PDA

View Full Version : Petty Politics May Close Christie's Lane to the White House

Ocala Mike
01-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm calling it Trafficgate!

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/emails_tie_top_christie_aide_to_gwb_closures.html# incart_river

NJ Stinks
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
This is kind of like Watergate in that Nixon didn't need to do anything stupid to get re-elected. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
I know I shouldn't be by now, but I never cease to be amazed by the pettiness of republicans. It is to hell with everybody but one of their own.

woodtoo
01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Petty politics takes its toll, big time.He may be able to tip toe through this
but I doubt it was his idea either way.

Rookies
01-08-2014, 10:07 PM

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/emails_tie_top_christie_aide_to_gwb_closures.html# incart_river

I believe I received an e-mail on this one about 3 weeks ago. This type of low brow trash payback might have snuck under the radar in the 60s.

Today, pols can't fart without it being on U Tube inside of 15 minutes! If you are playing a blinder today, you better be all alone in the forest and have checked for all the HD cameras. :rolleyes:

davew
01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Did the nsa just get around to reading those snagged emails?

It will be interesting to see what 'will be held accountable' means to Christie - will he let them give press conferences and get better positions like Osama ?

JustRalph
01-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Christie gets what he deserves

It's New Jersey. I'm sure this is babysh$t compared to some other sh&t that goes on.........the Sopranos was in no way fiction

highnote
01-09-2014, 01:41 AM
I doubt this will change voters' minds.

Christie supporters will still support him and anti-Christie voters will have confirmation that they are not going to vote for him.

It's petty and an abuse of power, but I've seen worse. It's not even clear if Christie is linked to this except by association.

The people who orchestrated this have more to gain than Christie. If their man gets elected they get cushier jobs and a lot more money and power.

Greyfox
01-09-2014, 02:01 AM
I doubt this will change voters' minds.

This has the potential to be a terrible stain on Christie and absolutely could ruin any aspirations that he might have about the Presidency.
Thousands of people were in gridlock for several days.
Ambulances couldn't get through. One of those ambulances included people in a serious m.v.a. (I never heard what happened to them.)
Children couldn't get to school.
Thousands of man hours in commercial activity was lost.
The potential for criminal charges and civil suits is definitely in the picture.
The truth will surface and if Christie is directly linked to this skulduggery, he will be in major trouble. He won't get support from either side of the aisle on this crap.
So far he has not handled it well, preferring simply to issue a statement on paper.
He needs to go to Fort Lee and meet the citizens there and clear this up.
The sooner the better.

HUSKER55
01-09-2014, 07:48 AM
if christie can't get by this type of political bullshit then he deserves to go under.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Seems to be doing a pretty good job of wiggling out of this during this presser on now. God help him, though, if they find something with his fingerprints on this.

johnhannibalsmith
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Seems to be doing a pretty good job of wiggling out of this during this presser on now. God help him, though, if they find something with his fingerprints on this.

Did a great job campaigning against the perception of how the current guy handles similar "scandals". For a guy that claims he isn't even thinking about 2016, it seemed like the whole 90 minutes was by designed a rebuttal of current protocol for handling like events.

On the second point, something tells me his fingerprints are going to be found all over it. Seemed like a lot of contrast in how he answered certain questions. I'm no body language expert, but I do like to know when I'm being lied to and if someone is trying to sell me on what they are telling me with the amount of gesticulations he was uncorking and ending countless sentences by trying to chew off his lips, I'd be a little skeptical.

Tom
01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
He is looking very presidential today -
Didn't know nothing, no one told him, everyone lied to him, not his fault.....back up the bus.

Jerk.
Might as well give Obama a third term as put this idiot in the WH.
At least we save on the moving costs.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Tom, you're on to something. He's just an overweight male version of Hillary; expect him to pull a "what difference does it make?" any minute now.

