the roads. All they have to do is stopping wasting the tax money they already collect.

Don't forget that roadway repairs and construction cost twice as much due to union work rules and minimums instituted by non conservative legislative bodies. From the truck drivers to the guy smoothing out the concrete, they are being overpaid. And they get extra time to complete the work.

lamboguy
01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
this country took a bad turn when the people refused to vote for Barry Goldwater back in 1964. he was my favorite candidate for president of all time even though i was still to young to vote for him, back then the voting age was 21. Hillary Clinton actually worked on his campaign back then. he was dead set against expansion in government, a true conservative to the definition. today the conservatives are just make believe ones, they hide behind moral issues and the flag. but when it comes time to act under conservative principles they call themselves different things like compassionate conservatives.

Tape Reader
01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Printing presses today (FED $) are not of the Gutenberg era. No economy can escape them.

jdhanover
01-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Don't forget that roadway repairs and construction cost twice as much due to union work rules and minimums instituted by non conservative legislative bodies. From the truck drivers to the guy smoothing out the concrete, they are being overpaid. And they get extra time to complete the work.

Partially true - some govt contracts have been structured to guard against the extra time issue.

pandy
01-09-2014, 08:43 PM

I agree. Here in the Lehigh Valley they did a lot of work on rt 22 a few years ago but the county hired outside contractors (and got a lot of lip from the unions) but they work was done much quicker and cheaper.

Tom
01-09-2014, 09:30 PM
To think the mental defectives who run the government could ever do anything worthwhile is absurd.

Just look at the scumbags the populate the House and Senate......you think they are capable of anything other than lying, stealing, exposing themselves, cheating on their wives, or walking around stupid?

Look at the very low-life cretins that run both houses, Dingy Harry and Boehner.....would you leave your children alone in a room with either of them?

cj's dad
01-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Ralph, as you know I was a construction inspector for the last decade or so. As a former union worker (20+ years) I used to chafe at the notion that the unions had it all messed up. I found that for the most part, it was the non union boys who worked the hardest and in the most efficient manner while still earning a good wage. The union workers I have been exposed to in the last 10-15 years are some of the most spoiled, ungrateful folks I have ever been around in the work place.

chrisl
01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Just wait Gentleman, it will be that global warming is killing are infrastructure. Not time. Just wait..

chrisl
01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
CJ's Dad..Nice statement, right on point. I have over 30 years in structural concrete. I have worked both sides, my quality of work, and budget, have always been miles bettor on the "scab" side. Boys say what you want. It is the truth.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 12:26 AM
For years I worked OT as that cop directing traffic around highway construction jobs. I saw it the same way Chris and CJ's dad saw it.

It adds a tremendous amount of cost to all projects.

Remember the next time you hear a Democrat screaming about infrastructure, or a candidate for office promising infrastructure improvements, what he really means is "payoffs to the unions" and the Dems know the code.

rastajenk
01-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Code? Chris Matthews would call it a "dog whistle" if the ideologies were reversed. :)

Robert Goren
01-10-2014, 07:29 AM
For years I worked OT as that cop directing traffic around highway construction jobs. I saw it the same way Chris and CJ's dad saw it.

It adds a tremendous amount of cost to all projects.

Remember the next time you hear a Democrat screaming about infrastructure, or a candidate for office promising infrastructure improvements, what he really means is "payoffs to the unions" and the Dems know the code.There is unneeded cost if there ever was one. Why pay a cop to direct traffic at a construction site, when you can hire someone and pay them minimum wage to direct traffic. Any fool can wear an orange vest and hold up a sign with stop on one side and slow on the other and glare at construction workers goofing off.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2014, 08:59 AM
There is unneeded cost if there ever was one. Why pay a cop to direct traffic at a construction site, when you can hire someone and pay them minimum wage to direct traffic. Any fool can wear an orange vest and hold up a sign with stop on one side and slow on the other and glare at construction workers goofing off.For a liberal, you sure don't have much compassion for those who need to work jobs that don't require an advanced degree. :rolleyes:

Tom
01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Yeah, Bobby.
Those cops are just doing jobs that illegal immigrants won't do.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
There is unneeded cost if there ever was one. Why pay a cop to direct traffic at a construction site, when you can hire someone and pay them minimum wage to direct traffic. Any fool can wear an orange vest and hold up a sign with stop on one side and slow on the other and glare at construction workers goofing off.

I guess you expect me to be offended by that? :rolleyes:

What you don't know is that in some states (including Ohio where I worked the last 6 yrs) construction workers cannot legally "direct traffic" anybody can come along and drive right through the magic orange vest and run over someone and they technically have broken no laws.

Only certified police officers can legally re-direct traffic. Many union contracts require police officers for traffic control. Because they know if something bad happens their guy in the orange vest won't cut it in a civil suit for liability purposes.

fast4522
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Here in New Hampshire you will see other than LEO's for tree work that is common as well as pavement digs or fills. If work is being done at an intersection or a route the speed limit is 40 or more you will see police. The reasoning for police required at intersections is well placed because the need exist to supersede the the traffic lights to maintain flow. Intersections are problematic period, flag personnel are insufficient in those situations. Flag personnel do better than minimum wage and are often associated with back to work programs that company's get credit for. But then again having managed a parking garage booth how would you know Robert.

chrisl
01-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Hey Mr Goren: That statement about the safety of working men. Never in my life have I ever heard such "puke" coming out of someones mouth. I did know men who have died on highway projects because a failure in traffic control. If anyone would have made that statement in front of me about mine or any other crew. Talking about getting ugly....you are a idiot...complete idiot. Chris Larson

fast4522
01-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Here in the off topic area one would think there would be more middle ground subjects that both sides could align instead of the common rail against move.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Hey Mr Goren: That statement about the safety of working men. Never in my life have I ever heard such "puke" coming out of someones mouth. I did know men who have died on highway projects because a failure in traffic control. If anyone would have made that statement in front of me about mine or any other crew. Talking about getting ugly....you are a idiot...complete idiot. Chris Larson

Any fool.........can do it.......haven't you heard?

chrisl
01-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Where are you Mr Goren: Dumb got your tongue.

Robert Goren
01-12-2014, 08:20 AM
I guess you expect me to be offended by that? :rolleyes:

What you don't know is that in some states (including Ohio where I worked the last 6 yrs) construction workers cannot legally "direct traffic" anybody can come along and drive right through the magic orange vest and run over someone and they technically have broken no laws.

Only certified police officers can legally re-direct traffic. Many union contracts require police officers for traffic control. Because they know if something bad happens their guy in the orange vest won't cut it in a civil suit for liability purposes.The Police Union must be very strong in Ohio. In Nebraska we don't use Cops at constructions and we don't seem to have a problem. A Job is a job and I don't blame anyone for taking a well paying job if it is offered. I just question why it is offered. The problem in Ohio and other states is the laws concerning traffic at construction sites. Proper legislation would eliminate the need for high priced cops at construction sites. If the city of Lincoln had to have Cops at all its street construction sites it would have to at least double the size of its police force, no kidding.