PDA

View Full Version : Why does the clock keep running in football?

Stillriledup
01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Baseball, there's no clock....NHL and NBA, the clock is only running when the players are playing. In the NFL, the clock runs while players are standing around waiting to play.

Would it be any different if the clock stopped as soon as the play was over on all plays? You would get more "action" for your money, you would see more plays.

PhantomOnTour
01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
...and the games would last 6hrs

NJ Stinks
01-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I am old enough to remember when a clock stopped and stayed stopped until the next snap when the guy with the ball ran out of bounds. Or after a penalty flag was thrown.

Now we've got to suffer through two minutes of commercials - even after a kickoff.

Things really were better for football fans a long time ago.

Ocala Mike
01-08-2014, 07:54 PM
You would get more "action" for your money, you would see more plays.

Well, you could become a soccer fan if you're into plays. Unfortunately, without much scoring, it's a lot like watching paint dry for most.

That's why, for me, baseball is the only true sport for the reason you gave - no clock. Also, because the defensive team (pitcher) controls the action.

therussmeister
01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
If the clock stopped after every play, there would be no sense of urgency in the huddle or the line of scrimmage. No rushing to get the next play off, no need to strategize to conserve the clock by the team behind, or burn time by the team ahead. Almost no need for time outs (I assume there would still be a play clock), I think it would change the nature of the game in the fourth quarter, and not for the best.

elysiantraveller
01-08-2014, 08:15 PM
The average NFL play is 8 seconds. This would mean 450 plays a game. No one would survive a season.

Stillriledup
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
The average NFL play is 8 seconds. This would mean 450 plays a game. No one would survive a season.

Instead of having four 15 minute quarters, why not just make them 5 minute quarters and stop the clock.

Would accomplish the same thing.

rastajenk
01-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Then why change if it accomplishes the same thing? I really can't see Roger Goodale stepping up to a podium and saying, "We have a big announcement to make: In order to satisfy some anonymous internet troll, we have radically changed the way we mark time."

Valuist
01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Working the clock is still an important strategy aspect of the game. Get a lead in the 4th quarter and milking the clock becomes more important than scoring more points. And this is one reason why pass only teams have trouble protecting leads.

Having said that, there's way too many clock stoppages in college football. I hate the idea of stopping the clock just because a team gets a first down. My attention span maxes out at 3 hours. The NFL games are pushing it with all the replays. For the most part, college is unwatchable for me.

HuggingTheRail
01-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Instead of having four 15 minute quarters, why not just make them 5 minute quarters and stop the clock.

Would accomplish the same thing.

they could play a whole game between races at SRU Downs :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

aardvark
01-10-2014, 01:58 AM
"No one would survive a season." They are having enough trouble doing that now.