PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Thursday, January 9, 2014

Teach
01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Thursday, January 9, 2014

Race One:

:6: Awake At T Wire is - by default - my pick here. Hard to get enthused about any of the entrants in this claiming route; yet this horse appears to be best. Solid jockey/trainer combo. Michelle Nevin good with second after claim, albeit with only four entries. Should get distance.

:1: Folk Singer is my “sleeper” pick here. Looks like the lone speed. Rail may be alive. Dangerous if horse gets loose on the lead. “The break” swill be all important. Maylan Studart does surprise., occasionally.

:2: Grand Rapport appears better suited for the turf, yet can be a factor here. Beaten fave against weaker. Second off a layoff. “The Davids,” Cohen and Jacobson (hot duo).

:5: Matt and Jesse hasn’t hit the tote since winning in the slop at “The Spa”. Low percentage trainer and jockey. Might prefer wet track (Afleet Alex). Yet might garner a minor award.

Race Two:

:5: Lili St. Cyr (Wasn’t she a "burlesque queen"? Bostonians: Remember Scollay Sq. and “The Old Howard”). Might just…I mean might just surprise. No guffaws here. Could she win at first asking? Maybe? Low percentage rider/trainer; yet solid work-tab. Watch the board. Watch her on the track.
Hopefully, no "bumping" and grinding here.

:2: Starkers has two seconds in two tries on “Keystone (wasn’t that Parx before it became Parx?) state” tracks. Decent-recent work. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is solid in the stirrups.

:3: Star Express should get plenty of attention; the Kentucky-bred has the services of Cornelio Velasquz and trainer David Jacobson. Third in both her starts. Third start of a layoff. Drops into”selling ranks”.

:7: Conzig draws “outside”; that should help. Trainer Carl Domino is good with second start off a layoff. Drops out of maiden-special and into claiming ranks. Apprentice Manuel Franco in the irons.

Race Three:

:4: Chapman gets my tepid nod in this allowance sprint. Consistent campaigner. Broke awkwardly in last. Chance to make amends. Rajiv Maragh for Chris Englehart. Has held his own in ungraded NY state-bred stakes.

:6: Much Stronger looks like the logical fave. Third start off a layoff. David Cohen for David Jacobson. The colt was second in his last at the distance; also one win and three seconds at six panels. Factor here.

:2: Shore Runner won his last about a month ago against weaker. The Linda Rice-trainee is capable of hitting tote. I’d prefer outside starting post; yet should compete. A first and a second at the distance.

:5: Ten Items or Less don't get me started) is another Linda Rice-trainee. Has not raced in five months. Finished up the track in his last race at Saratoga in August; yet should enjoy his return to the main track. Appears useable in gimmicks.

Race Four:

:6: Tricky Slam is my pick in this claiming sprint n2L. The gelding is dropping and adding blinkers. Solid jockey and trainer. Irad Ortiz, Jr. and Rudy Rodriguez. Cuts back a couple panels, that should help. Trainer Rodriguez is 28% when dropping two classes. Also good with second off a claim.

:7: Jersey Jet switches to main after four tries on lawn. Has not raced since late Oct. at The Meadowlands. Admitted a wake-up value-try. Tote may be helpful.

:8: Chief Scout romped in last against weaker. Second prior to that. Cornelio Velasquez in the irons for trainer David Jacobson.

:5: Pepe drops down the claiming ladder; that may help. Manny Esquivel for Jason Servis. Servis is good with claiming sprints.

Race Five:

:3: Morethanvictorious has been installed as the second choice on the morning line in this claiming sprint for fillies and mares n2L. The mare is dropping down into a spot where she should contend. Fourth in her last against better; second against similar prior to that. Should be closing in stretch.

:2: Julesco looks like she should be a contender here; yet second in her last against weaker. In my opinion, not worth it if she goes blow 5/2. Yet, having said that, capable of hitting tote. Trainer David Jacobson very good with third starts off a layoff.

:7: My Donna Jean should not be ignored. Drops in class; yet low percentage rider. Camera shy with only one win in 23 tries, yet has hit tote five times in nine tries at distance.

:8: Platinum Bombshell is making only her third start. The 4 year-old chestnut filly moves up off her last win. Trainer Dave Duggan is very good with horses who broke their maiden in their last start. Should benefit from outside post.

Race Six:

:3: Oltre’ Oro gets my lukewarm endorsement in this maiden claimer. Solid effort in last; should enjoy stretch-out. Trainer Kelly Breen very good with first at a route. Solid recent work. Irad Ortiz, Jr. in the irons.

