PDA

View Full Version : BRIS ALL-WAYS

daylami
04-01-2004, 06:07 AM
hi, just got another newsletter / ad about allways. boy do they brag on it.

has anyone used it or have an opinion?

the files are really expensive, i mean either everyone is a sucker (p.t. barnum?) or they are making money using it?

RonTiller
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
A more general question. Does the use of expensive handicapping data put you in one of two categories: 1) you must be winning to afford the expense or 2) you must be a sucker? I've encounter Sheets players, arguably a group who pays the most, who claimed much success and some who claim they have never been able to make a profit. Same with Allways.
I have no reason to doubt any of them.

Some people have the knack to make a program or methodology sing like an angel and some make any they try sing like William Hung. So this is related to the question recently posed by andicap in another thread (Why Do People Give up Good Software?): Why don't people give up, who over the long haul do poorly with expensive (or any) data or reports?

I don't think this winners/suckers dichotomy is a fair description, nor does it do justice to the complexities of handicapping as a fascinating pasttime/hobby, albeit a potentially expensive one (or profitable). Some reasons a consistent losing player might stick with Allways (all of these presume the user has enough disposable income to afford data):

1. I like the program; I don't care for other cheaper programs, so I may as well stick with what I like.
2. If that smart alec Dick Schmidt guy can make money with this, I can too.
3. I've never been beaten at anything, and even though I've been losing, this represents my best chance to succeed.
4. It must be me. I need to buckle down.
5. I'll pull out of this losing streak any day. The racing gods hate me; its not the program or me at all.

Except for #5, I personally wouldn't consider the others suckers if they continued to shell out money they could afford to lose (not so if they are spending rent money). Granted, they might be able to lose the same amount for 1/4th the data cost, but if I'm going to race yahts and probably lose anyway, I may as well spend a little more to get what I want. Maybe things will start clicking later. Maybe not. But I'll enjoy the ride nevertheless.

Ron Tiller
HDW

Trijack
04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Why knock any program unless you have tried it. I have been a successful user of Always for a number of years. I know others that are doing good also.

I have said before on this board that I think one could win with any of the top software programs but one must learn to use them to their advantage. There is no black box.