Greyfox
01-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I just watched Christie's press conference and he seems genuine when he says that he had nothing to do with it.
But I wonder how bright this guy is?
When the bridge was snarled up with traffic, he was told about it.
He asked appropriate people what was going on and he was told "It was a traffic study."
At that point the penny should have dropped and he should have insisted that there must be another way to study traffic without reducing a bridge to one lane.
He should have ordered the bridge opened immediately.
God help America if he ever becomes President. The smarts just aren't there.

highnote
01-09-2014, 01:11 PM
It begins and ends at the top. Christie sets the tone for his administration. He should have let it be known that their is absolutely zero tolerance for any unethical behavior.

The people who shut down the lanes could have caused deaths if ambulances would not have been able to respond to an emergency. That would have been manslaughter. Those people were willing to risk a charge of manslaughter for their own political gain.

Politicians are public servants and are hired to help society, not kill people.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
The people who shut down the lanes could have caused deaths if ambulances would not have been able to respond to an emergency.

I believe that is exactly what happened in several instances. There is the possibility of criminal charges resulting from further investigation.

highnote
01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I believe that is exactly what happened in several instances. There is the possibility of criminal charges resulting from further investigation.

Shutting down lanes was stupid on so many levels. Did they even take a second to think about the consequences?

FantasticDan
01-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Jon "Jersey Boy" Stewart's take from last nite:

http://on.cc.com/1lDrnuB

Tom
01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
This rises to the level of legitimate SCANDAL.
Traffic was tied up.
It's not minor stuff, like getting 4 diplomats killed, or losing track of guns to Mexican drug lords, which, on MSM are NOT scandals.

The left is so entertaining in their lunacy.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Tom, if you think the left is entertaining in its lunacy, wait until you see what the right does with this stuff during primary season, especially if it develops into a story with legs. They will be after Christie with a vengeance/

As far as trivializing something like this, I can assure you that political careers have been destroyed over equally trivial-seeming incidents. NYC Mayor Lindsay never recovered from his failure to have the city respond to clean up the after effects of a huge snowstorm in eastern Queens during the winter of 1969.

ArlJim78
01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I just watched Christie's press conference and he seems genuine when he says that he had nothing to do with it.
But I wonder how bright this guy is?
When the bridge was snarled up with traffic, he was told about it.
He asked appropriate people what was going on and he was told "It was a traffic study."
At that point the penny should have dropped and he should have insisted that there must be another way to study traffic without reducing a bridge to one lane.
He should have ordered the bridge opened immediately.
God help America if he ever becomes President. The smarts just aren't there.
I'm with you on this except I have a hard time believing he didn't know this right from the beginning. and even if he didn't, the complaints came in immediately and it's been in the news for months with accusations flying left and right, and you mean to tell me that all this time he never looked into it any further and was shocked, shocked to find people on his staff had done wrong? I don't buy it, and personally I don't think its a trivial matter either. It's the same kind of bully politics and abuse of power like we have with Obama.

Yes of course the media is treating it as a real scandal which they never do with Obama, but that doesn't justify anything about the matter. It is a scandal but no Republican will ever have the media running cover for them, it's just the way it is.

I've never felt that this guy was presidential material and this only confirms it.

JustRalph
01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Amazing how upset the left is about blocked traffic........

I wonder how they reacted to this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-us-protests-more-arrests/

redshift1
01-09-2014, 06:02 PM

I'm seeing more criticism from the right than the left.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm seeing more criticism from the right than the left.

What I said, but let the usual brickbat throwers heave them in the same direction as always. The left is just sparring with this guy throwing those "left hooks" at him; he'll be getting in the ring with opponents with big right body blows and uppercuts during the primaries.

highnote
01-09-2014, 07:27 PM

When the National Guard is called in and kills a few of them then the real complaining will begin.

Tom
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Kent State Part 2?

When you have to call out the National Guard to protect you from your own citizens, you are pathetic. Just like Nixon. Will the Kenyan Krackpot send in the drones?