:4: Brendan G has been a bridesmaid (or is it “best man”?) five straight times. Is today the day that he gets “hitched” (or at least a ring around him) in the winner’s circle. He should be a factor.

:7: Village Warrior drops into the selling ranks after finishing sixth in a maiden-special a little over a month ago. The highly-priced A.P. Indy-bred colt got caught wide from his outside post and had nothing left for the stretch run. A better trip would put this colt in the thick of things. Rajiv Maragh rides for trainer Todd Pletcher.

:2b: Ignatius makes his first start for trainer Nick Zito. The colt’s pedigree suggests he might prefer a wet surface or the lawn. Yet, he’s certainly capable of completing an exotic. Decent morning works.

Race Seven:

:9: Alcomatch gets my nod in this claiming sprint. This veteran campaigner is dropping in class. The gelding may appreciate the turn back. Failed as fave in last. Trainer Linda Rice is good with second after claim.

:8: Avenging Spirit was off the board in his last at Finger Lakes. Chance to make amends. Solid combo of Irad Ortiz, Jr and Eddie Kenneally. Two first and two seconds in seven tries at the distance.

:5: Rift was no threat against better in last. DRF notes “suspicious drop in class”. Yet has the support of the red hot duo of David Cohen and David Jacobson. The Waquoit-bred horse has hit the board in five of seven tries, lifetime.

:1: / :1a: Money Only/Tancredi both have a chance of hitting tote. The Travis and Eddie Racing Stable entry features two horses that fit well in this company. Money Only is dropping down and picks up Cornelio Velasquez and Tancredi was second in his last; should benefit from outside draw.

Race Eight:

:6: Gloria Victoria is my pick in this NY State-bred allowance optional claimer. The Todd Pletcher-trainee has won two straight. Irad Ortiz, Jr. in the irons. Should be a player here.

:7: Hot Splash is making her second start for trainer Jason Servis. Servis is very good in that category. The mare would prefer a wet surface, but she should compete with these. Jose Ortiz in the irons.

:4: Motion Lounge has been off for about a month and half. Yet, this Unbridled’s Song-bred mare appears fit based on her most recent morning work. The veteran Mike Luzzi rides for trainer Dominick Schettino.

:3: Downtown Hottie should take her share of the action based on her last-race win and a solid recent work. The dynamic duo of Cornelio Velasquez and Rudy Rodriguez.

Race Nine:

:1: Camden Jane is my medium-longshot try in the finale, a maiden claiming sprint. A troubled trip as the fave in her last, she was carried out (herded) in her last. Any kind of trip in this one and she’s a factor.

:7: Zimbabwe Lady finished third in her last against similar about a month ago a Turfway. Any slight improvement puts this Seeking The Gold-bred filly in the mix.

:2: Birdsofafeather is “the logical”. The questions remains: “Does the roan filly live up to it?” The sharp class drop out of maiden-specials to the lower-level claiming ranks (one has to believe that this filly is headed to another barn after this one) is “suspicious.” The filly’s pedigree (Langfuhr) suggests a possible turf predilection. The filly hasn’t raced in over a month and a half; her morning works are nuthin to write home about. Personally, I would tread cautiously.

:4: Livininthefastlane gets a rider change to Irad Ortiz, Jr. Rudy Rodriguez trains. Failed as fave in last; chance to make amends.

dartman51
01-09-2014, 12:23 PM
AQUEDUCT TODAY

1> :4: , :6: , :2:
2> :6: , :2: , :3:
3> :3: , :5: , :6:
4> :5: , :7: , :8:
5> :4: , :7: , :2:
6> :4: , :7: , :3:

to be cont.

dartman51
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
AQUEDUCT TODAY continued

7> :2: , :8: , :9:
8> :6: , :4: , :7:
9> :2: , :4: , :5:

Good luck today Teach :ThmbUp:

Teach
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
:3: Star Express looks solid on the racetrack.

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
My play is the :7: Conzig at a nice 7-1 price.

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
My play is the :7: Conzig at a nice 7-1 price.
Not good enough

Race 3 - the :6: appears to be a standout. By my humble figs, he can win this with any of his last five races. Currenlty 8-5 and likely still dropping in price for Jacobson.
Even money is more like it, maybe 4-5

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Not good enough

Race 3 - the :6: appears to be a standout. By my humble figs, he can win this with any of his last five races. Currenlty 8-5 and likely still dropping in price for Jacobson.
Even money is more like it, maybe 4-5
Jacobson...yawn.

My choice in the 4th is another low priced runner, the :1: at 2-1 currently.
Should get a nice clip to close into, but the price just isn't good enough to bet, yet.