PDA

View Full Version : Shortest time between races

RacingFan1992
01-07-2014, 12:52 AM
I was wondering what is the shortest period of time between races that one single horse has ran. One day a horse might run and 30 days later they will run again. Sir Barton was one that caught my eye. He won the Derby and four days later he won the Preakness. Is it possible for a horse to run in and win a race then the next day run and win again? Like if a filly won the Kentucky Oaks and the next day ran in the Kentucky Derby and won, is that even possible? The only horse I know that has won an American Classic and its defacto distaff is Nellie Morse who won the Preakness and Black-Eyed Susan but they weren't back to back. I didn't know if there was rules saying a horse can't run in both. I have noticed that when a horse wins the Derby they are treated like fine China for two weeks after and if they win another three weeks it is the same routine.

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2014, 01:01 AM
King Leatherbury ran a horse twice in one day.
Look him up

RacingFan1992
01-07-2014, 01:11 AM
One thing I would love to see is a horse win the Brooklyn and the Belmont. That would be a super horse to run a 1 1/2 mile race back to back.

Some_One
01-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Those in the Little Brown Jug might have to race 3 times in one day I think if there is a raceoff.

nijinski
01-07-2014, 01:39 AM
One thing I would love to see is a horse win the Brooklyn and the Belmont. That would be a super horse to run a 1 1/2 mile race back to back.

Sure , beat older horses at that distance and the run in the Belmont .
What would be the point ?

Sorry Racing Fan , don't mean to sound harsh , it's just tough enough to
watch some of the good ones make it through the Belmont . They are still
young runners .

RacingFan1992
01-07-2014, 02:19 AM
At least you are have "polite harshness". When I first started on here I said something about changing the distance of the CCAO back to 1.5 miles and this person being very rude said

"You do know it ran at 1 1/2 miles for all of six years don't you? Of course you don't. It's now a prep for the Alabama and doing quite well in that role."

The thing is it was run from 1971 - 1989 at 1.5 miles. Whether or not they knew that is something I never assumed. To the person who wrote that thanks for being the first rude person I have met on this site. I haven't encountered many here. Thanks to all the friendly nice people here.

nijinski
01-07-2014, 02:32 AM
At least you are have "polite harshness". When I first started on here I said something about changing the distance of the CCAO back to 1.5 miles and this person being very rude said

"You do know it ran at 1 1/2 miles for all of six years don't you? Of course you don't. It's now a prep for the Alabama and doing quite well in that role."

The thing is it was run from 1971 - 1989 at 1.5 miles. Whether or not they knew that is something I never assumed. To the person who wrote that thanks for being the first rude person I have met on this site. I haven't encountered many here. Thanks to all the friendly nice people here.

LOL , Most of our hearts are in the right place and we all enjoy the same
thing . You will be able to shrug some of these things off your shoulders soon enough .
There are some very good debates that go on here ;)

v j stauffer
01-07-2014, 02:39 AM
When I owned the great mule Fancy she ran 220yards about 2:00pm at Ferndale. Later that night she started in an overnight endurance pack mule competition completing the 1st half of the race. 61 of 122 miles the next morning!!

thaskalos
01-07-2014, 02:48 AM
When I owned the great mule Fancy she ran 220yards about 2:00pm at Ferndale. Later that night she started in an overnight endurance pack mule competition completing the 1st half of the race. 61 of 122 miles the next morning!!

What happened to the mule in the 2nd half of the race?

v j stauffer
01-07-2014, 03:09 AM
What happened to the mule in the 2nd half of the race?

The 2nd half was the next night. She performed like a champ. Went on to win a race at Fresno later that fair season.

RacingFan1992
01-07-2014, 03:38 AM
LOL , Most of our hearts are in the right place and we all enjoy the same
thing . You will be able to shrug some of these things off your shoulders soon enough .
There are some very good debates that go on here ;)

There are some debates that can annoy the crap out of you as well. Like this horse from 1920 vs that horse from 1973. What people don't realize is that they ARE DEAD AND NOT COMING BACK. "The best debates are where nobody walks away hurt and everyone understand everybody else's point of view" :rolleyes: I'm sorry even as I was writing that I could help but do this :lol:

DSB
01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I remember a mare named California Girl who won the last race in NY, shipped to Monmouth and won the first race the next day. That's the only time I remember seeing that on a major track. Happened around '72 or '73.

The fairs are another story. I remember one guy who ran his horse 6 days in a row and won 5 of them.... some crazy things happened at those fairs....

ronsmac
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I believe Running Stag ran back to back days.

Valuist
01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I believe Dutrow ran a horse in stakes on back to back days maybe 6-8 years ago. Think it ran at Monmouth one day and Philly/Parx the next (or vica versa). Can't remember the name of the horse.

cj
01-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I believe Dutrow ran a horse in stakes on back to back days maybe 6-8 years ago. Think it ran at Monmouth one day and Philly/Parx the next (or vica versa). Can't remember the name of the horse.'

Golden Man, second track was Delaware.

green80
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I believe Running Stag ran back to back days.

Checking the running lines 7 days was the closest Running Stag ever ran.
I have a gelding out of running stag I am planning to run near the end of this month.

Overlay
01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Back in the 19th century (if not more recently than that), didn't some thoroughbred races consist of multiple heats run on the same day (as is done more commonly in standardbred racing)?