HCyF6gp7BmA

thaskalos
01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
OK...so Christie is a liar. How does that disqualify him as a presidential candidate?

Tom
01-09-2014, 10:54 PM
I said earlier it makes him look presidential.
What this country needs more than ever is another liar.

JustRalph
01-10-2014, 12:10 AM
OK...so Christie is a liar. How does that disqualify him as a presidential candidate?

If you like your bridge, you can keep your bridge.

Sounds like he should run as a Dem. just like many Tea Party types have been saying

Tom
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Christie had nothing to do with closing that highway.....he was at McDonald's, clogging his own arteries at the time.

Robert Goren
01-10-2014, 07:55 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-us-protests-more-arrests/ The story quoted somebody who said attended a "support our troops" rally in Lincoln, Ne. I don't remember that rally nor can I find any reference to it. There is a "support our troops" day on one home football game each year and has been for years, but nothing around the date of the article. Normally I'd trust CBS News, but I think in this case, they got it wrong.
I just to say almost everybody supports our troops although I think from time to time a lot of people disagree with the policies. Not many, if any American wants see a member of our Armed Services injured or killed.

Robert Goren
01-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Christie had nothing to do with closing that highway.....he was at McDonald's, clogging his own arteries at the time.He certainly would not have closed the bridge if he was on one side and there was an "all you can eat" buffet on the other.

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Not many, if any American wants see a member of our Armed Services injured or killed.I think more people than you care to admit don't think about it one iota.

Robert Goren
01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I think more people than you care to admit don't think about it one iota.You are probably correct. I am sure that not enough people think about how poorly injured soldiers are treated by the government when they get back.

Clocker
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM

AKA "Fat and Furious".

AKA "Blunder Road".

Clocker
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Christie had nothing to do with closing that highway.....he was at McDonald's, clogging his own arteries at the time.

He is obviously lying. He said that he just learned about it the other day after finishing his morning work out. :lol:

Greyfox
01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Just the Start

A civil lawsuit has been filed against Christie, the State of New Jersey, et. al.
for the delays that were deliberately rigged on the GW Bridge.

More at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHRISTIE_TRAFFIC_JAMS_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-09-18-48-53

redshift1
01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Just the Start

A civil lawsuit has been filed against Christie, the State of New Jersey, et. al.
for the delays that were deliberately rigged on the GW Bridge.

More at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHRISTIE_TRAFFIC_JAMS_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-09-18-48-53

Ah.. Rosemarie Arnold and the $30 Million Dog Bite.

http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorneyblog.com/2012/06/the-30m-dog-bite-and-rosemarie-arnold.html

ArlJim78
01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
wow, just look at the exuberance with which CNN is going after this Christie deal. this is what they tweeted this afternoon.

"Our political unit is poring over more than a thousand pages of Christie docs. We'll send out updates as we have them using #ChristieDocs"

How can these 'investigative journalists' even look at themselves in the mirror? I mean they've gone full-on into Palin mode with this, yet they fall asleep and bury and play down much bigger stuff every day of the week.

Tom
01-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Same deal with that light-weight fool Brian William at NBC.
That lackey is the type you hire to smile and pour coffee.

At NBC, the most qualified, intelligent newsman is.....Jimmy Fallon.
the brains of the network are on at midnight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actor
01-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Dumb idea #1. Ask an elected official from the other party to support your candidate.
Dumb idea #2. When said elected official refuses (like you didn't see that coming) close down three lanes of the busiest bridge in the world to punish him.
Dumb idea #3. You think this will never be found out and there will be no repercussions.
Conclusion. Whoever came up with this idea is the dumbest guy in the room.
But no one had the guts to tell said dumbest guy in the room that this was a dumb idea.
Conclusion. They are all afraid of the dumbest guy in the room.
Now who could they be afraid to tell that his idea was dumb? Possibly the guy with a reputation as a bully?

JustRalph
01-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Wow!

thaskalos
01-11-2014, 03:12 AM
I have to agree with Tom. The more I look at Christie...the more presidential he seems to me.

reckless
01-11-2014, 07:54 AM

You can bet that Chris Christie worries more about ice cream cones than he does traffic cones, for sure.

Tom
01-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Christie is small time loser - with a big mouth and small brain.
The real story here is the undeniable bias of the press and ignorance of 47% of America. This is a litmus test for idiots. I eagerly await the usual parade of them to weigh in here.

classhandicapper
01-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I haven't followed the details of this story. So I don't have an opinion on it or know if it's significant. But I know that there's no chance in hell I was going to vote for Christie anyway. Anything that diminishes his chances of getting the republican nomination is a good thing in my mind. I don't think a moderate "politician" can fix what's wrong with this country. It's going to take a congress and president that are willing to self destruct politically to do the right thing. There aren't may people with that kind of character and Christie is definitely not one of them.

schweitz
01-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I haven't followed the details of this story. So I don't have an opinion on it or know if it's significant. But I know that there's no chance in hell I was going to vote for Christie anyway. Anything that diminishes his chances of getting the republican nomination is a good thing in my mind. I don't think a moderate "politician" can fix what's wrong with this country. It's going to take a congress and president that are willing to self destruct politically to do the right thing. There aren't may people with that kind of character and Christie is definitely not one of them.

Ditto :ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Andrew McCarthy writes a good piece in National Review, adding some context to this scandal.

New Scandal, Same Old Christie (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/368176/new-scandal-same-old-christie-andrew-c-mccarthy)

Tom
01-11-2014, 03:46 PM
107 minutes of BS.
He certainly is a democrat!

JustRalph
01-11-2014, 05:03 PM

2nd!

Saratoga_Mike
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM

He was NEVER going to be the GOP nominee with or without BridgeGate. He isn't presidential, and he never will be. In addition, there's a lot more baggage than BridgeGate.

Rookies
01-12-2014, 10:06 AM
C. Christie:

Dead Bridge Jumper Walking! :lol:

mountainman
01-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Call me cynical, but it's hard to believe he was totally unaware of this. And if he did order the code red, somebody he axed will be pressured into giving him up.

Tom
01-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Of course he know about it.
He spend 107 minutes denying it.
No one who didn't do it could talk that long about it!

mountainman
01-12-2014, 04:47 PM
He's suspiciously vague when questioned about a purported "traffic study."
That aspect of the scandal may prove his undoing.

nijinski
01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Call me cynical, but it's hard to believe he was totally unaware of this. And if he did order the code red, somebody he axed will be pressured into giving him up.

Yes I would love to follow the future of the axed . Did they lose their benefits
like everyone else that's waiting for employment ?
I think hey will e taken care of .

Ocala Mike
01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
I think hey will e taken care of .

Like Jack Ruby took care of Oswald? Or maybe like Jimmy Hoffa; say, are any big structures going up in Jersey any time soon? Maybe time for some concrete to be poured in Fort Lee.

nijinski
01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Like Jack Ruby took care of Oswald? Or maybe like Jimmy Hoffa; say, are any big structures going up in Jersey any time soon? Maybe time for some concrete to be poured in Fort Lee.

LOL , I'll have to look into that , not much big construction in my a but
always strip malls in CC's favorite areas .

riskman
01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Firing his Deputy Chief of Staff was absolutely the right move to make. Cristi said she lied but it looks like the real reason is his Deputy put the insane deal in writing and used government resources in a criminal manner. Stick a fork in Christie, he is done. He might spend some time trying to clean up Camden. The city is a disgrace,just a mess and the epidemic is spreading.

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2014, 02:49 AM
You are probably correct. I am sure that not enough people think about how poorly injured soldiers are treated by the government when they get back.They seemed to think about it a helluva lot more when Bush was president though.