Tom
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
A friend of mine had a horse that couldn't win at FL so he leased him out and the other guy took to the Fair Circuit in New England. We looked in the form and saw that he had won on Sunday, ran back on Wednesday, and was entered (and ran) Friday. Won at 5 furlongs, 1 mile-1/16, and placed at 6.
This was mid 70's.

Valuist
01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
'

That's the horse. I figured either you or Salvatore would know.

ronsmac
01-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Checking the running lines 7 days was the closest Running Stag ever ran.
I have a gelding out of running stag I am planning to run near the end of this month.
I must have mixed him up with a different european.

OTM Al
01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Back in the 19th century (if not more recently than that), didn't some thoroughbred races consist of multiple heats run on the same day (as is done more commonly in standardbred racing)?

They did. There's a book called The Great Match Race that is a good read and describes how this worked. Some of these races could be up to 3 heats of 4 miles each in distance to settle the race with fairly short breaks between. Here is the Amazon link to the book

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Match-Race-Americas-Spectacle-ebook/dp/B003UEQOBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389130130&sr=8-1&keywords=the+great+match+race

burnsy
01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
A friend of mine had a horse that couldn't win at FL so he leased him out and the other guy took to the Fair Circuit in New England. We looked in the form and saw that he had won on Sunday, ran back on Wednesday, and was entered (and ran) Friday. Won at 5 furlongs, 1 mile-1/16, and placed at 6.
This was mid 70's.

My friend from Boston used to go to those. He told me about a horse trained by Carlos Figuroa, "King of the fairs". Ran a horse 7 times in a 15 day meet, won a few and hit the board every time. They made a rule after that with limits. I used to go to the Rutland fair and the Standard breds run heats....the good ones used to win twice in a day.

VeryOldMan
01-07-2014, 05:11 PM
'

Wow - back-to-back Grade 3 races on consecutive days in 2005. A 3rd and a 2nd.

Here's his Equibase profile - I sure hope he found a good home after being such a warrior. Ended his career in a $4,000 claiming race at Finger Lakes. Survived that race, but I admittedly cross my fingers about how it all ended:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=6536444&registry=T

turfeyejoe
01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Back in the early 1970s, I saw a horse (whose name eludes me) win a stakes at Penn National on Sunday and win another stakes on Labor Day Monday at Pocono Downs.

menifee
01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a book about the earliest days of horse racing that I read a long time ago. They used to run the same horses multiple times a day in the 1600's and 1700's in the colonies and then the earliest days of the states with breaks in between the races. I don't believe it was until the mid 1800's until that practice stopped.

Irish Boy
01-08-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a book about the earliest days of horse racing that I read a long time ago. They used to run the same horses multiple times a day in the 1600's and 1700's in the colonies and then the earliest days of the states with breaks in between the races. I don't believe it was until the mid 1800's until that practice stopped.
It continued until a little after the civil war. Lexington, for example, ran nothing but heated races in the 1850s. Britain abandoned heats much sooner, but even there the practice persisted to run-off a dead heat; Prioress won the Cezarowitch in a runoff.

Rushaway won the Illinois and Latonia Derbies on consecutive days in 1936.

Hambletonian
01-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Back in the early 1970s, I saw a horse (whose name eludes me) win a stakes at Penn National on Sunday and win another stakes on Labor Day Monday at Pocono Downs.

You are referring to Steelwood.

One of the toughest horses, ever. had a long long run before breaking down at the Meds, definitely deserved better.

Hambletonian
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
My friend from Boston used to go to those. He told me about a horse trained by Carlos Figuroa, "King of the fairs". Ran a horse 7 times in a 15 day meet, won a few and hit the board every time. They made a rule after that with limits. I used to go to the Rutland fair and the Standard breds run heats....the good ones used to win twice in a day.
Shannon's Hope won 5 races in 8 days in 1963.

Rutland was cool, get to bet on a race that you already had seen once an hour before. Instaneous feedback on your trip handicapping notes.

nearco
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
This horse ran three times in three days, at three different tracks.. http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=588483#topHorseTabs=horse_r ace_record&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form

A 2m5f chase, followed by a 3m3f chase and finishing with a 2m4f chase. He won the first two and finiished 5th of 17 in the last race. He raced 8.5 miles over the course of the three days.
The previous week he had run twice, three days apart. In the space of eleven days he ran 5 times.

sandpit
01-11-2014, 01:02 AM
In the realm of more famous horses:

Conquistador Cielo's feat of winning the Met Mile in record time and then the Belmont six days later by 14 lengths is incomprehensible today.

Seabiscuit ran about 35 times as a 2yo, sometimes just a day or two between races. His lifetime pps are in the back of Hillebrand's book.

I believe Citation won the Derby Trial on a Tuesday before the Derby itself.

And in a bid of I wish I was redboarding, Don't Get Mad won the 2005 Derby Trial and then was 4th in the Derby...if he had won, I would have collected nearly $200K in Pk4 winnings :eek:

affirmedny
01-11-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Onion ran on Tuesday before he beat Secretariat on Saturday.

Hambletonian
01-11-2014, 12:53 PM
in Britain a few years ago that ran a chase at night on Thursday, then during the day on Friday. Both races had small fields and I guessed they figured he makes it around they pick up a check. horse ran very well in both races if memory serves