Would read about it all the time in the NY Times, along with all the other left-leaning rags. Once Obama stepped into the office, it's like coverage of all military causalities and battles ceased...as if we immediately pulled out of these theaters the minute Obama became president.

Of course, we didn't pull out...the battles kept going...the casualties kept mounting, but strangely, the reporters stopped reporting.

Funny how that works, isn't it Robert?

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2014, 02:53 AM
He was NEVER going to be the GOP nominee with or without BridgeGate. He isn't presidential, and he never will be. In addition, there's a lot more baggage than BridgeGate.WTF is "presidential" these days anyway?

That bridge was burned long ago...there is no requirement to be "presidential" any longer. We have elected admitted dope smokers, coke snorters and intern ****ers...there is no going back...Christie is as presidential as the rest of them these days.

lamboguy
01-13-2014, 04:30 AM
if Hillary doesn't run this guy is a cinch to become the next president, if she does run he will still get nominated and we could easily get a right wing 3rd party president. there is a very high percentage of people in this country that are not liberal or progressive, maybe as high as 47% now, they could easily split up enough of the vote to get a legit 3rd party winner in the next election.

i don't live in New Jersey, so i could really give a rats ass what he did to tht traffic on the GW. a matter of fact i don't blame him for doing what he had to do.

about the only thing i really care about is how this dope kept the price of gold so cheap and the chinese are winding up with all the gold.

fast4522
01-13-2014, 05:09 AM
"if Hillary doesn't run"

Every indication is that Hillary will run, the establishment for both party's are more the factoring that occurs. When that happens the strategy will be rope a dope because now she has serious baggage to carry into a race. The other pressing issue will be Obamacare front and center, everyone who got burnt to a crisp not being able to keep their doctor and paying twice or better than before Obamacare will be against her. There will be no cakewalks afforded to any democrat in the next two election cycles.

lamboguy
01-13-2014, 05:41 AM
i dont think the democrats have another candidatethat could possibly win, and she looks like a cinch no matter what baggage she carries, she can make her husband vp

Tom
01-13-2014, 07:31 AM
An appropriate question to ask her would be, "Mrs. Clinton, how many American troops are you willing to sacrifice to win this election?"

Robert Goren
01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
They seemed to think about it a helluva lot more when Bush was president though.

Would read about it all the time in the NY Times, along with all the other left-leaning rags. Once Obama stepped into the office, it's like coverage of all military causalities and battles ceased...as if we immediately pulled out of these theaters the minute Obama became president.

Of course, we didn't pull out...the battles kept going...the casualties kept mounting, but strangely, the reporters stopped reporting.

Funny how that works, isn't it Robert?To some extent that is true. Of course the American causalities in Iraq stopped. The right wing press which was quiet during the Bush presidency picked up the coverage that the left wing press dropped. But even the right wing press moved on when Obamacare was passed. Funny how that happened.
The poor treatment of our injured returning servicemen has spanned many presidents and dates back to, at least, the Vietnam War. Whether it is Agent Orange or Gulf War Syndrome, the politicians have ignored the soldiers and their needs. They shouldn't need the NY Times etc to tell them what to do. But seems that is the only way we get any action at all.

JustRalph
01-13-2014, 09:34 AM
i dont think the democrats have another candidatethat could possibly win, and she looks like a cinch no matter what baggage she carries, she can make her husband vp

I don't think he can be VP

Although I've heard arguments for and against

She's not that stupid. But he does want to be on the Supreme court I'm sure. But since he's been disbarred and has no law license, not sure that would work either

JustRalph
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Eric Holder to the rescue

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/politics/christie-feds-investigating-sandy-ads/index.html

Show that you can compete with Hillary in a poll and they pull out all the stops

HUSKER55
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
we have a friend who does munipal highway engineering and bridges and etc along with the planning and etc.

According to her, this is politics because that is not the way information is gathered about traffic on a bridge.

I did not dig into it because I don't like the guy and we were having dinner at a piano bar so we let it go.

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't think he can be VP

Although I've heard arguments for and against

She's not that stupid. But he does want to be on the Supreme court I'm sure. But since he's been disbarred and has no law license, not sure that would work eitherPutting Bill on the ticket would be a huge sign of weakness at the top. That's one reason she would never do it.

That and I don't think she likes the guy very much... :lol:

Clocker
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
WTF is "presidential" these days anyway?

That bridge was burned long ago...there is no requirement to be "presidential" any longer.

“When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.” -- Clarence Darrow

NJ Stinks
01-15-2014, 02:26 AM
No doubt you'll see this sooner or later somewhere. It's from Jimmy Fallon's show tonight and it's kind of amusing! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHV0LLvhXM

Tom
01-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Christi explained that he was just trying to keep people from leaving New Jersey.

FantasticDan
01-15-2014, 02:01 PM
No doubt you'll see this sooner or later somewhere. It's from Jimmy Fallon's show tonight and it's kind of amusing! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHV0LLvhXM
:ThmbUp: :D :ThmbUp:
Embedded:

VKHV0LLvhXM

Tom
01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Christi gave his State of the State said and said there was good news and bad news.

Good news - "Less people are leaving the state to go to NY" :rolleyes:
Bad news - "We are still New Jersey."

Saratoga_Mike
02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
WTF is "presidential" these days anyway?

That bridge was burned long ago...there is no requirement to be "presidential" any longer. We have elected admitted dope smokers, coke snorters and intern ****ers...there is no going back...Christie is as presidential as the rest of them these days.

It's easy - someone who the American people can envision as president. That isn't Chris Christie. It never was. It never will be. As I said in my prior post, CC is the 2016 version of Rudy...right down to the primary state where his self-indulgent, trite, bombastic act plays well (i.e., Florida).

Oh, and if the latest news is correct, none of this will matter - he will not be running, even the political genius (sarcasm) Ken Langone will drop his support.

TJDave
02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
TRENTON (The Borowitz Report)—Responding to fresh charges that he knew about the controversial lane closures on the George Washington Bridge last fall, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie today asked for the public’s patience while he makes up a new story.

“Today you have heard some allegations that are shocking and explosive,” he told reporters at a hastily called press conference. “All I ask is that the people of the great state of New Jersey give me sufficient time to invent a new story that explains my way out of this.”

Governor Christie said that he had spent the past few hours in closed-door meetings trying to come up with a new narrative that absolves him of any guilt in the bridge scandal, but while he was definitely denying the allegations, “so far, we don’t have a winner.”

“We’ve been tossing around everything from my not remembering events correctly to my having a bad reaction to medication,” he said. “We even floated the idea of my being under too much pressure and having to ‘blow off steam.’ As I said, we don’t have a winner yet. But I want to reassure the people of New Jersey that I am working very hard on this.”

The Governor said he understood that “things don’t look very good for me right now,” but he urged the public against rushing to judgment, adding, “I will get back to you with a well-crafted and plausible story as soon as possible.”

PaceAdvantage
02-02-2014, 06:20 PM
It's easy - someone who the American people can envision as president. That isn't Chris Christie. It never was. It never will be. As I said in my prior post, CC is the 2016 version of Rudy...right down to the primary state where his self-indulgent, trite, bombastic act plays well (i.e., Florida).

Oh, and if the latest news is correct, none of this will matter - he will not be running, even the political genius (sarcasm) Ken Langone will drop his support.I think you're being unrealistic and silly. Now I say this before this "controversy" was unearthed recently.

Now all bets are off.

Why is this a controversy again? Some lane closures for a few days off the bridge? Really?

If Christie weren't considered a serious threat to run for President on the Republican side one day, does anyone think this "controversy" would have ever seen the light of day?

Probably not.

This country is sad when it comes to politics.

Tom
02-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Why is this a controversy again? Some lane closures for a few days off the bridge? Really?

That in itself was nothing.
His absurd 107 minute reply to it shows me what a bozo he is.
not that i didn't already know he was a bozo. :rolleyes:
An innocent man walks up to the mic and says I had nothing to do with it. And walks away.

hcap
02-04-2014, 06:03 AM
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/

Fired Christie Staffer to Plead 5th, Won’t Turn Over Docs

Bridget Kelly, the former deputy chief of staff who Gov. Chris Christie fired last month, will plead the 5th before a legislative panel and is refusing to turn over subpoenaed documents.

lamboguy
02-04-2014, 08:32 AM
if Bill O'Reilly interviews can get Bush and Obama re-elected, Chris Christie should be a piece of cake.

Robert Goren
02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
One less republican who could win in 2016. It is looking more and like the 2016 primary season will look like the 2012 one, A combination of candidates who are selling books, candidates who got beat in their last general elections bad, candidates who lack any charisma and candidates who are the fringes of the party. All of them completely out of touch with what most American voters want. Great news for us democrats.

Greyfox
02-04-2014, 09:05 AM
One less republican who could win in 2016. It is looking more and like the 2016 primary season will look like the 2012 one, A combination of candidates who are selling books, candidates who got beat in their last general elections bad, candidates who lack any charisma and candidates who are the fringes of the party. All of them completely out of touch with what most American voters want. Great news for us democrats.

I don't know that they are out of touch with what most American voters want, but otherwise what your saying has a lot of truth to it.
The Republicans rejected Jon Hunstman last time out, and to my thinking he's a very sensible man.
To date, the list of Republican candidates does not look very appealing.

JustRalph
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Check out the bottom name.......

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tp.jpg

Robert Goren
02-14-2014, 11:50 AM

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tp.jpgFortunately the tea party represents only small amount of voters and while most voters agree with parts of the tea party agenda, they do not agree with most of it. Huckabee , Rice, Christie are the only ones on that list that would stand a chance in a national election. The tea party support helps in GOP primary elections, it is huge negative in general elections outside of very conservative areas. Nothing will bring out democrats to vote faster than a tea party backed candidate.

riskman
02-14-2014, 12:10 PM

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/tp.jpg

If any of the top 10 on the Tea Party list were nominated by the Republicans, they would most likely lose the general election against any Democrat nominee. The 11th and 12th, Rice and Santorum might have some appeal to the general electorate but again they would have to get past the primaries.

Despite yours, mine and others conservative leanings you have to have a candidate with broad general appeal to win the Presidency IMO. There might be somebody in the wings that could pull it off for the Republicans,(J. Bush) or someone similar that is not a ideological set in their thinking. I do not think Reagan could do it today.

JustRalph
02-14-2014, 12:30 PM
If any of the top 10 on the Tea Party list were nominated by the Republicans, they would most likely lose the general election against any Democrat nominee. The 11th and 12th, Rice and Santorum might have some appeal to the general electorate but again they would have to get past the primaries.

Despite yours, mine and others conservative leanings you have to have a candidate with broad general appeal to win the Presidency IMO. There might be somebody in the wings that could pull it off for the Republicans,(J. Bush) or someone similar that is not a ideological set in their thinking. I do not think Reagan could do it today.

Agreed. That's why there will never be another Republican President in my lifetime I am pretty sure. Too many takers.

Controlling the House and Senate should be the only goal of those not voting Democrat. Eventually acquiring a veto proof majority in both houses should be the ultimate goal. Making the Presidency an impotent figurehead sounds great to me.

Clocker
02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Too many takers.

That concept is so last week. And politically incorrect. We don't have makers and takers any more. We have job-locked and passion followers.

Robert Goren
02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Agreed. That's why there will never be another Republican President in my lifetime I am pretty sure. Too many takers.

Controlling the House and Senate should be the only goal of those not voting Democrat. Eventually acquiring a veto proof majority in both houses should be the ultimate goal. Making the Presidency an impotent figurehead sounds great to me.How many years do you left? I think that GOP has real chance of winning the presidency in 2016 if they put up a good candidate. How likely they are to nominate a good candidate is another question.
The chances of the GOP getting a veto proof majority in the Senate is very slim. It would take a lot of moderate republicans to get there and right now the right doesn't seem to be willing to allow that to happen. Even then it would take few special election wins and/or governor appointed senators.

davew
03-28-2014, 02:37 PM
I like the way he has handled this 'scandel' better than the white house has handled all their numerous scandels.

Tom
03-28-2014, 02:56 PM
What ones did they handle? :confused::confused::confused:

fast4522
04-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I think that he stuck the proverbial fork in himself in front of Sheldon Gary Adelson on the GOP hopeful Presidential junket he just went to.

davew
04-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I think that he stuck the proverbial fork in himself in front of Sheldon Gary Adelson on the GOP hopeful Presidential junket he just went to.

It would be hard to turn down the hundreds of millions Adelson is spewing to keep gambling off the internet. Atlantic City is hurting, but probably not going to get better. I am not sure how New Jerseys online poker is doing. Do they have gambling on sports (at casinos or online)?

NJ Stinks
04-01-2014, 06:13 PM
It would be hard to turn down the hundreds of millions Adelson is spewing to keep gambling off the internet. Atlantic City is hurting, but probably not going to get better. I am not sure how New Jerseys online poker is doing. Do they have gambling on sports (at casinos or online)?

Online poker not doing as well as expected. No sports gambling here but the NJ state government is pushing hard to legalize sports betting in NJ. Currently, it's illegal by federal statute and a lower federal court ruled against the State of NJ last year. NJ appealed the ruling and wants to present it's case for allowing sports betting to the Supreme Court. I don't know if the Supreme Court will hear the case or not.

I should add the people of NJ passed a public referendum to legalize sports betting. About 2/3's of the state voters want sports betting. I love this state! :cool:

Saratoga_Mike
04-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Online poker not doing as well as expected. No sports gambling here but the NJ state government is pushing hard to legalize sports betting in NJ. Currently, it's illegal by federal statute and a lower federal court ruled against the State of NJ last year. NJ appealed the ruling and wants to present it's case for allowing sports betting to the Supreme Court. I don't know if the Supreme Court will hear the case or not.

I should add the people of NJ passed a public referendum to legalize sports betting. About 2/3's of the state voters want sports betting. I love this state! :cool:

I thought NJ had some sort of loophole on sports betting like Delaware. What's the difference? Different federal court jurisdictions?

NJ Stinks
04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I thought NJ had some sort of loophole on sports betting like Delaware. What's the difference? Different federal court jurisdictions?

No loophole for NJ, Mike. NJ wanted to pass sports betting before the federal law came into effect back around 1993. Some nitwit appointed by Christie Whitman wouldn't let the bill come out of his committee. So the bill could not be voted on.

Saratoga_Mike
04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Interesting - I wonder if the Supreme Court upholds the NJ ruling, then sports betting in Delaware will end, too.

NJ Stinks
04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
No, Mike. The federal law passed in the '90's grandfathered 4 states - Delaware, Nevada, Oregon, and Montana. Here a link to an article about NJ's efforts to offer sports betting:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/nj_cant_implement_sports_sports_betting_federal_co urt_says.html#incart_river_default

Saratoga_Mike
04-01-2014, 07:23 PM
No, Mike. The federal law passed in the '90's grandfathered 4 states - Delaware, Nevada, Oregon, and Montana. Here a link to an article about NJ's efforts to offer sports betting:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/nj_cant_implement_sports_sports_betting_federal_co urt_says.html#incart_river_default

I got it now. Thanks for the info.